Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Was this ever a big problem? People breaking into wild guffaws whenever a hearse went by, so they needed to make a song to warn everybody to stop?

Wikipedia shockingly has no information about the origin of the song. Just that it's been around since WW1 maybe back to the 1850s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hearse_Song

If you've been living under a goddam rock, or maybe you're just foreign, and don't know what I'm talking about here's the song. Be warned, it's catchy as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJppqS8uDyQ

To make things more confusing and mysterious there are lots of different versions. Lots. Like this overly dramatic presentation that has a beetle with demonic eyes instead of green worm with rolling eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xclh_676KwE
Overall this version seems less credible. Why would they wrap you in bloody sheets? Where do you even buy bloody sheets? Isn't it far more likely they wrap you up in white sheets, as the previous version suggests? The sheets might get bloody if you're all bloody, but no one is going to bloody sheet store specifically to buy bloody sheets.

Some versions go for an outright threat "whoever laughs when a hearse goes by will surely be the next to die". Who are all these people laughing at hearses?

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I mean, imagine seeing David Koch's hearse go by

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean, imagine seeing David Koch's hearse go by

Gotta admit, the Koch Hearse is probably the weirdest version of the Bang Bus

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

I Said No posted:

Gotta admit, the Koch Hearse is probably the weirdest version of the Bang Bus

hahah

Re, the thread, well, the song was written in the 1850's and hearses were most likely pulled by a horse. What if the laughing maniacs are just your average maniac who enjoys the sight of horses?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some versions go for an outright threat "whoever laughs when a hearse goes by will surely be the next to die". Who are all these people laughing at hearses?

They're dead, OP. That's why you don't see them anymore.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Dead men write the best music, like 2Pac, and Prince, and the nice fancy man from Queen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The worms crawl in, the worms, crawl out, the worms play pinochle on your snout

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zhgi3OX1U

How the hell are worms doing this?!?

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

The worms crawl in, the worms, crawl out, the worms play pinochle on your snout

Teeheehee *covers nose*

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
im the worms in the song

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The "worms go in, worms go out" bit comes from the earliest versions of the folk song "Skin and Bones".

This is the more modern version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8_91r98td8

The one below is the oldest audio recording of it, and is pretty spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWm2lT6Etg

It's typically called an American folk song, but it's origins are at least as early as 1810 in Britain, under the name "The Gay Lady That Went to Church", and features the "worms crawl in, worms crawl out" line.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
My Noni loved that song and sang it all the time. She was the sweetest woman imaginable but she definitely had a morbid aspect to her character.

For example, her first husband cheated on her and had a whole separate family and children she didn't know about, and he eventually ditched her to live with them. When she read in the newspaper a few years later that they'd all burned to death in a house fire, she clipped out the article and kept it to commemorate the event :stare:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
jesus, your noni owned

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

jesus, your noni owned

:yeah:

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Long Live Noni!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:ninja: what if your noni set the fire :ninja:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Good Ol Filbert posted:

hahah

Re, the thread, well, the song was written in the 1850's and hearses were most likely pulled by a horse. What if the laughing maniacs are just your average maniac who enjoys the sight of horses?

What if the horse did a massive dump and someone following the hearse slipped in it? You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh at that.

Doc Block posted:

She absolutely did, killers always keep a memento.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Sunswipe posted:

What if the horse did a massive dump and someone following the hearse slipped in it? You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh at that.

That is true.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

Doc Block posted:

I wouldn't blame her one bit if she did, I'll tell ya that. I also wouldn't count out the possibility. That happened in like the 40s though, and she's dead, so nobody knows for sure except her and the worms.

Also, did I mention she was born on Halloween? :spooky:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
maybe you shouldn’t laugh because in the old days hearses were open, horse drawn carts, and laughing meant breathing in big gulps of rotting corpse air. 🤷‍♂️

or maybe it’s just really rude. unless a billionaire is in the hearse, in which case laugh all you want.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

noni definitely set that fire and she wanted you to know it.

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
are you threatening me op?

somebody call the cops :cop:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Never laugh when a thread is gassed, for yours may be the next to blast.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you chortle when goonne gets banne,
You may be the next in line

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i hope so op

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wasn't that in the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark book? That scared the poo poo out of me.

This of course as well. Great children's book.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you quote someone who just got probated
And then laugh at them
It could be you who then gets probated
Just a heads up

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hah, found my copy from the mid 90s.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Sing the rest of the song OP!!!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
when you shiver unexpectedly it means someone just walked across your grave

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hah, found my copy from the mid 90s.

Holy moley!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Origami Dali posted:

The "worms go in, worms go out" bit comes from the earliest versions of the folk song "Skin and Bones".

This is the more modern version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8_91r98td8

The one below is the oldest audio recording of it, and is pretty spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWm2lT6Etg

It's typically called an American folk song, but it's origins are at least as early as 1810 in Britain, under the name "The Gay Lady That Went to Church", and features the "worms crawl in, worms crawl out" line.

the earliest I can find is 'The Ballad of Alonzo the Brave and the Fair Imogine' (or, Imogene) written by M. G. Lewis and published in 1796 as part of his [awesome] novel "The Monk," which contains the following stanza:

code:
All present then uttered a terrified shout,	
  All turned with disgust from the scene;	
The worms they crept in, and the worms they crept out,	
And sported his eyes and his temples about,	      
  While the spectre addressed Imogine:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This is loving stupid, everyone dies anyway. Laugh at the hearse if you want, you only have a tiny window of opportunity in which to do so.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
i always associated this song with nursery rhymes because the first time i saw it was in a childrens book (still spooky tho)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGmcTmHJ6U

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

One of my buddies, who went off to technical college to study music, says that one of his classmates drove a hearse. He bought it cheap and then decked it out like Krieger's van in Archer with heavy metal artwork. This thread got me curious so I went googling and found some pictures. It's apparently not an unusual thing to do.

I also found this while searching for images:

https://www.japanallover.com/2012/04/japanese-hearse/

Pretty standard in Japan to decorate a hearse like a buddhist temple.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Check this one out:

You ain't never seen a hearse with a u-haul on the back, have you?

Pretty deep!

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Valko posted:

One of my buddies, who went off to technical college to study music, says that one of his classmates drove a hearse. He bought it cheap and then decked it out like Krieger's van in Archer with heavy metal artwork. This thread got me curious so I went googling and found some pictures. It's apparently not an unusual thing to do.

How many leave it to industry appearance spec but just add a "baby on board" sign?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Valko posted:

Used hearses tend to be cheap because a) most people don't want a car that's had dead bodies in it, and b) their gas mileage is horrible.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, OP, IT TOLLS FOR THEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Tony and Labya, you both make valid points. I met the guy who drove the hearse. He was like a megadeth/iron maiden t-shirt in human form. I don't think gas mileage or anything of the sort was on his mind when he bought it.

On a different note, there is a Catholic Church directly opposite the bar I work at (rural ireland, lol). Every time a limo peels away with a newlywed couple in it some middle aged married guy at the bar says "Hmph, might as well be hearse taking off." I've heard that dumb joke as many times as I've seen goons tell each other to turn their monitor on.