Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

I think I already posted about my le creuset in this thread but it owns
the star wars one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

syntaxrigger posted:

What age range is middle aged? I have heard more than one opinion on this.
depends on country and the source of info imo

in canada, based on statscan data of population distribution it looks like 35-54 is a pretty safe range for middle-aged (31.1% of the population). you could argue that 45-64 is a more modern/practical take on it that better reflects lifestyle

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

syntaxrigger posted:

I appreciate this and it is roughly how I thought about it which is why I was curious if there was something somewhere I didn't know.
cool. glad i went out on a limb seriousposting itt

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

good lord thats an impressive segment to sell to
right there in the name

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

cool maybe try funnyposting next!
cool snipe dad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

founded by ransom e. olds, as the crossword puzzles are repeately reminding me
you could never get anything for ransoming off today’s olds. american healthcare policy to date proves this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am pretty sure most people would describe a 46 year old man's death as tragically early
what do you base this on

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh, just a gut feeling.

seems tragically early to me, at least

46 ain't exactly the prime of life or anything but it seems like a couple decades too soon!
i am tired and old, i thought you said it wouldn’t be tragic somehow, good thing i asked a followup instead of getting all lovely

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FMguru posted:

rotor comin', yo
liches ain’t poo poo but bones and tricks

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

midsomer murders is my go to old person show

barnaby is pretty woke, all considered
mine is absolutely frasier

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i’m so dumb and i smell

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on my own getting old thing i find i can no longer reliably sleep through the night

i go to bed, wake up about four hours later, piddle around a bit, and sometimes i go back to bed for another four hours or so
this was fairly common practice for rurals before electric light

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

way to spoil my posting secret.
you have a talent for paraphrasing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

what kind of mask do you use? i’m good at keeping my mouth shut (for real!) so i use the one that only has the little but that goes under your nose and the hose is at the top of your head. doesn’t bother me much at all.

fake edit: this one: https://www.easybreathe.com/-p4440.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuLqAq-Dt5QIVzZyzCh3TCw7rEAQYASABEgKTT_D_BwE
tell me of your homeworld, usul

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

syntaxrigger posted:

This is a noble pursuit. Kill the squirrels and eat them.

They actually taste really good

Syntaxrigger's Easy Mode Squirrel Recipe
1 packet of italian dressing
1 egg
3/4 cup of milk
2 cups-ish of bread crumbs
1 cup flour
1 Deep Fryer w/Oil

Follow directions on the packet to make the Italian dressing. Marinate squirrel meat in dressing for at least 3 hours, preferably over night. Combine egg and milk and wisk until color is even throughout. Get oil to frying temp. While meat is still cold pass into flour then egg wash then bread crumbs then drop into fryer. Pull out meat when it begins to float.
jeezy creezy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

I can’t kill the squirrels. what is night without day? who is holmes without his moriarty?
it’s hard to find your mental match in an opponent, i get it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

my dad is a major hillbilly, and i have clear memories of him being out for blood wrt the squirrels and his bird feeders.

he’d stand on the front porch in his longjohns, shooting at them with a WWI-era enfield .303 or sometimes his cheap rear end .32 semiauto pistol.
i imagine the garage friend peanut gallery cheering him on

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm imagining what a 303 cartridge is gonna do to a squirrel and it ain't pretty
it is way way overkill but i imagine the gun and ammo are cheap in the midwest

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

we need a cpap gangtag.
it should be paul atreides in stillsuit headshot

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

i mean i guess i can imagine eyebrows bushy enough to trim but they'd have to be pretty bad
anything below monarch level is cowardice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qirex posted:

that reminds me if you're old enough to get more than 20% of the pop culture jokes on the venture brothers you belong in this thread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

pram posted:

they can be pretty hamfisted. most of the refs are early gen-x stuff, even late boomer. i mean do kids these days even know who the gently caress jonny quest was, the entire premise the show is parodying?
some of the gap is helped by nick at nite or local equivalent. jonny quest ran all the time on ytv Canada in the early 90s if not the late 80s

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

James Baud posted:

General question, not necessarily specific to this show: How is a person supposed to recognize that they're missing X percent of the pop culture references when, by definition, they're only missing the ones they don't know?

Surely not all the references are that hamfisted?
it’s not really about specific %, it’s “mostly” vs. “some”. also hamfisted isn’t always bad particularly in comedy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qirex posted:

that's only level one of reference getting, if you take a character like wide wale he's like 3 jokes in 1: he's italian Kingpin but also he's a whale guy but also "wale" is the gauge of corduroy fabric, of which his suit is made
he’s also a reference to a dc villain, tobias whale, who was their kingpin knockoff

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

vb throwaway pun name villains like the radical left, vendata, haranguetan, phineas phage, etc are always a hoot to me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

Such a great design/concept. :allears:
it’s one of the rare instances where him being racist seems integral to the gag

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i pulled something near my tailbone and i can only ambulate by stooping over and clomping around. i am thrumming with elderitch energies

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

don’t worry coac. it’s okay to hang out with younger people when you’re an adult.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/1033395825353871361?s=21

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

posting in yospos a post from twitter about posters posting in yospos
my age-related lower back pain unchains me from the mortal rules of polite society

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

what are "akuma" and "dan"?
pull the other one, woodhouse

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

i swear, i have no idea who those people are supposed to be

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i may have been born at night woodhouse but i wasn’t born last night

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

street fighter characters i know: ken, ryu, blanka, dhalsim, guile, raul julia, m bison, mike tyson, that spanish guy who climbs the fence, the sumo guy with the hands, the girl with the kicking-real-fast thing...

i think that's it?
https://twitter.com/srirachaflash/status/1198649596962070535

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it is loving wild that super street fighter two turbo came out twenty five loving years ago

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i’m “has to take current year and subtract the year thing i liked came out in a calculator to believe it” years old

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're toddlers from the hit computer video game Tetris clone Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo it's pretty good IMHO.
cosigned

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

i never played fighting games when i was a kid because i always felt rushed and it stressed me out. same with megas man.
fighting games after tekken 3 are just too complicated for my feeble hands and muscle memories

mega mangs 9+10 were the last one i could enjoy besides the first 3 Xs on super entendo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

remember the phantom dudes in mario 2 that would chase you when you picked up a key? that's a big no from me. no thanks. do not want.
otoh this “grim masque of death hounds you forever for daring to disturb access to wealth” was an apt premonition of dealing with boombers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

I may be old but I'm not "who is akuma?" old