Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mrfreeze posted:

Can someone familiar explain who any of these people are and what this past drama is? I know next to nothing about famous streamers/internet celebs.

They're speedrunners who were at Awesome Games Done Quick. There was drama where she, the woman posting the accusation, was accused of cheating on her partner. Her partner made her post a big apology admitting to it. This led to lots of 'funny' jokes about him being a cuck and him (and her) disappearing off the internet for a few years. When they tried to start streaming again people made the jokes, which led to her vanishing again.

She is now saying that she didn't cheat, but that she was raped, and her partner knew but prioritized his own ego over her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

They're speedrunners who were at Awesome Games Done Quick. There was drama where she, the woman posting the accusation, was accused of cheating on her partner. Her partner made her post a big apology admitting to it. This led to lots of 'funny' jokes about him being a cuck and him (and her) disappearing off the internet for a few years. When they tried to start streaming again people made the jokes, which led to her vanishing again.

She is now saying that she didn't cheat, but that she was raped, and her partner knew but prioritized his own ego over her.

sam's behavior in this is absolutely inexcusable either way but from the twitlonger it sounded like she never actually told him what had happened?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Endorph posted:

They were both very conservative Christians at the time, so I'm sure "unimpaired consent" wasn't in his vocabulary. Not an excuse, an explanation: neither of them had ever been taught that when somebody's too drunk to know what they're doing, decent people don't gently caress them. She blamed herself, too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

dmboogie posted:

sam's behavior in this is absolutely inexcusable either way but from the twitlonger it sounded like she never actually told him what had happened?

she says

quote:

Sam showed me the recent movement in the gaming community. The brave people telling their stories of sexual assault and abuse. I am so encouraged by all the people listening and holding abusers accountable. Today I am choosing to speak up.
which sort of implies he knew. I mean it could have just been a general "hey check this out" but with her trying to tell him, and all the trauma she was going through, he must have been aware on some level. Even if he was rationalising it as "still cheating"

he literally abandoned her with a bunch of strangers drinking alcohol though so he doesn't sound like the most caring and empathetic person?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

baka kaba posted:

he literally abandoned her with a bunch of strangers drinking alcohol though so he doesn't sound like the most caring and empathetic person?

100% yeah

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ugh. I definitely laughed about the first stiv pastebin and chatted with it in online groups. It was making fun of the apology itself, just because it's such a ridiculous thing to describe: a public apology to someone for sleeping with their spouse, back when GDQs were tiny and considered an extremely niche con. Not an excuse mind you. Actually having a deeper thought that maybe, an 18 year old getting fed alcohol and having sex was actually assault and not some dumb nerd gathering thing should've registered.

The people that have stalked her online are also just loving abhorrent. There's an entire subreddit that was dedicated to discussing them, and this was the subreddit description until this afternoon

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah i remember when that went down, no one seemed to look at it from deborah's perspective. it was all about the "cucking". sick poo poo

edit: and i dont mean reddit or whatever, i mean THESE forums

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 7, 2020

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The speedrunning community has a huge percentage of absolute trashmonster people. I hope someone behind one of the more infamous (idk what word to use there) cases in the scene coming forward will lead to more folks doing the same

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Hub Cat posted:

Why are people praising Sam??

There are a lot of Sam fans. Ones that spent 6 years supporting him and dunking on Deb/Tolki.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

floofyscorp posted:

I assume this is referring to what's going on with Jennifer Scheurle, who's had to make her profile private and is being absolutely bombarded with an incredible amount of anti-BLM abuse.

Scheurle has had a big hate-following for years on top of that, and was a very outspoken supporter of the activities at the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone here in Seattle. She would've naturally been target #1 for anything of this sort.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

kilus aof posted:

There are a lot of Sam fans. Ones that spent 6 years supporting him and dunking on Deb/Tolki.

Can someone tell me who Sam is so I don't accidentally follow them in the future or something. Like is their handle literally just "Sam"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been watching a lot of Critical Role and discussing it with a friend so I keep thinking "Sam Riegel is a sex pest!? No!"

