Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello Goons with Spoons. Chairman Liquid Communism here with the awaited return of Iron Chef Something Awful.

"If you look upon ham and eggs and lust, you have already committed breakfast in your heart." - C.S. Lewis

I allowed this competition to lie fallow, hoping that another would step forward to chair our 69th outing, but it appears that it has fallen to me. So today, we will return to simple beginnings to wash away the salty taste of disappointment. It is time to determine which comes first, the chicken or the egg!

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to prepare at least three dishes forming a cohesive breakfast. Drinks, pastries, meat or egg dishes, or other cultural equivalents are all perfectly valid.

Prizes:
First place, as voted by the goons, will receive a $30 gift certificate from Penzey's or Amazon and a token of my esteem (assuming the winner is comfortable having one shipped to them.)

Second place, as voted by the goons, will receive a $20 gift certificate and a token of my esteem (assuming the winner is comfortable having one shipped to them.)

As always, the submission rules:

Submission Rules :
1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post here with a link.
2. Take pictures! We love to see your steps as well as your final product.
3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
4. Does your recipe have a backstory? Tell us about it!
5. Questions? Ask in the thread or PM your Chairman.
6. The deadline for entries is Midnight Central time, 12 October 2019 (that's the end of the 12th, folks), with judging to follow.

Winner: Scientastic

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there any chance the deadline could be extended by a week or two? I am away for that last week in September, and I’d really like to participate, but some of the ideas I’ve got might take a while to pull together

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Oh man I hate breakfast this is gonna be fun

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

:getin:

One dish shoots to mind immediately, the rest of the spread less so.

e; I've been eyeballing ebay for something I've always wanted and may use this as the justification for its purchase. Got to pay the bills first..

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Is there any chance the deadline could be extended by a week or two? I am away for that last week in September, and I’d really like to participate, but some of the ideas I’ve got might take a while to pull together

Some things are meant to be savored. I can tack a week on, will 5 October suit?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Excellent theme! It's been way too long since I've joined in on one of these, looking forward to cooking some good breakfast

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Liquid Communism posted:

YES! You are a saint

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hmm what's 'dishes' here? Like, if I think of a full English breakfast for example, I'm guessing sausages, bacon and eggs don't count as three dishes per se?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
This is the first ICSA I've been interested in entering in a long time.

feedmegin posted:

Hmm what's 'dishes' here? Like, if I think of a full English breakfast for example, I'm guessing sausages, bacon and eggs don't count as three dishes per se?

Typically you could put each different item on a different plate and bam, plenty of 'dishes'. It's up to you really. The voters are judging you on what you present. I mean poo poo, you could probably do one dish that's so drat amazing it transcends the 3 dish rule so whatever. Just do your best!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Alright it is payday, everything is cleared, and the thing that popped up on ebay Monday is still there. It is a sign.

e; Yeah, going to do one cohesive meal and then a separate "bonus" dish that mostly stands alone but has a decent amount going on.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 30, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Liquid Communism posted:

Can we make it the 6th? Sorry, I know I’m being a pain, but that way I can have friends round to eat breakfast with us: I love using ICSA as an excuse to have people round to eat weird food

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hmmmm

I think it's time to enter one after chairing one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

what about brunch or brinner or just a series of bracks

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Please tell me black coffee or baring that an espresso drink counts as a dish.

Toast is obs fine.

Then I just have to figure out how to hack my lame electric oven to make it act like a combi so I can do the MC mushroom omelette.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Strange ingredients have been ordered, guests have confirmed, plans are afoot!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Please tell me black coffee or baring that an espresso drink counts as a dish.

Drinks certainly count, but you had best be doing something more impressive than stirring some Folger's crystals into hot water if you want to impress.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oooooooohhh poo poo, this is a good theme.

I think I’ve already got like 2 dish ideas. Maybe all 3, depending on my budget and creativity for the last one.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Oooooooohhh poo poo, this is a good theme.

I think I’ve already got like 2 dish ideas. Maybe all 3, depending on my budget and creativity for the last one.

Black. Coffee.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ultimate Mango posted:

Black. Coffee.

NO

BLACK COFFEE IS NASTY AND BORING

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Buy better coffee

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Buy better coffee

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594506

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh i made chorizo egg potato tacos yesterday and forgot about this

maybe i'll make a chorizo egg potato pizza tonight and forget to document it

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I sometimes make pancakes, cover them in hash, a sausage link, a scrambled egg, and syrup, and eat them like a taco. Not my entry though.

I made my "bonus" entry over the weekend for a crowd of 14, doing my actual entry in a couple weeks for a smaller crowd.

WearTheLilac
Mar 5, 2017
Oh, it's breakfast time.

I'm gonna make so many side dishes that you'll puke.

WearTheLilac fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 8, 2019

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Sounds fun. Hmm, what to make...

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I sincerely tried to come up with a plan that doesn't involve fermenting dairy products at home.

I almost succeeded, there's only a little bit!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thread tomorrow probably.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thread up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898823

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nice!

I’m putting together my ingredients now. It’ll be a few days before I can put a thread together. Hopefully nobody will beat me to anything before then.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'll try to put my thread up over the weekend :3:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I feel like ten people are gonna do shakshuka

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like breakfast is hard for an ICSA because usually either you have one complex thing or you have a few simple things. I predict a lot of home-cured bacon as a way to make a simple thing more impressive.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like breakfast is hard for an ICSA because usually either you have one complex thing or you have a few simple things. I predict a lot of home-cured bacon as a way to make a simple thing more impressive.

Yeah, I was thinking what could be done and that’s the first thing that came to mind.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I instantly discounted anything involving bacon on principle, though it was served as a side with 0 fanfare. I do believe I'm going to go back and add 1 more thing to my entry this weekend as I'm doing fermented cinnamon rolls as part of a 9 course unrelated thing Sunday.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm working on an entry. Post up this week probably.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m just going to have fun and cook some breakfast-related stuff. I have neither the time nor inclination to make bacon, but I am still using bacon in one of my dishes...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yeah homemade bacon is one of the things on my list, although I am doing something interesting with it.

My problem is I have to wait for the bacon to finish curing before I do everything else. I’m hoping I can post a thread by sometime early next week.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 19, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

That's why I went with the theme, honestly. It seems simple, but doing really impressive breakfast stuff takes some work. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I mean more like for dinner, you could do a complex main and also complex sides, and people would realistically eat that. For a breakfast you would actually eat, imo it's unusual to have more than one complex dish. You could make a croissant but then you'd really only want maybe a preserve with it. Or shakshuka but then just a side salad. Or if you wanted to have 3 separate things in real life, you could do an egg and bacon and a biscuit, but imo those tend pretty simple for an ICSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just make a decent breakfast, document it and post it. Sod the rules, if you make one dish and it’s mind-blowingly brilliant, I’m sure you’ll get votes.

AND, what is more, if you made a homemade croissant, your own homemade jam and crafted your own homemade coffee from beans you had grown and roasted yourself, that would be an extraordinary level of craftsmanship and skill, and still be a ”simple” breakfast. All of these competitions are what you make of it. Just look at Battle Chili.