Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a complicated relationship with what is now the memory of my dad. so many parts of my personality and way of being were directly caused by him (my love for radio, tinkering, etc) but all of that was done by the time i was like 17, and then after i started my process of becoming a fully formed human he just wasn't there, and i feel that my 'failure' (really just dropping out of college and taking a few extra years to get to figgieland, in the long run who cares) contributed to his decline as he believed that the bastard kid that got him wedlocked didnt even end up being a good person. but i know i am and i've done okay, though i could have done better, but if we spend our time looking back, we're gonna trip on the next stone in the path. So, whatever, dude, wish i could fly you down for a weekend in the mountains, but you decided to turn yourself into a greasy spot on the sidewalk, so whatever. imma take the good memories of us listening to art bell or fixing up that mini bike in the garage and leave the bad ones where you woke me up with a punch to the face on my last day at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for sharing j

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's a complicated thing with my dad. don't mind the ramble

from some angles, my dad was someone to be proud of. he was the first cop in all of nz to have a beard, broke the rules until they changed them.

he was an undercover drug cop in the 70s. thankfully didn't end up addicted to heroin like a lot of his contemporaries. he tells a story once of busting a kid for lsd at a led zepplin concert. wow way to ruin a persons night.

and he then became a detective in what they called the indecency squad. thats the absolute rear end end of humanity there, he would tell stories of locking up dudes who had raped infants, that kind of absolute horror poo poo. there's some solace to be taken in that he's fuckin stuck it to the worst pieces of poo poo in our society.

so he's seen the worst of the worst. motor vehicle accidents, suicides. I don't actually have much of an idea about it tbh because surprisingly he doesn't talk about it much. for some reason, some dude who has the same name as my brother, had shot himself in the head with a shotgun, and my dad ended up with that gun. idk why he wanted it, kinda weird if you ask me.

and my understanding is that they didn't offer much counselling back in the day, he said he had a single session with someone to try to work through all that poo poo

and so he's emotionally utterly broken. can barely show anything that isn't grumpiness or anger

and he's awful to my mother. he's left her 5 times for other women, and then just moved back in without really discussing it. idk what to think about my mother just condoning it. he never does anything around the house, and when you start to talk about something he doesn't like, he'll audible moan over and over from the other room. as in, not when you're talking to him, when I'm talking to my mum and he doesn't like what he's hearing as he eavesdrops

anyone who spends much time with me irl will eventually hear from me how much I really don't like my father. he's OK to me, and I think i'm "the apple of his eye", but I wouldn't really know, as he's never said anything like he's proud of me or anything. he does lament how he never forced me to play rugby. but it's the awful way he treats my mother that makes me feel so much disdain.

he's a poo poo grandparent. my son said he doesn't feel much about him dying, because he had no emotional connection, which is disappointing considering my kids go to my parents after school each day. he just sits and watches youtube with headphones on, or criticises their hair cuts, or gets grumpy over where they've left their shoes etc, or asks fukin weird questions that they don't know how to respond to.

he was kinda ok when we were young. supported our hobbies. he was awful with money, but that meant I had an amiga :smugmrgw: lol
but he was quite focused on his own life. fishing and motorcycling came first. if he had spare time, he'd primarily prioritise those things. in fact his only parenting advice to me was to make sure to find a hobby to get myself out of the house

It's hard to know if I will miss him. I suppose I will, and its up to me after he passes to choose what memories to focus on. I've spoken of this day many times, because I am so tired of the negativity he brings into every room he goes near. I think my mum will miss him, well, she'll miss the company of another human. she's an extremely loving person, and I thank her rather than my father for all my best attributes

anyway. don't mind all the ramble, I hardly expect anyone to read or care, but it's good to put down how I feel I guess

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I got lucky in that regard because my mom is fuckin awesome

same, i got a great mom and they split up when i was very young so i really dodged a bullet there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
at least i ended up with a really good MIL i must say

echinopsis posted:

it's a complicated thing with my dad. don't mind the ramble

from some angles, my dad was someone to be proud of. he was the first cop in all of nz to have a beard, broke the rules until they changed them.

he was an undercover drug cop in the 70s. thankfully didn't end up addicted to heroin like a lot of his contemporaries. he tells a story once of busting a kid for lsd at a led zepplin concert. wow way to ruin a persons night.

