Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The lowest magic number for a team this century entering September is 8, by the 2008(?) Angels.

On Thursday the 29th, the Dodgers went to Arizona for a 4 game set with a magic number of 9. Each win in the series would reduce it by 2. On the morning of September 1st, the Dodgers magic number is still 9.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bregor posted:

Start Lux you cowards
called up at least

https://twitter.com/ravinefiends/status/1168226334255931392?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dustin May just got hit in the head with a line drive wtf is going on with this team, feels spooky now

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 1, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:golfclap:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

It tells you how good a player is at getting hits, which are more valuable than walks. For example, a .350/.400/.500 hitter is way better than a .250/.400/.500 hitter
not necessarily, because the first guy has a .150 ISO while the second guy has a .250 ISO. They both get on base at the same rate, but one hits for more power.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

To expand on this, Hitter #1 is not walking very much and has their OBP and SLG tied up heavily in BABIP. If Hitter #2 has a string of luck on batted balls, their numbers can go up significantly, while Hitter #1 is already experiencing a lot of luck on batted balls. That's at least how I'd read those lines.
even if you assume those two lines are “true talent” level, the .350 hitter is more dependent on babip and thus ought to see more volatility in his results

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Joc Pederson is 6 for his last 6, with 5 home runs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

This has been your Cubs FactTM for the day.
big congratulations to Cubs superhero Kyle Schwarber, for slightly out-hitting scrap-heap pick up Max Muncy who is currently on the IL with a wrist injury

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Yankees haven't won the world series in over 10 years.
nice try, but November 4th 2009 was 9 years, 10, months, and 1 day ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Remember last month when Molly Knight dropped this galaxy brain take on twitter and everyone told her how stupid and bootlicking it was??

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/1162799986167300096?s=2

She decided to lean in and write a lovely column about it

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/1169705785909116928?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

I don’t think that thinking about value that way is weird at all, like not one bit. Fangraphs does a trade value article that uses contract details to help set the value and nobody thinks that’s bootlicking or whatever the gently caress

If two players are equally good, literally the same player, and one makes 0 dollars and the other makes 30 million, doesn’t the one making nothing offer more value to the team?
there is a big difference between Fangraphs trade value rankings and saying “maybe we should use salary as a factor in MVP voting”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Molly has replied to two posts in her twitter thread on that column, and both of her replies are “did you even read the article???”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Powerful “I’m one of the most scientific players in MLB” energy here

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/1169735971337752576?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a good post by mcmagic :wow:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

I would love for anyone trying to poo poo on her articles to write enough articles per week (or w/e the pace is) that get enough clicks to keep a roof over their heads. Writing about baseball for 8 months a year must be loving brutal, thankless, and pays poo poo for taking up so much of your time. I mean this is a dumb hill to die on but I'm surprised good baseball writers aren't constantly thinking themselves out of the logical plain of existence more often.
This post confuses me. We aren’t making GBS threads in her whole body of work, just calling out a bad take. This is someone who writes about one column per week for The Athletic (who’s work I’ve certainly enjoyed at times in the past), not a beat writer with a daily midnight deadline. There’s a whole thread in this subforum dedicated to bad sportswriting (maybe I should have posted it there instead) are you saying we shouldn’t ever be critical of bad takes because the author is working hard trying to survive in our capitalist hellscape?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Work public sector
GND jobs guarantee plz

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ned Colletti has been hired as a scout... for the San Jose Sharks

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1170023841814515714?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Dodgers are loving around with their rotation too much, IMO. They're taking pitchers who've been successful as starters this year (Stripling, Hill, Maeda, Dustin May, etc) and using them for 2,3,4 innings at a time, in long relief, or two of them on the same day. They've been doing this since like mid-August. I get that those pitchers probably won't start in the postseason, but jerking guys around between differernt roles for 6 weeks seems like a bad way to prepare for the playoffs. Especially with Ryu wearing down or w/e is wrong with him.
They want to prep those very pitchers for this kind of usage in October, precisely because they won't start then. They also are still basically using a 6 man rotation to get guys extra rest. And considering it's been like 15 games or something since a Dodgers starter lasted 6+ IP, maybe they need the rest? Bigger problem lately has been the offensive inconsistency, and they've got a month to figure it out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's going to own when the Astros get swept in the ALDS
:yeah:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers’ magic number is 1, and they start a 3 game set in Baltimore tonight. Would be very on brand to gently caress this up somehow.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

