Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know who this jerry dude is but that's a photo that can get you fired? That's just a "I've eaten too much Sunday Roast but I aint done yet" move

It does indeed get you fired if you're the leader of a super right wing, super conservative, evangelical christian college and the woman isn't your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

am I understanding correctly that NFTs are a way of wasting vast amounts of energy to prevent people copying jpgs?

No, actually! See, an NFT is just a way of marking something as the original or, since you can have more than one, "official." You can still copy things. It's sort of similar to an art print, only a copied JPG is identical to the original inn every functional way.

So in other words, NFTs are a way of wasting vast amounts of energy to say that those copied JPGs aren't the original.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

This makes no sense. Digital files can be identical to where there is absolutely no difference between them and can't be told apart. Even with some kind of fancy crypto watermark you can still copy the image with that watermark intact and have it be impossible to tell which existed first.

Also, how does one "steal" an NFT? What relation does the original tweeter have to these NFT's? How does one fraudulently buy 10 000 worth of them? What purpose would that theft serve? Is there a black market where stolen NFT can be bought and sold?

Still no clue what is going on in that tweet thread

No you pretty much get it.

The one minor detail is that the NFT isn't part of the image itself, it's a separate token. If you want to keep the print analogy, it's like a little certificate saying "MY jpg counts!"

It's exactly as loving stupid as it sounds.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

empty sea posted:

That was about 20 years ago and I'm still sort of spoiling for a good goose fight. I think it would cathartic in a weird way.

"Not only can I fight a goose, I HAVE fought a goose and want to fight one again!" is a weird twist on the usual goon standby of "Wimps. I can fight a goose." that always follows any video or story of people getting chased by geese, but you know what? I'm here for it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

I was hiking in Yosemite with my cousin and at one point he asked me to come with him to the edge of a cliff with a slope like that to look over and see how cool it was. I adamantly refused, not because I thought he was trying to murder-suicide us, but because I could see this EXACT thing happening. He called me a pussy and checked it out himself with no problems. I still believe I made the right choice. All it takes is one tiny slip....

Check out the book "Death in Yosemite," which is about exactly what it sounds like. They have a whole chapter on this. And another one on the same thing happening, but upstream of waterfalls.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

When we were there him and his friend convinced me to go up the waterfall trail and gently caress that noise. A line of people going up and one going down stone steps with algae on them and water actively running over them with no railing on one side with a steep drop into rapids. Farter up it gets even more cramped. There were signs everywhere saying people die on this trail every year and yet loving families with small children were doing this. All I did was stare at the steps while muttering an incomprehensible and unending stream of curses trying to make sure I don't slip.

This was a few years ago and coincided with an outbreak of loving plague squirrels with signs everywhere saying not to touch. People were still trying to pet obviously sick squirrels with missing patches of hair.

That place is beautiful but really loving dangerous.

From what I read, staying on the trail is still safer than the vast majority of fatalities, many of whom went directly to the edge, wading in the shallows, or swimming.

Plagues squirrels were not mentioned, however.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Well that clear it up, thanks. As an aside I don't think trying to emphasize with people necessarily means you need to excuse their bad behaviour. I'm not excusing for anything. :confused:

Right, empathy for the billionaire transphobe, not for trans people.

edit: for non-idiots, have one of my favorite harmless schad videos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-71bR3Uj0

Log082 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 20, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Schaden on anyone who has ever attempted a PhD

https://i.imgur.com/SQFS6Q6.mp4

I've got some!

"It's a holiday, so we'll all be working."

"When I'm busy, I just don't eat, because I find that I get really tired and can't focus with a full stomach."

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

why the hell would you wear glasses on a ride like that

as a glasses wearer the answer is so that you can loving see

but as other people have pointed out, yeah, get the loving straps.

Personal schad: I had a similar experience as a kid where I didn't know a banana boat was a fast and bouncy instead of a slow, leisurely thing and made the very dumb decision to wear my glasses. I don't' think I made it 30 seconds before taking a header into the water and losing them immediately. I spent the rest of that vacation basically unable to see anything more than 3 inches from my face until my family finally got home so I could get new glasses. I remember sticking close on the way home as we went through Atlanta because I knew if I got separated I was never, ever going to find my family again.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Memento posted:

there are no alligators in Australia

also alligators don't get that big

also that is a crocodile named Tripod from the Top End Safari Camp

Also the snout's pointier. Easiest way to tell.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Good god I love big cats being doofuses in the exact same way as small cats.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Martman posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/onur6e/racist_streamer_gets_pepper_sprayed/

Schad on the cameraman, audio required, 1 minute 31 seconds, annoying streamer bothers old man by repeatedly asking "what do you think of the 'negras'" and the old dude responds perfectly

e: is there a better way to link reddit videos? should I download it and put it somewhere else?

e2: oh weird... the sound didn't work when I linked it this way wtf, guess I'll just link the reddit thread for now but oops

if you were going to skip this because of the reddit link, don't. Definitely do not.

"Understand THAT?"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't understand what happened here at all. It just looks like a guy ride a bike next to a train and nothing happened

they're mad because they wanted a picture of the train without the guy

honestly, it is a nice looking train. I like the retro style. we should make more trains with retro styles.

those train nerds are still losers though

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

A perfect henka

Memento posted:

he'll never make Yokozuna with that dishonorable behaviour

drat it

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah but after the initial rush wipes out the supplies they'll start harvesting it from fish tanks.

eating bobbit worms to own the libs

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mood.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Humphreys posted:

I like to imagine the moment when he was doing flight theory hunched over a textbook, flips the page entitled 'Tail Rotor' and smashing poo poo yelling 'HUMPHREYSSSSS YOU hosed ME FOR THE LAST TIME!'
He still believes my Ipex computer could read Amiga floppies natively though hehehe

Have you considered the possibility that he hasn't realized yet and as a result is a future candidate for this thread?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

If you're agressively taunting someone and their reaction is "lean against the wall and watch" you probably don't want to escalate to violence. They know something you don't.

There are worse signs, but they all involve bystanders telling the other person not to do it and calling them "Champ."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbbGzuowIE

edit: beaten because I found the video

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Why is it that every funny "person getting hosed up by a goose" video always has that goon who has to post about how they'd totally gently caress a goose up?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

*sees a goose charging me*

*takes off Cover Shorts to reveal Fighting Shorts*

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Well, that sure took a turn.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

greazeball posted:

Plus they've now committed the most unforgivable of crimes: messing with another man's vehicle!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah now imagine this but you had to pay 10 grand a year to apple or Facebook to "own" one of the 299 mountain slots that exist in the "metaverse".

This is why the entire thing is bunk. It's attempting to force artificial scarcity into an otherwise limitless system in order to make money for people who are already rich. This is why the metaverse sucks rear end.

I think you're confusing the Meta metaverse with the NFT metaverse, which is not the same thing despite using the same names. They do have the similarity that both are remarkably stupid, however.

VR is cool for games and some other stuff like training applications but it's never going to replace offices or whatever, and Meta's social implementation is way, way behind plenty of other existing VR spaces.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

blight rhino posted:

possible schade, if you buy into it

its kinda interesting

I get why they didn't list Ted Cruz, there isn't room to put all of them next to his name at once.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

that is some cartoon physics in real life and it's killing me

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

No, look, "I put the bottle to my head and pulled the trigger," is a metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

just rushing in to give my thoughts on an empty quote from april