Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.17lands.com/deck/4ee799a01ba44abe8ef725ac0cc59711/1

This was my Sealed Pool. I threw together a spells deck to take advantage of Codie and went 7-2. I was loving shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/4ee799a01ba44abe8ef725ac0cc59711/1

This was my Sealed Pool. I threw together a spells deck to take advantage of Codie and went 7-2. I was loving shocked.

nice draft deck

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

nice draft deck

It was sealed, but I was actually surprised that it did so well. Codie is loving cool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SalTheBard posted:

It was sealed, but I was actually surprised that it did so well. Codie is loving cool.

yeah i was joking. looks sweet.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

yeah i was joking. looks sweet.

Oh sorry! Thank you! I haven't played any Prismari yet so it was pretty fun

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that has dumped the card they want in the yard with Curate?

expressive iteration is so clunky it makes 2 mana divination feel bad

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Alright I've punked out so many tainted pact decks by making them draw two with prismari command it makes me genuinely confused why people dont leave two cards in deck when resolving pact.

Like yeah abrade is a lose but I'm probably more likely to have a command before or after sbing

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sedisp posted:

Alright I've punked out so many tainted pact decks by making them draw two with prismari command it makes me genuinely confused why people dont leave two cards in deck when resolving pact.

Like yeah abrade is a lose but I'm probably more likely to have a command before or after sbing

Are you playing straight U/R? Losing Oracle to a removal spell is a much more common problem for my Pact deck, but I make an exception for UR decks that might have Prismari Command.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Chamale posted:

Are you playing straight U/R? Losing Oracle to a removal spell is a much more common problem for my Pact deck, but I make an exception for UR decks that might have Prismari Command.

Jeskai at the time. Removal is sorta easy to predict though and game two they're probably taking most of their two mana pings out.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 5, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's for sure worth watching pro players who explain their moves, try and find one you enjoy watching. You probably know most of the important concepts in the abstract but seeing examples really helps it actually sink in imo. Questions that watching pro players helped me think about better include:
- am I actually under pressure from this permanent/spell? Do I need to kill/counter it or can I hold my answer for something more impactful?
- Am I dead to card X? If so, I should assume they don't have it and play accordingly. Conversely, if I can only lose to card Y them I should assume they have it and play around that.
- I have an opportunity to resolve this instant on my turn. Should I? Do I care about it resolving or would I rather my opponent countered it so that I can potentially force something else through next turn?
- If my opponent had card X they would've played it last turn/done something differently, so I won't play around it as they'd have to topdeck it.
And obviously more format specific nuances regarding matchups, deck identification and which spells you need to play around.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 5, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey look no one is disputing that Bonecrusher is a very strong magic card but Lightning Bolt is the strongest red card ever printed.

It’s literally too strong for historic, a format with Storm and Tainted Pact.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhilippAchtel posted:

Can I just say that I love this card art?

:swoon:

It's not a bad effect either. If you can learn it and cast it in the same turn, you can remove a key blocker and win games with this card. It's a nice delaying card too if you know your opp's hand.

You should have to name two cards and name them secretly.
So it's Double Secret probation

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Playing Dimir in Historic is so weird it. It’s exactly like playing Brawl except Lurrus is your commander and you get to run U/B cards instead of W/B cards.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

so i was looking for a standard list i could have fun in ranked queue with (not looking to push into mythic or anything), but I wanted something I could build without spending any rare/mythic wcs from sets that are rotating. I found this list, one i think i've come up against a few times and thought looked interesting. I'm short a few wcs after crafting the things i thought were vital and will be useful in the future (the dragons, pathways), so i replaced the havens with a few basics and the last alrunds with the other epiphany. here's my list:

Anyone have any obvious changes before i really get into it? my first crafts will probably be havens when i get more wcs, then maybe magma opus #3. also the list i copied may have been tuned exclusively for bo3.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I’m attempting the “attack with 30 creatures” daily with gruul aggro, and I think it’s pretty poo poo that if the opponent concedes before you hit face the attacks don’t count. Makes achieving the daily much more of a grind then it should.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

You should have to name two cards and name them secretly.
So it's Double Secret probation

You write them on a piece of paper and when the opponent casts them, you get to flip the paper and say, "YOU JUST ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD"

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

PhilippAchtel posted:

You write them on a piece of paper and when the opponent casts them, you get to flip the paper and say, "YOU JUST ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD"

That's what foretell is for.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PhilippAchtel posted:

This is just the Hidden Agenda cards from Conspiracy, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have been absolutely impressed with Go Blank in the SB of my black decks (Auras mostly). There are so many disgusting little freaks (by the way @Leperflesh this is just a joke) playing these Jeskai decks with Magma Opus, Mastery and Gearhulk and it is an absolute haymaker against them.

