Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Haven't posted here in 2 years but I came to say

rannum posted:

the otter power gives you invincibility for 5 seconds which seems a bit unbalanced
Otter gang represent!
It's seriously busted. And this is nerfed from the trial version I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They do some really creative stuff, especially in the bonus spellcards you can access from the main menu. Each boss gets around 5 unique attacks that are more in line with the ones from the decimal numbered side games. A particular favorite of mine is one that starts normally then up and creates a second hit box that orbits around you.

And yeah Rumia maybe an irrelevant minor character but deleting her for OC notRumia felt weird. I do like stuff like jack o' lantern themed Koakuma and outer god themed Yukari though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

While I'm afraid of fanning the flames of this discussion, personally I think something attractive about Touhou to me, as an asexual/aromantic person, is that you can totally see the setting as asexual. That's not to say that none of the characters are in relationships or don't care about each other in that way--there's certainly been a lot of subtext in the comics especially--but more that no one seems to care that much? None of the characters define themselves or their motivations by their romantic relationships, if any. None of the stories are written around that kind of thing. It's just not... a big deal? At best we just see people being very casually comfortable with each other.

I dunno, I just like that a lot, and I think makes it stands out from most other media. Even in stories that aren't about romance, you always have one or two side characters who are entirely defined by their romantic feelings, for example.

I still remember the one chapter where Reimu and Marisa spy a human couple meeting under a snowy tree and shy away from them (I think it was actually a yuki-onna or ghost luring someone out?) and thinking to myself that's probably the most explicit relationship interaction we saw in the series so far. I hate to use this word but there's a sort of comfiness in how tame and low-priority these aspects are.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That is kinda how it goes in HSiFS Extra but wheelchair dodging/drifting is way better.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I got a 5 star Kogasa then used the free ticket only to get a 4 star Kogasa.

Actually got surprised, 0/10 noncannon game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's one heck of a spellcard failure.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

I mean, to be perfectly fair I watched the Touhou Luna Nights run but the instant someone said "I should probably explain the lore" I immediately panicked and muted the audio for the rest of the video. I mean, maybe it was okay but I'm not taking any chances.

He just explained the basic plot of the fangame, which is as throwaway as can be anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

3peso's been posting screenshots of Labyrinth of Touhou 3 on twitter.

Hell yeah, this is good news. Although my understanding is this might be a while away cause they're assisting/working on some other game right now?
Also I've seen rumors of a Steam rerelease of 1 and 2 but I can't find anything about that at all. Guessing it was just rumors.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I only found out about this pretty late, but the Chinese Touhou community is hosting an online international event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYpQAdkwAFQ

There's a Team China, Team Japan, and Team West, and they're competing in a bunch of games for either survival (no bombs allowed) or scoring, all on Lunatic (all the matches are listed in the video). It's already a bit more than halfway done but from what I've seen so far it's been a pretty impressive competition and display of skill.
Score is also counted using something called IScore, which weighs different shot types differently.
For example, in DDC Surival, ReimuA and SakuyaA are considered the best, so a successful no death/miss run as them nets 4 points (with each death halving the point total and a limit of no more than 5 deaths).
Meanwhile, SakuyaB is considered so awful that apparently no one has ever done a nobomb run with her without dying (the best is 1 death). As a result a successful no miss run as her nets 180 points.

I've only watched a couple archives of it so far but as a Normal player the whole experience has been pretty enlightening.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

rannum posted:

https://twitter.com/yoidori_rumia/status/1250717589455515653

Saw this come across my timeline today, seems like a neat rhythm game

I've actually been watching a friend stream this a couple times. It's pretty short (just 4 stages) but the gameplay is pretty addicting and the music catchy. I particularly like the last boss' theme.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
High School sukeban Okina has a real strong look.

She even has the yoyo.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Happy that Pure Furies remains consistently up there. Although I've noticed LoLK in particular seems to be THE popular modern Windows game compared to DDC and HSiFS.

Sumireko seems kinda disliked for how much of a big push she gets in everything.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Dunno what the posting situation is but since FMW came up, the FMW Complete Box got an update two days ago adding 5 more sheep based levels.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So that trailer was the capoff to the 25 27 hour Touhou Station stream they were doing, which was also sponsoring a 74 hour Touhou Game Jam that started the 20th. Site's only sticking around till the end of the month but if you want to play a bunch of super short silly Touhou fangames they're all up for grabs for the moment. They even had graphics and music packs donated by the Gensokyo Night Festival dev and DBu (respectively) to help out.

