Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Heya, it's me, Imoen, time to die"

Edit: heart of the cards...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hooplah posted:

i've heard talk of jadar also being pretty highly ranked in historic brawl actually. if you find yourself being matched with the annoying poo poo, you should try switching your commander out for ayara. i've mostly been paired against jank with her and it's a super powerful gameplan, i think probably stronger than jadar unless you go all out low to the ground aggro

that deck pretty regularly ends the game with a 10+ drain from gary
I actually used to run Ayara and ran into near-nonstop Raffines and Tashas, switched to Jadar and stopped running into so many Raffines but still into Tashas

I dunno what the shittiest black commander is but I'd run it just to not constantly run into meta brawl decks

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Omniscience Dragons is F tier miserable I'm skipping the last 2 wins

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mr. Meagles posted:

I generally think the gimmick modes like omniscience and momir are pretty bad and wish they had more weeks where they just threw together some precons to bash against each other.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I actually used to run Ayara and ran into near-nonstop Raffines and Tashas, switched to Jadar and stopped running into so many Raffines but still into Tashas

I dunno what the shittiest black commander is but I'd run it just to not constantly run into meta brawl decks

grass is always greener i guess v:shobon:v

as far as worst mono-b commander... try running the black go-shintai

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Mr. Meagles posted:

I have to wonder what the metrics are vs fun formats like peasant or gladiator and horrible poo poo like this. I would play multiple games of peasant/gladiator/whatever, and I'm never to to click this again.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mr. Meagles posted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
everyone in Ranked playing Obscura Midrange lately and i''m just like... okay, thanks for the free win

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

How come you dont post in the ps5 thread anymore?

not enough sexy teens, presumably

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Meagles posted:

it's immensely stupid garbage but it's fast so I'm just grinding the weekly wins real quick with it before going back to historic buffoonery

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

it's immensely stupid garbage but it's fast so I'm just grinding the weekly wins real quick with it before going back to historic buffoonery

Yes it was very fast, took like 5 minutes for 3 wins, it helped that I started with Sarkhan in 2 of those matches. It's warp speed compared to some of the other gimmick modes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
They're super luck-dependent in a way that kind of brings out the worst in Magic. This time around I got really lucky, my opponent in one game swung out not realizing that I had a trick to kill them on the crack-back, and in my second game my opponent went turn 1 creature on the play, followed by a clone effect which I fizzled with removal and they scooped :hellyeah: We'll see if I can work up the interest for the free cosmetic.

I guess my advice would be to free-mulligan any hand that doesn't have removal or a mythic Dragon?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah, just don't dump all your dragons onto the field all at once since the deck has a LOT of sweepers. maybe all of them?

had this game that lasted like 15 minutes just now, the deck is interesting because I get to see some cards I didn't know existed like Palladia-Mors.

they were very smart with their plays, but by simply playing 1-2 creatures at a time, I was able to eventually force them to waste all their removal and whittled them down to the point I could get to lethal through sheer card advantage.

it's not a good game mode, absolutely not, but there is fun to be had. that one was a very solid back-and-forth where every single card played mattered.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I had an opponent pre-GG me before dropping Jin Gitaxias and then tapping out all their mana before swinging for what they thought was lethal leaving me with 1hp, I guess their math was off. Then they assumed because I was monoblack I was sitting on Infernal Grasps or Bloodchief's Thirst that would either get auto-countered or kill me. They should have read the card text a little closer. Gin doesn't autocounter enchantments, so I slam dunked a meathook before invoking despair away their remaining HP. I love those glorious comebacks.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Cube is so good

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmfao this fuckin midweek event is "mulligan until you get niv-mizzet and scoop if you don't get him" isn't it

I like it because games basically end in 2-3 turns. Quick and painless

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Basically anything that has "draw/seek/return from graveyard" is good, dragons average out to just being equivalent flying beaters, so more dragons = better than.

And yeah, it's way faster and better than Momir. I could actually plan out lines of play because I can simply read what my cards do.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

precision posted:

everyone in Ranked playing Obscura Midrange lately and i''m just like... okay, thanks for the free win

My boomer brain took a sec to work out what you were talking about then with this "obscura" nonsense

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jarvisi posted:

I like it because games basically end in 2-3 turns. Quick and painless

I wish i was facing the opponent you are mine all seem to be roping the gently caress out every drat turn.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I also got Elspeth mikedrop for my third win, which is nice except I don't use emotes at all.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
The dragon omniscience event is loving miserable. Why does Arena specialize in making terrible events? Is WOtC upset about the event being free or something?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

saw esika early and got greedy

game 1 got punished by mono red that wouldn't even play into my sweeper. game 2 went a lot better against a luckily not too fast mono white deck. got to do the thing

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

thespaceinvader posted:

I wish i was facing the opponent you are mine all seem to be roping the gently caress out every drat turn.

