Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

bell jar posted:

Pulling the brake lever is the last thing I'd think of during an emergency. I'd only really have enough time to slam on the brake pedal and probably shout "FUC-"

I basically forget its there until I'm parked, and even then that's just muscle memory

I'm like 10 pages back in the thread but I had to pull the e-brake once. My parents, in their infinite and retarded wisdom, bought me a used car with a sticky gas pedal. Which meant that if I pushed on the gas pedal it would resist, then go down eventually and 3/4ths of the time stick and stay where I pushed it. I learned to drive by pushing it down a little, coasting and the pushing again.

One morning before 8 am class I was super pissed and super tired and just jammed that gas pedal down hard because it wouldn't go down at all at first. Our driveway was super long and had lots of bumpy gravel, the usual rural driveway. We also had a metal gate at the end. The there was the road and a severe drop off into the trees and brush afterwards.

So I hit the gas, my car roared forwards as gravel was flying and SURPRISE! the gas pedal was stuck down. I was barreling down our gravel driveway towards the gate and the drop off after the road. I stood on the brake. Nothing but my car fishtailing. I pulled the e-brake...nothing. I shifted into park...nothing. I had to yank the key out of the ignition before the fucker would stop.

I stopped about 6 inches from the gate. The flimsy-rear end aluminium gate that wouldn't have stopped me from flying across the road into the trees and pure air.

I have never forgot that morning. Also the e-brake did nothing. Just yank the key out if you really need to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Kenning posted:

FYI "part Cherokee" almost always means "part black but the family is too racist to come to terms with it."

I'm supposedly part Apache on my grandmas side :smug:

Apache lands are nowhere near where my great grandparents settled

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Running from your giant cat seems like a bad move, cause it might make it forget it likes you. I know there's a clearly telegraphed point when I play with my cat where he gets too excited and will actually gently caress up my hand/arm if I don't stop.

I thought that's why he turns and stops and stays totally still until the cat releases? They're playing but he's clearly not trying to play too rough because he stops it real quick. Like when you rub your cat's belly until it gets the real crazy eyes and you stop.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Geese poo poo all over golf courses so can they really be that bad?

When I was about 14 my dad decided to get a bunch of geese, chicken, guinea and duck chicks from the tractor supply. The ducks grew up and flew away, though they returned once a year for about 2 years and that was the coolest because they brought their wild mates with them. The chickens got eaten by coyotes one by one and the guinea hens he eventually shot because he was tired of them being such good guard birds? I dunno, they made a lot of noise when someone came into the yard and I guess that was irritating. Otherwise they were really not in our way at all.

The geese grew up and were just fuckers, but also incredibly good guard animals because anything that came into the yard they would start honking their heads off. I didn't wear shorts the entire time we had them because they would make a beeline for my legs and grab my jeans with their beaks and just twist and jerk violently while hitting me with their wings. It was scary the first time or two but they never actually hurt me so I got over it quickly.

So take my expert opinion that unless you're wearing shorts or at like eye level with them, geese are pretty easy to fight with no risk to yourself. A good kick or two will make them back off or you can grab them by the neck and hold them away from you. I used to have to round them up every night and I'd chase them down, grab their necks and then fold their wings in and carry them to the hutch so they wouldn't get ate.

That was about 20 years ago and I'm still sort of spoiling for a good goose fight. I think it would cathartic in a weird way.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Having zero driving experience and even less with a trailer hitch - is backing a boat into the water really that hard to pull off, or are there just a lot people that make it seem harder than it is?

When I was around 20 yrs old I used to drive a tractor with a bushhog on the back and I expect it's basically the same. You have to line it up and it's counter intuitive how to turn it so I recommend you go slowly. I once took out a few wooden fence posts because I was too close but I could cut a field like nobody's business.