The Game Jam site also links to this collection of Touhou doujin game demos, some of which can be found on Steam, some of which aren't, and some of which are free on their devs' sites. It expires in a day and 20 hours from now but there's some interesting stuff there, like this half-decent Minoriko ARPG.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Cannonball is dead.
Ah, truly the fate of every gacha. But I mean, honestly, competitive board game gacha? Never was gonna really work. It made less in its entire lifetime than Lost Word did in a month (whose Twitter almost immediately posted a 4 million download celebration after CB's shutdown notice).

Not to mention CB seemed to be dumping money on production values like Live2D, 3D Models, endless music remixes and arranges from god knows how many circles. The one OST playlist I could find had 337 tracks alone.

E;FB but anyways, have one of the good things from CB:

leather fedora posted:

I guess a year is a pretty decent run and it went out on a high note, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lost Word ate its lunch and Aniplex wasn't happy about that.

It's a shame because I think the overall presentation and music is way better. Live2D & fluid 3D models beat flash-esque animation and paper-cutout wiggling in every department that isn't financial.
They definitely were, but the actual game part of Cannonball was its worst part. Nobody wants to endlessly grind a 100% OJ style board game and the actual battle/RPG bits were not significant enough to make up for it. The grind to max out characters was also pretty huge and the rates pretty bad. By comparison, Lost Word apparently dumped so much free gacha currency on players on a daily basis they had to nerf the rate in August because everyone was getting everything (it's 5% to pull any character and there's no rarity for characters, which, in terms of gacha, is stupidly generous).
Promotion wise, LW also ran a lot more campaigns and stuff pre and post release whereas CB seemed to be really slow about those and even failed some social media campaigns back in May, which was a sure sign of death throes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 14, 2020

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, I got linked to an article about that yesterday and wondered what it was about. Pretty cool but small so far, they're only starting off with only around 35 tracks or so for the first upload. Still, archival is always a cool and appreciated thing to do.

Last note on the Cannonball thing, but people pretty much extracted all the assets out of it. I dunno if this could be useful to anyone or if it might be considered :filez: (I dunno what the rules on dead games are), but I figured some people might at least want the music downloads.
Music, art assets, and everything else, respectively.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Mysterious Sponsor X made a Touhou 25th Anniversary website for... well, the 25th Anniversary. It's nothing to special, just a glossary of terms, characters and release dates.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

leather fedora posted:

- USING ANY PHOTO OF ZUN, ALTERED OR OTHERWISE, WITHOUT PERMISSION as he himself is not part of the Touhou Project series

Dang, I guess YHVH ZUN is a no-go.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Please help me budget my dying Touhou gacha game.

- 1% gameplay
- 1% game design
- 98% music and animations and art and voice acting

Anyway Cannonball dies on Wednesday.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 12, 2020

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Touhou Spell Bubble got an English patch for all its Asian EShop versions if anyone's interested in $45 musical Puzzle Bobble.

I doubt there's enough interest in the Western Touhou market in 2020 to release it elsewhere though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Seems 17.5 is no longer compatible with Windows 7. Guess whatever was causing all those crashes was a really big issue.
They also reworked the game mechanics. Now you naturally regenerate HP and mostly use water/fluids to charge bombs.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
drat, I've never been in one of those situations where I have a JP account for a game that later got an English version. While I can't read anything in it without my friend by my side I'm not sure if I should jump ship... it's a decently powerful account by now.

Squiddycat posted:

But are the girls being cute and doing cute things in it?

Definitely. There's been 5 events with a sixth Halloween one starting today (starring Clownpiece apparently) and they are:
1- Sakuya's on vacation so Remi hires Youmu and puts Meiling and Flan on maid duty. Violence ensues.
2- Kappa wargames starring team Reisen/Medicine/Byakuren.
3- Someone stole all the copies of Strange Creators of Outer Worlds (at least that's the cover they use ingame) and it's up to Marisa/Patchy/Alice to investigate by randomly attacking people. Also they're wearing yukatas for some reason. Also the aforementioned introduction of Akyuu and Kosuzu, as well as Yukari making a weird gap face that turned into a minor Pixiv meme.
4- "Best Sisters Contest" starring every single pair/trio of sisters in Gensokyo and out of it and approximately two dozen cheaters (Kaguya/Star Sapphire was such a strong one the Watatsukis passed out).
5- Nemuno wants to open a restaurant, Kasen gets fired up and drags Reimu/Tewi to help.

