Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked the battleship movie. I appreciate the attempts at a tactically intense battle and the variety of weapons used in the attempt to convey a flexible command response to events.

Also drifting in a battleship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I'm reading a book about Russian Fashies (cancerous outgrowths of the Whites in the 1930s, not the bunch of ethnonationalist fuckos running it these days) and what's got me scratching the 'ol noodle is wether a Japanese attack at the hight of the purges could have successfully taken Vladivostok and maybe pushed to, like Lake Baikal?

No Black Hitler stuff here, although the RFP would have to have been non-clown shoe for it to have worked.

:shrug:

E: also, everyone should watch White Sun of the Desert not for any particular political reason (or even it being particularly related to the above, it's just a really fun movie?)

Osterns are pretty neat in general. They tend to be very much influenced by American Westerns but with themes changed to fit the sensibilities of Soviet Cinema.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

fishmech posted:

In World War II, L Ron Hubbard had the ship he was in charge of repeatedly attack "Japanese subs" that were in actuality random stuff on the seabed/bottom of bays.

There was also the incident where he decided some gunnery practice was in order. So he decided to shoot at the Coronado Islands, which weren't an American possession like he thought and also wasn't empty like he thought. The Mexican government complained about their Naval personnel coming under fire. The fitness report written after includes the following: "Consider this officer lacking in the essential qualities of judgment, leadership and cooperation. He acts without forethought as to probable results. He is believed to have been sincere in his efforts to make his ship efficient and ready. Not considered qualified for command or promotion at this time. Recommend duty on a large vessel where he can be properly supervised."

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I absolutely adore the show but the shrimp layer thing on QI cannot be real, can it? I know the ocean is a noisy place, lousy with background noise from both biological and environmental sources but a layer of shrimp that interferes with sonar the world's ocean over seems a little much. Oh and for subs patrolling the arctic, does sea ice hamper ASW efforts? If you can't answer this for opsec reasons just leave me a winkey smiley, I totally get it.

It sounds like they are conflating two things or exaggerating for effect as QI sometimes does. So snapping shrimp do make a noise that can be heard on sonar sets. It sounds like frying bacon if you get a bunch of them together. But they don't make layer more like schools. This noise is generated by their prey killing methods of making cavitating bubbles. Then there is a thing called the deep scattering layer. The deep scattering layer isn't universal across the oceans but tends to be a bit patchy. What happens is sonar hits air bladders inside various sea life and scatters. So you'll get a reading that there is a false sea floor there. But the deep scattering layer is mostly lanternfish. Shrimp will make up some of the returns but a much smaller percentage of them. I suspect that where the confusion comes from was WWII ASW efforts which would find that shrimp beds could interfere with sonar operators trying to listen for the sound of subs. But again, that was a localized thing. And to make it a bit more MilHistory, apparently US subs carried maps of known shrimp beds as places to hide. The deep scattering layer was less likely to hide subs and more likely to confuse the poo poo out of navigators who would be getting told false depths.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Squalid posted:

looking at his wikipedia page on Elvis' time in the army and ugh. . .

hopefully his sergeant was just distributing amphetamines for recreational purposes and not as part of normal army operations?

During the early 70's the FDA did a survey of pharma companies to see how much amphetamines they were producing. Turns out it was enough for every person in the US to take 43 doses a year. And that was legal amphetamines. It was the go to treatment drug for depression and weight loss. Basically the thing that reduced amphetamine usage in the US was the introduction of cocaine.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

If you're an unarmored steamship and you get jumped by an ironclad, I imagine trying to ram it is your best bet. Either that or running, but a side or paddle wheeler probably wasn't going to outrun anything.

Paddle steamer speed varies but you could expect between 10 to 20 knots of speed, depending on boat and water conditions. The CSS Albemarle could do about 5 knots. The early ironclads did tend to use screw systems which would apply power much more efficiently. But their screw design is still pretty poor. Combined with the massive amount of weight that is armor plate and you get a design that isn't speedy.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

The sad thing is that there's basically a 99% chance that the thieves will melt the stolen poo poo down for precious metals and gems rather than keeping them in one piece.