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Can someone tell me who Sam is so I don't accidentally follow them in the future or something. Like is their handle literally just "Sam"

Showvideogames is his channel name and stuff.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zas posted:

yeah i remember when that went down, no one seemed to look at it from deborah's perspective. it was all about the "cucking". sick poo poo

Yeah ngl goons ate that poo poo up and it looked super deranged even at the time, which is why the speedrunning threads got like 3 different degrees of quarantined off.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mycot posted:

Yeah ngl goons ate that poo poo up and it looked super deranged even at the time, which is why the speedrunning threads got like 3 different degrees of quarantined off.

I vaguely remember that and even lusting after the one girl at the video game thing had to be banned from the thread because goons.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zas posted:

I don't remember the exact message, but I think most people just took the post where she said she cheated on her husband at face value since what actually happened is so utterly absurd it's not something people would have considered.

gently caress both of them though. Legally speaking rape is the more severe crime, but at the same time putting your own ego over the wellbeing of someone you married is practically so far beyond the pale I can't even think of a good way to describe it.

e: both meaning the rapist and husband, I'm not great at picking out all the weird internet pseudonyms.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 8, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's two rapists, fyi, and two other assaulters (ScottJProgran, HyperResonance92)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Horrible poo poo Done Quick

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As someone that followed the GDQ threads and the speedrunning one at the time, I think most people just heard of it thru the grapevine, the framing was "young Mormon couple that 'chose to wait' went to GDQ, girl got drunk, cheated on guy", and there wasn't really any counter-narrative to that or implications that she couldn't consent or whatever. Apparently it was way more hosed up than young people making dumb relationship choices, so welp.

Also the threads didn't get quarantined off, what the gently caress are you talking about? The chat thread was killed for completely different reasons years after the whole debacle.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I think most people in the speedrunnning thread just took what she said, that she cheated, at face value because I guess, well why wouldn't you? It was real gross and the stivitybobo paste in was so insane and gross and people poo poo on him for doing it too. But yikes, this is even more gross.

I wonder if all this would be happening if people weren't quarantined? I feel like people are just burstinn at the seams to do something, anything and I guess finally exposing sex pests is where the energy is going now. I wonder how deep and how many people are gonna be accused though. We still haven't gotten any league of legends ones yet right? I bet there's a ton there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dias posted:

As someone that followed the GDQ threads and the speedrunning one at the time, I think most people just heard of it thru the grapevine, the framing was "young Mormon couple that 'chose to wait' went to GDQ, girl got drunk, cheated on guy", and there wasn't really any counter-narrative to that or implications that she couldn't consent or whatever. Apparently it was way more hosed up than young people making dumb relationship choices, so welp.

Also the threads didn't get quarantined off, what the gently caress are you talking about? The chat thread was killed for completely different reasons years after the whole debacle.

Idk I remember that the cucking spam got so bad that when GDQ came around there needed to be a GDQ chat thread and a GDQ chat thread (normie version)

Nobody involved ever considered the woman to be a person, including the people pointing and laughing.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Well, again, "someone was drunk" is a massive red flag in and of itself and should have been grounds to throw Stiv out the loving window, but any discussion of that at the time was quashed by people who cared more about memes and Sam's feelings.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the premise of them starting off their twitch channel was incredibly bizarre and was met with a lot of reservation as to how everything was going to shake out. they were recently married at a very young age (18/19), both were raised in conservative religious households, and they were streaming 24 hours a day for at least a month (if not longer). like it was impossible to not see the writing on the wall that something weird and/or terrible was going to happen.

the flurry of pastebins, internet whispers, and the subreddit garbage all pointed towards an almost stereotypical rumspringa type scenario (i'm just using this as a shorthand) with everyone who penned a pastebin coming off as either a massive rear end in a top hat or a huge sleaze.

but it's been 6 years and multiple waves of #metoo later, and turns out that the reality of the situation was significantly grosser and more criminal than what was originally depicted.

all of this stuff has been on a low simmer for a while, the method of disseminating this stuff has switched from pastebin to tweet longer and the allegations have become more serious.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Didn't know they were still together and I'm glad she shared her story. I remember being completely confused and just flat out baffled by the decision to even have Stiv run banjo at the next GDQ. Extremely poor decision making skills from the GDQ staff at the time.

