Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

i'm imagining an alternate timeline where zack sabre jr. and kota ibushi signed with wwe in 2016 and are only just now nearing the ends of their contracts and loving woof

Kota would have absolutely been extended months (minimum) for time away due to concussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

kota and zack have 100% had nightmares where they're wrestling okada at the dome only for him to do the 205 taunt and then suddenly they're in front of 20 sleeping folks on 205 live

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gaz-L posted:

Totally agree on the point about their branding being completely counterproductive, because it kills the ability to have the talent get endorsements (which is I guess the idea, but it's really stupid) because Macho Man endorsing Slim Jims or Sgt Slaughter as a GI Joe was cool because hey A Big Star is telling me how cool that snack/action figure is. When Dolph Ziggler endorses KFC, your average joe goes 'who is this jerkoff in a Colonel outfit?".

And it hurts WWE's prestige in the long run because being associated with a cool star with a high profile personal brand would pull up the WWE brand. When they sign a Brock or a Ronda, it's like they ALMOST get it.

I think they feel like they were hosed by Dwayne when he left for Hollywood as soon as he could so they made it so no one would get that big again. The problem with that is because no one can be bigger than the brands and/or the Mcmahons you can never get that hot ever again. I think they feel like they are getting burnt by Cena again now as well. Vince wants all the talent to feel beholden to him forever.

I think WWE doing all of these commercials with talent involved does not move the needle a bit because like you said, why do you care about this geek?

And the signings of Brock or Ronda always lead back to WWE and the Mcmahons. It is never "Look at these huge stars that have come to WWE!" it is always "We are so lucky to work with WWE." It immediately makes that huge star from the outside look weak and lame. It also removes any legitimacy from them since anyone with two functioning brain cells knows that WWE needs Ronda or Brock much more than the other way around.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TriffTshngo posted:

i'm imagining an alternate timeline where zack sabre jr. and kota ibushi signed with wwe in 2016 and are only just now nearing the ends of their contracts and loving woof

God those guys made the best decisions along with Ospreay with not signing with WWE. God I don't even want to think about where Will's career would be now let alone his mental health.

That is something I worry about quite a bit is the mental health of a lot of these folks stuck in awful contracts and not being used. I can't imagine not being able to do what you love and know you can do at a high level and knowing you are having prime years of your limited career wasted away with it. Like money doesn't fix everything.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

TriffTshngo posted:

zack would be given the gamut of british gimmicks (remember in the cwc when they had him say something about harry potter lmao) and ibushi would be in a tag team with nakamura that never appeared on tv.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He'd be given a monarchists gimmick

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Watching a wwe crowd try and watch a zack Sabre jr match would legit be hell on earth for me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TriffTshngo posted:

God, Gran Metallik is just... like he's so underrated in WWE that he doesn't even get noticed for Most Underrated votes despite pre-WWE being one of the top luchadores in the world. He should be in the conversation with Dragon Lee, Fenix, Mystzix and Volador Jr not doing whatever it is he's doing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yeah it's not like women are queuing up to bone Rey Mysterio.

that's just because they keep thinking they go to jail if they go for it.

Gumball Gumption posted:

He'd be given a monarchists gimmick

WWE Zack Sabre Jr would have been given a gimmick where he is pro-Tory and loves the Queen and he recently got a new shirt celebrating Boris Johnson's ascendancy.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

karmicknight posted:

WWE Zack Sabre Jr would have been given a gimmick where he is pro-Tory and loves the Queen and he recently got a new shirt celebrating Boris Johnson's ascendancy.

he would have like 4 different types of merch based around brexit

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

The_Rob posted:

Watching a wwe crowd try and watch a zack Sabre jr match would legit be hell on earth for me.

they would just sit on their phones until the obligatory "this is awesome" chant seven minutes in, I don't think it would be that different from any other E match

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Imagining a dark timeline where Pentagon Jr. signs a WWE contract and hangs out in catering unmasked and named Oscar Miedo (later shortened to simply Miedo).

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Imagining a dark timeline where Pentagon Jr. signs a WWE contract and hangs out in catering unmasked and named Oscar Miedo (later shortened to simply Miedo).

HE'S SO COOKY, NO FEAR AT ALL MAGGLE, NO FEAR.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

God, Gran Metallik is just... like he's so underrated in WWE that he doesn't even get noticed for Most Underrated votes despite pre-WWE being one of the top luchadores in the world. He should be in the conversation with Dragon Lee, Fenix, Mystzix and Volador Jr not doing whatever it is he's doing.

Meanwhile Caristico is probably going to have a 6 star match with Billy Brexit in a week.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

he would have like 4 different types of merch based around brexit

WW-LEAVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

I hope The Fiend shows up and destroys the set

wow I called it sort of, he popped up to kill Jerry lol