And I believe the main story is straight up "Your female self-insert OC is pulled out of plot relevant gacha currency into Gensokyo" and now Reimu is hopping between alternate Gensokyos like a high school AU, an edgy version, and so on.
The game also really loves putting the characters in cute alternate costumes.
EDIT: Also this.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All my favorites? That's a lot of Crown Princes.

Same. I'll try again later.
Miko's not in the game yet unfortunately. Strangely, none of the taoists or TD characters short of Mamizou have made a single appearance so far, which is a bit odd.
There is this one picture of Miko's legs you can equip as gear I guess and I saw with an inventory of nothing but 300 of it (this game uses one of those gear formats where you equip pictures of stuff).

Clarste posted:

Can confirm that the writing is shockingly sincere. Too bad the gameplay sucks.
I've always thought of the gameplay as FGO-Super Lite Edition. But they've been slowly remedying that lately. Nowadays you really have to think on party composition if you want to do Lunatic mode stages.
It is bad enough on lower difficulties that there's two separate Auto modes for the game to play itself (Shoot normal danmaku Auto and Use Spellcards Full Auto).

But if anyone's interested, you can basically coast through Normal mode and see all the story and writing with just the starter Marisa you get. On Hard and Lunatic, for the first 3 months or so, you could just use your biggest firepower/Youmu on Full Auto and still not have any issue. Now though, it's getting pretty decently tough. The story mode chapter 2 boss Marisa Alter definitely needs some planning to beat, and the latest event ended with the bizarre tag team of Byakuren/Rumia/Joon which was hellishly rough even for strong teams.
But yeah that's still 3 months or so of easy content and boring auto-farming.

If nothing else the character tierlist is pretty funny, if only because what characters are in what tiers (red stars are limited time).

Tewi's position still makes me laugh.
If anyone's starting a new account, you really want Youmu, you're basically set for life with her. Medicine and Sakuya are great too though.

By far the game's biggest failure is useless tank characters (Kanako, Byakuren, Meiling) and defensive support/healers (Lily White, Sanae, Reimu). At the end of the day the gameplay's all about bigger firepower and firepower support.
Also random aside but I think they made Yorihime's Last Word a Guilty Gear reference? She yells out "Yamata No Orochi Install" before buffing all her stats and using a flaming Orochi to attack, which feels really on the nose.

FractalSandwich posted:

Really? All my favourite characters? Are you sure you can guarantee that?
The game's been bizarrely good about featuring a wide spread of characters, unlike Cannonball which seemed stuck in the 6 to 13 rut. Even if they're not all playable, I think there's been appearances for characters of every title and manga series except 17 so far.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dang, and I just brought it from the HK eshop.

Fun game with some great tracks, but feels kinda old school in some ways. Not just in some of the music selections but there some real old memes referenced as well. Hadn't heard a Help me Eirin joke in a decade but there it was like as a whole running gag even.
Sorry if my post on the game being in English in Asian stores influenced anyone to make accounts and buy it there, I really didn't expect an actual English store release.
At least the Switch is lenient with multiple accounts and regions.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 1, 2020

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Lost Word got some Google award in Japan. The English account called it Best Competitive game but I know it has no competitive elements whatsoever.

starbucks hermit posted:

https://twitter.com/tasofro/status/1333353043421609984?s=19

Supposedly, 17.5 is being delayed to an unspecified future date
I feel like Twilight Frontier just can't handle deadlines on new games/engines. Like, ignoring Covid or the state of the world right now, Hopeless Masquerade had a similar trainwreck release schedule from what I remember.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Latest ZUN stream soft announced Touhou 18 is in development.
It's all in Japanese but there's a particularly hilarious bit where ZUN describes how much he couldn't stand Touhou fanbase purists and how he's glad there's less of them now, followed by JYUNYA saying said people would probably murder him if they knew he was making a gacha game now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

What does he mean by purist here?

Like people who only want the original shmup style games, people obsessed with the early windows games or something else?

The example given was people who bother those who got in through fanworks or don't play the shmups.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So 17.5 was announced for Reitaisai (which starts next week) only to now go back to being indefinitely delayed.

They tried to finish everything by the last minute but didn't want to release it incomplete so now they're delaying it less than a week ahead of the event.

