Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Berlin WW2 bombing survivor Saturn the alligator dies in Moscow Zoo https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52784240

I’m loving the idea there was a sewer gator hanging around WWII era Berlin for 3 years and somehow survived the Battle of Berlin as well.

quote:

Saturn somehow survived and then lived for three years in a city ravaged by war, and a climate unsuited to alligators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It ate so many starving cats and dogs that somehow survived that long :smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

It ate so many starving cats and dogs that somehow survived that long :smith:

On the bright side, just imagine he ate Martin Bormann or some of the other top Nazis whose bodies were never found.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

On the bright side, just imagine he ate Martin Bormann or some of the other top Nazis whose bodies were never found.

Hurray!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There was a LOT of ugly fighting in the Berlin subways and I imagine the more accessible sewers as well.

That croc might have needed to scrounge for food for a few years but there was no shortage after May 45

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A gator has a pretty slow metabolism too, he could have eaten Bormann and survived quite happily on that for months.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nessus posted:

A gator has a pretty slow metabolism too, he could have eaten Bormann and survived quite happily on that for months.

he wasn't even the fattest nazi

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

he wasn't even the fattest nazi

Yeah but he's the fat one who vanished. Hence he was obviously eaten by this gator.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I assume it burped up a Hitlergrussidentificationundpfeffenweizerbuch at the right time and won Stalin's approval.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JQbrIjP70w

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nessus posted:

I assume it burped up a Hitlergrussidentificationundpfeffenweizerbuch at the right time and won Stalin's approval.

Superb pitch for a fun family movie.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Nessus posted:

It would be awesome (yet rather unlikely) if this gator was the inspiration for Gena the Crocodile, from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBNtYixTSs

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There's a horror movie waiting to be made there. Alligator in the bombed out Berlin sewers, hunting Nazi's. JoJo Alligator.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Comstar posted:

There's a horror movie waiting to be made there. Alligator in the bombed out Berlin sewers, hunting Nazi's. JoJo Alligator.

I'm picturing "Life of Pi" but with Martin Bormann and a Crocodile

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wonder why the British gave him to the soviets instead of putting him in BBC serials

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder why the British gave him to the soviets instead of putting him in BBC serials

There were significant chunks of the British military and defense industries in general who thought Stalin was going to be their BFF after the war, which lead to some hilariously questionable decisions in light of the escalating Cold War stuff.

For a really blindingly dumb example of this - so dumb even Stalin commented "what fool sells us his secrets" - look at the Soviets buying 25 Rolls Royce jet engines in 1946.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

There were significant chunks of the British military and defense industries in general who thought Stalin was going to be their BFF after the war, which lead to some hilariously questionable decisions in light of the escalating Cold War stuff.

For a really blindingly dumb example of this - so dumb even Stalin commented "what fool sells us his secrets" - look at the Soviets buying 25 Rolls Royce jet engines in 1946.

That’s hilarious because Churchill wanted to go to war against Stalin asap.

I guess that’s one reason the British public voted his rear end out?

*edit*

I think Churchill was so gung ho about going to war against the Soviets that he had cooked up a plan to use reconstituted Whermact divisions??

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 24, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

*edit*

I think Churchill was so gung ho about going to war against the Soviets that he had cooked up a plan to use reconstituted Whermact divisions??

He asked 'what's the option?', which was fair because Stalin was right at that point installing puppet governments across Eastern Europe, and the General Staff duly produced a sketch plan where under under the most favourable circumstances the Soviets just drive onwards to Paris to demonstrate what stupid idea it would have been.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alchenar posted:

He asked 'what's the option?', which was fair because Stalin was right at that point installing puppet governments across Eastern Europe, and the General Staff duly produced a sketch plan where under under the most favourable circumstances the Soviets just drive onwards to Paris to demonstrate what stupid idea it would have been.

Were the plans made before the atom bombings?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Solaris 2.0 posted:

*edit*

Eh, the plans were secret until 1998. Labour's Clement Attlee defeated him because Attlee promised to create the welfare state and provide free healthcare (which the UK has to this day as a result), while Churchill said it was unaffordable.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Alchenar posted:

How did the Soviets end up in such a solid position after the sheer world-historical level of bloodshed they experienced in their homeland and on the eastern front? I understand how the US did it - a basically untouched CONUS and comparatively small percentage population loss - but the Soviets by the end of the war are something I've never learned about.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

How did the Soviets end up in such a solid position after the sheer world-historical level of bloodshed they experienced in their homeland and on the eastern front? I understand how the US did it - a basically untouched CONUS and comparatively small percentage population loss - but the Soviets by the end of the war are something I've never learned about.

The Soviets weren't solid in 1945, the population was mobilized to its limit and a small famine would break out in 1946. But there were definitely enough active Soviet soldiers that they could have ran over the Brits, who were also mobilized to their limit and running out of manpower.

As for the Soviet rebuilding program, they got a big boost by looting industrial equipment from Europe and Manchuria. Even so, they weren't better off than before the war started, unlike the US.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

Were the plans made before the atom bombings?

