Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Hello, can someone answer these questions?

1. Why Josh Reddick is an everyday player?
2. Statistically, should Reddick be an everyday player?
3. Firing Joe Maddon seems dumb, but I don't watch enough Cubs games to offer an informed opinion on whether he has managed the Cubs well or not. Is this a bad decision by dumb owners, or is Maddon/Theo/Ricketts just a thing that needs to end?
4. Gabe Kapler, should, in my opinion, be tossed out like Jazz by Uncle Phil. To be fair, the Phillies were destroyed by injuries and a lack of tools (namely, reliable bullpen arms and starting pitching). Still, watching the Phillies every day, you could see him mismanage the bullpen, misplay defensive assignments, and (appear to) ignore statistical guidance. Am I missing good things Kapler did?
5. Once Ben Zobrist disappears, who becomes the best swiss army knife in the majors?
6. How the hell did the Yankees do this?

Thanks, it's been a great season of horrible disappointment.

(edit: I know #3 is discussed a lot in this thread, and recently very well just above this post, but just curious if it's more a chemistry thing or a performance thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

All you Braves haters should be informed that thIs Braves team is cool and fun

I’m in my 40s and am tired of Atlanta. I need them to go back to being punching bags for a decade or so. And no more new stadiums!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

I kind of wonder if the reason racism against natives is the acceptable kind for so many people is because they've never met one

It’s just ignorance. You’d be surprised how many people think the “Redskins” name honors Native Americans.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bewbies posted:

It is unbelievable to me how emotionally invested people get in the names and mascots and whatnot of their sports teams.

Like, my wife's high school's mascot was The Indians. A few years ago there was a discussion about whether or not this name should be changed. I took the opportunity to join their facebook page in order to read the hilarity. People were no poo poo saying things like "IF I'M NOT AN INDIAN THAN WHAT AM I" and "MY KIDS ARE GOING TO BE INDIANS JUST LIKE I WAS OR ELSE"

what the gently caress is that? who could possibly care that much about what your former high schools mascot is

also believe it or not i was banned from their facebook page after a fairly short time

A small part of it might be unfortunate tattoo choices.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Things that would’ve been a better catcher than Andrew Knapp this year:

- a scarecrow
- Joe West’s groin
- one of those old clown punching bags
- a cardboard Frank Thomas ad for Nugenix
- a skeeball ramp

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

I meant before last year you weiner!

They made the playoffs 11 times since 2000, including this year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Squall posted:

Make the third-place wild card teams in each league play each other in the World Series of not being good enough.

Counter: Make the two worst teams play a single game and they all have to wear sad clown makeup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah but what I said was haven't won a playoff series. Idk what point you're trying to make but the Braves haven't been relevant for a long time, which is what I also said.

They're a competitive franchise who haven't experienced the crushing depths of failure like, say, half of baseball has in the last 20 years.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Braves_seasons#Record_by_decade

You can see their win percentage by decade (last time they lost 100 games was 1988! 88!) - they've been winners overall each decade since the 80s, and even then, they weren't so bad they got a movie about their historic failure.

The Braves are one of the teams that, in recent history, has done well and generally been successful.

I dig that you love the team, though.