Basically they're going to get spot price for cultural treasures.

Well there is some good news. While very little stolen art is recovered, the insurance companies for the museums will generally try for see if the thief is willing to ransom it. The ransom they will pay isn't quite at the appraised value but it's in the ballpark. So there will be an offer out there that crushes spot pricing. Of course the insurance company will pay said ransom but will also play with the cops to make it as much of an ambush as possible. If they recover the art, it's cheaper than paying out the insurance. If they recover the artifacts and the criminal gets busted, that is dramatically cheaper.

Normally I'd err on the side it won't be recovered but the difference between a likely ransom offer verses spot price will likely be hugely tempting.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall reading that similar stuff used to happen in the US. I remember hearing that there was a court case where someone was prevented from voting by armed thugs with guns, and the judge basically ruled that if a mere armed posse were enough to scare you off then clearly you didn't really care about democracy. And of course there was plenty of ballot box theft / stuffing.

In 1920, an African-American voter by the name of Mose Norman attempted to vote. He was turned away twice and took shelter at the home of Julius Perry. When a mob of whites tried to force their way in to Perry's home he opened fire and killed two and injured one member of the mob. Members of the mob called in while people from Orange and Orlando counties. With their numbers swelling, the mob razed the black part of Ocoee Florida. They killed over 50 people, including Perry. They took his body to Orlando and strung him from a light post to send a message. Straight up violence as a form of disenfranchisement was extremely common, beyond the systemic methods like poll taxes taught in school.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

zoux posted:

The history of straight up brutal white supremacist violence against marginalized Americans is so under-taught. Watchmen opened the series with a visceral, terrifying recreation of the 1921 Tulsa Wall St. riots and people were shocked that it was real. The internet the next was filled with thinkpieces about "Oh yeah that really happened" because so many people thought the show made it up.

Right. One of the things that pops up as a question to justify a lot of racist beliefs is that it's been over a hundred years since the Civil War why haven't African-Americans achieved economic parity. And Tulsa was a place where African Americans had achieved a certain amount of wealth and prosperity. Much of which was destroyed in the sacking of Black neighborhoods. It happened in lots of other places. Rosewood wasn't nearly as prosperous but it's fucks up your economic standing when the entire town is burned to the ground and everyone in it who survives the massacre become refugees.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
And to keep it mil history, you have things like the Wilmington insurrection of 1898. In Wilmington you have what is effectively a Fusionist government with local Republicans and Populists effectively working together as one party in local elections. A group of local businessmen worked with the new head of the Democratic party in NC to inflame racial tensions. Part of this was intimidation of black voters, and when that was unsuccessful they launched a coup against the city goverment. As part of this coup, the black part of town was burned down, a black newspaper was burned down, Somewhere between 75 to 300 people were killed, mostly black but some white members of the Republican and Populist parties as well, with another 20 more blacks run out of town. The Democrats install their own people to run the town.

The leaders of the coup later go on to become a whos who of North Carolina politics. Several becoming Senators, one becoming governor of NC, another becoming Secretary of the Navy and so on. As a direct result of this, the Democrats stack the NC state legislature and as a direct response start passing the first of the Jim Crow laws.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

I probably oversold it, but my understanding is that a modern tank can survive fire from older ATGMs from the Cold War, and might survive a modern ATGM in a freak occurrence. The original version of the Bradley that they tested in Pentagon Wars wasn't even expected to survive an RPG.

Yes but even assuming it doesn't spew fire into the crew compartment, it has to be loud as gently caress.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

Lesbian Sex Wars :colbert:

That war has way too much Dworkin to be a pleasant war.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
You also have the issue where the PT Boat can pretty much stay crossing the T of the Age of Sail Ship. PT-59 was converted to a gun boat with six twin .50 cal mounts, and two 40 mm mounts. A halfway decent crew could simply keep themselves in front and use the 40 mm to do awful things to the rigging and sails. And the later war PT boats had rockets and depth charges. Honestly even without torpedos a PT boat probably does awful things to the Man O' War without much in the way of retaliation.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cessna posted:

Story time.

