Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Wow this game came out of NOWHERE. This is pretty much the most fun Breaking poo poo game since Saints Row 4 and it runs like a loving top on my GTX 970. I can't even imagine what it'd be like on an RTX Super with raytracing on.

Unless the game quality falls off a cliff later on, I can see this being a serious GOTY contender with Doom: Eternal.

GlenMR posted:

I will say, there have been few better gameplay moments this year than the first time you pull soldier towards you, braining another enemy on the way, and then launch the first poor bastard into another guy. It's fun as hell.

Honestly the game had me in the second firefight, and I ran behind an office block which got shredded by gunfire. I am a total sucker for terrain and material deformation and this game does it drat near flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Try disabling film grain, it cleans up the picture quite a bit.

Nah I kinda see it, and its not a postprocessing effect. The actual shaders just have that fuzzy bit of visual noise in them. I kinda dig it though, since it gives the game about Jungian archetypes a very gauzy and dreamlike vibe. IMO it would undercut some of the feel it's going for if it were totally crisp and cleanly representational.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Alright I've played this too long, one more thing and I'm done. Dimensional Sciences... how bad could that be?"

*the doors open*

Ah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhK6dPj-O-c

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
apropos of not much: I'm in absolute awe of how making ammo regenerating but health strongly finite solves every single thing I hate about 3rd person cover gameplay in a single inversion.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Good to hear. You getting a stable 30-60fps? Or is it just all over the place with the amount of poo poo you can blow up and interact with during a combat sequence?

I'm getting a buttery smooth 60 with mostly Medium settings (some high) on a gtx 970

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I've noticed some occasionally weird things with sight offset relative to the actual aimpoint at close ranges, if that's what you're referring to

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

redreader posted:

I'm on a 980 and was playing on low all so far, and no crashes. Turning up everything to medium now and it seeeemms fine. Without the latest driver update, even low was slow.
I've only got 8GB ram and an old CPU though so I'm sure those are my bottlenecks.

Yeah this is the most CPU and RAM throttled game I've played in a long while. On a given map you can count the assets that are not physics objects on two hands with spare fingers, its nuts.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If you're having trouble on an nvidia card, the 8/27 drivers make a world of difference. My local performance was already pretty very steady at medium considering what was being put out, but now I can stream encoding through my 970 at a reasonable 30-60.

Cardiovorax posted:

So, what exactly is up with that supposed "metroidvania format," then? How much of it is there and how good did they make it?

I would say it's less "metroidvania" and more "you can go back to pick up anything you've missed with progressively better movement abilities, in a map that makes fairly efficient use of space minus a couple intra-map elevators that are clearly loading screens".

There are things that you can't grab until you have later-game pickups/keycards and you'll be revisiting floors of the building a fair bit and wandering off the beaten path a bit more, but its not like you'll be hunting down a 250th missile launcher upgrade or anything. Nothing you'll ever be going to is more than a minute away from a fast travel waypoint, once you know where you're going.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I love enemies that have near-silent, near-invisible attacks without any tells that take off 50% of my HP. It's very good game designs.

Yeah fighting the moldy boys loving SUCKS THE BIG ONE and I am not a fan. Its not enough that its homing shots, its not enough that one volley drat near 100-0's you, its not enough that their range is basically infinite. No: they also need to blend in nearly perfectly with their background and are obscured by atmospheric mold spores besides.

That's the one really really big misstep I've found so far.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Honestly, Salvador wasn't a patch on how bullshit some of the Major Targets sidequests can be.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

For a real hot take I think the mediocre combat in Control is much better than the bad system shock inspired combat in Prey.

I love Prey so much I married it, and I would actually agree with this.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

guppy posted:

Any tips on what stuff to upgrade first with Ability Points? I'm sitting on several because I don't know what's important. I've rarely run into anything that I felt slightly bigger numbers would have helped with.

Health, Energy, Telekinesis, everything else is very nice but those will give you the most bang for the buck.

