Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im 35 and im better at cod than i have ever been.

the advantage I have over young people with faster reflexes is tactics. my reflexes are pretty good, even better with a bit of weed, but patience is much better as an old man than it was when i was younger.

I mostly play core objective but most of this is universal.

minimap is also super helpful. even without UAV up you can make pretty safe assumptions on the enemy team positions based purely on where your team mates are and even more so if you actually trust your team mates/they are on comms. trying to get pubbie teammates to cover the *other* door, without comms at least, is an exercise in frustration. cover your own rear end, gently caress the pubbie.

when capping a point in Domination I'll sit on it for 5 seconds or so and then jump off it and hide to try and catch out anyone who comes charging in to defend. there is usually zero cover within the actual capture point anyway. good example is B flag on Rammaza. start capping, get some attention, then sprint to the bushes near the construction site and watch the rooftop opposite you or listen for footsteps on the bridge.

hardpoint/HQ/domination point defense is best done from *outside* the capture point looking in, i find.

Trophy systems are better as early warning systems than actual projectile defense imo - place them away from the area you want to defend and closer to the direction the enemy will be attacking from (also because trophy explosions hurt you if its your trophy) they stop cruise missiles too.

you can also use thermite/molotov as a less reliable means to detect approaching enemies, and to a lesser extent stun/flash too - chuck at an entrance and wait for the hit indicators. more versatile than just a snapshot nade. getting a thermite where its out of sight but also in range to affect players is key. that single tick of damage someone snags as they run under a thermite isnt enough to make them hold back and regen but it is enough to give you a warning someone is coming *and* they are now down 20% health (15% if using battle hardened).

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Theophany posted:

There was a pro clan of old dudes competing in CS years back, I'm sure a couple of them were in their 70s.

No, there wasn't. There were 2 'old person clans' put together as a marketing stunt. The first, sponsored by Lenovo, got stomped horribly in the few games they played, then two years later some other company built another team built to complete the gimmick. They competed vs one another in a gimmick 'CSGO seniors world cup' at dreamhack and have not played since.

Folks it is a hard truth that your fast twitch reflexes, especially in your hands and fingers, are not as good or coordinated at 35 as they are at 25. The other hard truth is that those reflexes are probably not why you're losing your fights in Warzone/COD

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 24, 2021

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

comedyblissoption posted:

If your target is sprinting laterally, you have to lead a lot to hit them with a sniper shot. Bullets are pretty slow in this game.

Jumping up to peek over cover and taking snipe shots is definitely do-able if you have a good idea where your target is and are mostly pre-aimed on them.

Funny enough, on kitted ARs they're faster than real life. I think only SMGs and some other flavor-tweaked guns are any slower than their real counterparts.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
BF is a much more chill game due to bigger team sizes and a slower pace. A bad game or player in COD is way more impactful on the outcome of a match.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Battlefield is and has been my jam for a decade. Battlefield vs. CoD is an unreal change. I keep running into people hopping around corners, landing head shots on me with a scoped sniper before they hit the ground.

HOW DO THEY KNOW I'M EVEN THERE?!

That's the "know where they're going to be" thing. I take each section of the map at a time and just get used to where people usually are. For as big of a map Verdansk is it's surprising just how consistently people go to the exact same spots using the exact same strategies. From there it's simply knowing that when you attack building x people will probably be at corners a, b, or c, then you just place your crosshairs and jump around the corner. From there you just have to use those old man reactions to pull the trigger while his teenage reflexes have to move the mouse AND pull the trigger. You'll win. I'm at a 1.45-1.5 KDR, not great but according the the internets top 7% ish, again at near 40 with a full time job. I have almost NEVER lost a fight and gone "if only I had clicked faster". Almost every single time it's been "wow I was WAY out of position" or "that push was stupid" or "I need to remember to drop shot at the beginning of a fight". All of that is super easy to do and doesn't require insane reflexes, it just takes a little situational awareness... and maybe watching how the twitch dudes move (the big ones being in their 30s as well).

