Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey remember solar roads and how they were going to revolutionize road construction and usher forth the green revolution? Well you may also remember that France decided to build a 1 km section of solar-powered road as a trial, and the divided internet collectively went "well okay then"

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-world-s-first-solar-road-has-turned-out-to-be-a-disappointing-failure/

quote:

In July, the French daily newspaper Le Monde reported that the 0.6-mile (1 kilometre) solar road was a fiasco.

In December 2016, when the trial road was unveiled, the French Ministry of the Environment called it "unprecedented". French officials said the road, made of photovoltaic panels, would generate electricity to power streetlights in Tourouvre, a local town.

But less than three years later, a report published by Global Construction Review says France's road dream may be over. Cracks have appeared, and in 2018, part of the road had to be demolished due to damage from wear and tear.

Even at its peak, the road was only producing half of the expected energy, because engineers didn't take into consideration rotting leaves falling on the road.

It was all smiles and high hopes in 2016, when the world's first solar panel road, called Wattway, opened. France spent US$5.2 million on 0.6 miles (1 kilometre) of road, and 30,000 square feet (3,000 square metres) of solar panels. It was hailed as the longest solar road in the world.

Media gathered around to take a walk down what was thought to be the road of the future. The French minister for energy said she wanted to have solar panels on one mile of road every 621 miles in the country within the next five years.

Despite grey skies on the day of the inauguration, France was leading the world for solar transportation.

But the brake was never removed, and the wheels never started rolling - so to speak.

It was a bold move beginning a solar panel trial in Normandy, France, since the region doesn't have the most sunshine. Caen, a city in Normandy, only has 44 days of strong sunshine in a year. Thunderstorms also reportedly broke solar panels on the road.

The trial road was meant to produce about 150,000 kWh a year, which is enough power to provide light for up to 5,000 people, every day. Instead, it was making just under 80,000 in 2018, and fewer than 40,000 by July 2019.

Colas, the company that built the road, said in 2016 that the solar panels were covered with resin containing sheets of silicon to make them capable of withstanding all traffic. But since the opening, panels have come loose or broken into little pieces.

In May 2018, 300 feet (90 metres) of the road had to be demolished since it wasn't salvageable.

The engineers also didn't take into account the effects of leaves, which caused damage and limited the amount of electricity the panels could produce.

They also didn't think about the pressure and weight from tractors, two locals told Le Monde.

And now the trial looks like it's all over. Wattway's managing director Etienne Gaudin told Le Monde that it would not be going to market.
"Our system is not mature on long distance traffic," he said. The company would focus on creating electricity for smaller things, like CCTV cameras and lighting bus shelters.

Geeze, who could have predicted that leaves might land on the road? Talk about your acts of god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
fossil fuels are cheap and effective, not much reason to research beyond them maybe fusion tech could be good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk I bet the people who came up with this ridiculous idea scammed a shitload of money so really they are successful entrepreneurs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Don't solar panels have to track the sun in order to maximize energy generation?

Meh. I'm looking forward to nuclear roads or barring that a hydro road (no it's not a river)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
france fails news at 10

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
We should not trial anything renewable anymore.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Supreme Allah posted:

france fails news at 10

The only reason I know about the French locales mentioned is because Americans fought Germans there

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nobody could've predicted that the fragile solar panels might be prone to breakage from several-ton vehicles driving on top of them several thousand times a day. I mean who could've predicted that?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Solar roads are a totes juicy idea, but uh, maybe think things through a little more before you ejaculate 5.2 mil into a technology.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

if you're gonna make roads generate energy, why not turn them into a treadmill? seems less dumb than trying to make solar panels strong enough to withstand several tons of metal rolling over it daily

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Yet another example of people trying their damnedest to usher in a 'green technological revolution' so we can keep our society based upon conspicuous consumption going without completely killing the planet.

Lol no we aren't going to tech bro bullshit our way out of this mess. We're just going to have to buy less poo poo and park our cars. No getting out of it.

Solar roads. Whoever the gently caress believed that nonsense probably still thinks Elon is going to show up to dig them a tunnel.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Literally A Person posted:

Solar roads are a totes juicy idea, but uh, maybe think things through a little more before you ejaculate 5.2 mil into a technology.