When I worked at Pampanito we were affiliated with the same organization that ran (runs) Hyde Street Pier. They had sailing ships on display, and they had a gift shop that sold all kinds of vaguely nautical stuff. One of the people working there thought it would be a good idea to use a CD from the gift shop to be the museum's hold music.

One day the Director of the museum got a talking-to from San Francisco's mayor. He'd been put on hold, and, turns out the sea shanties from the CD were authentically bawdy. Like, very, very graphically describing what they'd do to all of the ladies in town when they hit port,

They went to a different CD after that.

I spent some time in high school being a unpaid intern at Mystic Seaport. It's mostly a tourist trap but the tourist trap supports a massive archive of ships logs from American and English merchant shipping. Stuff like incredibly detailed logs of fish catches. How much, where, average size and so on. Unfortunately I was in a folk/filk music phase so I was drawn to books of shanties and they are very dirty and graphic. Quite a few were in the form of call and response verse. And alot didn't have formal lyrics. Some like A Drop Of Nelson's Blood would get lyrics adapted to see who could come up with the dirtiest lyrics.

An example that is only a little bit bawdy but it gives you an idea of where you can go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65s9m5sLxWo

A lot of shanties are also adaptation of slave work songs.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

The unknown factor is what might've happened had the UK and France curtailed business with the American south due to domestic anti-slavery pressure, and if doing so would've changed the entire chattel slavery economic model. You certainly can't say with anything with any certainty, but there definitely was a large and growing abolitionist movement in the UK by the mid 18th century.

I suspect they either try to find new markets or new crops and keep playing the leapfrog game. Smaller plantations would have had between 20 to 30 slaves. Prices in Richmond were around ~$4500 per slave depending on the slaves skill sets. Texas was about 2/3s that. So small plantations are looking at about $90,000 of their capital tied up in slaves. That feels like a lot of money for people of the period to write off. Especially with all of the bullshit moral justifications they worked up to defend slavery.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

Well that is kind of the rub...every aspect of southern society was dependant on cotton export, and there really weren't many places outside of Western Europe and New England that had the sort of industrial backbone to make use of all that cotton....it wasn't like they could just go sell it to Japan or India or China. The south of course thought that they were far more important to the UK and France than they turned out to be, and the fact that the cotton export market shifted away from the American south after the war put their economy in the toilet for...well, a lot of it is still in the toilet.

You're absolutely right that the value of slaves was absolutely spectacular, but lots of places managed to go through manumission without the help of a giant army coming down and forcefully freeing your slaves and wrecking everything of value in the process. There were plausible plans for compensated emancipation in the US going all the way back to the 18th century, and most Western European powers accomplished it with little to no incident. That it didn't go down like that was very clearly NOT a rational economic decision, mainly on behalf of the southern planter class.

The other large slave owning groups using similar styles of slavery are in a different position. The British and French had most of their slavery in their colonies and they were in a better position to dictate terms to them. Brazil is maybe the closest model but there are a number of factors working for them that may not apply to the US. Race in Brazil was seen as less of a binary thing and more of a spectrum, and the slave population and former slave populations are bigger parts of society. And you have Britain applying a lot of diplomatic pressure because Brazil's big slave crop switches from cotton to sugar. Which fucks with their West Indies trade. They are in a very different position when it comes to relations with Britain than we were.