There's also a large amount of people staring at every card like there's some complex strategy they've never seen in 0 cost cards

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone talk me out of the Historic Anthology now that stuff has settled, as a person who only plays Affinity (Foundry), Mono red (Laelia?), and various Gx "idiots and removal" piles (Goyf???).

e: OK, well I just played a goyfless GB midrange match against Chromatic Sphere/Lurrus/Goyf and kicked the everloving poo poo out of it, so maybe not Goyf.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 17, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If you flash in Chromium on the end of your opponents turn they will concede always, got me 3 of my wins

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I kept getting starting hands of low value trash or three non creature non draw cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

brugroffil posted:

I kept getting starting hands of low value trash or three non creature non draw cards

You get one free mulligan

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TesseractMinotaur posted:

The dragon omniscience event is loving miserable. Why does Arena specialize in making terrible events? Is WOtC upset about the event being free or something?

some players (especially new ones) enjoy the free events being low stakes and no deckbuilding as a break from ones that want for a large collection. people keep playing the gently caress out of momir even if I don't get the appeal at all

I tend to just shrug when they come around, get my rewards, and go elsewhere in the client. cube is here if you didn't notice!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lone Goat posted:

You get one free mulligan

Yup.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

First turn, I open palm slam a deck of many things, immediately rolls a 2 and nukes my hand. Next game I cast deadly dispute on Junji the first turn, now my opponent discards 2 before getting to do anything. Any MWM format that lets you win/lose in 1 turn is pretty alright imo.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I'm basically an Arena scrub now, I still have Legacy Elves in paper but I own almost zero other cards, I've cashed out like $15k plus since COVID started and no real plans of buying back in.

I continue to enjoy Arena, mostly historic, dabbling in Explorer, still own like 70% of historic overall and managing to not really put money in these days.

The best deck I am playing lately is an Emry twist to the Espertifacts decks floating around, but this is my current labor of love and I think there's something real here but it might shine a lot stronger as a Bo3 deck.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

precision posted:

Mind sharing a decklist that you're using?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Huxley posted:

Someone talk me out of the Historic Anthology now that stuff has settled, as a person who only plays Affinity (Foundry), Mono red (Laelia?), and various Gx "idiots and removal" piles (Goyf???).

e: OK, well I just played a goyfless GB midrange match against Chromatic Sphere/Lurrus/Goyf and kicked the everloving poo poo out of it, so maybe not Goyf.

Half of the cards are a cycle of common dual lands, only one(?) of which sees any play.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm basically an Arena scrub now, I still have Legacy Elves in paper but I own almost zero other cards, I've cashed out like $15k plus since COVID started and no real plans of buying back in.

I continue to enjoy Arena, mostly historic, dabbling in Explorer, still own like 70% of historic overall and managing to not really put money in these days.

The best deck I am playing lately is an Emry twist to the Espertifacts decks floating around, but this is my current labor of love and I think there's something real here but it might shine a lot stronger as a Bo3 deck.

Sick list. I am also pretty much all-in on Arena though I haven't felt super-compelled to play a lot of Explorer lately. So I dipped into Historic the other day to clear some dailies with BW Auras and I forgot how much I love that deck.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 18, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Momir rules and this dragon thing rules, just slam stuff down without thinking, it's fun to just have a no strings attached chaos mode, I sincerely don't get the complaints

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Huxley posted:

Sphere seems bad in whatever they were doing. Generally speaking, if you spend real money on gems to get cards, a playset of a mythic out of anthology is cheaper than the money->gems->wildcards conversion.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

death shadow snip

https://scryfall.com/card/hbg/10/shadowheart-sharran-cleric is both an excellent enabler and payoff and oh crap button on the Black Specialized side.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Momir rules and this dragon thing rules, just slam stuff down without thinking, it's fun to just have a no strings attached chaos mode, I sincerely don't get the complaints

I ended up playing and didn't dislike it in practice as much as I generally dislike these chaos modes in principle, but on some level I just feel like they're "not real Magic." I put it in quotes because I know it's a subjective evaluation and I'm not trying to knock anyone else for liking it, it just feels like random bullshit to me. But like I said, I kind of enjoyed it this time despite that general kneejerk attitude, mostly because the games are short enough not to be annoying.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It's annoying how Niv-Mizzet is an practically an instant win for whoever plays it first, but the way it wins game is super drawn-out. Everything else is whatever, play big dragons and whoever plays more wins. There's worse ways to spend your time.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Did you guys know that Bladewing the Risen pumps ALL dragons? Not just yours? I mean, yeah I knew that too...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

Did you guys know that Bladewing the Risen pumps ALL dragons? Not just yours? I mean, yeah I knew that too...

gotta love that old symmetrical design. thanks, 2003!

are any of the slivers on arena the real old slivers like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

gotta love that old symmetrical design. thanks, 2003!

are any of the slivers on arena the real old slivers like that

nope, upside only!

https://scryfall.com/search?q=f%3Ah+t%3Asliver