Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

What kind of mental malfunction do you have when you act like this? Why not just let the other car pass? Why speed up to try and prevent him overtaking you? What's your loving problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You cure that sort of behavior by letting the kid eat some unsweetened baking chocolate.

My kids love it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hm, no vapor barrier under the insulation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ElGroucho posted:

boat people truly are the dumbest assholes on earth

I think it depends on the type of boat. A guy with a rowing boat going fishing is probably not like these people.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Azhais posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8783449/Queen-furious-staff-revolt-Sandringham-Christmas-plans.html

Don't you hate it when you have to spend Christmas away from your favorite palace because those damned peasants refuse to isolate themselves from their families for a month?

I loving hope she gets covid.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Don't people have any understanding of ice, how to judge it and how to act safely on frozen lakes? Like I saw at once that the ice looked weak as gently caress and knew where it was headed. Why are they even out there when it's like that, do they simply just don't understand?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Agrinja posted:

What is powdered charcoal even for?

You can use it to make black powder.

You can also use it to case harden metal by mixing with water and embedding the soft steel part in it and tossing it in a furnace.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

doctorfrog posted:

Actually true? This guys uses the pollen as flour: https://www.therusticelk.com/how-to-eat-cattails/

Native to North america? Those things grow here (Finland) near water, I remember we used to play with them as kids, beat them against rocks and stuff and it'd make explosions of fluff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

WTH, magpies are scaredy cats here, they run away at once, never seen one attack anything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah that reminds they started making steel without coal in sweden now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

freeedr posted:

I bought my wife a phone for Christmas and today the new phone spontaneously activated sitting in my closet. She is away at work and her phone now doesn’t work. I went back to the carrier and told them they made a mistake and they said they can’t do anything for me because the SIM card she has is now burned and can never be used again so they have no way to revert it, but they said I can just take her a new SIM card. I told them she is currently away for work and I can’t do that. So I guess Christmas surprise ruined because she will definitely figure it out and she has a stay away from home and a long drive home in the ice without a cell phone because she isn’t near one of the carrier’s locations.

Why do you have to do anything with a carrier when getting a new phone? Don't you just take the old card out of the old phone and put it in the new?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Neurophonic posted:

For a burglary? In the UK, the cops came four days after I reported my last break in.

It's the way you say "your last", as if it's not your first one, and the next one is inevitable. It's a UK impression I have gotten, it seems small crimes, thft, burglaries and the like are really common for some reason.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I read that a person with a felony conviction can't hold his position in WV, so hopefully he's blown his career away.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Son of Rodney posted:

I think I'm mixing up US organic food definition with the EU "bio" food we produce.

I am reminded that I read somewhere that conventionally grown produce in Finland had less pesticides found on it than eco-labeled produce from southern europe. That's pretty wild, also why I don't give much weigh to the eco label at all.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Schad's on the climate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

coolusername posted:

Summary misses some of the best highlights like: that she admitted to not paying any taxes when asked about her work in a tweet because she works in USD and why would she pay Indonesian taxes? Followed by like 25 screencaps of people sending that to immigration. Just a whole lot of tone deaf American idiocy.

Western idiocy, europe is full to the brim of people like that too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Empty Sandwich posted:

shipping through the US Postal Service used to be dirt cheap, but it's gotten steadily more expensive. they're still by far the best shipping option we have, but I keep having to raise my pottery shipping prices to other countries.

Shipping through USPS got so expensive overnight around 2012 that since then I have only bought maybe 5-6 items total from the US. I often go on ebay and often I find a item I want from america but the shipping is like 50-100 dollars or something crazy like that even on tiny stuff. And then they ruined it even further with their global shipping program, before I had a good chance of slipping through customs, so why would I want to pre-pay it...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't know what Black Mirror is but I'm thinking of Beta level simulations in Revelation Space.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jeza posted:

me: so dad, how's the grave keeping you?
dad: help me son. it's so cold in the machine. help. help. help. help.
me: haha this is wild

And then you're inside. Inside the machine. You can feel it touching you. Its wires and metal but it touches you. And it knows every secret. Every shame. Every hate. Every... love. It knows, and it tortures you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Clitch posted:

Damnit, SHODAD!

1980s kids show Captain Power actually

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAA9rKZc-U&t=903s

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 24, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

James Woods posted:

Nearly fifteen years as a mechanic and I've never had the balls to try this but I've seen it done by my more redneck coworkers. It's is meant to be a last ditch solution for truckers and off roaders that get stranded after throwing a tire bead. Do do this in your driveway when a tire shop will mount and balance a tire for $20 is a combination of lazy and cheap in lieu of safety.

If you buy the tires from the tire shop they include the mounting and balancing in the tire price. I once thought I could buy cheaper tires online, but having to have someone else mount and balance them (and take the old tires of my hands) ended up costing more. So now I am not selfish and dumb and just buy from my local mechanic so they can live too, and it's cheaper and easier.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cage posted:

You can still do this, you just didn't find a good enough deal. Tireshops jack up prices like crazy, as long as you can find the set of tires for more than ~$80 cheaper online (you can) it'll be worth it.