O.Co is underrated as are piss troughs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We are all equal at the piss trough, truly it is the fixture of the proletariat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Of course you reached your grubby little goon hands in and got that drat bat back

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m glad I caught a Dodgers-Cubs game at Wrigley back in 2013 for the Authentic Experience. Piss troughs, no video board, and the Cubs were bad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers have clinched the NL West for the 7th straight year :toot:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that's a good tweet from Neal

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is a poo poo way to have your season end, drat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good morning to everyone who’s favorite baseball team has clinched.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I think having sportswriters vote on the Hall is bad because they're the most self-righteous, preening people on the planet with a genetic predisposition to hot rear end takes, but idk what a better solution is. Players? A commission?
The writers aren’t perfect but from every example we’ve seen thus far they’re miles better than the players or commissions the HoF has put together.

In general players are terrible judges of talent, player vote/surveys every year demonstrate this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Larry Walker 1997 (MVP season)

HOME: 384/460/709
AWAY: 346/443/733
Larry Walker should be in the HoF but Mike Piazza should have won that MVP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Piazza was not actually atrocious on defense, despite that reputation at the time (which was mostly derived from his poor CS%). In recent years I’ve seen pieces suggesting he was a plus framer.

Edit: 538 article on it from when he was inducted

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/mike-piazza-was-more-than-a-big-bat/amp/

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 13, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

How and why? Larry Walker was a good outfielder and had him beat in every offensive category except OPS+ (185 vs 178).
So Piazza was the better hitter and also played a more premium defensive position

fwiw fangraphs says they both put up 9.1 WAR that year, tho I realize bWAR disagrees

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How many times has a catcher led baseball in OPS+ and wRC+?

Edit: Mauer did it in 2009 while catching 109 games and DHing another 28. Piazza caught 139 games and DH’ed 7 in ‘97. I didn’t notice another example on the yearly OPS+ leaderboard going back to the 50’s.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 13, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah Posey of course. Both Mauer and Posey won the MVP for doing so. Posey caught 114 games, played 1B in 29, and DH’ed in 3.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Just because you play it doesn't mean it's helpful to the team or have it add value to your resume, it can actually hurt :v:

Like, it was a really close MVP race but saying Piazza 100% deserved it over Walker isn't really right. Walker was absolutely deserving of that award.

This is no Pujols/Howard situation :D
I’m of the opinion that Piazza was a plus defender and that Walker’s edge in bWAR (which did not even exist at the time of the voting) is meaningless. They were both great seasons and i agree it’s not a travesty, but Piazza’s ‘97 was maybe the greatest Catcher season ever. It’s the highest by bWAR ironically, and 3rd by fWAR (‘12 Posey, ‘72 Bench). It was by a healthy margin the highest by OPS+ (20 points) and wRC+ (13 points).

12 year old Bawfuls wants that Piazza MVP damnit :argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

It's Ryan Spilborghs so it makes some sense at least

I'm surprised they got that much run in general on the predictions, but I'm not super following the NL these days and I don't remember what the buzz was in the preseason anyway.
The Dodgers have now won the NLW 7 straight years and won the NL Pennant the last two years, so imo seems very reasonable that ~1/3rd of writers would pick Not The Dodgers to win the NLW.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Yeah apparently the Pirates wanted Dustin May and drew a line in the sand over his inclusion in a trade, and LA balked.
They wanted Lux + one of May/Smith/Rios

Lux and May and Smith are on the Dodgers right now and there’s a good chance all three make the postseason roster, so you can see why that trade didn’t happen.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Senf posted:

Read this, baseball people:

https://twitter.com/grantbrisbee/status/1174033248336244736?s=21

I’ll be at the Coliseum tonight and many other weeknights until the team has their new ballpark. Games there really do own, and every baseball fan should experience one at least once.
After seeing one game at O.Co. for the first time last year, I have to agree the place is seriously underrated.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

The first year of that three consecutive 100 loss seasons was the Astros first 100 loss season ever
yeah but the Astros didn’t exist during the early days of baseball, when parity was far off dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

Jansen has turned into a pumpkin as well. 1/4 in his last four save opportunities.
my favorite part about this is all the Dodger fans screaming on twitter etc that the Dodgers can’t win with Jansen being lovely, as if the Astros and Red Sox closers didn’t both suffer exactly the same fate in 2017 & 2018 respectively.