I know they've taken steps to become a safer space since then but yeah drat.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Fenarisk posted:

Thank God there doesn't seem to be any sex pests in the pure world of professional Starcraft.

Yet :smith:

This whole thread has been a reminder why I stopped trying to play games online and why I don't seek out new groups for tabletop games (there's a big overlap of thr worst people of each).

There's no way a game that's big in Korea the way SC1 was isn't/wasn't infested with sex pests, the victims just haven't come forward like with the Kpop stuff.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Flannelette posted:

There's no way a game that's big in Korea the way SC1 was isn't/wasn't infested with sex pests, the victims just haven't come forward like with the Kpop stuff.

Boxxer gonna be outed as starcrafta Epstein :( the godfather of it all

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sky is really really sorry you guys he never meant to hurt anyone and you know, Reckful's passing just has him in a bad headspace and it's cool

https://twitter.com/SkyWilliams/status/1280703753071366144

:effort:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

everything about brood war was such a poo poo show you dont need a sex scandal to condemn it. that doesnt mean there weren't though lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sky is really really sorry you guys he never meant to hurt anyone and you know, Reckful's passing just has him in a bad headspace and it's cool

https://twitter.com/SkyWilliams/status/1280703753071366144

:effort:

a meltdown for the ages

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's some bleak stuff. I hope she gets more help for this.

Here's a spreadsheet of the claims and responses for abuse among the speedrunning community, made by a speedrunning redditor.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qD6pVAzaTBTWGRa0UlUg3ZFi0UEMdvB7YWvUnEa9I4M/edit#gid=0

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
some more for the "sky is a piece of poo poo" pile

https://twitter.com/iamaSamuelson/status/1280736333951127554

confirms everything that was said about sky as a person and about how the house was ran, also sky scammed a friend whos mother died from cancer by lying that his father had cancer and needed money for treatment

RottenK fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 8, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RottenK posted:

some more for the "sky is a piece of poo poo" pile

https://twitter.com/iamaSamuelson/status/1280736333951127554

confirms everything that was said about sky as a person and about how the house was ran, also sky scammed a friend whos mother died from cancer by lying that his father had cancer and needed money for treatment

Bonus, the router in his pfp is the one he stole from sky to kill his lovely stream

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/iamaSamuelson/status/1280793981312331779?s=20

lol dummy gave Sky $55k to gamble and fix his dad's dick and his loan contract is in the form of chat logs

Goddamn just a cavalcade of monsters and morons.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's from the spreadsheet linked a few posts above but can we loving talk about how the source speedrun community had a proud open pedo literally with pedo as a nickname take part in their community for YEARS and only just got banned?

here's the tweetlonger

Oopsie whoopsie we didn't ban them after ironically trying to solicit nudes from minors what a fuckywucky we're sorry!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
You know, maybe nintendo was on to something with their friend code stuff given how rife with pedophiles and abusers their game communities seem to be.

This is an awful segue to say that one of the more prolific and popular Fire Emblem guys turned out to be a massive piece of poo poo too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'Turned out' is a hell of a way to describe a guy who made a running joke out of calling a gay character a human being. Dude was always bad. It says a lot that even in the reddit thread about this like 90% of the replies are 'yeah, im not surprised.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 12, 2020

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/Scrubings/status/1280992979092725761

One of Waffle's ex-mods is corroborating Deborah's account.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

https://twitter.com/Scrubings/status/1280992979092725761

One of Waffle's ex-mods is corroborating Deborah's account.

Wow, that's quite the strong corroboration of events. Also I can't believe he was dumb enough to actually admit this to someone not involved like ???

I'd say it's harder to believe it took 6 years and Deb straight out accusing him for this to get any attention at all given some of the info in that twitonger apparently being public for years yet never gaining traction, but sadly that's not very hard to believe at all.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't Sky post about how laughable it was people were accusing him of misconduct like, five years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Acerbatus posted:

Didn't Sky post about how laughable it was people were accusing him of misconduct like, five years ago?

He was probably high on being basically a cult compound leader with effective control over everyone around him, coupled with having enough community clout to keep people scared of speaking up. He probably legit never believed he would be credibly accused, since no one would dare and if they did he could use his fame/community connections to discredit them.