My company spends that in rnd in a few months.

Try putting them on the shoulders/bike lanes?

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Maybe just put the panels anywhere that doesn't have 2000 pound steel boxes rolling over it all day?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Solar toilets

Solar shoes

Solar plumbers

These are all technologies and ideas you can buy from me. And more!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mnoba posted:

fossil fuels are cheap and effective, not much reason to research beyond them maybe fusion tech could be good
fusion power is the dream of making a hydrogen bomb explode slowly

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Has anyone tried solar powered solar panels?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Solar fries

...piled high

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

solar hats, made of tinfoil

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Solar roads, brought to you by cloud imperium games

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

My mind rejects the frequency
It's just verbosity to me
Is it a solar fever?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Solar molars: eat the loving sun

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

solar panels, but for dogs

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC this started with two idiots who groverhoused a lovely walkable solar panel and then hired a PR company to do a Kickstarter making insane promises of what you can do with that. None of them were engineers or had any idea what they were doing so they got a shitton of money from backers.

Then some french city doubled down with 50mio on this idiocy for some reason, probably cancelling imporyant repairs on some school or bridge or something

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Someone seriously lined their pockets through this though. Might not even be the two idiots who started this mess, but probably them too.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Try putting them on the shoulders/bike lanes?
They have trialed this in the Netherlands. Spoiler: It broke and was half as efficient as roof mounted panels (and way more expensive).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolaRoad

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Lol imagine how much co2 was pumped into the air to build and later demolish this glass road for idiots

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I propose a solar car. We load people in it and send it to the sun.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

Lol imagine how much co2 was pumped into the air to build and later demolish this glass road for idiots

Lol, they could have build a highly efficient solar power plant and ten roads with that money

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a whole bunch of these solar loving roadways, there's this one in France of course, a bike path in the Netherlands and even Germany had of course the most retarded one with LEDs and heaters built-in in highway rest area or something. Check out the 3-4 recent videos on all of these projects imploding: https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog/search?query=solar+roadways

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

After the success of cardboard straws maybe we should build roads out of it

nut
Jul 30, 2019

nice of the french mayor 2 say it in english i guess

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

solar roads, what's next, solar trees?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Remove the trees so no leaves fall and obstruct the solar panels.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

maybe instead of putting the solar panels in a place where they will be crushed all day long by different poo poo they should just build some dedicated solar plants.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Foiled by foliage

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I've worked in the solar industry for the past 12+ years. System design, sales, tech support. Also a background in EE.
I also live outside of the town where the first solar roadway company was started. They got a kickstarter and then a 2 million dollar federal grant.

It is the most goddamn stupid idea I've ever seen.

Here's a lesson for those that are new to solar. Solar panels have to be in the sun!

Dirt, leaves, oil, constant shadows from vehicles, will all dramatically decrease production.

Then you get into transmission lines. In a town with existing infrastructure, sure, not too hard to tap into the grid. But these people advocate "putting them out in the desert where there is more sun and fewer cars!" So, you going to build an entire electrical transmission grid to go with that?

Maybe a mechanical engineer goon can chime in, but I'm pretty sure building roads out of tiled pieces is not mechanically sound for long term stability for heavy and high speed traffic. Works great for chariots and wagons, but unstable to support modern traffic. They shake loose over time.

There is a demo display that was installed in the downtown park. The panel-tiles had to be replaced twice so far. The originals cracked and leaked water because they didn't fully seal them, and the current mess looks like pure garbage. Discolored panels (due to lovely manufacturing), gaps, looseness in the tiles, etc. And this is a walkway area, they aren't even in the street. It's embarrassing to even be asked your opinion on it.

Here's a thought, lets put panels on roofs, carports, pole mounts first, you know, where they will actually get sunlight on them.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Burt doesn’t know solar.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Burt Sexual posted:

Burt doesn’t know solar.

Ironically, neither do the solar roadway people.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It’s usually a million a mile for basic new road construction, if it was actually producing power the project probably wasn’t as disastrous as they’re making it out to be. Roads are expensive in general, and a financial sinkhole since there’s significant & continuous maintenance costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Solar roads appeal to the NIMBYs who don't want anything put anywhere.

"you can have your crazy hippie magic but it better not be visible to any of us"