Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

fermun posted:

also, while poking around wikipedia, apparently it's now hypothesized that the norse settled the azores for about 150 years between 700 and 850 due to the fact that the azores mouse population is closest related to sweden's mouse population and there is evidence of brush clearing and animal husbandry in core samples from that time period.

One cool thing about the vikings in America is that there was an exchange of knowledge. The vikings taught the natives to work metal and the natives taught the vikings to make pemmikan.
There was also one trine that was resistent against the diseases the europeans brought with them and there’s a theory that it's because of norse genes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

wouldn’t any serious contact with west Africans spread a lot of the same diseases that Europeans did?

I don't think it necessarily would

Didn't Europeans live unusually close with their livestock which made them especially germy by old world standards?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

One cool thing about the vikings in America is that there was an exchange of knowledge. The vikings taught the natives to work metal and the natives taught the vikings to make pemmikan.
There was also one trine that was resistent against the diseases the europeans brought with them and there’s a theory that it's because of norse genes.

I don't think that's true, native americans were using metal well before the vikings visited.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

sullat posted:

I don't think that's true, native americans were using metal well before the vikings visited.
Presumably they meant more advanced forms of metalworking, not just working found metal pieces into objects but doing things like smelting. Which obviously existed in some parts of the Americas, but from what I can tell, not the area the vikings arrived at.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Demon_Corsair posted:

wouldn’t any serious contact with west Africans spread a lot of the same diseases that Europeans did?

without the one two punch of disease + early modern colonialism they would've recovered

ps the Chinese treasure ships absolutely made it to South America but didn't leave any traces bc they were just there as tourists

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

ps the Chinese treasure ships absolutely made it to South America but didn't leave any traces bc they were just there as tourists
We would have photo evidence if this was the case.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all the treasure ships saw the grand canyon in a big tour group

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

War and Pieces posted:

without the one two punch of disease + early modern colonialism they would've recovered

They did, but they were sank by the finnish air force on the way home

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

War and Pieces posted:

where are all their south american tchotchkes then hmmm?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PittTheElder posted:

they didn't bring any home as that would be cultural appropriation

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

PittTheElder posted:

Beijing burnt down when they were away so they lost their heavenly mandate and all the records were destroyed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its so funny that the telling of this was reversed over time and now we treat the vikings as unwashed barbarians

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

didn’t the Byzantines and Arabs consider Vikings disgustingly unhygienic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FrancisFukyomama posted:

in the documentary The 13th Warrior,

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

thus began the lasting english aversion against clean water

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

i say swears online posted:

in the documentary The 13th Warrior,

they all spit in a big bowl!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Ibn Fadlan described them as stunningly beautiful people, but thought they were gross because they kept having open air orgies.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Ibn Fadlan described them as stunningly beautiful people, but thought they were gross because they kept having open air orgies.

also he said they did a snot rocket into the water they wet their combs with when they were done combing their hair and the next guy would use the same water so they sometimes combed snot into their hair

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its so funny that the telling of this was reversed over time and now we treat the vikings as unwashed barbarians

"They are the filthiest of all God’s creatures. They have no modesty when it comes to defecating or urinating and do not wash themselves when intercourse puts them in a state of ritual impurity. They do not even wash their hands after eating. Indeed, they are like roaming asses. They arrive, moor their boats by the Itil, and build large wooden houses on its banks. They share a house, in groups of ten and twenty, sometimes more, sometimes fewer. Each reclines on a couch.They are accompanied by beautiful female slaves for trade with the merchants. They have intercourse with their female slaves in full view of their companions. Sometimes they gather in a group and do this in front of each other."

One wonders what Ibn Faldan would think of the Anglos' hygiene

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Builds your immune system

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nastiest trader you'll ever meet / immaculate loving psychopath

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I don't think mass raping their slave women was very cool thing to do, tbh.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

500excf type r posted:

Remember in the 1930s when a Roman statue head was unearthed in South or Central America

Well obviously that was just from Nova Roma.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/radhistoryguy/status/1776632874474848520?t=FNjWD-7vy29e6bb5C2s0Vg&s=19

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

He could have Seymor Skinnered it by stealing some dead guy's tunic during the crusades

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Something tells me he would have been sussed out immediately when he didn't know how to do any of the knightly poo poo. Not just combat, but social behavior poo poo you'd have to apprentice at to internalize.