HGH fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2021

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW5lF_Qb8Gs

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
A FE style fangame got an English patch a couple days ago. It had a playthrough going on here last year if you're wondering what it's like.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

The rate-up banner is just Youmu so it honestly seems to be a bad idea to dump anything into the game right now unless you just love Youmu the most (which, statistically speaking, you do. I guess).

Personally I'm not really interested in any of the available characters right now (other than the main 3 that they're giving away for free), so I'm just going to sit on this game until some new banners start coming out.

Youmu can easily carry an account for the first 3 months so they know what they're doing. I don't think she had a banner just for her at launch in JP.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Random thought, has Mamizou's tail expanded with every appearance?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good job and congrats on the 1CCs. The game is definitely on the harder side without the card system (or if you get garbage RNG before you've unlocked the ones you like to start with). Especially the insanity that is the stage 4 BALLPIT.

Snooze Cruise posted:

lost word really is just someone's self insert fic
The end of the second incident goes pretty strong on that too. Even though it's blatantly obvious who the silhouette character is, there's some decent writing there.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Today I learned that the term "hobgoblins" was apparently a mistranstlation and they're apparently "hof"goblins.
And there's also this random one off haunted mansion in one of the older 3 Fairies manga that actually had a name erased in English.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, dev just started work on LoT3 this year and is still using placeholder assets from LoT2. They also mentioned the reason for a lack of English translation being the price which makes me wonder about Chinese rates.

Tasofro also officially mentioned the Steam port for 17.5 and mentioned they'll show it off next Touhou Station. Which happens to be a Friday the 13th.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Buncha fangames dropped in English (they've been out in Japanese for a while) on Steam today following the Touhou Station broadcast.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1341460/Touhou_DollDraft/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1635980/Kubinashi_Recollection/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1533590/Three_Fairies_Hoppin_Flappin_Great_Journey/

Kubinashi's a pretty fun puzzle platformer if you're into those kinda games. The Fairy RPG is interesting in that it takes the gambit gimmick from FF12 and makes it the whole game so if you're into that kinda party programming thing you might like it (though it's also a pretty meaty game).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No it doesn't work because of newer version compatibility issues, but that doesn't matter anymore because they're bringing it in to the official release. Seems like it'll be done soon.
And this all started cause someone asked about it on Steam discussions and 3/4 of the old fantranslators showed up out of the blue to help.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Unknown X was an, initially, unknown set of mysterious sponsors (Unknown Sponsor X) organizing and funding new events, music, even gacha games... Later it was revealed to be a collaboration between Aquastyle (of Gensokyo Wanderer/Mystery Gensokyo fame), DeNA (Japanese mobage company) and xeen (a Japanese games developer that mostly does behind the scenes work, most recently on Trials of Mana but also Sonic and Mario spinoffs). They basically wanted to pay back to the community because Aquastyle made a fortune off of it (for a doujin dev) and can afford to fund stuff now.

They're behind Danmaku Kagura's big push but more than that, they're responsible for a rather large "Introducing people to Touhou" push. Most of their videos usually use a Reimu yukkuri wearing shades with Xs on them, using the yukkuri voice to talk about stuff, but there's a couple ones where some Aquastyle people show up.

Also yeah, most of the old doujin creators/devs just got aged out/crushed by the real world, the big resurgence of late has more to do with younger kids/teens straight up having Touhou passed on to them by relatives and family (at least that's the story I heard for Japan, dunno about the west). Add to that the general decentralization of most Touhou content/communities until recently and it gives an appearance of being smaller than it is. Obviously there were people that totally jumped ship to other franchises (ironically involving ships to boot) but that mostly served to make those bigger rather than particularly shrinking the Touhou one.
Basically if you were around in 2009 you're a dinosaur now.

Random aside, I'm seeing talks of Youmu defrauding the popularity poll with bot accounts now, to the tune of 800 ballot stuffing ghosts/bots.
https://twitter.com/toho_vote/status/1445385268731785219

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Miko also didn't get her complete look till the air fighters and had some good presence/development in those.
Like goddamn she looks off without that cape now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Always rember: blue bullets on blue background is an excellent design choice, almost as god as red bullets on a foggy red background.

Someone went and translated what little text Mystical Chain some 12 years after the fact and made an English patch.
Also from what I hear 17.5 's translation is progressing smoothly and should be done soon, if nothing goes horrible wrong.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
17.5's patch is near done and they rolled out some betas, they just need to iron out some bugs (some of which seem to be caused by Steam).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Does anyone have or know where to find the PCB Christmas mod from ages ago?