Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Timby posted:

Yeah, the novel is definitely bleaker. It's actually a plot point that Dr. Wu literally doesn't know the names of the creatures he's making in his lab. The tiniest glitch could cause everything to blow up ... and, guess what, there were a whole loving lot of glitches.

Another thing in the novel is that Wu is trying to convince Hammond to go to slower less dangerous versions of the dinosaurs (for reasons entirely unrelated to safety), but Hammond refuses because they wouldn't be 'real'. To which Wu replies that the dinosaurs they've already created aren't real either, they had to fill in too many of the gaps in the DNA.

Wu is a much bigger character in the book, and he makes the biggest gently caress up, which is adding the amphibian DNA that allows some of the dinosaurs to switch genders and start breeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JK Fresco posted:

This is honestly one of the most dated parts of the book. If this was a modern tech company there would be zero oversight behind the firehose of money until multiple high-profile massacres

Also Hammond would be 26 and wear black turtlenecks

In the book there were in fact multple incidents where people were attacked and killed. But the thing that really gets things moving is the reports of dinosaurs escaping the island and attacking people. They do not want Costa Rica shutting the park down.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MarcusSA posted:

Costa Rica doesn’t have an army though.

Apparently Crichton didn't know that, because at the end of the book the Costa Rican air force blows the island up good.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ante posted:

Every time threads like this come around people talk about the original book of whatever movie is being discussed, and holding it up like it was a modern literary masterpiece, and I'm like, "Well poo poo, I thought it was decent when I read it at seventeen, but not that good. Maybe I should give it another go?"

And then someone posts a passage like that Wu death above and holy crap that's bad writing.

Jurrassic Park is a very fun and entertaining book, but Crichton is not a wordsmith. He writes mass market fiction, and he writes like it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Elukka posted:

I tried reading the book for the first time recently and I didn't get very far until deciding "you know what, the movie does this so much better".

It just felt clumsy, and, say, the scene where they first see the dinosaurs none of the emotion of the equivalent scene in the film.

Sounds like Wu got eaten the way raptors are thought to have done it though!
https://emilywilloughby.com/gallery/paleoart/deinonychus-prey-restraint

The book doesn't really want you to have a sense of wonder at that point, as the whole point is that the park is a bad idea. That being said, the movie is far better within its own medium than the book. It has some interesting subtleties that the books don't have, like Hammond being a sympathetic villain as opposed to being a total jerk and a fraud. And the filmmaking is just top notch.

The book is better at getting it's point across and worse at just about everything else. Though Hammonds death in the books is just great.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Big Beef City posted:

Fixed a glitch where certain animals would break into show tunes

Fixed a glitch were the T-Rexes may eat your Public Relations guy.

NOTE: May cause them to eat your lawyer instead.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lmao they had 29 wild raptors running around

They had more than that, the raptors nests were in the volcanic areas that the motion sensors couldn't monitor effectively.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MarcusSA posted:

I forgot about that EPA bit which makes like no sense since the island isn’t even in the US.

Crichton didn't know what government agencies actually do. It would make far more sense for it to be someone from the State Department or the SEC. I suppose it makes sense if the EPA knows he's making dinosaurs and are trying to make sure he isn't letting them loose in the US. But they clearly don't know what Hammond is doing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

charity rereg posted:

I wound up re-reading the book again (lol) when i was searching for quotes earlier and holy hell yes. The scenes before this are loving great everything from Wu's death through grant poisoning the adult raptors is really great and suspenseful. then like even hammond's death feels like a contrived comeuppance that never happens in real life.

they make a big stink about counting the raptors to be sure they're all accounted for but that never comes up again and wouldn't been stupid & impossible anyway. they just wanted to see it and you know it. there's nothing of value in this whole section, nothing changes if you move a few of the conversations back to the lodge and just end the book like 15 pages earlier. I did learn the word "shirk" from this section though at a young age so thanks MC.

Nah, the part where Grant realizes that the raptors are trying to migrate is actually really good. It's the thing that really drives home the birdlike nature of the dinosaurs. The nest scene is pretty tense too, since they're walking into a loving velociraptor nest. You could do that back at the lodge, but it would be far less interesting.

And they do try to count the eggs in the nest. But before they can finish the (non-existent) Costa Rican military charges in and drags them off the island and then destroys everything. That part is a bit of a cop out I'll admit

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Romes128 posted:

he pops poo poo about how he built the park systems.

support is usually a part of a contract like that.

it's his own fault.

The reason the system needs so many fixes is because Hammond refused to tell Nedry what they are going to be used for. He had to develop the systems completely blind based off of vague instructions. Nedry argued that he'd provided the systems he'd been asked to provide, it wasn't his fault they didn't work properly because he hadn't really known what he needed to do.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Timby posted:

I forget the particulars of the book, but in the movie, Nedry himself was simply an employee of a contract firm. (When the systems go awry, Hammond tells Arnold to call "Nedry's people in Cambridge;" that's when Arnold realizes the phones are out.)

The deeper implication is that Nedry is under water, be it due to gambling or bad debt or whatever, which is why he gets into bed with Dodgson.

In the book InGen threatens to badmouth him to all his other clients if he doesn't come in and fix the systems for them. But in the book he's the owner of his programming team. He isn't in debt in the book, he's just really angry at InGen.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Weren't the loose raptors in the book cannibalistic?

The captive raptors that got free ate the baby raptor from the nursery, but the raptors free in the park don't ever show any sign of cannibalism. The raptors in The Lost World do, but that is because of the whole prion thing killing all the grown dinosaurs.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

They go to the nest because the entire framing device of the story is that dinosaurs have escaped the island and they don't know how many. Grant wants to go to the nest so he can look at the egg fragments and try to determine how many raptors have hatched, so they can determine how many may have escaped the island. Remember, Grant was an paleontologist who excavated raptor nests, he is probably one of the only people on earth who could do this, but it is clearly in his skillset. And remember that after the Island is destroyed that the Costa Rican government has no idea if they have killed all the escaped dinosaurs. They just have to wait and see if there are more attacks/sightings. So Grant was right, and the Costa Rican's destroying the island made sure they would never grasp the full extent of the problem.

He was a dick to Gennaro though, there was no call to demand that a lawyer with no experience with wild animals join them in a raptor nest. Insert lawyer killing joke here.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Outrail posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone who's made an omelet is qualified to count broken eggs.

I was responding to a criticism made much earlier in the thread that it wouldn't be possible reconstruct how many eggs hatched in the likely complicated nest environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's still really loving stupid, especially the way the raptors are portrayed as metal gear solid guards.

Well it had to be written that way. They took the loving lawyer along.