Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

A 30 minute long general British Army training film.

Contains following: stiff upper lip narrator, class sass, Bren Guns, stilted acting and that strange feeling this will veer into a Python parody sketch if irony is added.

Firing my rifle at nazi planes

E: what's all this going on, there goes the boche

e2: jawohl corporal, heil hitler

e3: this has seriously made my lunch

e4: all this silly twerp does

e5: oh nice shooting corporal

e6: ready for any other messerschmitts, dorniers, junkers, or what have you

e7:it'll make a nice little surprise packet for the boche

e8: oh god it ends with a rhyme

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the carnival is GOD and may all posters find Him

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

I've had this recommended to me for the past couple of days. Really glad I watched it now.

Everyone's forgot to mention it has Canadians (pretty much all the soldiers in the demonstrations and such far as I can tell, though that Sergeant who sounded like a mix of Eric Idle and Michael Palin was not Canadian, unless some Canadians spoke like that back then). So, I guess the "1930's" in the video title might be a bit off.

I was confused as to if they were using some kind of british accent I'd never heard of or not. Other than Herr Korporal and the dude that I'm pretty sure is Darling everyone sounds wayyyy to close to home to be 1930s or 40s brits.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 6, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

What would a rifle do to an attacking plane, anyway? Or is it just a case of lol you're not going to hit that drat thing stop wasting ammo

hello old chap, precise rifle fire is exactly what's needed to give jerry planes the business

i've found just the informative video to make it clear

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 6, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

Wow. I honestly thought that was much longer. I blame Victoria 1 and 2.

It was run more autonomously than most territories and had a shadow government of mormon elders up until the railroads allowed vastly more non-Mormon settlers to arrive

ChubbyChecker posted:

No, then it isn't.

Human beings tend to not be motivated by objective facts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

I guess I just don't agree that 'Joe Schmoe has been successfully propagandised into thinking this is an existential war' and 'this is actually an existential war' are equivalent statements.

As originally used the term describes the threat to Israel by Hezbollah. What people think is the only reason to even talk about “existential war.”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 10, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

They thought that they could:

- Pull off a surprise attack that sinks half of the US Navy, then...

- Sink the other half when it shows up in the Pacific after a long voyage across the world.

- After which the USA decides that the war isn't worthwhile.

This is what they did to Russia in 1904-05, so why not try it again?

But objectively, they couldn't, so why talk about what they thought?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
none of you get my shitposting style

gently caress you moms and dads

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

objectively my dudes are starving. Subjectively they are the equals of nobles. the contrast between these drives the plot of my future (!!!???????) book

My original thought was basically that the only reason to care about whether a given war was "existential" at all is to discuss the people involved. The potential real outcomes are irrelevant unless you want to up the stakes for reasons and claim that X war was REALLY existential while Y was propaganda poo poo for babies.

But then I got drunk and now I'm day drunk, I love all you historical moms and dads.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Longstreet and Little Mac for most underrated

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

NATO 5.56 is .22 caliber?

Almost, yeah.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nebakenezzer posted:

I discovered the Revolutions podcast about a year ago, and the American revolution is a early one he covers. Washington is pretty goddamn impressive in that he wins the war but almost no battles

I think understanding how that happened is key in understanding how the Confederacy thought they could win.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

wiegieman posted:

They're completely different wars. The Revolutionary War was fought at the end of an overseas logistics trail, passing through waters that could be credibly threatened by hostile powers, with the help of said hostile powers supplying arms and training on the ground and then starting a much larger war directly with the British.

Yeah agreed, which is why I put thought in italics.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Texas of balkanized 1865 would not be modern Texas at all (sorry Republic of Texas you tried). The eastern chunk would be "Texas" and probably join up with wherever Florida and/or Louisiana are at. South would just be Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and Coahuila, But More So, and my homeland, the west, would be wherever modern New Mexico ends up.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 18, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Early Antarctic explorers literally couldn’t consume enough calories to avoid losing weight, even when they had plenty of dense food. I dunno how many calories your body needs to maintain its temperature in that cold but it’s a lot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Into the Wild guy specifically crossed a river that floods significantly in spring from snow melt and then got stuck when he couldn't cross back across it in summer. I find it real hard to believe a hunter-gatherer band in the far north would be bamboozled by such a river.