FE: actually I seem to remember a case mentioned in the History of Byzantium where a peasant tried to impersonate Baldwin IX of Flanders (the first Latin Emperor) who had died under murky circumstances in the aftermath of the fourth crusade. Dude lasted less than a year before being fingered as an imposter and beheaded.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

did the Byzantines still have limited social mobility to the end of the empire? soldiers becoming nobles and emperors like with Justinian. I heard the post Latin empire restoration jettisoned a lot of what was left of Roman civil culture along with the bureaucracy being gone

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Something tells me he would have been sussed out immediately when he didn't know how to do any of the knightly poo poo. Not just combat, but social behavior poo poo you'd have to apprentice at to internalize.

FE: actually I seem to remember a case mentioned in the History of Byzantium where a peasant tried to impersonate Baldwin IX of Flanders (the first Latin Emperor) who had died under murky circumstances in the aftermath of the fourth crusade. Dude lasted less than a year before being fingered as an imposter and beheaded.

The conspiracy of Elizabeth I being replaced by a local village boy only kinda makes sense for the above reasons: she was seen as a quiet and terrified child who was kept out of the actual court due to plagues. In theory the impostor could have had time to learn all the behaviors and such

Of course the whole conspiracy is kinda based on Elizabeth being UNLADYLIKE and other gender roles brained stuff

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PittTheElder posted:

That's an impressive record tbh. I probably wouldn't last a day

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

These are treacherous times for bond traders. A couple of months ago, the market consensus was that the US Federal Reserve would cut interest rates six times this year, starting imminently. By Wednesday, however, investors had slashed their expectations so dramatically that many now expect cuts to be delayed to November. Indeed, a slew of higher-than-expected inflation data prompted Lawrence Summers, former Treasury secretary, to warn that the next move might even be up — not down.

Cue hand-wringing from those sectors that have boomed amid ultra-low rates. (A fascinating new report from the IMF report suggests that private capital is one). And cue more speculation about whether expectations will change again this year.

But as this debate rages, it is worth stepping back for a moment to also think about the long sweep of our financial past. And no, I do not mean “history” as traders usually experience it on a trading screen — namely, the late 20th century — but instead, and more thought-provokingly, the past eight centuries. A trio of economists — Kenneth Rogoff, Barbara Rossi and Paul Schmelzing — have been amassing global data on interest rates and inflation since 1311, five decades after Venice started to issue so-called “consols”, arguably the first example of long-term sovereign debt.

Their conclusions were released in preliminary form almost two years ago. But they have now been updated with new historical information, underscoring two fascinating points.

First, you cannot understand the political economy simply by looking at short-term rates, as most previous analyses have tended to do. To be fair, historians hitherto adopted this focus because historical data on short-term rates was more readily available, and 20th-century central bankers wanted to determine the so-called “natural” rate against which to set short-term policy rates.

However, Rogoff et al argue that while the patterns in short-term rates are noisy, if you look at long-term real rates (that is, nominal rates adjusted for inflation) there is a clear and striking trend. These have been steadily sinking over the centuries. They calculate this decline equates to almost 2 basis points a year, on average, since 1311.

The chart is certainly not smooth. Two big inflection points occurred during the 14th-century Black Death pandemic, and then the European “Trinity” financial crisis of 1557. There were smaller inflections in 1914 and 1981.

But what is more striking than these inflections is how rare they are. While long-term rates have often moved in response to recessions, defaults, financial shocks and so on, they almost always revert to trend after a decade or two. As the economist Maurice Obstfeld has pointed out, the result is that they look like mere “blips” from a long-term historical point of view.

To put it another way, modernity triggered an inexorable decline in the long-term price of money, and was doing this well before we started to fret about ultra-low rates in the 21st century.