To me, with the TTK as high as it is (takes a long time to kill someone), movement > reflexes with COD. Just aim upper torso and eventually one bullet will hit the head. Games like Valorant are MUCH harder, since it's so much more relfexes and precise crosshair placement.

Baiting teammates is also key.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 24, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'd be terrified to check my K/D. I listen to podcasts while I play with my pet parrot running around, so my attention isn't always 100%.

If I recall correctly, in the last two days I had one match where I went something like 60k-20d at the top of both boards, then tonight I had a match go 10k-21d. God only knows what trash tier SBMM bracket I'm in.

I definitely excel when I'm on a good SMG map. But I'm starting to feel out where LMGs fit in the game, because the few rounds I've played, they are loving lasers.

I'm also angry that a blueprint got me to dump thirty some odd levels into the SKS. One round with the DMR-14 and I'm never touching the SKS again.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

veni veni veni posted:

There's definitely a wide margin of reflex ability and I and most goons are no where near the top, but I feel like how well we do in warzone is 75% strategy. If everyone is on, communicating, talking about the game etc. It's not unusual for us to win or walk out with a combined 30+ kills.

now, actually getting people in that mode is the uphill battle and most of the firefights we lose boil down to people loudly talking about a TV show or something over a firefight while the rest of the team is trying to do callouts. Or just randomly pot shotting at things for no reason other than boredom or whatever. Not that I'm pointing fingers because I am guilty of it as well.

:boom:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst is when we get stuck playing with this idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB17bWphq6Q

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

To me, with the TTK as high as it is (takes a long time to kill someone), movement > reflexes with COD. Just aim upper torso and eventually one bullet will hit the head. Games like Valorant are MUCH harder, since it's so much more relfexes and precise crosshair placement.
I came from siege which has slightly faster ttk. I would have agreed with this, but not post cold war.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

The worst is when we get stuck playing with this idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB17bWphq6Q

This is the Classic Gary experience

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
No one should be shamed for adding style points

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If anything it’s his squads fault for not protecting him.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RCarr posted:

If anything it’s his squads fault for not protecting him.

That's always my excuse too.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
dont get owned dont get owned dont get owned
https://i.imgur.com/qBlAOTp.gifv

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

As you can clearly see at the end of the clip, I DID manage to get the spray off.

Next to our corpses

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
https://twitter.com/i/status/1364601886314274817

I'm pretty bummed. Found a great tool* to pull this off, but apparently this bug has been in place awhile :/

*toddgardner.github.io/stadiumcodes

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Just a reminder that if you are trying to get better at warzone or multi you should just come hang out with us in discord. We have games going at almost all times of day and it doesn't matter what skill level you play at as long as you try to work together. Also cross play is enabled so you can come play if you're on console too without any hassle.

https://discord.gg/xB3kuEaxrZ

Edit: fixed the link so it should be an active invite now!

municipal shrimp fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 24, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

municipal shrimp posted:

Just a reminder that if you are trying to get better at warzone or multi you should just come hang out with us in discord. We have games going at almost all times of day and it doesn't matter what skill level you play at as long as you try to work together. Also cross play is enabled so you can come play if you're on console too without any hassle.

https://discord.gg/C92YPhxh

Your link has expired

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, you get to experience a Wide And Interesting Array Of Player Styles.™

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What's the Cold War Multiplayer meta right now for ARs and SMGs? I like to put a lot of hours on a couple guns at a time. I also do a whole lot of old man ADSing. Would like to make sure I'm not wasting my time on the COD version of the Klobb.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ugh I'm back to getting the scan and repair error. Not the best way to start a new season

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CX-9 and RAAL are available as legendary world drops in Warzone right now which is cool. The RAAL has a unique scope that has a built in rangefinder

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Captain Log posted:

What's the Cold War Multiplayer meta right now for ARs and SMGs? I like to put a lot of hours on a couple guns at a time. I also do a whole lot of old man ADSing. Would like to make sure I'm not wasting my time on the COD version of the Klobb.