e: from what I understand even today in northern Canada and Alaska people living In A Society still have to plan travel around whether the snowmelt has happened or not.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 20, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also most modern junk food has vitamins in it. Yesterday I stayed off scurvy by eating a pack of sour gummy worms. I assume this is why even those poor enough to be suffering chronic malnutrition in the US don’t come down with poo poo like scurvy, it’s always weirdo goonlords.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They’re a pretty horrendous invasive species. Unsurprisingly for the mid-20th century, attempts were made to combat them by introducing predatory snails which proceeded to ignore the African invasive snails and further decimate native populations in the pacific.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How well would a large sauropod stand up to an artillery barrage?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This was shown in the documentary movie “Pleasantville”

I really love that movie because it breaks so many boomer stereotypes about suburban 1950s America

I don't think this is necessarily limited to the boomers. Boomer attitudes towards 1950s is not all that different from how (mostly conservative) people around my own age (26) already wax nostalgic about the 90s. I mean we'd have to wait 30 years to really compare but if you're already yelling at kids these days for watching different cartoons and liking different pokemon I can't imagine your nostalgia goggles are going to fade with age.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DiHK posted:

Wtf do 26 year olds know about the 90s?

Exactly as much as my 69-year-old (if he were alive) boomer dad knew and 61-year-old boomer mom knows about the 50s.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 22, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

The first national events I remember from my childhood are Nixon's resignation and the fall of Saigon. I was very young, but I distinctly remember my parents telling me to pay attention to the TV news when they were watching them.

I like to wonder if having been born so late in my parents' lives changed my view of things. I'm dating someone two years younger than me, but my dad was born in 1950 and served in Vietnam, while their dad was young enough to be an officer in Iraq and Afghanistan in the 2000s while we were still in elementary school.

I remember being terrified and sad after 9/11 while everyone else, kids and adults, were in full "hooah let's get Saddam" mode. Also that I deliberately changed my accent to start sounding "american" because before Iraq we still spoke french at home a lot of the time and then freedom fries happened.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Bush's Iraq ultimatum happened over spring break 2003 in Texas public school and was less than a week after pokemon Ruby and Sapphire came out. I'll never forget that. Especially because 9/11 is my birthday and I got a gameboy advance for my present in 2001.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 22, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

welcome to history you OLD

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Also wasn't there a lot of handwringing over some game that let you play as the Wehrmacht?

I think the controversy is more that until recently in games you just played as the Honourable No Different From Their Enemies Except Very Elite (But Less So Than The SS) And Also All The Best Guns And Tanks Wehrmacht and now for some reason people are more interested in something resembling the actual Wehrmacht.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Was being the one idiot with a foofy helmet on, open jacket, and wacky pose part of your job, or were you just born to be a goon-marine?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

I was in elementary school during the first Gulf War and I remember us all being made to write letters to The Troops.

I most likely drew fighter jets on mine.

I had to do that in the second. I remember drawing US, UK, Texas, Confederate, and French flags, and a whole bunch of dead people with cartoony gore.

Also my cousin ended up getting crippled in Iraq around while I was doodling, but I didn't know that until after.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jesus the prophet who got zapped into heaven doesn't quite gel with the whole sacrifice and resurrection for are sins thing if you're an islamic extremist state.

Us jews do the same things, except Israel has to maintain the pretense of democracy to keep all the Uncle Sam bucks coming, so we don't get to be as blatant as Saudi Arabia.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 23, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

During the "Desert Shield" stage we drove around quite a bit and would occasionally cross paths with other units. Once we ran into a French Foreign Legion armored car/recon unit. We stopped and ate together. They broke out a bottle of wine.

We were stunned, as Saudi Arabia was/is a 100% "dry" country. Wine or any other form of alcohol is absolutely prohibited - but nonetheless, the Legion had their wine.

I remember asking a Legionnaire what would happen if their wine was cut off. In a dead serious tone he replied, "We would shoot our officers."

