Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Trex attack scene is also amazing in how it builds tension and sloooowly etsablishes just how hosed everyone is. Even the sound design is amazing, and when you hear that first BOOOOM of the Trex's footsteps pretty much all the sound drops out except the sound of rain on the roof of the truck and the kids' panicked breathing and it's really effective at making the scene feel claustrophobic.
It was real important to Spielberg that the audience feel the Trex's footsteps and his effects guys put in a heap of work figuring out how to show the impact ripples in the cup of water so they could express it visually. In the end they achieved the effect by attaching a guitar string inside the truck's dash and strumming it to make the water vibrate.

It probably felt a lot longer because there was also a heck of a lot of footage of characters reacting to seeing or hearing dinos, which also greatly increased the sense of wonder or the tension in key scenes. The scene where they get to the island and see that Brachiosaurus for the first time is great because the actors pack in all the necessary emotions to prepare the audience for the rest of the film in a really tiny amount of time: Hammond's impatience and overwhelming pride, Grant and Sattler's wonder and awe, Malcolm's terror and amazed disbelief at Hammond's hubris, Gennaro's greed and the bored indifference of the facility staff:

Following up on this, here's a good youtube video which examines Spielberg's use of claustrophobic tight/framed shots for the horror scenes and his wide sweeping shots for the awe & wonder scenes, plus a bunch of other tricks & motifs he built into the film, plus a brief look at how the sequels didn't take the same amount of care and came off worse for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKALxKbjOaE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean spielberg is a legendary director. its a tough act to follow lol

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Still, the sequels are definitely needlessly cluttered and lack consideration for a lot of basic film or story elements. Especially Jurassic World (haven't seen fallen kingdom)

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazak posted:

Still, the sequels are definitely needlessly cluttered and lack consideration for a lot of basic film or story elements. Especially Jurassic World (haven't seen fallen kingdom)

a big part of it is the obvious marketing influence trying to sell toys. spielberg also didnt have billionaires leaning on him for a product line to fight off, afaik

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually no it did have an accompanying toy line didnt it? idk dont listen to me

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

We built a Super-Rex :smug: but unlike those idiots from twenty years ago we keep ours behind glass

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Now I'm just throwing this out here. This is a strategy session, all ideas welcome right?

what if we didn't give it invisibility powers.

I know I know. Big downer here but seriously devil's advocate. 1) It's cheaper. 2) People would probably like to see the dinosaurs they paid for.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The whole thing about kids being so jaded nowadays so we need a super dinosaur was such a stupid line. Kids aren't jaded: it's you. The adult writers are jaded and are projecting onto the kids.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JK Fresco posted:

The whole thing about kids being so jaded nowadays so we need a super dinosaur was such a stupid line. Kids aren't jaded: it's you. The adult writers are jaded and are projecting onto the kids.

wow i remember thinking that exact moment also. like dinosaurs are inherently cool when you're a kid. its the people that grew up oversaturated with media that need to make some kind of hyper super mega dino

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

marijuanamancer posted:

a big part of it is the obvious marketing influence trying to sell toys. spielberg also didnt have billionaires leaning on him for a product line to fight off, afaik

The first movie was definitely a big marquee blockbuster event with all the standard toys, bubblegum cards etc to go with it. However, it also feels at least equally like it was created out of an artistic desire to tell a good story in a compelling way. The sequels all feel entirely like they're driven purely by wanting to milk the franchise for every dollar it's worth, with nothing new to say except "there's a stegosaurus in this one!"

I've not seen Fallen Kingdom, but from what I've heard they at least got an oddball director in who tried taking the franchise in some weird directions?