To be fair a) stocks of thone bombs were strictly limited and b) you have to get its target past actually existent air defence. Also bear in mind ths is an unprovoked surprise attack by the UK on their former allies. Getting the US to incinerate a few million civilians in support of this backstab wouid ummm be a worldwide PR problem.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gort posted:

Eh, the plans were secret until 1998. Labour's Clement Attlee defeated him because Attlee promised to create the welfare state and provide free healthcare (which the UK has to this day as a result), while Churchill said it was unaffordable.

My impression is that while Churchill was seen as the best guy for fighting the war, the Conservatives said no to any serious reform or change, while Labour had all sorts of ideas (like universal health care/dental care) that were widely popular. The context makes total sense, too: wartime Britain had been moving mountains through organized action, and most people were afraid of a return to the poverty of the '20s and '30s. Churchill reverting to type once the war was done really didn't appeal.

feedmegin posted:

To be fair a) stocks of thone bombs were strictly limited and b) you have to get its target past actually existent air defence. Also bear in mind ths is an unprovoked surprise attack by the UK on their former allies. Getting the US to incinerate a few million civilians in support of this backstab wouid ummm be a worldwide PR problem.

Yeah, during the Berlin blockade, Truman used the thread of the Atom bomb, only to discover he was bluffing. In a fairly hilarious example as to how dramatic the post war demobilization was, Los Alamos has been essentially abandoned, and a quick sit-rep from Los Alamos reported "maybe one" atom bomb (fat man implosion type) could be constructed quickly, with one or two more bombs possible from spare parts. The bombs used on Japan were in essence garage prototypes. Post this spooky experience, people were returned to revise the atom bomb design for production, and set up a factory for production.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alan Smithee posted:

Jealous of his teeth

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

My impression is that while Churchill was seen as the best guy for fighting the war, the Conservatives said no to any serious reform or change, while Labour had all sorts of ideas (like universal health care/dental care) that were widely popular. The context makes total sense, too: wartime Britain had been moving mountains through organized action, and most people were afraid of a return to the poverty of the '20s and '30s. Churchill reverting to type once the war was done really didn't appeal.

Your impression is correct. Churchill's case wasn't helped by the fact that he had, quite deliberately, set himself up as The Great International War Leader and focussed on the conduct of the conflict and the diplomacy with other powers. Meanwhile the Home Front and the UK's domestic political affairs were headed up by Attlee while the Beveridge Report, which laid out the blueprint for the post-war welfare state, was authored by a prominent Liberal under the direction of a Labour minister. So Churchill and the Conservatives had excluded themselves from both the tangible and successful systems put in place during the war (which virtually the entire British population had direct interaction with) and the ideas being gestated for the post-war world.

There was complacency that Churchill's status as Victorious War Statesman and his apparent high popularity with the British public would see him coast to a win. However it was quite possible for large sections of British society to simultaneously respect, admire and even slightly deify Churchill for his effort and work during the war while also remembering his actions with regard to strikes in the 1910s, his rhetoric around the General Strike in 1926 and his part as chancellor in the Gold Standard debacle.

It's often accounted that Churchill 'lost the election' when he said that implementing Labour's welfare state would "require some sort of Gestapo". Which certainly wasn't a good public statement to make against policies that were broadly supported by a population that had spent six years fighting a state with the actual Gestapo. I believe that the actual polling results show that the statement didn't really have any effect on the national opinion, but it shows that Churchill was out of step with the public. His attempts to gee-up the nation to keep fighting the war in the Pacific were just tone-deaf and, although Operation Unthinkable was secret, there were widespread rumours that Churchill was agitating for a fight with the USSR. Churchill effectively admitted that he wasn't catching the public mood when he shared a taxi with Attlee and said "I've tried them with pep and I've tried them with pap, and I still don't know what they want."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, during the Berlin blockade, Truman used the thread of the Atom bomb, only to discover he was bluffing. In a fairly hilarious example as to how dramatic the post war demobilization was, Los Alamos has been essentially abandoned, and a quick sit-rep from Los Alamos reported "maybe one" atom bomb (fat man implosion type) could be constructed quickly, with one or two more bombs possible from spare parts. The bombs used on Japan were in essence garage prototypes. Post this spooky experience, people were returned to revise the atom bomb design for production, and set up a factory for production.
Imagine the world where we never had industrial scale production of nuclear weapons! That actually seems like it would legitimately and concrete change the course of world history. It isn't as if there was no precedent - everyone basically stuffed chemical weapons back in the closet after War War 1.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

Imagine the world where we never had industrial scale production of nuclear weapons!

This was never on the table. Remember the Soviets were going all out to build their own.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not a chance. The only way for that to happen would be maintaining the Angloamerican atomic monopoly, and Stalin was going to set off his bomb in '47 no matter what. You cannot trust a nuclear monopoly from someone who is an ideological enemy just because they were a convenient co-belligerent in the war just ended. Once the Soviets had the bomb, any major confrontation would have resulted in a nuclear arms race.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

As for the Soviet rebuilding program, they got a big boost by looting industrial equipment from Europe and Manchuria. Even so, they weren't better off than before the war started, unlike the US.

