Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I have a thought experiment I was wondering about the other day. If you were given access to modern shipbuilding knowledge/science/computer modeling, but needed to build a ship using only techniques, budgets and materials that might be available to a major naval power in the early 1800's, could you make a fighting ship that would be noticeably superior to leading examples of the time. I assume yes, even just on superior understanding of hydrodynamics and rigging, but I'm interested on hearing from people who have more knowledge than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Tias posted:

I actually misspoke (wrote!), the ones I've ordered is the first Aubrey-Maturin (Master and Commander), and it's already great fun!

Name of title, please! :aaa:

I felt like an idiot when I got around to reading the first book in that series and realized that the two main characters start off by immediately challenging each other to a duel. I have no idea how I missed it the first time around, I think I figured they were just being politely rude to each other and that was it. Maybe it was just the switch from trash fiction to a book that trusts its readers to understand subtext and so doesn't explicitly say things like "I challenge you to a duel!"