Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm a fan of "no longer with us" because of the ambiguity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Internet Old One posted:

He passed away violently in his terror.

wish that were me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
he passed away peacefully in his sleep, unlike the driver in the oncoming lane

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Fool posted:

I'm a fan of the suicide euphemism "made away with themself".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is the year 2024; you can just say "unalive"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mystes posted:

he unalived himself in his garage, and was found by his heckin' pupper

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mystes posted:

that's a good one too actually once you know why it exists

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

assed away

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sounds more like a euphemism for that thing i did a whole lot as a teenager

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

didn't claim it was a new phrase or it should never be used

and its odd how world war two killed and injured millions more than COVID but (english-speaking) people didn't change their vocabulary about death

that's because ww2 was our finest hour when "are boys" were brave and we buckled down together in the face of rationing etc , whereas COVID was an outrageous assault on "are freedoms"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Vincent van Goutse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

knox_harrington posted:

Vincent van Goutse

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Fool posted:

i used to bait people with this when i was a young edgelord

"oh, my brother? he's no longer with us"
"oh i'm so sorry to hear that, condolences"
"thank you. yeah he moved to Edmonton"

(i know i didn't invent this joke either)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that said, moving to edmonton does warrant condolences

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

that said, moving to edmonton does warrant condolences
img-endmonton-the-video-game.gif

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

FMguru posted:

img-endmonton-the-video-game.gif

I have it saved to my dropbox because apparently the original artist had it removed from the internet and it's kinda difficult to google for now

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

i used to bait people with this when i was a young edgelord

"oh, my brother? he's no longer with us"
"oh i'm so sorry to hear that, condolences"
"thank you. yeah he moved to Edmonton"

(i know i didn't invent this joke either)

"Poor Smitty, he was just a few days from retirement"
"What happened to him?"
"He took an early retirement. drat."

(That's one of the best Futurama episodes they ever made imo)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

knox_harrington posted:

Vincent van Goutse

lol I have had it once. Do not recommend.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

polyester concept posted:

I have it saved to my dropbox because apparently the original artist had it removed from the internet and it's kinda difficult to google for now

he did others about edmonton that weren’t games tho i do like the games ones. weird he had it removed since he also let his website lapse. ah, well

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

polyester concept posted:

pre-historic humans with too much ear wax simply passed away because they could not hear predators

they only had wired earbuds so they blocked their ears up way less

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
was having trouble relaxing and falling asleep so i took a sleeping pill, fell asleep in a reclined sitting position, woke up in the "neck crunched up against the pillow and headboard" position, and now i'm dead

avenge me, fellow olds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
when my dad was studying to be a nurse there was a guy who fell asleep on the bus and pinched a nerve in his neck so bad he couldn't move his body for like a week

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cold on a Cob posted:

was having trouble relaxing and falling asleep so i took a sleeping pill, fell asleep in a reclined sitting position, woke up in the "neck crunched up against the pillow and headboard" position, and now i'm dead

avenge me, fellow olds

:rip:

pleased to report that a mere 11 days after Sleeping Wrong my neck barely even hurts any more and I've regained almost full range of motion

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Carthag Tuek posted:

when my dad was studying to be a nurse there was a guy who fell asleep on the bus and pinched a nerve in his neck so bad he couldn't move his body for like a week

man, stuck on the bus for a week

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
btw, a physical therapist once taught me this exercise that helped a lot when i picnhed a nerve in my neck. idk what its called

i drew the outer arms too bent, but actually you stretch those as far as you can, and your palms outward and down. and you try to get your other hand to touch your opposite ear (gently, dont rush it)

just like that, slowly back and forth, for ever a couple days helped a lot

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 27, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

hand to head, sigh
throw hands up and shake head back and forth in disgust
other hand to head, sigh

I was doing this already???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

hand to head, sigh
throw hands up and shake head back and forth in disgust
other hand to head, sigh

I was doing this already???

lol

drawing diagrams is hard!!! but i mean, basically you stretch your head to one side while stretching the inside of your arm to the opposite side, then go to the reverse gradually, and back

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

btw, a physical therapist once taught me this exercise that helped a lot when i picnhed a nerve in my neck. idk what its called

i drew the outer arms too bent, but actually you stretch those as far as you can, and your palms outward and down. and you try to get your other hand to touch your opposite ear (gently, dont rush it)

just like that, slowly back and forth, for ever a couple days helped a lot

it's called a nerve glide. i have to do them for my physical therapy, even though they've done zero to rectify the problem

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Branch Nvidian posted:

it's called a nerve glide. i have to do them for my physical therapy, even though they've done zero to rectify the problem

yeah that seems to be what it was

shame it doesnt work for you. maybe it prevents it from getting worse? idk

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah that seems to be what it was

shame it doesnt work for you. maybe it prevents it from getting worse? idk

in my case it seems to be one or multiple nerves deep within my shoulder are entrapped. they glide just fine, but certain arm & shoulder positions immediately make my hand start to feel tingly and will eventually go entirely numb if i don't change the position. i'm worried the only real solution is going to end up being surgical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Branch Nvidian posted:

in my case it seems to be one or multiple nerves deep within my shoulder are entrapped. they glide just fine, but certain arm & shoulder positions immediately make my hand start to feel tingly and will eventually go entirely numb if i don't change the position. i'm worried the only real solution is going to end up being surgical

oh maybe i have that too? luckily the certain positions are rare and useless irl so it only appears when like i sit super awkward and read my phone in bed and pass out. like maybe 2-3 times a week at most

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh maybe i have that too? luckily the certain positions are rare and useless irl so it only appears when like i sit super awkward and read my phone in bed and pass out. like maybe 2-3 times a week at most

i wish that was my case. i get it while holding a book or my phone, while holding a gaming controller, while driving, any time i have to hold something that puts any weight resistance through my fingers and/or arm, while laying on my right side (it's my left arm that has the problem). i need to get an mri done, but my insurance wanted physical therapy to not work before they would authorize it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Branch Nvidian posted:

i wish that was my case. i get it while holding a book or my phone, while holding a gaming controller, while driving, any time i have to hold something that puts any weight resistance through my fingers and/or arm, while laying on my right side (it's my left arm that has the problem). i need to get an mri done, but my insurance wanted physical therapy to not work before they would authorize it

yea

one theory i had was that my medina nerve is too close to the inside crook of the elbow, cause esp in my teens and early twenties i would wake up with numb hands, and my arms would be flexed/tense, like fists by shoulders, elbows in by the body. so at the time i assumed the flexing cut off blood flow, but then that symptom went away and now its much rarer, but still only ever when my elbow is bent

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All my medicine doesn't fit in my medicine cabinet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

3D Megadoodoo posted:

pro tip: pile next to your bed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A rather inconvenient place for them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess you've reached the age when you need to upgrade to a medicine closet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

went to see a physio today about my back injury, and if he was more than half my age I’d be pretty surprised

I should heal fine though, just need to be careful with exercise while I strengthen it

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Subjunctive posted:

went to see a physio today about my back injury, and if he was more than half my age I’d be pretty surprised

I should heal fine though, just need to be careful with exercise while I strengthen it

They're almost always pretty young and since they work out a lot they probably stay younger looking for awhile too.

I've often wondered what happens when they get old. Do they go into nursing? Do they just take them back behind the clinic and put them down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
no they get sent up-state when they turn 35.