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 17, 2019

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
The meta-commentary implied is that the JP sequels did progressively worse because people got jaded and seeing a dinosaur onscreen was no longer enough. Except, no, they did worse because they were progressively worse movies. People still like dinosaurs.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I believe in my heart that Spielberg absolutely wanted to film a t rex eating a little dog with artistic desire to tell a good story

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Voting Floater posted:

The first movie was definitely a big marquee blockbuster event with all the standard toys, bubblegum cards etc to go with it. However, it also feels at least equally like it was created out of an artistic desire to tell a good story in a compelling way. The sequels all feel entirely like they're driven purely by wanting to milk the franchise for every dollar it's worth, with nothing new to say except "there's a stegosaurus in this one!"

yeah each movie is trying to recreate the original in different ways as opposed to exploring the actual storyline of genetic manipulation and the risks and consequences

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but actually they do kind of explore that with manufactured dino or whatever it is in one of/the most recent sequels i guess. but not really in a noteworthy way cause i dont really remember

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

they made some new hybrids for JWE

Stegoceratops

Ankylodocus

Spinoraptor

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

marijuanamancer posted:

but actually they do kind of explore that with manufactured dino or whatever it is in one of/the most recent sequels i guess. but not really in a noteworthy way cause i dont really remember

Not so much. It's more of an attack on GMOs and the military industrial complex or w/e.

In the original everything is revealed to be a franken-dino. It's all of questionable accuracy, all the way down to appearance and behaviors. It's all incredibly dangerous and even containment of the creatures is unlikely to be possible.

In JW the original Dinos are the pure, organic Dinos. These end up having to work together with the humans to stop the unwholesome super GMO dino, ostensibly bred to attract jaded people to the park but secretly to sell to faceless military interests or whatever. They double down on it in the sequel, where the organic Dinos all need saving and preservation and it's revealed that the nefarious end goal for GMO Dinos was to train super GMO velociraptors to murder anyone you pointed a gun-mounted laser pointer at.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warbadger posted:

Not so much. It's more of an attack on GMOs and the military industrial complex or w/e.

In the original everything is revealed to be a franken-dino. It's all of questionable accuracy, all the way down to appearance and behaviors. It's all incredibly dangerous and even containment of the creatures is unlikely to be possible.

In JW the original Dinos are the pure, organic Dinos. These end up having to work together with the humans to stop the unwholesome super GMO dino, ostensibly bred to attract jaded people to the park but secretly to sell to faceless military interests or whatever. They double down on it in the sequel, where the organic Dinos all need saving and preservation and it's revealed that the nefarious end goal for GMO Dinos was to train super GMO velociraptors to murder anyone you pointed a gun-mounted laser pointer at.

well thats just dumb fear mongering and sucks

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Winklebottom posted:

they made some new hybrids for JWE

Stegoceratops

Ahem, if they'd studied the sketches in my 5th grade exercise books properly, they'd know that the Ultimate Dinosaur should also have Ankylosaurus side-armour, Velociraptor claws on each foot and the Dilophosaurus spit attack :colbert:

Edit: now I've thought about it more, it actually makes complete sense for the genetically engineered chimera dino to look like something an 8-year-old would come up with, since that's exactly who the InGen board would be trying to appeal to.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 17, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Following up on this, here's a good youtube video which examines Spielberg's use of claustrophobic tight/framed shots for the horror scenes and his wide sweeping shots for the awe & wonder scenes, plus a bunch of other tricks & motifs he built into the film, plus a brief look at how the sequels didn't take the same amount of care and came off worse for it:

Thanks that's a good vid

Another thing that makes JP so enduring is that grand John Williams score. You don't get that so much now. It's like movies nowadays are embarrassed to have scores you remember after seeing them, leaving us with sonic wallpaper.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

Thanks that's a good vid

Another thing that makes JP so enduring is that grand John Williams score. You don't get that so much now. It's like movies nowadays are embarrassed to have scores you remember after seeing them, leaving us with sonic wallpaper.

JP Thread owns. I really liked the Scoring and Sam Neill.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's like movies nowadays are embarrassed to have scores you remember after seeing them, leaving us with sonic wallpaper.
These days many films are edited using temp tracks (because the actual score isn't written & performed yet) and are locked down so tight by the time the actual score gets written that the composer pretty much has to copy the tempo & mood of the 'borrowed' score for the scene to work, so the poor fucks have to go in and make sure their score is pretty much the same as a really memorable, well known piece of music while also removing any identifiable piece of that music. It's no surprise that the result is sonic wallpaper.
Just watch any interview that Danny Elfman has done in the last few years and he'll inevitably tell you all about it. ;)

The Dark Crystal also had a super memorable score but the ads for the new Netflix series had some pretty unmemorable music so I'm a bit worried about that ...