and he then became a detective in what they called the indecency squad. thats the absolute rear end end of humanity there, he would tell stories of locking up dudes who had raped infants, that kind of absolute horror poo poo. there's some solace to be taken in that he's fuckin stuck it to the worst pieces of poo poo in our society.

so he's seen the worst of the worst. motor vehicle accidents, suicides. I don't actually have much of an idea about it tbh because surprisingly he doesn't talk about it much. for some reason, some dude who has the same name as my brother, had shot himself in the head with a shotgun, and my dad ended up with that gun. idk why he wanted it, kinda weird if you ask me.

and my understanding is that they didn't offer much counselling back in the day, he said he had a single session with someone to try to work through all that poo poo

and so he's emotionally utterly broken. can barely show anything that isn't grumpiness or anger

and he's awful to my mother. he's left her 5 times for other women, and then just moved back in without really discussing it. idk what to think about my mother just condoning it. he never does anything around the house, and when you start to talk about something he doesn't like, he'll audible moan over and over from the other room. as in, not when you're talking to him, when I'm talking to my mum and he doesn't like what he's hearing as he eavesdrops

anyone who spends much time with me irl will eventually hear from me how much I really don't like my father. he's OK to me, and I think i'm "the apple of his eye", but I wouldn't really know, as he's never said anything like he's proud of me or anything. he does lament how he never forced me to play rugby. but it's the awful way he treats my mother that makes me feel so much disdain.

he's a poo poo grandparent. my son said he doesn't feel much about him dying, because he had no emotional connection, which is disappointing considering my kids go to my parents after school each day. he just sits and watches youtube with headphones on, or criticises their hair cuts, or gets grumpy over where they've left their shoes etc, or asks fukin weird questions that they don't know how to respond to.

he was kinda ok when we were young. supported our hobbies. he was awful with money, but that meant I had an amiga :smugmrgw: lol
but he was quite focused on his own life. fishing and motorcycling came first. if he had spare time, he'd primarily prioritise those things. in fact his only parenting advice to me was to make sure to find a hobby to get myself out of the house

It's hard to know if I will miss him. I suppose I will, and its up to me after he passes to choose what memories to focus on. I've spoken of this day many times, because I am so tired of the negativity he brings into every room he goes near. I think my mum will miss him, well, she'll miss the company of another human. she's an extremely loving person, and I thank her rather than my father for all my best attributes

anyway. don't mind all the ramble, I hardly expect anyone to read or care, but it's good to put down how I feel I guess

pretty healthy look on it, all things considered. thanks for sharing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

echinopsis posted:

thank you for sharing, echi. It's important to feel the things you feel.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou everyone, really appreciate the support

just visited hospital. basically the lymphoma will continue to get worse, exhaustion and fatigue will just continue to get worse until he doesn’t wake up. because of his diabetes, poor heart function, and kidney problems, the doctor said weeks to months but more on the weeks side of things. we’ll find a care facility and he’ll just hang out there until he passes

I’ll arrange for some photo frames with the grand kids for him to look at.

I don’t wanna turn this thread into just about my dad dying. regardless once again all the expressions of care have meant more than you realise. thankyou

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
losing parents is so hard. I'm sorry you have to go through it, echi.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah man you're handling this with way more grace than i will, when the time comes

getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at least you get advance warning. i just got a shitload of CALL ME NOW texts when dad bit it. a little bit of runspace ahead of it is super good. echi i love you and i know i've given you eternal poo poo here but my heart is with you here buddy and i know you're a good guy that is going to get through this and keep going.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 23, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

echinopsis posted:

I read it and I care. This is some difficult poo poo to navigate and I'm sorry you're going through this

💖

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

at least you get advance warning. i just got a shitload of CALL ME NOW texts when dad bit it. a little bit of runspace ahead of it is super good. echi i love you and i know i've given you eternal poo poo here but my heart is with you here buddy and i know you're a good guy that is going to get through this and keep going.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
when my dad was diagnosed with cancer my parents never thought it would get him. most of the family was hell bent on keeping the messaging positive and victory focused to the exclusion of all else. they cut off contact with one of my uncles who dared to suggest we prepare ourselves for the possibility he did not beat it

as a result, when he slipped away at home due to heart failure arising from chemo and radiation, we were all destroyed. he hadn't even updated his will from when I was born. basically none of his affairs were in order. the family got obliterated, i'm not sure any of us has fully recovered and it's been 6 years now

a little heads up time and a realistic appreciation of the likely outcome, even if a bleak one, is much better in the long run. also apologies for not expressing my condolences earlier, this is a touchy subject for me per the above

