Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TMMadman posted:

I'm going to bitch about this hopefully one last time, but the fact that the shield isn't a one hit kill is loving absolute bullshit.

Try playing hardcore?
Especially the objective modes where people are compelled to push you disadvantageously.
i.e. bomb plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DarkDobe posted:

Try playing hardcore?
Especially the objective modes where people are compelled to push you disadvantageously.
i.e. bomb plants

No, it doesn't matter, it should be a one hit kill in regular core.

There are attachments to put on guns that turn them into one hit kill guns and shield users are incredibly vulnerable anyway because it's impossible to keep up with people and the hitbox for it is fairly small anyway. If your crouched, someone can jump and shoot you in the head. People can slide past you and shoot you before you can turn. Explosions can be mitigated somewhat with EOD, but they are still incredibly dangerous. You flat out can't sprint while using it or you'll die

Anyone who thinks the shield would be too powerful in regular core games as a one hit kill weapon has absolutely NOT used the shield for any length of time.

My shield is currently level 31 and I have 73 kills with it and 718 deaths (of course, that doesn't count C4/rocket/other kills) and even if the shield was a one hit kill I would probably only have maybe 100-120 kills, at most, with it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 15, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol

E: sound tells you what i listen to on repeat to get into the mood

https://imgur.com/a/Me3wUAf

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This NVG assault trial is uh...
Waaaay worse than the daytime one.

Despite it being pitch black 3 times in a row a random enemy would 180 headshot me around the halfway point.
Real fun.

Daytime one took me two tries to nail but this night one just kicked my teeth in.

TMMadman posted:

There are attachments to put on guns that turn them into one hit kill guns and shield users are incredibly vulnerable anyway because it's impossible to keep up with people and the hitbox for it is fairly small anyway. If your crouched, someone can jump and shoot you in the head. People can slide past you and shoot you before you can turn. Explosions can be mitigated somewhat with EOD, but they are still incredibly dangerous. You flat out can't sprint while using it or you'll die

Anyone who thinks the shield would be too powerful in regular core games as a one hit kill weapon has absolutely NOT used the shield for any length of time.

My shield is currently level 31 and I have 73 kills with it and 718 deaths (of course, that doesn't count C4/rocket/other kills) and even if the shield was a one hit kill I would probably only have maybe 100-120 kills, at most, with it.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly - but I moved to HC for that reason and it works well enough for shield murdering.
I've since migrated on to AK's though unless I want to be particularly painful in objective modes.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How am I supposed to get these stupid shield turret kills?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Statutory Ape posted:

lol

E: sound tells you what i listen to on repeat to get into the mood

https://imgur.com/a/Me3wUAf

I would love a mode that's just K98s, maybe the lever action. Pair it up with that crank thing where you always gotta be moving or you explode and hell yeah let's go

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Capn Beeb posted:

I would love a mode that's just K98s, maybe the lever action. Pair it up with that crank thing where you always gotta be moving or you explode and hell yeah let's go

I would play the poo poo out of a K98 only mode.

You can SORT of make it work in HC where its a one shot kill but better hope you don't miss...
Pair with smokes and molotovs and a knife for maximum authenticity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DarkDobe posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a K98 only mode.

It's called Call of Duty 2 multiplayer.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

the answer to all challenge woes is shoot house

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Anyone got attachment tips for the 680? It’s a reality check going from the 725 to this thing

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Sandwolf posted:

Anyone got attachment tips for the 680? It’s a reality check going from the 725 to this thing

Yes, but I'm not at my computer. First gun I took to 50. Basically build it for ads range. I'll try to get my full "gently caress you" build tomorrow

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

good gently caress leveling the AK compared to the m91 loving blows i feel like an literal raterd

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, I got my gold 725 and decided to try the 680 out for the hell of it, and it is so much worse than the triple-nerfed gun that I can't even begin to wrap my head around what thought process was going on when they were weapon balancing this game internally.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Holy poo poo, I got my gold 725 and decided to try the 680 out for the hell of it, and it is so much worse than the triple-nerfed gun that I can't even begin to wrap my head around what thought process was going on when they were weapon balancing this game internally.

lmao so i had never used the 725 until after the nerf and whether playing normal/real/hc i cant believe that gun used to be even better

otoh, i think its just fine now. i do not think a race to the bottom is the best way to balance guns in a video game. especially true, imho, when you have a lot of people complaining about a wide variety of guns across different weapon types lol. thats literally loving git gud territory, you cant just pick the top weapon of each class that irritates you the most to die to. sorry but the PKM, M4, 725, et al cant ALL be ~ * ~* game breaking

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

TMMadman posted:

I'm going to bitch about this hopefully one last time, but the fact that the shield isn't a one hit kill is loving absolute bullshit.

TMMadman posted:

Shields are dumb and you are dumb. Shoot guns in the gun shooting game.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Free for all should be my favorite but you just cant play it because its a total camp fest. I hope everyone who camps in free for all gets cancer of the eyes.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I for one am happy it’s easy to kill people who cheese with the shield.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the last match that i was getting 'owned' by shield-wielders in they lost (TDM) by like 15. i mean ya, lots of great triple kills when they flanked us but its a gimmick. the rage gamer in me cant stand dying to that poo poo but legit most of the irritating ways to die seem to come from teams that im beating, sooo

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colachute posted:

I for one am happy it’s easy to kill people who cheese with the shield.

How exactly do you cheese with the shield?

That's like the dumbest loving thing I've heard.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

TMMadman posted:

How exactly do you cheese with the shield?

That's like the dumbest loving thing I've heard.

There’s like 17 pages in this very thread of people complaining about people abusing an exploit with the shield.