I dunno I really went for the cheapest tires I could find online at the time. Just wasn't worth the hassle IMO, also had to haul the old tires and news ones along. So I just suppot my local mechanic, it's a small shop in the sticks which I figure is more worthy of support than some big chain somewhere.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Same as with wood, gotta dry it first.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Roads are frozen over and you don't have much experience driving in such conditions. Do you:

A) slow down.

B) drive like you would any other day.

C) See a huge pileup of vehicles in the far distance and do nothing to slow down as you approach them at highway speeds.

D) Was never taught to drive properly, basically handed a drivers license at age 16 so anything can loving happen.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm definitely not going to argue the standard of driving isn't miles better in the UK and the driving test rightly much more stringent than the absolute joke of a process in the States, but I don't think the theory test actively translates to real world experience on UK roads and the only way people really learn about how terrifying ice is is by actually skidding on it

mobby_6kl posted:

This is the sort of thing that needs experience to get used to, no amount of theory will prepare you for the situation when your brakes suddenly don't do poo poo. Pilots get drilled on engine failure, stall recovery and other emergency situations for that reason, but the driving training and tests mostly boil down to following the signs correctly.

People are actually taught that here, going on an icy track (they make it icy if weather doesn't cooperate) and skidding and learning how to correct for it.

Also a moose-test, you drive on a track in the dark and suddenly a fake moose outta loving nowhere. It will hit the car if you don't swerve. It's a good test of what you will do when operating on instinct. For some reason I swerved the wrong way. Stuff happens in situaitons like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Empty Sandwich posted:

these seems to be the rare tech example that's gone backwards... I feel as though a bunch of people had them in the early 80s, but not now. (no idea if this is actually true.)

I got one of these

I think the advantage of one of these is that if I bought it in the early 80s, I'd still have it, it'd still work. The electrical one has probably broken by now.

Now my grandmother had one of these mounted to the wall, she's dead now and we sold her house, but the can opener might still be there working. I am not sure one of these modern repros are even half as durable though.

An electrical can opener really sounds like it's something that fits in Reagans america though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Can opener talk got me interested in one of those openers like grandma had, but I don't like the plastic kind. But I found this one:
https://kk.org/cooltools/swing-a-way-can-opener/

Metal and even folds away. Looks like something one could cleverly put somewhere so it's hidden when not in use, like inside of a cabinet door, same door where you keep the cans for instance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Vindolanda posted:

These work fine, although I prefer a Swiss army knife if I’m camping because the exposed blade on the one you show can stab you through a pocket - or puncture things in your bag. The best version of that type I’ve found is the Japanese Ganji opener.

It’s bigger, but that makes it easier to use if you’ve got cold hands or some kind of mobility or grip issues, and I think there are versions that are even larger which would help with arthritis. The only problem is that it’s extremely satisfying to use, so you might end up opening every tin in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TV6A7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_3XS8K7TSR9PG1T3D67SX

The japanese foreigner opener? Sounds pretty threatening

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Quick! Make sure the guy who kicked the ball is okay!

ok phew

All I see is some girl getting hit by a ball, judging by your reactions she must be some kind of piece of poo poo?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't think I've laughed this hard in years, literally crying here and having to dry my eyes with a paper towel.

I dunno why surströmming is so funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiGmcQFiDY

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

RagnarokZ posted:

The only good thing about Piers Morgan is the one time Jeremy Clarkson punched him in the face.

Starting to look like it's the only good thing about Clarkson too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sekenr posted:

Jesus gently caress, Americans and their claims to 1600 ancestry, is this how it is now? When I was in USA everyone was 1/8 Cherokee

I'm pretty sure my ancestry goes back over 3.5 billion years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When I was a kid I developed a deathly fear of escalators for a while. I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe it was the jaw-like meshing of the steps as cycled through. Because of me my family had to learn where the elevators were in every store in the mall.

I grew out of it, but for a year or two I just refused to ride the drat things.

When I was a kid I thought escalators where time machines, and I developed a fear of the 1300s. Thanks Sunes Jul.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I do prefer hydronic heating. And you know I miss having radiators, only got floor heating now. Radiators are so useful to dry kids clothes on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Trabant posted:

Leslie Nope!

So it wasn't just me who thought that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that's an instant hospital visit.

Good thinking, they probably have a morgue.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

AFewBricksShy posted:

Around 3, I got a weird cramp in my right ribs. By 6 I couldn't stand the pain and ended up going to the ER. Turns out my gallbladder decided that after 8 hours of cooking the reward would be to get clogged or some poo poo.
I flipped it and sliced it just to see if it turned out right while I was doubled over in pain, I'll be goddamned if I wasn't going to see at least if it looked right.

My father in law said it was really good.

gently caress.

Hope they take that fucker out, I suffered mine for years and it damaged my pancreas so I got diabetes before they removed it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I once had to unclog a shower drain and I used basically the same technique with the shop vac from the shed. Only problem was that when I turned it on I potato cannoned a family of mice out of the nozzle and across the room.

Reminds me of what my dad said happened this weekend. He'd woken up because of a weird noise and found a live bird (White wagtail) in the fireplace, it had gotten down through the chimney and into the heater, there it sat behind glass like it was a caged bird.

He opened the front door and then the door to the fireplace hoping the bird would leave but it aimed for the window, hit it and shat on the flowers, then he grabbed it and threw it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I love a good macaroni casserole i tell you what