Good to see that french ideals exist even in the legion.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

Tabletop wargames do this:

I like how the first thing your eye is drawn is the fat Göring-ish officer, then you pan over all the models and take it in, and return to the officer. Prolly while shamelessly imagining his biting down on a cyanide capsule a day or two later. At least that's what I iùgine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ataxerxes posted:

I know some fellows who were peacekeepers in Kosovo in the early 2000's and they said the same about the Armee de Terre (I think, the regular French army). Wine was a part of the rations, not that the soldiers were plastered, at least in public.

yeah that was a thing and I promise the soldiers were plastered in public, they just hid it in a military manner.

e: also there is never a bad time to post this poem describing poor military wine circa 1915

Salut! Pinard de l’intendance,
Qu’as d’trop peu ou goût de rien,
sauf les jours où t’aurais tendance
A puer l’phénol ou bien l’purin.
Y’a même des fois qu’tu sens l’pétrole,
T’es trouble, t’es louche et t’es vaseux,
Tu vaux pas mieux qu’ta sœur la gnole.
C’est sûr comme un et un font deux,
Qu’les riz-pain-sel y vous mélangent
Avec l’eau d’une mare à canards ;
Mais qu’y faire? la soif vous démange.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 24, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

honda whisperer posted:

Fire fighters love fighting fires. Sometimes you've got to start your own I guess.

Question. I'm not a historian at all. Wouldn't even rate myself at armchair level.

I've been reading "the fall of the third republic" by William Shirer. Very interesting since everything pre Pearl harbor gets glossed over in American media.

He seems really into dunking on France for liking horses, not seeing exactly how tanks work in the future, etc. Hindsight being 20/20 is what it feels like.

Have any militaries seen something like blitzkrieg coming and been able to prepare for it? If so how did they see it coming? R&d + wargames? Do wargames allow enough freedom to try crazy unseen poo poo?

The French either having bad tanks* or no armoured divisions** shows up a lot but it’s not really accurate. When two French DLMs met two panzer divisions in Belgium they stopped them in their tracks and killed more enemy tanks than they lost. The S-35 also proved a match for the Pz III and IV and dunked all over the II. Unfortunately none of that matters when the actual armoured spearhead is driving through the Ardennes and crashing into reservist infantry, so the DLMs and the rest of the best french units and most of the BEF just ends up immediately compromised and forced to start falling back.

*they had some critical flaws- the S-35 and B1 bis were the best performers and still had mediocre guns, the S-35 didn’t have radios, both had inadequate engines for their size and both had the miserable one-man turrets that meant the commander was also gunner and loader. But they were able to compete with the best of what the Germans were fielding.

** the DLMs (light mechanized divisions- light meaning fast) were pre-war armoured divisions in all respects and made up of the “cavalry” tanks and motorized and mechanized infantry and support. The “infantry” tanks were also partially in divisions called “armoured divisions” by May 1940 but I don’t know what their organization actually was. De Gaulle commanded one and it remained intact until the ceasefire.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 28, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bewbies posted:

I dunno about historical wargames, but designing modern wargames is sort of an art unto itself. You want to give the players latitude to act creatively and unexpectedly, but you can't let them do things that 1) are impossible, or 2) ruin the training or capability development objectives of the wargame. The problem of course is that "impossible" is a rather imprecise term, and history shows repeatedly how people kind of have a knack for doing things that everyone else thought impossible.

I always kind of wonder how this stuff went down back in the day, like if some red team player proposed a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, but was shouted down by the controllers because THE HARBOR IS TOO SHALLOW or something like that.

Wasn’t there a US general that cheated his rear end off a while back in an exercise but it got popularized sans cheating anyway? I remember like ten years ago “US CARRIER GROUP VULNERABLE TO TWO MOTOR BOATS AND A DOLPHIN SUICIDE VEST” making the rounds on the internet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I feel like there is a pretty clear line between teleporting invisible bikes and the idea that the american navy can, somehow, move its ships.

If those are equally plausible then someone hit up the french high command circa 1939 with the god-tier bike couriers and we can stop the drat nazis in their tracks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

to get iced by canadians...a shameful fate

tell that to dutch nazis

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The french did this against Robin Hood circa Medieval AD

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
According to my dad, my nazi grandpa's number one criticism of his son marrying a franco-yankee jewess was the bombings of Germany. (He immigrated to Chicago and had very strong opinions about the poles and jews there so let me clarify that grandpa was a horrible unrepentant nazi. Somehow though, being jewish but western was ok to him, but tommy and yankee bombs were unforgivable.)

But I'm sure this time bombing all the cities will make everyone love the invaders.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 7, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
George Washington was secretly trained by a time traveling tsarist to ensure the fall of the USSR

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also donate four bucks to the NAACP or something as penance for Giving The Author Money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I haven't seen Midway but Pearl Harbor is good if your only criterium is watching planes and ships blow up in an accurate version of the harbour with practical effects involved