Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

SlipUp posted:

Former Nazi guard, 93, to stand trial in Germany over thousands of camp murders

Maybe I am the rear end in a top hat but the dude was a juvenile holding a rifle in the days were they were conscripting kids at the barrel of the gun. I thought we were more progressive w/r/t child soldiers.

He was in his late teens when he joined the SS (17-18), so not as innocent as you seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

SlipUp posted:

But the Hitler youth, which the ss drew from, was not, no? As an organization they were responsible for indoctrination and brainwashing youth as young as 12.

For reference:
Military use of children in World War II - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children_in_World_War_II

Do you know what juvenile is?

Anywho, not going to derail any longer. Forgive me for thinking that trying a 93 year old in juvenile court is a ridiculous waste of everyone's time. If you disagree that he was a juvenile, take it up with the german government lol.

They are dealing with it in the appropriate manner, given the circumstances. He would need to be held accountable for his actions, which is just as true of 17 year olds as it is of 27 year olds, however. Today, he would probably be best served by an intervention program and psychotherapy; whether that would direct him toward a more positive outcome than otherwise would depend on him and on the creation of a support network independent of the peers who'd pressure him to keep engaging in delinquent activity. Not that that's relevant in this case, since he's 93 and not still 17.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm assuming old SS guard must be accused of doing something above and beyond typical soldiery, yeah? Like it's not normal to prosecute individual soldiers just for having been there. He must be accused of having committed some specific crime(s), not just "was on guard duty at the camp".

"Simply following orders" has not ever been a credible defense.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Takes No Damage posted:

A hunter was gored by the deer he thought he shot and killed

Talk poo poo get hit. Hunting for sport in TYOOL 2019 must be the most rear end in a top hat hobby out there behind bullfighting, always enjoy seeing the playing field leveled in both cases.

We humans killed the apex predators that would otherwise be keeping deer populations under control. Hunting deer is, therefore, a component of habitat conservation, since without sustained, selective predation, deer would destroy their habitats entirely and then die of starvation. Many hunters contribute their kills to local organizations to help provide food for the poor, if they don't process the deer for their own use. Are there people who do it for sport? Sure. But the general practice is habitat conservation. You want to talk about sport-hunting, look at the fuckers hunting rare animals, not hooved vermin in the northeastern US.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Ohio decides it no longer wants to be competitive in education.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/mimmymum/status/1196873259192659969

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Also the reason it's unpainted is because Tesla's Fremont factory paint shop's been shuttered due to as-yet-unresolved Clean Air Act violations. Nineteen of 'em.

tardwrangler posted:

it looks like it was carved out of soap by a blind child

gently caress you.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1197979317885636609

Shame it didn't drop lower.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Almost seems like he didn't need that scooter.

I'm normally not a mean person, but fat people who use scooters just because they're fat piss me off. If they don't walk, they will get fatter and need a more powerful scooter.

Exercise does absolutely nothing to cause weight loss, nor can it burn enough calories to prevent weight gain.

Dieting doesn't work either, before you suggest that.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zaphod42 posted:

what?

What does cause weight loss then?? Diet and exercise are literally the only things that work.

Now, not everybody is in a place where they can exercise, some people have injuries or whatever. But... wtf are you on about saying exercise and diet doesn't help you lose weight??

Diets don't work in the long term; the majority of people who attempt them return to their previous weight within five years; some of them even gain weight within five years. This includes calorie-counting, any fad diet you care to name (including the so-called 'Mediterranean' diet), glycemic indexing, WW/Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc.Because, here's the problem: diets are you intentionally starving yourself, and the mechanisms involved (your hormones) absolutely do not give a flying gently caress—starvation kills temperature regulation and causes lethargy, cognitive impairment, and other problems. So people stop dieting after they guiltily eat a decent loving meal for once...and oops, all that suffering was for nothing.

Exercise won't cause you to lose weight, either, because the amount of exercise you do would need to be consistent and significant to offset the food you eat. A 20-minute walk burns about 100 calories, give or take. Eating a serving of beef jerky or a typical protein bar will wipe that out and then some. If you're overweight (let's say 250 lbs), you're gonna be loving miserable–which is why fat people don't tend to exercise.

Beyond all of that, obesity is not inherently unhealthy, as it turns out. Almost all of the health issues commonly associated with being fat are from being out of shape and from doctors ignoring overweight patients' concerns because obviously the knees, ankles and feet you wrecked in high school at 180lbs are because you're 250lbs today.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Okay, since you chucklefucks seem to think I'm bullshitting:

Diets

Weight-Watchers/WW: "Weit Loss With Self-help Compared With a Structured Commercial Program", JAMA 289(14): 1792-98, 2003, DOI: 10.1001/jama.289.14.1792

Jenny Craig: "Effect of a Free Prepared Meal and Incentivized Weight Loss Program on Weight Loss and Weight Loss Maintenance in Obese and Overweight Women", JAMA 304(16): 1803-10, 2010, DOI: 10.1001/jama.2010.1503

What we can assume about people who drop out of these programs: "Evaluation of an Intensive Weight Contrl Program Using a Priori Criteria to Determine Outcome", International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders 16: 505-17, 1992, PMID: 1323547.