I am okay with the shoe being on the other foot and those people that cheesed with the shield getting smoked easily.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Well they hosed over shield 100% now when you toss a lethal your shield just teleports onto your back instead of being held to the side like...well.. It does in first person.
It was broken before but now it's just worthless.
Only use for shield is maybe baiting out fire and drawing attention, not for combat.
At least you can still block RPGs and cruise missiles with it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colachute posted:

There’s like 17 pages in this very thread of people complaining about people abusing an exploit with the shield.

I am okay with the shoe being on the other foot and those people that cheesed with the shield getting smoked easily.

Ah yes, the firsy week exploit that was fixed so your argument is still loving stupid.

I dare anyone who thinks the shield is overpowered to use it for a while and then get back to me.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

TMMadman posted:

Ah yes, the firsy week exploit that was fixed so your argument is still loving stupid.

I dare anyone who thinks the shield is overpowered to use it for a while and then get back to me.

Why are you so angry

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Golly it's almost like actual real life war fighters don't run around with riot shields lmao throwing knives at people

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Golly it's almost like actual real life war fighters don't run around with riot shields lmao throwing knives at people

Golly, it's almost like this is a video game and not real life.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

*shoots 3 shots of an M4 then throws the mostly full magazine to the ground and reloads with a fresh mag*
*Dead sprints through a live fire zone, slides twenty feet on the ground, shoots an rpg at an enemy ten feet away*
*Captures an arbitrary point on a finite, magically enclosed zone before getting shot in the head*
*reincarnates forty yards away*

Ah yes, war. War never changes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In a way, the squads camping in the same building for an entire match is actually quite realistic!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Shields are silly - but they could serve a purpose if they were tuned a little better.

Before, they were hyper cheesy and broken by the lack of any animation during throws, but still vulnerable. Now there is literally no animation - the shield just pops onto your back meaning you die the instant you press your 'throw' key before you can even throw the thing, so using them offensively is more or less impossible.

Shield coverage itself is... not very good. Even staring at a person, the update rate for the shield user's character model means someone strafing around you can shoot your sides... or just jump and shoot your head. So they're only good at a distance, generally, and only good against one person at a time - anything more than a few degrees separation means one or the other can blast you. Remember, too, you need to be crouching to be covered, so you're going to be slower than everyone else.

They block direct hits from explosives - but this has been confirmed as a glitch, even if they failed to patch it. Most of the lethal thrown explosive options murder you through the shield anyway - especially thermite, molotovs and semtex.

That leaves us with what? Shields that uh... kind of sometimes block bullets, draw attention, and maybe serve as an edge case for scouting/peeking and distracting from your team mates. Running alongside a shield user is about the only viable function for the things.

Some folks are happy with this I guess, but to me they feel like a gimmick that isn't even really useful except in edge cases. I'd like it if they fixed up at least the throw animation, since revamping the entire model/collision/orientation problem is probably too much trouble to be worthwhile. The only marginal use I get out of the shield now is gathering intel i.e. peeking around a corner or a window (probably getting shot anyhow) when I am trying to push an objective or defend against rushes - at which point the best I can do is hope my team listens to the callouts, or that I can get off a lucky throw/swap to sidearm. It's barely usable for defense, and pushes with it are a crapshoot more so than ever.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So I have a problem, I cant decide which pink/purple skin to use on my stubby 34 for maximum Freud.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So I have a problem, I cant decide which pink/purple skin to use on my stubby 34 for maximum Freud.

The hot pink Topo one I think.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

The hot pink Topo one I think.

That's what I'm leaning towards, simply because its unlock req makes it more prestigious, not that getting mounted kills with an LMG is particularly difficult.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
See DarkDobe gets it.

Although, I believe the throwing glitch only affected knives because I would get shot using C4 before the patch. As far as I can tell, it just moves your shield slightly when you throw tactical grenades because I never get shot tossing them even if I'm staring at the guy.

Honestly, if they gave me one hit melee kills and made some kind of compromise for throwing lethals, I would be pretty happy with the shield as it currently stands.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Shields are for protection. They are not weapons and should not be OHK.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The purpose of the shield is to be a second weapon with overkill and just leave it on your back to block bullets.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beastie posted:

Shields are for protection. They are not weapons and should not be OHK.

I agree that shields are for protection, but I should be able to protect myself by smashing your face in if you're dumb enough to let me get within a few feet of you.

It's a video game and not real life.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

colachute posted:

Why are you so angry

he has a long history of shield trauma ITT

E: frankly the shield whining (whether for or against, idgaf) is the best part about it. i wish the game tracked your overall deaths by what weapon so we could expose the ppl spending 70% of their whining on .5% of their deaths

fyi, we'd all die less in this game if we checked both ways before cross the street rather than touch shields one way or another

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Remove shields from the game imo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

colachute posted:

Why are you so angry

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

he has a long history of shield trauma ITT

E: frankly the shield whining (whether for or against, idgaf) is the best part about it. i wish the game tracked your overall deaths by what weapon so we could expose the ppl spending 70% of their whining on .5% of their deaths

fyi, we'd all die less in this game if we checked both ways before cross the street rather than touch shields one way or another

It does track by weapon. I have somewhere around 75-80 kills with the shield and like 800 deaths. My shield is currently at level 31 and my highest actual weapon is 30 and my RPG is 28.

I primarily play objective games with the shield, so I don't really care about deaths and am mostly just happy to cap points and gum up the works. It's just frustrating to me that for as fun as I find it to run around with the shield that the best tactic for someone else to deal with the shield is to just run straight at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Anyone else think C4 blast radius is maybe too big? On shoot house in HQ mode a team I was on was getting destroyed by a C4 throwing team. Was wild. I got like 60 kills but it wasn’t enough. Also once you get the add ons to make the MP5 a hip fire machine you do really shred through people.