Don't worry, you'll run into things where you'll regret not having a bigger health pool at least haha.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

I've used Shield maybe like in 3 battles total, and it probably wasn't even on successful tries. Why waste time when you could be smashing someone's head with a TV or a forklift.

Because shield is how you don't get 2-shot while waiting for Launch to get its poo poo together.

You do not, however, need to upgrade it as urgently as health and energy, though because it's already so durable. If you have a spare 3-4 points however then this:

exquisite tea posted:

Launch is the best power to max out first but Shield is also great because the second evolution gives you a stagger when you dismiss it, meaning you can run right up to dudes, stun them with rocks and easily kill them with a follow-up shot. You can also stop a surprising amount of things with Shield, basically any attack in the game that isn't a melee.

is extremely good advice.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

In the second half of the game you'll run into a lot of enemies with explosive rockets or big wind-up attacks, in which case it's better to hit shield and get a split-second of invincibility so that you can retaliate faster.

Yeah I've noticed that where Launch has a fairly big windup, Shield activates basically immediately--far faster than the debris animations would indicate. It's not super helpful against armor but against fliers and rocket troops it smooths out the combat flow a bunch.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The first hidden area I found also had mold shooters, and boy I sure cussed a lot when I discovered that by the expedient of dying to something silent and invisible in a cloudy area.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

Every time I die i think about how I should have been using shield while charging thru and picking up orbs. I never loving remember.

Yeah I harp on the mold guys because pretty much every other one of my deaths is: this, exactly.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I kind of wonder if Trench was inspired by Hunter S. Thompson, given his weird meandering style and his suicide.

He is 100% Remedy's "dear, John" letter to Max Payne as they move past the franchise that put them on the map.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This game is really good until it gets to a gauntlet of side bosses which each individually would be the most meme-ably, memorably awful boss in any Fromsoft game.

e; and every single one of them is gated behind a look-at-all-that-juice kind of scripted sequence. and its always some seam in the engine that kills you when you figure out The Gimmick. some floor to an infinite void that decides you've walked over it despite not being drawn as such after evading, something that the game says hit you when you dodge out of it. Oh well it was good while it lasted.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 2, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh my god every side boss is some variation of The Floor is Lava except for Essej who is without contest, the best boss encounter in the game IMO.

e; Even Tomassi Redux is "get up in the rafters, stay there, if you fall get back up ASAP or get shredded from seven directions"

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 2, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

power crystals posted:

Also I guess I'm glad I somehow beat Mold 1 on my first try by actually also just spamming Shatter at it if everybody else hates it that much. drat.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa I actually hate you, lol

I think I found every single way for that fight to go catastrophically poorly.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I just like that a game post-HL2 realized that giving you the Super Gravity Gun in the first hour is the best way to open a game, and to never ever take it away. It took like fifteen years but we finally got there, as developers and consumers.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

Very angry at this anchor boss I got the levitate power and went back to the anchor fight, but since every other game uses jump+jump again to double jump/fly I've ended each attempt by jumping into the pit

This gets so much worse with literally every other boss, lol. There is exactly one that does not use some similar variation on Floor Is Lava and I will reiterate: its the best boss in the game. The one you just beat is at least straightforward: press buttons to not die when one fixed behavior happens. Now imagine more difficult bosses with similar mechanic tests attached. They're surmountable of course, but yikes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I struggled so hard with the side bosses that the actual endgame gauntlets were downright soothing. If you can beat Mold-1, Former Redux and Tomassi Redux after realizing that all of those fights are literally just Floor is Lava then you have enough ability points specced you can ace that gauntlet easily unless you jump off an environmental obstacle forgetting that Levitate needs you to be on the ground first. I was frankly expecting something a little more than what was there.

Essej was the best fight in the game bar none, and it was only slightly aggravating in that it gave a taste of what the game's combat could've been with just a liiiiiiiiiitttle more refinement past "throw something at it" or "don't touch the ground"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I did that and the attacks clipped through the pillar between the floor becoming lava, and the floor becoming lava :suicide:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 7, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Is the Hiss incantation?

