Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
UAH hockey has a long, storied history of getting almost-cancelled by circumstances outside their control:

- The NCAA killing men's Division II
- The demise of the CHA
- A lovely new university president installed by the Alabama system to siphon money from any programs that weren't Alabama-Tuscaloosa football
- Now the WCHA and COVID-19

I'm not surprised they've weathered another one. There are enough die-hard fans in Huntsville that they can probably fundraise indefinitely.

On top of that, several of the players from the 90's and 00's stayed in the city after school. Many of them were business and finance majors, and some own successful businesses now. One made a six-figure donation for next season.

I miss going to games. Maybe there will be some next year. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Troy Queef posted:

i think UAH hockey was targeted first for the chop by the UA system president, it just didn't get as much attention as UAB football's demise did because of, y'know, football and Alabama and all that
It was. The excuse they gave was budgetary, so the Huntsville hockey community raised something like 1.5 million dollars and said "here's next season's budget, bitches". There wasn't another good reason to cancel the program, and the whole debacle caused the university and the UA system to get some (probably unexpected) awful press.

On top of that, there were other issues with the new UAH president that I don't really remember. As I recall, he was either fired or "resigned" quite swiftly, which brought the end of the "let's quietly kill hockey" move. At least for the moment.