The US slave population just prior to the Civil War is ~3.9 million. Assuming you can get the South to accept the idea that economically slavery won't work for them, and it's best to cash out now and accept settlement of 50% of market rates for sold slaves, so about $2000 per, you're talking about $7.8 billion dollars. In 1859, government revenue was ~$61 million. If you can talk slave owners into taking $100 per slave, and you find a way to double government revenues and use 50% to pay slave owners you can pay it off in six years. You get some advantage of the US is in a depression when the Civil War starts so you might get some people who might jump at the chance but probably not. I'm not sure the plans for compensated emancipation work unless you basically are giving away whole states of real estate in terms of trade. The only way I see the numbers working is at the end of a gun. The only other way I can see the price being driven down is massive and wide scale slave revolts. Large enough that state militias can't suppress them. And then I'm not sure the outcome is freeing slaves as much as massacring many of them and doubling down on repression.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

Well, remember also that the value of slaves was essentially propped up by the cotton industry. Cotton -- particularly southern cotton -- was something uniquely suited to support chattel slavery. The bottleneck of actually picking cotton was virtually unending, cotton growing regions were geographically isolated, free labor competition was minimal, cotton production was driven almost entirely by manual labor, etc etc. A disruption to any of these factors would have seriously impacted the value of slaves. The war, of course, was what brought it on, but if for whatever reason it is discovered that better, cheaper cotton can be produced in Egypt...the economic value of slaves in America would have cratered. The other factor that I mentioned previously was the fact that the three big industrialized nations -- on whom the south's export economy was totally dependant -- were growing increasingly hostile to slavery. Historically, the UK was willing to suffer through a couple of years of recession in order to break economic ties with the American south...had they persisted with the slave economy into the 1880s, it seems very likely that those export markets would be shut off to them. And, if that happens, the value of slaves also craters.

The one factor I've always found intriguing about this discussion was oil -- the world was on the cusp of an oil revolution, and the south was sitting on one of the world's largest and most accessible oil fields. Slave labor wasn't really ideal for oil work, but the sudden availability of extremely cheap oil might've been enough motivation for the industrial powers to put aside their moral politics and continue doing business with the south.

And Brazil switched to sugar when a drought destroyed their cotton fields. Sugar will grow across much of the Deep South. So will rice, another crop with lots of export markets. And given that renting slaves out was very much a thing outside of growing seasons, I doubt it would stop Southerns from renting out slaves for other uses. You may see their value as capital drop, but probably not enough to eliminate slavery as a practice. Hell, even if you can cause the capital value of slaves to plummet, you are still likely to see them as housekeepers and body servants but much more wide spread. I get the appeal of hoping the economy would simply fix it but it likely won't. The South has a tremendous amount of it's capital tied up in slavery. They made a hosed up moral decision and then made it into an awful economic one. It's a deep hole and they were committed to shoveling harder.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that maintaining slavery was a rational economic decision -- I'm certainly not, and I said as much earlier. There's a reason, though, that chattel slavery went from being widely practiced all over the world in the 17th century to being practically extinct in the 18th. The Civil War was only one small part of a global transition.

It is certainly possible...maybe even probable...that the American south would have been the last holdout practicing chattel slavery, but I think you're grossly underestimating how socially and economically unacceptable the practice had become across the world by the 1880s. If the south DID maintain the practice, it would have been for the reasons of racist tradition and contrarianism, because doing so would have absolutely destroyed every other aspect of their economy and society.

I think we can all agree that the south's next step after manumission, forced or otherwise, would have been to establish a deeply segregated society that maintained as many of the social and economic traditions of the slave society, just without literal slaves. Which of course is exactly what happened historically.

It didn't stop after the Civil War. And it kept going up until WWII. You had plantations like Kinderlou where in 1903 the owners and others were convicted of keeping people illegally. The owners had an agreement with various law enforcement agencies to arrest black people, and sell their labor contracts to the owners of the plantation. But it's all a fig leaf. The cops stopped even pretending crimes were committed. And the owners of Kinderlou stopped pretending they were anything but slaves. Keeping thousands of people, and their punishment was pleading guilty and a thousand dollar fine. This is a direct quote from Edward McRee who was the one convicted: “Though we are probably technically guilty we did not know it,” he told the court. “This custom has been [in] existence ever since the war.… We never knew that we were doing anything wrong.” Even if we assume the most cynical motives possible, that he winked so hard blindness occurred in one eye, that's still a very telling quote.