Why? Previously economists have blamed this on issues such as productivity, demographics and capital flows. Ben Bernanke, former Fed governor, famously pointed to a savings glut in China and elsewhere, while Summers worries about an era of secular stagnation.

However, even more interesting (and counter-intuitive) is Rogoff et al’s failure to find a statistical correlation between real rates and fundamental economic trends. That might reflect the limitations of their data, but the trio offer another explanation. The real reason, they say, for falling borrowing costs is not economic shifts, but an issue economists often ignore — the nature of finance. A combination of modern capital markets, risk analysis and innovation around using collateral to back loans has made money more efficient.

Proving this is hard, but the idea rings true to me. Call this the “against the gods” effect, to cite Peter Bernstein’s seminal book of the same name. A key distinction between modern and premodern societies is that innovations ranging from double-entry book keeping to computers have left us believing that we can predict, manage and price future risks, without relying on gods, as our ancestors did.

In reality, this confidence is all too often misplaced. But justified or not, the cultural shift that accompanied it has made money more abundant and fluid, thus cutting its cost. This is good news. But it also raises two further questions. Will this downward trend ever end? And what does it mean for current rates?

On the first point, the answer rests on your level of imagination. It is hard to believe the trend will continue much further, but it is also difficult to discount future technological advances. Artificial intelligence, say, could increase monetary efficiency.

On the second point, however, the implications are clearer. Adopting an eight-century timeframe suggests that the ultra-low rates we saw in the early 21st century were a slightly excessive deviation from the trend. It should thus be no surprise that long-term rates have corrected upwards, particularly given that the short-term “natural” rate has probably risen.

But this long sweep also indicates that what is happening now is not remotely unusual. Just don’t tell that to the bond traders who are feeling bruised by recent events.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think by the rules of the history thread this should go here

code:
https://twitter.com/StilichoReads/status/1781785958658326842

quote:

Poland-Lithuania is often caricatured as a backwards, feudal relic in early modern Europe, but this was far from the case. Its army was professional and highly adapted to the circumstances in which it was used, and its supposedly medieval features made it more, not less effective

the source is reportedly "The Northern Wars", by Robert Frost

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm no expert in early modern military science but I don't think they really needed those tiger skins to fight well. Again, professing my ignorance, but perhaps a system where cavalry troopers have one and only one direct superior, so if said superior dies they have none but the head of their company to direct them, has some disadvantages.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Text literally said all towarzysze were equally their direct superiors and there were up to 80 in a 300 person company

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

The swag is just there to get wanna be chads to enlist in the calvery

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Text literally said all towarzysze were equally their direct superiors and there were up to 80 in a 300 person company

Do you mean the part about having an equal voice in the circle? Because that is a different thing. It then goes on to talk about the cellular structure of a company, which I take to mean each towarzysze and their retinue is a cell.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The poet Robert Frost?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The poet Robert Frost?

quote:

Robert I. Frost FBA (born 1958) is a British historian and academic.[1] His interests are in the history of Eastern and Northern Europe of 14th to the 19th centuries, with primary focus on Poland–Lithuania and the history of warfare of the period.[2]

He attended the University of St Andrews and the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland. He earned his doctorate in the School of Slavonic and East European Studies at the University of London.

He was a schoolmaster for three years in the mid-1980s. Frost became a temporary and permanent lecturer in history at King's College London, in 1987 and 1988 respectively, and Reader in 2001. He served as head of department there for three years. In 2004, he was appointed professor of early modern history at the University of Aberdeen, and there he served as head of the School of Divinity, History and Philosophy from 2004 to 2009. In 2013, he was appointed to the Burnett-Fletcher Chair of History.[3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weka posted:

Do you mean the part about having an equal voice in the circle? Because that is a different thing. It then goes on to talk about the cellular structure of a company, which I take to mean each towarzysze and their retinue is a cell.

I don't see how it's much different from the modern Squad Leader military position. If your SL dies, you'll probably take orders from the next closest SL until you return to base. I imagine it worked the same way; the idea that you would have to rely on your company commander for orders when there's 79 other people of equal rank to your towarzysze around is silly.