Yeah, the one memo about word frequency got me thinking...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lambert posted:

Would love for the next Remedy game to be a return to something like Max Payne - really dislike the supernatural element to this one, too much David Lynch randomness.

Neither Lynch nor this game is random.

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe you should have read or watched anything about the game whatsoever before playing it.

Also during

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"You know what, I wonder what the early missions are like with all the new stuff. Lets use the handy-dandy mission select tool to try this out with the Hotline mission"

*THIS WILL ERASE YOUR PROGRESS*

"Oh, that's okay, all the missions were pretty enjoyable and I can do them a lot faster now I know where to go and what there is to see, I really just want to play with the guns and upgrades in the early game"

[[RESETTING EVERYTHING TO THE FIRST CHECKPOINT IN CENTRAL EXECUTIVE, WHICH IS APPARENTLY SAVED AT THAT POINT'S PROGRESS, WHICH MEANS ITS BACK TO ONLY GRIP AND UNUPGRADED LAUNCH AND I CANNOT REVERT]]

Ah. Well, nevertheless

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'd already pretty thoroughly seen most of the content I was interested in, and I'm definitely replaying this in the future. Just: a big RIP to my Grip with a cumulative +70ish% damage buff and 110% headshot damage buff.

luv 2 onetap everyone smaller than a trooper without using Pierce

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

What is the point of the gun once you get launch? This seems to be much stronger than gun and easier to aim, and it recharges fast enough that by the time you shot a couple bullets it would be ready to use again.

I mean, don't write off the gun entirely--it solves a lot of fussy problems including a few very fussy enemy types as mentioned and even the Grip form (like i was just saying) can do HELLACIOUS damage with the right upgrades. There is a very early encounter that's pretty much entirely about training this point into you. Mostly though, it's just to maintain Murder Momentum while you're waiting for your resonance powers to come back. You switch between the two in order to swat Hiss at a rate of knots and soak up delicious health gubbins to cover incidental damage with some left to spare. That's it, that's the game, just carried forward against more and more insane hordes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Eyespy posted:

I'm loving this game. I've had minimal trouble with Mold-1, Anchor or the Former, but esseJ is handing me my rear end over and over again.

I might have to get the Grip unlimited ammo upgrade and try again.

God what I wouldn't give to play the actual technically satisfying fight a million times instead of the lavafloor fights.

All I can offer for advice is that each thing she does has a counterplay. So: just do that. And don't gently caress it up. And its kind of reminiscent of Tomassi in that sprinting/floating perpendicular to her actually gives your resources a minute to return if you screw up the flow real bad.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah you're pretty close to done. You can pick stuff up postgame if you're fussed about it.

Also the solution to that fight is the same as every other fight: look up, see the bits off the ground? Go there. Tomassi Deux gets a lot more comprehensible when you're plinking charged and the other adds get funneled up a flight of stairs and onto a catwalk.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm holding off on a replay, but I suspect a nonzero part of the fun a second time is that you aren't constantly checking where things are and how to get there (juxtaposed with the fun of exploration the first time)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Javaman98 posted:

I will say some of the bugs are incredibly frustrating because you don't know if it's the game or you.

I 100% solved the cube puzzle in the HRA lab legit, and it just didn't "take", so I fiddled with it some more, unsolved it, then resolved it all confused, and then it triggered. Kind of annoying.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I literally never figured out that HRA Lab puzzle. I think I basically solved it by accident.

The solutions are written down for you except for the one with the arrow, which you gotta think about why that arrow is there. It just: doesn't work. This was the release version though, I haven't played since the new patch smoothed some things out.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Okay I think I cracked the code on Spin: just stack ammo conservation on levitate mods.

It still kinda sucks, but it sucks for a long time, which is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I opened the map while taking the elevator from Parapsychology to the Ritual Division and oh. my. god. that is such a good nod to how elevators can obfuscate player movement in game/map design which makes sense the more you think about it playing the game later--those areas are NOT directly above/below each other!!! why are they able to be reached by each other from an elevator?!?!?!