And that wasn't an isolated incident. The historians I've read don't have great counts for this but the low end estimates seem to be over a hundred thousand. With the higher end estimates being hundreds of thousands of black people re-enslaved. This isn't a historical what if. From the Southern perspective, they had the worst case happen to them and it still didn't loving stop them. It just made them cover it up with fig leaves. It doesn't stop until WWII because the DoJ starts coming down hard on this.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
And just to be clear, those numbers don't include the various things like all blacks in some states having to be under a labor contract on Jan 1st or be arrested. Or requiring the holder of the contract having to agree to a black laborer wanting to change jobs. The numbers I'm talking about are straight up re-enslavement.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Randomcheese3 posted:

Merely hoisting the flag doesn't actually give you any legal protection. If an enemy ship stops you, they are allowed to capture your ship (and sink it if necessary), no matter what cargo you're carrying. If you're registered in a neutral country, your ship is protected unless it is carrying contraband.

It was a Dassault Falcon 50. It wasn't fully in the civilian configuration, as they'd rebuilt the nose to fit the radar, but it was close.

It also got the fire control system from a Mirage F.1EQ-5 and the right side of the cockpit were replaced with the controls from the same Mirage variant. The left side was the normal controls for a Falcon. And it got the hardpoints for two Exocet launchers. Both of which were fired in anger at the USS Stark during the Iran-Iraq war. These weren't modifications done by the Iraqis but by Dassault.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

come and see

note i said best, not pleasant

Yeah, it's in the category of brilliant films I will never watch again. Realizing early on they were using live ammo and child actors in some scenes made me realize this might be stressful and it was.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Carillon posted:

On the sub chat front, did those wwi and wwii subs get to dive if there was a bad storm or did they have to take it on the surface? I'm not sure how far down storms affect the ocean.

It depends on where you are and what the storm is. A small squall in the open ocean shouldn't affect a sub after 50 ft. A particularly nasty hurricane or cyclone may case water movement to 500 ft. In shallower waters it can get a little more complicated. I would imagine that subs in shallower areas would try hard to avoid hurricanes or cyclones.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Most hosed up thing in the thread

My typo or the water movement? At 500 ft, I'd imagine the movement would make being in the sub unpleasant rather than be dangerous. But hurricanes are giant amounts of energy floating around. In some of the shallower (for seas) seas hurricanes will routinely uncover shipwrecks that had been covered by sediment on the ocean floor. Basically every ship's plans for really big storms is avoid if you can, and if not ask yourself if you said goodbye to your loved ones before you left.

In 1944, Halsey's Task Force 38 ran into Typhoon Cobra. Three destroyers were lost along with 100 aircraft. The task force wasn't conducting flight operations, but the escort carriers were tossed around by the seas so much that strapped down aircraft didn't stay that way. One of the escort carriers had to fight a fire on board started by an aircraft being flung around. Most of the thread has read Shattered Sword so everyone likely has an idea of what a challenge that might be under normal operations. A typhoon added a certain special difficulty considering Admiral Carney who was Hasley's chief of staff and someone with pretty significant sailing experience was concerned the New Jersey was going to be overwhelmed. The destroyer-escort USS Tabberer managed to conduct rescue operations in the middle of it. Saving 55 sailors. The ship was awarded a Navy Unit Commendation and Lt Cmdr Plage who was in command got a Legion of Merit. The Tabberer spent 51 hours search. Most of which would have been in hellish seas.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

The water. It freaks me out.

I grew up near the North Atlantic, and I grew up sailing. Much of my history training came while working with an organization that focused on fishing, trade, and whaling records. That is the exactly right attitude to have toward the oceans.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not only that, but any money you have tied up that hasn't been earning is basically wasted. Once you've invested, say, $50 million you need it to be loving working. The opportunity costs of letting the product sit are huge, because the revenues are money that you can't reinvest in other projects. There's a business argument for releasing it even if you're going to take a loss on the product if it allows you to fund other projects that might be more profitable.