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Blurred posted:

The author then says since these colours don't seem to serve any particular adaptive function (i.e. they're not particularly good camouflage), they must be a consequence of sexual selection. This means we can probably expect that dinosaurs (or at least the male sex of feathered therapods) were quite colourful as a means of distinguishing between members of different species and attracting mates, much how colour is used by modern birds.
This reminds me of a very good point I saw somewhere: We tend to think drab dinosaurs look right probably because large land animals tend to have dull colors. However, modern large land animals tend to be either mammals with poor color vision, or ambush predators that need the camouflage (for example komodo dragons and crocodilians). For dinosaurs though there's no reason to think they wouldn't have had good color vision, and many of them wouldn't really have needed camouflage. If you're a motherfucking Brachiosaurus I don't think you care if something sees you.

A counterpoint I saw was that it would be difficult for large animals to find brilliant pigments in sufficient quantities. I bring this up because the solution is interesting: In modern animals, brilliant colors are frequently not pigments but structural color, created with nanoscale structures that mess with light through technobabbley sounding solutions like "diffraction gratings, selective mirrors, photonic crystals, crystal fibres, matrices of nanochannels and proteins that can vary their configuration".

This dinosaur, for example, wears its brilliant blue not through pigment but through collagen structures that manipulate the light so that it reflects blue.

What I'm saying is,

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't remember how Wu died in the book, can someone explain? Or post it? I don't know if you need to put spoiler tags around it, though, we know he dies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think Sattler was outside watching the raptors attack the fence or something outside the hotel (?) and Wu opens a door to tell her to come back inside because something doesn’t feel right (the raptors were distracting the humans) and one jumps down on top of him, tears his stomach open, and buries its head into his intestines. Wu is beating his fists against it while it eats him.

Its a quickly paced scene that is very haunting.

quote:

"Wu was yanked bodily out the door, and Muldoon heard Ellie screaming. Muldoon got to the door and looked out and saw that Wu was lying on his back, his body already torn open by the big claw, and the raptor was jerking its head, tugging at Wu's intestines even though Wu was still alive, still feebly reaching up with his hands to push the big head away, he was being eaten while he was still alive."

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 17, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:drat: that's some poor writing though

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It does bring up the question of how many feet of intestine a person can lose to a hungry dino before it becomes a problem

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

This is a pretty cool vid

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Has Jeff Goldblum ever played a character that wasn't Jeff Goldblum?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kak posted:

What kind of monster would want that?

John Hammond account spotted.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Professor Shark posted:

I repeated this over and over in the Season 1 thread, but West World S1 is a lot like the JP novel, with small and seemingly insignificant warning signs going ignored until it’s too late (show becomes pretty not good fast though).

The Westworld TV series was based on a movie from the 70s, which was written and directed by... Michael Crichton! The movie has a very similar theme to the JP book, where an enormously complex system proves impossible to control.

The TV series isn't quite the same though, because I get the impression that while there are emergent properties that aren't planned for, the ultimate breakdown is still largely the result of the park creator secretly sabotaging the park and pushing his creations towards independence (and/or the corporate overlords pushing their own bizarre agenda).

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Westworld TV series was based on a movie from the 70s, which was written and directed by... Michael Crichton! The movie has a very similar theme to the JP book, where an enormously complex system proves impossible to control.

The TV series isn't quite the same though, because I get the impression that while there are emergent properties that aren't planned for, the ultimate breakdown is still largely the result of the park creator secretly sabotaging the park and pushing his creations towards independence (and/or the corporate overlords pushing their own bizarre agenda).

Metatextually, the tv series is also an example of how an enormously complex creation such as a television show can break down very quickly into utter garbage with just a few perturbations by its erstwhile creative "masters"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Every time threads like this come around people talk about the original book of whatever movie is being discussed, and holding it up like it was a modern literary masterpiece, and I'm like, "Well poo poo, I thought it was decent when I read it at seventeen, but not that good. Maybe I should give it another go?"