The AK74u is the meta smg of choice, and the XM4 is the current AR go to. I've personally enjoyed the Groza and the FFAR, but thats more personal choice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uhhhhhh no.

Xm4, unless changed today, has the worst velocity.

The u has good ttk in like 10m but is outclassed 10+ by the Mac or mp5

Nvm cw multi in the wz thread

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Wow, huge bullet velocity/range nerf to the Tundra. Guess I’m going back to the HDR.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Log posted:

The AK74u is the best of the SMGs. I really like the Krig as far as the ARs go.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So how do I play this free zombies thing? It says I already own the free access, but I can’t find out how to actually play it?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
They must have accidentally reverted the changes they made last season to the agency and wrapped suppressor, it cant be intentional?
As per loving normal we can't know for sure as their patch notes are dogshit and only detail about 20% of the things that have changed.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do I need to download the entire black ops game to play this new zombie mode? That can’t be right, can it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RCarr posted:

Do I need to download the entire black ops game to play this new zombie mode? That can’t be right, can it?

Probably

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Gordon Shumway posted:

The AK74u is the best of the SMGs. I really like the Krig as far as the ARs go.

Cool, I've been dumping my time into the 47u and the Krig. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

can you play the zombies warzone if you don't own Cold War?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Cool, I've been dumping my time into the 47u and the Krig. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now.

I feel like this needs to be said because this is the MW thread but these guns are real bad in Warzone so don't level them for that

Sandwolf posted:

can you play the zombies warzone if you don't own Cold War?

There are two separate events, each with their own rewards. The Warzone event looks like it's just going to be zombies taking over different POIs as the next 2 weeks progress. Namely the bunkers, hospital, and underneath stadium. It's not separate from the normal modes.

The Cold War event/game mode is Outbreak, and is F2P until March 11th but it's not a Warzone thing at all. They're only related thematically.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fart Car '97 posted:

I feel like this needs to be said because this is the MW thread but these guns are real bad in Warzone so don't level them for that

There are two separate events, each with their own rewards. The Warzone event looks like it's just going to be zombies taking over different POIs as the next 2 weeks progress. Namely the bunkers, hospital, and underneath stadium. It's not separate from the normal modes.

The Cold War event/game mode is Outbreak, and is F2P until March 11th but it's not a Warzone thing at all. They're only related thematically.

I've played maybe five rounds of Warzone so far, so I'm not yet focusing on the best guns for that game mode. I'm enjoying the fast paced, die and respawn of Domination right now. I wish Cold War had a Rust or Shipping Container map, for the sole purpose of being able to get sixty kills in a match by holding down on right trigger.

I played Outbreak and sorta followed the objective markers. Managed to get picked up by a helicopter, so yay?

Whenever I tried to play the Warzone version, it kept giving me error messages. Anyone else run into this? Zombies content has been ungodly laggy compared to everything else, even before the new battle pass.

(Modern Warfare is still the better multiplayer, but Cold War is still pretty decent.)

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Beens posted:

They must have accidentally reverted the changes they made last season to the agency and wrapped suppressor, it cant be intentional?
As per loving normal we can't know for sure as their patch notes are dogshit and only detail about 20% of the things that have changed.

Yes it was an accident and will be fixed again.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

it honestly never gets old

https://i.imgur.com/Dhfl8Ay.mp4

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So the zombie outbreak mode feels super janky. The FPS is terrible. I never played Cold War, is this just how the whole game is?

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

RCarr posted:

So the zombie outbreak mode feels super janky. The FPS is terrible. I never played Cold War, is this just how the whole game is?

Overall, the animations, sounds & general visuals of Cold War are a step back from Modern Warfare but I've never had any FPS issues in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I wish Cold War had a Rust or Shipping Container map, for the sole purpose of being able to get sixty kills in a match by holding down on right trigger.

You want the Nuketown 24/7 playlist.

Did they just completely get rid of the MW challenges? I was so close to getting those 25 semtex kills and being on the next part of it.