Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidia
Oct 20, 2012
My mom adopted a mutt about 2 years ago. He was a rescue from Romania and he was - and still is - very anxious. No one knows his exact age but when he was adopted we were told he is about 3 years old - which makes him about 5 now. My mother has a house with a big backyard. Usually she takes the dog for long walks, but every now and then she just wants to let him outside and take a dump in the backyard.

And here's the problem: he is weirdly unwilling to take a dump in the backyard. Every time he has to go he stands in front of the door and wants to take a walk. If my mother lets him out into the giant backyard instead, he just stands on the porch staring at her like an idiot. At best he will go and take a leak, but it seems like he would rather suffer than take a poo poo in the backyard. He is housetrained, he never pooped inside the house. He just rather holds it in than using the backyard.

It feels like he sees the yard as an extension of the house and is afraid someone will be mad at him if he poops there. My mother always encourages him when he pees there, but that doesn't seem to help.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to teach him to go in the yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigD7976
Feb 24, 2014

by VideoGames
Put him on the leash and take him to the backyard, praise him heavily if he shits on the leash and treat him. Eventually he'll make the connection.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Was the yard used by another dog at some point? My friends had a dog who wouldn't go in the backyard of their new house because, they surmised, the dog that lived there before used it exclusively. The dog had no problem at it's old house. They were forced to walk the dog until the grass was able to grow back after a bit of tilling and seeding.