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I read it and I care. This is some difficult poo poo to navigate and I'm sorry you're going through this

💖

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
speaking of wills, if you have kids or you're north of 40 (and i assume you are if you're reading this thread) you should get that poo poo in order and update it regularly

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

speaking of wills, if you have kids or you're north of 40 (and i assume you are if you're reading this thread) you should get that poo poo in order and update it regularly
also, generally speaking, if you (re)marry. but deffo if there are kids in the picture. we barely avoided probate, you do not under any circumstances want a will to require probate (or to have to apply for administration for those dying without any will)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echi man im sorry to hear this. deffo can relate to what you're going through as many others here can

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

mine's hilarious, it contains riddles three and there is a single combat clause if they get further down into the process

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

mine's hilarious, it contains riddles three and there is a single combat clause if they get further down into the process

how much are you leaving to yospos?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

Have a will unless you own a lot of things and have young children that wont be ready to manage the money you're leaving them, in which case put together a trust.

Have a list of passwords written down somewhere safe. Yes you can petition google to get control of your deceased relatives account but it is a huge pain in the butt, and only big places like google do it.

Do not die while overseas. If you feel you absolutely must die overseeas, at least have the decency to do it in a country that speaks english.

People die suddenly and unexpectedly all the time. Say what you need to say to people now, you may not get another chance.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

Have a will unless you own a lot of things and have young children that wont be ready to manage the money you're leaving them, in which case put together a trust.

Have a list of passwords written down somewhere safe. Yes you can petition google to get control of your deceased relatives account but it is a huge pain in the butt, and only big places like google do it.

Do not die while overseas. If you feel you absolutely must die overseeas, at least have the decency to do it in a country that speaks english.

People die suddenly and unexpectedly all the time. Say what you need to say to people now, you may not get another chance.
also: get down on paper what you want done if you are incapacitated (living will, do not resuscitate orders, etc.)

and yeah put together a document with all the information your heirs will need (passwords, bank account numbers, retirement account info, etc) to wrap up your affairs without too much hassle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

how much are you leaving to yospos?

None because nobody set up the LLC like i asked years ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody in here is a millionaire bodybuilder anyways, yall dont need the help.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

None because nobody set up the LLC like i asked years ago

dang... thats sad

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jonny 290 posted:

everybody in here is a millionaire bodybuilder anyways, yall dont need the help.

oh my god i forgot about this thank you so loving much

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FMguru posted:

also: get down on paper what you want done if you are incapacitated (living will, do not resuscitate orders, etc.)

and yeah put together a document with all the information your heirs will need (passwords, bank account numbers, retirement account info, etc) to wrap up your affairs without too much hassle

having a well organized home is both a great way to live and a great way to die ie not leaving a hoard of crap behind, having important and sentimental things easy to find and not buried in a hoard, etc etc. there was even a fad (maybe it's dismissive to call it that) and a book about it called "swedish death cleaning" that is all about the topic but i don't think you need to read a book to get the gist of it.

i am so not looking forward to mrs cob and i dealing with my in-laws' house if they pass away suddenly. they also don't have a will. we really need to start pushing them to deal with all this :/

my mom, i expect, won't leave much behind except debt. my dad left us pick-up truck equity and a duffel bag full of clothes and toiletries so at least it was easy enough to deal with all that after he passed.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

that's right

matti
Mar 31, 2019

PokeJoe posted:

that's right

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

[flexes wealthily]

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

check out my financials :smugmrgw:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my gains!! (both kinds)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

Have you seen the stock market? There's got to be at least a few temporarily embarrassed millionaires around.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

yospos theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McLw5Tg5GOc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he just had a cardiac arrest and passed away 😓

honestly the support and warmth everyone here has shown has been incredible and really, I appreciate it from bottom of my heart. love to you all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im sorry echi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we love you, buddy. i'm sorry that this all came on so suddenly, but also, he can rest now.

Now remember him and be a good pops. that's the highest honor you can give.