I was very excited to try Detention Vortex as a replacement for Heliod's Punishment, but the fact that it only stops activated abilities is kind of a bummer. The GW matchup is basically unwinnable if you can't answer their Thalia or Archon, and it just doesn't do anything there.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 5, 2021

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Similarly, thought distortion is probably too expensive to be good but man resolving it against any hard control deck in historic is an amazing feeling.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've never actually cast a Thought Distortion against anyone but I've had it cast on me and I can confirm that it feels like poo poo!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

imweasel09 posted:

Similarly, thought distortion is probably too expensive to be good but man resolving it against any hard control deck in historic is an amazing feeling.

Can confirm, this is one of the greatest feelings in the game.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

Every time I've had thought distortion cast against me I had discontinuity up and got to watch my opponent's dawning horror that uncounterable spells can still be exiled from the stack

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

witchy posted:

Every time I've had thought distortion cast against me I had discontinuity up and got to watch my opponent's dawning horror that uncounterable spells can still be exiled from the stack

Terrific post/avatar combo

Speaking of, where/what is your avatar from?

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

TipTow posted:

Terrific post/avatar combo

Speaking of, where/what is your avatar from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
How come when I go to make a traditional standard deck I can't use most of my cards?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey look no one is disputing that Bonecrusher is a very strong magic card but Lightning Bolt is the strongest red card ever printed.

It’s literally too strong for historic, a format with Storm and Tainted Pact.

Strongest card printed in Arena, ok

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wooper posted:

How come when I go to make a traditional standard deck I can't use most of my cards?

What sets are they from? They may have rotated out of standard depending on how long you've been collecting.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you're new to arena, there's a small set of cards they have perennially available (the symbol is an A+the planeswalker symbol), but only legal in Bo1. unsummon is an example.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The search term is S:ANB to see cards that are always legal in Bo1 standard but are only legal in Bo3 standard if they are in a current rotation set.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

witchy posted:

The only time Ive had thought distortion cast on me was by an esper deck with teferi and I I assume sharks as win cons.

Narsets reversal is real good against that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol I hate playing quick draft matches cuz I cant make a deck worth a drat. Tho that might have something to do with the fact I cant help grab strong cards that have nothing to do with the school I'm trying to draft :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

selsnya company: a fun as gently caress deck

"oh i'm just going to use mizzet's mastery to flash back an emergent ultimatum against you without closely reading archon of emeria's text box"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Playing Dimir in Historic and I feel like 7-8 of losses are just Arena bugging out with Tainted Pact.

On more than one occasion I’ve had it just select a card for me despite not roping or even taking that long, and twice now I’ve declined like 4-5 cards and then my buttons will disappear and it will just exile my whole deck!

It’s really weird that they would put that card into the game but then they wouldn’t make sure it worked correctly, using Tainted Pact for its most common use cases is insanely clunky, bugged, and hosed up.

Also I learned the very hard way that hitting full control with Oracle on the stack isn’t good enough, you absolutely must assume full control before even casting the fish.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think it says something about the power of the combo that despite being bugged in a ton of instances and being unable to win on turn 3 the deck is still all over the Mythic ladder. I wonder if WotC is even going to bother looking into fixing it ASAP or if they're just going to wait a while to see if it's bannable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a patch tomorrow, so we'll see

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1390024657512714241

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

I think it says something about the power of the combo that despite being bugged in a ton of instances and being unable to win on turn 3 the deck is still all over the Mythic ladder. I wonder if WotC is even going to bother looking into fixing it ASAP or if they're just going to wait a while to see if it's bannable.

*laughs in Pioneer*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fadam posted:

i am amazed how often people go off with it for a combo that doesn't have many copies in its deck by necessity

people do bluff it though so i've been making them show both pieces before conceding

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

evilweasel posted:

i am amazed how often people go off with it for a combo that doesn't have many copies in its deck by necessity

people do bluff it though so i've been making them show both pieces before conceding

The main deck has two copies of each combo piece as well as 4 tutors that can fetch one or both pieces and a ton of draw, plus with Lurrus you can churn eggs to mulch through your deck super fast. It’s way more consistent than you’d think a singleton deck would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

evilweasel posted:

It's actually kind of a neat example of smart deckbuilding to get the deck to a point where it has such a high combo-kill success rate but can still play a totally reasonable control game to ensure it gets there. The original builds people were showing off with Lutri and the nasty UB(R/G) builds people are playing today are like night and day.

I was enjoying playing Auras again but even with the full disruption suite I find the match-up against Pact really bad so I had to put it away.

Bust Rodd posted:

The main deck has two copies of each combo piece as well as 4 tutors that can fetch one or both pieces and a ton of draw, plus with Lurrus you can churn eggs to mulch through your deck super fast. It’s way more consistent than you’d think a singleton deck would be.

Yeah I had a guy get me in a position where he could cast and crack a Soul-Guide Lantern every turn and it was so demoralizing lol