I dunno, I'm looking at numbers that suggest their GDP grew about 40% from 1941 to 1944.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nessus posted:

Imagine the world where we never had industrial scale production of nuclear weapons! That actually seems like it would legitimately and concrete change the course of world history. It isn't as if there was no precedent - everyone basically stuffed chemical weapons back in the closet after War War 1.

The Nuclear Secrecy blog has some interesting thoughts on this; basically in the early history - think 1945-46 - it really wasn't clear if the bomb was going to be deployed, stockpiled or banned. While the rivalry between the USA and USSR was inevitable, and the Cold War with all its paranoia was really goddamn likely (especially with Stalin around) I think things could have taken a different turn.

Though if you want a page from "it could have been worse", check out wikipedia's disturbingly long list of nations that tried to develop a bomb before realizing it was too expensive/geopolitically costly and signed the NPT.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

This was never on the table. Remember the Soviets were going all out to build their own.
My thinking is not "the Soviets never get the bomb," it is "a confluence of factors means that the nuclear arsenals never became the elaborate things they actually became." It seems that most of the deterrent value comes from your first handful, and past that it's pretty much being able to play thermonuclear whack-a-mole and maybe not run out of shots until you get the privilege of being the Enclave in the new LARP of Fallout.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

It isn't as if there was no precedent - everyone basically stuffed chemical weapons back in the closet after War War 1.

Because they're actually kind of crap outside of literal static trench warfare, not because of morality.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Not a chance. The only way for that to happen would be maintaining the Angloamerican atomic monopoly

The what now? America tried very hard to prevent Britain getting the Bomb. You might as well talk about the French-American monopoly because the only way Britain got an ounce of cooperation from America was proving it could build it's own. This would still have happened if the Soviets hadn't don'e a drat thing, btw.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Because they're actually kind of crap outside of literal static trench warfare, not because of morality.
I don't know, they seem like they'd either generate massive enemy casualties (with surprise) or require the operational challenges of using and deploying NBC gear correctly in a combat zone (without it). Yet they do not seem to have been widely used. Now we can speculate on exactly why that is, but it seems to be a fact with which we must reckon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

I don't know, they seem like they'd either generate massive enemy casualties (with surprise) or require the operational challenges of using and deploying NBC gear correctly in a combat zone (without it). Yet they do not seem to have been widely used. Now we can speculate on exactly why that is, but it seems to be a fact with which we must reckon.

They also weren't used much outside of the Western Front in WW1. They are a pain to use against a mobile opponent, especially if you're planning to then occupy or move through that ground yourself.

Here check this https://acoup.blog/2020/03/20/collections-why-dont-we-use-chemical-weapons-anymore/

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gort posted:

I dunno, I'm looking at numbers that suggest their GDP grew about 40% from 1941 to 1944.

Where are you reading this?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Labour party also used its position in the wartime government to commission the Beveridge Report, which was essentially an indictment on how lovely living conditions were for the majority of the population. This was used as a rationale for the reforms Labour wanted to get done if they won in '45, despite the fact the 1945 manifesto wasn't much different from the 1935 one (something radical Labour complained about)

Edit: beaten like the Tories in 1945

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nessus posted:

My thinking is not "the Soviets never get the bomb," it is "a confluence of factors means that the nuclear arsenals never became the elaborate things they actually became." It seems that most of the deterrent value comes from your first handful, and past that it's pretty much being able to play thermonuclear whack-a-mole and maybe not run out of shots until you get the privilege of being the Enclave in the new LARP of Fallout.

Well that's another point. The nukes of WWII and its immediate aftermath were basically just bombs. Big bombs to be sure, but not in principle a clear change in the nature of warfare, much less species survival. What an atomic bomb could do was not in theory all that different from having a conventional bomber fleet pound on you for a while. It would have seemed sort of silly not to build them.

It's specifically the MT-scale thermonuclear weapons where it became clear that the Big One wasn't a weapon of much military utility, it was strictly a city eraser. But that wasn't known in 1945-1947, and at that point the genie was out of the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

feedmegin posted:

The what now? America tried very hard to prevent Britain getting the Bomb. You might as well talk about the French-American monopoly because the only way Britain got an ounce of cooperation from America was proving it could build it's own. This would still have happened if the Soviets hadn't don'e a drat thing, btw.

Truman's high-handedness delayed the British program, but it was still an inevitability - particularly since there was no attempt to interfere in Britain's domestic program. The Manhattan Project was a joint operation between the two powers from 1943 onward, and the British had most of the data needed before the McMahon Act was passed in 1946 as a result of several publicized incidents of espionage. The Soviets could not count on this soured relationship remaining soured, and even then it was a certainty that Britain would get the bomb - creating an environment where the only two atomic powers were the United States and Britain - Two powers that were ideological enemies of the USSR.