That said, I spent like 20 minutes lining up the tractor just to get it right when I wanted to switch from bushhog to the round bale spears and then like a loudly cursing 15 mins each to seat those roundbales perfectly so they wouldn't fall off. I would get a roundbale on the front and then lose it when I seated one on the back alll the time.

In hindsight I am shocked I was never hit by a car driving down our long, country road to the main gate on my tractor. It was a blind curve, then a long straight road and I would enter about 1/4 of the way into the long road. The school bus I used to ride took it at 60 mph.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Ror posted:

Slow and steady is for suckers, he would have made it if he just floored it up the hill.

I used to take roundbales around on the farm I worked on and my tractor's front tires would lift off the ground a bit on an incline all the time. I never had it tip because I was careful as gently caress. No one would've come for me for hours, tbh. I had to be careful.

This guy should've immediately let off and let the whole thing drift down to a more manageable position, then took the incline at an angle. Or just floor it and watch most of the load fall off. You can go a bit with the front off the dirt but eventually you'll lose and badly. That load looks pretty well strapped, I would've taken the long and slow incline at an angle that didn't have my tires leaving the loving earth.

I think I invented new curses for each time I was trying to haul a roundbale on the front and back and one would fall off. Or the front wheels would come entirely off the ground.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

This made me nauseous, I've seen horses so tangled in barb wire that 6-7 inches of their bones were exposed. This guy was loving lucky.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Donkey posted:

Speaking of that, if anyone doesn't want to see a whole necrotic leg they shouldn't read through this snake's Wikipedia page.

I looked. And I'm still horrified, like that is a leg that should not be. If that was my leg I'd be hosed up just from having that thing swinging around still attached to me. WHY DIDN'T THEY CUT IT OFF BEFORE IT LOOKED LIKE THAT??

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How did Romeo Rose turn into a house?!?

And to think, I had forgotten about Romeo Rose for years this time. drat you, drat you to hell.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

You don't fight a goose by retreating, they'll only sense weakness and attack harder. You really have to commit. Don't be shy, run in and grab them by their skinny neck and show them who's boss.

They'll still try to fight you, but they're caught now. And that's all you need to do the final move of holding them by the neck, grabbing and tucking their wings in and picking them up to totally dominate them.

They won't learn. Geese don't learn because they are dumb fucks and they'll keeping attacking you. But you'll always know you can gently caress them up.

I'll fight every goose I see. It's not even hard.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Masculinity is one of the single most fragile things in existence, and very easily threatened.

In my case it's because I had geese growing up and used to have to catch them to put them up in their hutch overnight so I got really good at cornering them and snatching them up before they could bite or wing slap me too much. They tried, every time, but alas the true foe of geese is thick denim jeans and being too tall for them to actually hit much and so they were at my mercy.

I didn't wear shorts outside the entire time I had geese. They don't just bite, they grab and twist and slap you violently with their wings. I never actually hurt them, we just had a little tussle every night because geese hate everyone and everything.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

DandyLion posted:

doubt it.

I'm an engineer, and it would make more sense to build personal coffin/capsules and use them as hypersleep chambers that we send drugged/sedated folks in through an already created network of tunnels (some call them caves) underground in the Earth to their destination, whereupon they are awoken peacefully and refreshed, thriving, ready for their day at their destinations. Maybe linking those together in some long caterpillar like chain is a reasonable possibility too, yeah..

You had me at hypersleep and drugged/sedated. What I wouldn't give to roll out of bed into a personal coffin and end up at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know people who own more than one Funko Pop, and I have to put effort into not thinking less of them.

Same. I just...don't get how anyone would want a Funko Pop. It's an incredibly stupid and ugly looking toy of a fandom and you can't even do anything with it except dust the casings. Maybe if they weren't so aggressively stupid and ugly I wouldn't care so much but my god, it's just BIG HEAD, DUMB FACE, TINY BODY WITH A COSTUME DOLL.

I don't get it. They're ugly and dumb. I wouldn't even want one if someone gave it to me.