The deal with Apple is for $70 million for the streaming rights for 15 years. Sony keeps the China distribution rights and some other foreign markets. So Sony is in a position where it will break even and if does $30 million in China and another few million in the rest of the world then it becomes slightly profitable until the accountants get to it. And Apple is desperate for content. Apple TV+ hasn't had the uptake Apple hoped for, and it's looking for content. They likely overpaid but Sony gets an influx of cash for a film that would have been crushed in the post pandemic glut. And Apple gets something to advertise as HBOMax comes out.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

English had to reconcile german and latin while nestled between Wales and France who both do their own weird thing with the latin alphabet that don't seem to have anything to do with anybody else's interpretation of how those letters work. They could've made some grand program to coordinate spelling, but confusing messes that don't follow any clear rules but just vague understandings is kinda what the entirety of English history is built on.

Then after colonization had begun, it was basically too late to totally reform spelling. Although from what I remember from back when I was reading some records written by pilgrims, they just seemed to kinda like throwing around double letters and silent es for no real reason or pattern, so I wouldn't put it past the people of the 17th century to just be making things difficult on purpose.

There have been some attempts at spelling reform of English that have been smaller changes rather than larger ones. James Howell's Grammer managed to get a bunch of words like logic, and war to be spelled in their modern form. For American spellings, Daniel Webster is the reason we don't use ou as much as the English did.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

When you’re taking standardization or spelling the two big moments are printed bibles and the rise of dictionaries and encyclopedias.

Right, and I meant Noah, not Daniel Webster. And when Noah published it, he was attacked by both Federalists and Jeffersonian Republicans. The Federalists hated it because it included some slang, the Jeffersonian Republicans disliked him from his writings for the Federalists. And because if you're the kind of person who wants to collect 70,000 words and document their meaning, you may have some personality quirks. But it was his speller that was the big thing. The first really American textbook and from a teaching perspective, it's not awful. It breaks things down by grade and builds upon itself.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

Do you guys have any more talk on pre-modern night lighting? The hearth, obviously, I guess candles were always expensive. Clean lamps came very late from whale oil, right?

European whaling is kind of old. The Basques were doing it in the 15th century. The Dutch and English start doing it in the 17th. And the Americans start doing it in the 17th as well. But it doesn't become a big commercial product until 18th century. Then it has a brief run, and in the late 1850s you see Kerosene pop up and displace it. It's clean-ish. It's doesn't burn smoky but it smells like poo poo. Much of New England's whaling fleet became privateers during the Revolutionary War, mostly because the British saw them as prime targets.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

In significant parts of the post-war South, it was a "win" for the former slaveholders (and, let's be very clear, a tragic loss for humanity).

Slaves were expensive, and slaveowners had to keep them housed and fed year-round. The rise of convict leasing after the Civil War meant that plantation owners could effectively get slaves on-demand when they needed them for something like a harvest, then throw them back onto the streets when they were done.

There were always plenty of people to feed into the system, because the entire legal system was set up to criminalize normal behavior and give financial incentives to law enforcement and cities for providing convicts into the lease system. Walking down the street while Black, and the local plantation needs more field hands? You're a vagrant now, sentenced to hard labor until the harvest is done. State needs a few more people on the chain gang for a new highway? Same deal.

The actual human beings were even more disposable than chattel slaves, since they didn't represent a capital investment any more. Mines and factories took full advantage of this aspect and worked convict laborers to death. Nobody with power had much reason to care.

People like to paint a picture of continuous, if slow, progress from slavery, to abolition with limited civil rights and Jim Crow, to that ending and our 100% racially harmonious and nondiscriminatory society today. But that's not quite how things have worked in practice. Slavery was an abominable practice and an affront to human decency, but there were times and places after the Civil War that were likely worse than antebellum chattel slavery.

Something that might provide some perspective on how widespread the system was to re-enslave black people was. In 1893 convict leases made up 70% of the revenue for the state of Alabama. And Alabama was far from alone in this.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

You’re right that the prison labor system was hosed and awful but it’s still a hell of a stretch to say “actually the confederates won in the end.”