And then someone posts a passage like that Wu death above and holy crap that's bad writing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ante posted:

Every time threads like this come around people talk about the original book of whatever movie is being discussed, and holding it up like it was a modern literary masterpiece, and I'm like, "Well poo poo, I thought it was decent when I read it at seventeen, but not that good. Maybe I should give it another go?"

And then someone posts a passage like that Wu death above and holy crap that's bad writing.

Jurrassic Park is a very fun and entertaining book, but Crichton is not a wordsmith. He writes mass market fiction, and he writes like it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you didn't shoot it in the anus fast enough it would whip around and shoot giant deadly dino turds right at your face, which did as much health damage as a Trex bite

I fucken' loved that game so much when it was new, I also remember walking into an arcade about a decade later and finding a working machine and geeking the hell out. I used to play 2 player on my own, dual wielding those chunky plastic pistols. :clint:

Woah, look at moneybags over here. I bet you've never even gotten kicked out of an arcade for playing two players on lucky and wild with only one quarter

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Crichton was a great storyteller, but maybe not a good writer.

I miss him.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Kak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUxdloK1dU4

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

ante posted:

I tried reading the book for the first time recently and I didn't get very far until deciding "you know what, the movie does this so much better".

It just felt clumsy, and, say, the scene where they first see the dinosaurs none of the emotion of the equivalent scene in the film.

Sounds like Wu got eaten the way raptors are thought to have done it though!
https://emilywilloughby.com/gallery/paleoart/deinonychus-prey-restraint

quote:

It suggests that the unique foot morphology of dromaeosaurs was an adaptation to take prey in a very similar manner to extant birds of prey: by grasping with the foot claws, digging in with the hypertrophied "sickle" claw, and tightly hanging on to the prey animal as it struggles and thrashes around. The dromaeosaur would then begin to feed on it while it's still alive, until it finally dies from blood loss and organ failure, all the while standing on top of the animal to pin it down (a likely use of the unusually short ankles found in dromaeosaurs) and using primitive flight strokes with its "wings" to maintain balance.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Elukka posted:

I tried reading the book for the first time recently and I didn't get very far until deciding "you know what, the movie does this so much better".

It just felt clumsy, and, say, the scene where they first see the dinosaurs none of the emotion of the equivalent scene in the film.

Sounds like Wu got eaten the way raptors are thought to have done it though!
https://emilywilloughby.com/gallery/paleoart/deinonychus-prey-restraint

The book doesn't really want you to have a sense of wonder at that point, as the whole point is that the park is a bad idea. That being said, the movie is far better within its own medium than the book. It has some interesting subtleties that the books don't have, like Hammond being a sympathetic villain as opposed to being a total jerk and a fraud. And the filmmaking is just top notch.

The book is better at getting it's point across and worse at just about everything else. Though Hammonds death in the books is just great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sweet geek swag posted:

Though Hammonds death in the books is just great.

Yeah, him tripping balls on compy venom and fantasizing about how the next park would be better is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I really loved Operation Genesis. It was the park building game everyone had dreamed of ever since the movie came out and Theme Park on PCs was a thing. You build a park, set up concession stands, dispatch archaeologist teams to dig up amber, buy dino bones off the black market and then you research the most appealing dinosaurs. Of course accidents can happen, fences can fail and raptors can eat people, and themselves be eaten by T-rexes.

The intangible great thing about the game is that it somehow manages to capture the Spielbergian naivity and feeling of adventure from the first movie. You are really building Movie Hammonds dream. Introducing a new species of dinosaur to your park guests feels like a real achievement, and you are excited for the little park people who now get to pay $75 to watch it for two minutes.

When things go wrong, you get the feeling of running a park and doing what needs to be done to keep people and herbivores safe. There is no mean streak or feeling of trying to emulate an action game, even when putting down dinos from a ranger helicopter. You are trying to build and run a commercially successful park and the criticism of capitalism is limited to the ticket, ride and concession prices we have already seen in other Theme Park and Rollercoaster Tycoon games. It never veers into Jurassic World corporate sponsorship fellatio, and it has none of the mobile/facebook gamification that Jurassic World Evolution has.

I believe there should be mods out there to increase the 100 guests limit and make the game run in modern higher resolutions. I would absolutely recommend looking into it.