Meal replacements: "Systematic Review: An Evaluation of Major Commercial Weight Loss Programs in the United States", Annals of Internal Medicine 142: 56-66, 2005, PMID: 15630109.

Low-carb versus low-fat: "A Randomized Trial of a Low-carbohydrate Diet for Obesity", New England Journal of Medicine 348: 2082-90, 2003.

Low-GI diet versus low-calorie: "Effects of a Reduced-glycemic-load Diet on Body Weight, Body Composition, and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Markers in Overweight and Obese Adults", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 85(3): 724-34, March 2007.

Calorie-restriction diets don't work: "Medicare's Search for Effective Obesity Treatments: Diets Are Not the Answer", American Psychologist 62(3): 220-33, April 2007, DOI: 10.1037/0003-066X.62.3.220.

Weight-loss surgery, which I didn't discuss but is worth mentioning anyway: Cost-effectiveness of Surgically Induced Weight Loss for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes: Modeled Lifetime Analysis", Diabetes Care 32(4): 567-74, April 2009, DOI: 10.2337/dc08-1749.

Exercise:

Australian Sports Commission's annual report for 2009: https://ausport.gov.au/_data/assets/pdf_file/0005/377069/ERASS_Report_2009.pdf (latest available when Big Fat Lies was written)

Relationship between weight loss and exercise: "Relation between Caloric Intake, Body Weight, and Physical Work: Studies in an Industrial Male Population in West Bengal", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 4(2): 169-75, March 1956.

Exercise and obesity: "Fatness Leads to Inactivity, but Inactivity Does Not Lead to Fatness: A Longitudinal Study in Children (Early Bird 45)", Archives of Disease in Childhood, DOI: 10.1136/adc.2009/175927.

AHA review on exercise and obesity: https://acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home_Page&TEMPLATE=CML/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7764

Does regular exercise cause weight loss? "The Effect of Physical Activity on 18-month Weight Change in Overweight Adults", Obesit 19(1): 100-109, 2011, DOI: 10.1038/oby.2010.122.

Now gently caress off and post actual schadenfreude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Schadenfreude: The ZigBee Alliance, the folks who made home automation possible without assigning IP addresses to smart devices back in the 90s, are working with Google, Amazon, and other Internet of poo poo manufacturers to devise a WiFi-based interoperability protocol.

So future hardware designed to use ZigBee will probably be just as vulnerable to hacking and whatnot as current non-ZigBee idIoT poo poo.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I think Americans are the only people in the world who have to wash their hands in warm water like, all the time.

Per the CDC, the temperature of the water doesn't matter.

It's just that warm water feels nicer, I guess.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1224582920523931649

Buttigieg should be disqualified for this. (especially since apparently the app was developed by a company that received funds from his campaign, per FEC filings...)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

stop posting .gif, it's literally one more keystroke to not waste people's bandwidth (and yes, I fixed it here).

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Schadenfreude: Disney wants to turn their franchises into nightmare fuel. Like the following:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingMovie/status/1224767791493984256

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Joker is the Fight Club of this generation/decade. Of course chuds like it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Shot:

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1228296854137376768

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Republican billionaire buys significant stake in Twitter, which means the Nazis will likely finally have their Twitter soon.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Brawnfire posted:

What is this dude running into? I've watched this so many times now, it looks like an invisible giant picks him up suddenly.

There's a rope or chain thing between the pylons. Due to the low resolution of the recording, it's effectively impossible to see the one he trips over, but look to his right.

e:f;b

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

gschmidl posted:

bunch of tweets about DaSani being the only bottled water left

etc.

It's literally filtered tap water. They got ran out of the UK over it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Looks like his karma ran over his dogma. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The only thing better than this would be Mr Cummings also testing positive.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Most authors are not JKR-famous or Stephen King-famous or even that one guy who wrote the same book twelve times and somehow got people to buy every single one famous. In fact, most authors usually don't write for a living because they don't get paid enough.

Buy the goddamn books.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are yellow lights actually orange in other countries? Because I keep seeing people mention "speeding through the orange light" and I'm loving colorblind and I can tell that it's yellow.

Signal lighting is tuned such that all three colours are recognizeable regardless of colourblindness. 'Yellow' lights are actually amber, and 'green' are actually blue-green.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tricking people into consuming something they normally wouldn't is legally an assault on their person.

(Of course, it's on them if they steal other people's food, but the same conditions apply.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ralph Hurley posted:

It’s not even close to that many shots. By age 2? I’m pretty sure it was like 4 shots.

I suspect they're separating the vaccines out or using old data.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Son of Rodney posted:

I know goons have a hate boner for musk but tbh I find him hilarious. He's a completely eccentric weirdo who does dumb poo poo just to gently caress with people all the time, and it's funny as poo poo

Also most of his projects are pretty cool not gonna lie6

please go write a compare/contrast paper about him and Thomas Edison. source all quotes.