Some of the issue with the hyperbole is that it's coming from a place where the popular perception of post war history is that slavery was done, blacks were freed and the end. Which feeds into the sentiment of, "It's been 155 years, why the hell haven't Blacks gotten over slavery?" that is so often said with a bit of a sneer. Yes, it's lacking in nuance but the popular perception is so loving wrong that that it's not even in the ballpark. The system that replaced it was a small improvement but it's still a pretty small improvement. But it also sets up a lot of other things that tie in to very modern race issues. Moving the power plantation owners had over slaves to the state having power over the Black population creates all kinds of lovely issues that linger. So using the hyperbole as a club to get people's attention for this isn't a bad thing. And it's only kinda wrong. In the end the plantation classes kept their power and ended up building a system that isn't exactly what they had before but one that solves some of the economic issues their old system was running them towards. Yeah, that's not really a win but it's not really a loss either.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Sure, it's just that there's a vividness that seems a tiny bit out of place given the other qualities of the film, like they restored the color but couldn't do much about the physical condition of the film.

It's legit. It's part of the batch of film George Stevens shot. Most of what he shot was professional 35 mm B&W but he also took a 16 mm camera and a bunch of Kodachrome stock. That's from one of his 16 mm films. And that's just what 16 mm Kodachrome looks like. It was pretty advanced for it's time but there are really compelling reasons you don't see it used widely in the film industry. Also I doubt they did much actual restoration to the color. One of Kodachrome's traits is that unless you leave a slide in a projector or stop the projector on a single shot, the stuff doesn't fade. It's possible he took this reel home with him but most of his filming during the war is in DoD archives.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I didn't participate in the discussion apparently, so if someone did, that'd be great

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2377281/

By 1962 it's 43 doses per person per year in terms of legal amphetamine production in the US. Note that this doesn't count illegal production and is based on survey data from the manufacturers in the US. But lots of it was also imported as well during the 60's when doctors realized they could cut out the middleman of the pharmacist. They'd get bunches of pills shipped to them directly and sell them. Obetrol was a popular weight loss drug which was amphetamine based. Later on it would be reformulated without the meth bits and rebranded as Adderall.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

When did the legal meth prescriptions for weight loss end?

In 1971 the DEA moved most of the stuff that had bits of meth in it to Schedule II. That cut down on availability quite a bit. Then in 72 the FDA started cracking down on efficacy claims pretty much killed it. It's used very sporadically now. Amphetamines are still the core medicine for Ritalin and Adderall.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait, meth amphetamine was legal?

Reading the wiki on meth, apparently meth is still used for weight loss, but for obvious reasons it's only prescribed for very specific medical weight loss

Obetrol was made of the following:

2.5 mg methamphetamine saccharate
2.5 mg methamphetamine hydrochloride
2.5 mg racemic amphetamine sulfate
2.5 mg dextroamphetamine sulfate

The 20 mg version just doubled that.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

Kind of surprised that racemic amphetamine is in there. Typically only one stereoisomer is active. Or was this before all of this was really figured out?

That I have no idea.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

if anyone wants to truly internalize the mid-century attitude towards stimulants, read chitoryu's bond thread. Entirely normal human beings--even one guy who is described canonically as timid, unloved, and too respectable for his own good--casually swilling down benzedrine. It was a powder and they mixed it into their drinks.

Some of the stories out of MLB had Dexedrine pills everywhere. Urns of coffee with powdered Dexedrine mixed in. Bowls of greenies next to the sunflower seeds. Some guesses are that 80% of the MLB baseball players were using them. And the league didn't ban them till 2006. A lot of the more WTF Cold War planning things make more sense if you imagine the planners having a pretty serious Amphetamine habit.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t even know where this should go but I figure people here might enjoy it. M

A while back a friend gave me an E German cookbook from 1985. It’s that state printing company poo poo paper and cardboard hard cover that ends up weighing like a third of what the book should. Any of you who have any old East German books will know what I mean

Anyways they have a mix of German recipes and fancy international poo poo that you can totally cook with the stuff you can buy in Dresden or Brandenburg in 1985, we promise. They up sell traditional dishes from fellow Warsaw Pact countries of course but you’ll find French and Italian etc too

This, meine Damien und Heeren (lets be honest just Damen because the cook book was of course published by the Verlag für die Frau) is what an East German “totally authentic” Italian Neapolitan pizza looks like.