(they are broadly similar, in that Thomas Edison bought all the inventions he's famous for. only difference is, Edison didn't try to present himself as the second coming of Nikola Tesla.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
When you can get dimmable lighting with a standard light switch without smart bulbs, let me know. (No, brown-outs and excessive power usage elsewhere in the house don't qualify.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lodin posted:

Uhm, we had several of these installed back in 2001. Push it to turn the light on and off and twist it dim the light.

Hmm. Ah. Yes. Replacing a standard flip light switch with this is totally using a standard flip light switch.

I guess it wouldn't be the internet without the complete inability to not reflexively offer solutions that fail to meet the specified requirements.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My dishwasher doesn't record me loving people (probably). The complaint isn't "home automation bad" it's "the tradeoffs one makes for this ostensibly superior product are not worth the mild qol upgrade."

I've got Hue lights in some rooms and getting up to flick the switch is way more efficient than booting up the app.

They sell a remote dimmer. Unlike the app, it remembers what the loving light level was when you turn the lights off.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 8, 2020

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Devils Affricate posted:

That exists too, it's just a pain in the rear end to accurately control the dimming with a standard switch.

I mean, sure, but here's the problem: I'm light-sensitive (glaucoma) and most of the time I want dim lighting. Sometimes I want bright light. I can achieve that most optimally with smart bulbs (I prefer Phillips Hue or IKEA's Tradfri platforms because I am not buying botnet bulbs and both of those companies use a platform where only the gateway has an IP address). So naturally I'm going to go with the smart bulbs.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zesty posted:

No such thing as a free lunch blah blah blah.

Throw this libertarian tripe back to the dogs.

PetraCore posted:

I will point out tho that the tracing might be unprofessional but it is a free comic so it's not like he's making money off of someone else's photo.

Last I checked, which was literally years ago, he had ads. So he's definitely making money off of it.

Don't trace and act like you didn't, and definitely don't make money off of doing it. Other than that, it's pretty tacky to publish traced art; it's a learning tool and a crutch.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zesty posted:

What.

The point is he's using someone else's work to create his own work. Just straight up copying. He benefits by having more people interested in the rest of his work which he can charge for. Original artist gets nothing for propping him up.

Nothing comes from nowhere, dude. I've already explained my position in the rest of that post. Also,

BiggerBoat posted:

Tracing, collage, referencing, etc are all valid. The trick is to make it your own and unique.

Ideally you take your own photo reference and what have you but every artist steals and borrows. Again, what you have to do is turn into something new. It's sort of the difference between an album filled with nothing but samples like the Beastie Boys' Pauls Boutique or a straight lift like Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby".

It's a fine line and most artists walk it. I'm an Illustrator and graphic designer who went to school before the internet and one of the things that was ingrained into our heads was building a reference library. And I know it sounds weird but you still have to know how to draw to even trace well. When I need a shot/reference and whenever I can, I prefer to do my own photos because I know what I want but am not at all above googling things to remind me what they look like.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lemon posted:

I guess my reading comprehension isn't that good because when I looked at the rap sheet all I could think was "savant is a slur now???"

Guess I'll see you next Tuesday, then. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

KoRMaK posted:

Ah, well save yourself the trouble next time and rid yourself of the decorum concern, the gop and the right don't reward good behavior anyway, and they don't listen when they are asked politely or within the system that they themselves have setup

the Democrats don't either really. Hence, looting of multi national corporations. That got me wondering, what taxes did target pay last year? if it was a locally owned market that served it's community well then yea the looting would be hosed up. But I'm guessing between the free trade deals target is benefiting from getting fabric and goods and labor both domestic and abroad at low low low costs that target isn't really serving their communites well and are probably on the exploitative side of the scale. So gently caress em

That Target is HQ's testbed for anti-shoplifting surveillance, and they also refused to allow protesters to buy milk (to rinse out pepper spray with). They can take the L.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lodin posted:

They got a McDonald's, lol.

reverse image search indicates that that came from 4chan, so I'm filing it under stdh.jpg

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Jedit posted:

I can't feel schadenfreude about that, sorry. It was built by evil shitheads with ill-gotten gains for the worst reason possible, but it's still a nice building. There's got to be a better way to erase its history than fire.

Buildings like this are intentionally made beautiful to play off of useful idiots like yourself. They serve as a rallying cry for white supremacists, always have, and always will. Any structure that serves such a purpose is inherently unfit for existence. We should not be in the habit of maintaining symbols of oppression, because they will continue to serve as such. There is no historical value, set against that, that merits any outcome other than the destruction of said symbols.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Anne Whateley posted:

There are a bunch of clickbait threads like that for BLM, some of them start with celebrity gossip or whatever.

https://twitter.com/fentyybeyy/status/1267785833601552389

That said, it doesn't work for me because sometimes twitter just decides not to thread tweets because twitter is a huge pain in the rear end.

It's because mobile Twitter sticks these stupid ?s=[number] things on the end of the URL when you use their share button.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Alternative pants posted:

Just put a portrait of Sherman in every public school, government building, and post office south of the Mason Dixon line.

There were and are still plenty of racists north of the line, and I don't just mean the ones in the police departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

In retrospect this is really not schadenfreude; Yale is notoriously toxic and this is lovely parenting. And, well. This is a good read on poo poo like this.