Why yes that’s a pie tin just like they use in Italy why do you ask?

That’s salami.

The recipe specifies that you can use either tomatoes or ketchup.

Don’t forget the margarine in the pizza crust or to spread anchovie paste on it.

And thus peace was brought to the Pizza war between New York and Chicago as a common enemy was found.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

So we got into a deep discussion of American food at breakfast today, and I went on a long unprompted soliloquy about the great American tradition of co opting the foods of oppressed people and making it into what middle American white folks eat on a regular basis while simultaneously ripping on immigration and borders and whatnot.

My daughter asked "what about Native American food" and I was a bit at a loss...while slave food and Chinese food et al have become staples of modern American culture, I couldn't think of any immediate examples of NA food culture having widespread popularity in the US. Then my wife, who was probably trying to get me to stop talking, said "Mexican food, idiot" and went back to her coffee.

I think she's probably right, but I don't really know enough about either actual Mexican food nor NA food to have a strong opinion on this. Do you think it is accurate to say that NA food is broadly represented in modern American Tex-Mex, and if so, does that make it the MOST popular oppressed people food?

I can't speak to Mexican food but I can talk about some other influenced foods. Fried Green Tomatoes was a Native American food before being adopted by the South. Much of New England cuisine is Native American in it's roots. The various forms of succotash are based on NA dishes. Same for the clam bake. The modern baked beans we eat are a variation on Native American recipes. The original recipe being beans, maple syrup and fat, often bear but other fats would work. The modern adaptation is molasses and pork fat. Corn fritters also introduced to us by the Native Americans. And of course Maple Syrup.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Everything else being equal, would a ship traveling in saltwater get better fuel economy than the same ship in freshwater? I know this seems stupid,

In a perfect sphere world, you'd likely get a fractionally better fuel economy in freshwater rather than salt. Saltwater is a bit more dense and causes more drag. It would matter in terms of cost for a large navy but wouldn't be noticeable on a per ship operating budget.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

There were multiple places in the world that either attained socialist or communist governance or have had persistent leftist insurgencies after the atrocities of the war were widely publicized. I'm putting the start point here at roughly 1972. Linebacker II ended in 72, and if communists worldwide were paying as close attention as you expect, they should have noticed Rolling Thunder and Linebacker already, not to mention every other act of tremendous violence the US inflicted.

Lumping them together, here is a list off the top of my head:
India
The Philippines
Colombia
Spain
Venezuela
Chile
Burkina Faso
Ethiopia
Thailand
Mexico
Guatemala
Grenada
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Bolivia
Brasil
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Eritrea
Angola
Mozambique

I'm sure I'm forgetting a broad swath of other countries, but there were also many that already had (at least nominally) left wing governments by that time. I'm not just talking about the Warsaw Pact, China, Vietnam and Cuba either but also places like Egypt and Iraq. Indeed, it's places where America already had serious ability to project force that you see some very hard-fought wars, like Nicaragua and Colombia.

Peru, Laos, Afghanistan, and Nepal can be added to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

As a fellow dumb guy we gotta help each other out.

Lol can't believe I forgot Afghanistan.

I'm not really aware of what's going on in Francophone Africa in the 70s and 80s except Mobutu being a monster, it's a gap in my knowledge I'd like to fill.

Also if anyone has book recs on Mozambique or Angola's anticolonial wars please please please lmk.

The communist revolution in Afghanistan dove tails into the Soviet invasion pretty neatly so it's kinda easy to forget. Coup in April of 1978, civil war, then proxy war, then the Soviets invade in December of 1979. The same month they install Karmal as the head of the government. He lasts till 1986 when the Soviets depose him and replace him with Mohammad Najibullah who maintains a degree of power base until 1992.