Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've never played Boros Feather with reckless rage so, uh, yay?

I mean, I can see why people loved it but I didn't want to spend wildcards on something rotating out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lost to monored aggro and a deck that played a ton of board wipes (wrath of kayas, doom foretold, planar cleansing, maybe a few more I don't remember) and enchantments and Danced them back.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Magic Underwear posted:

Apparently you can't cast murderous rider as a spell when it's been exiled by 3 mana vivien. It's still a creature card while in exile damnit.

Yeah but it's in regular exile, not adventure-exile.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

When I did my run of the win every card event, my Golos Fields got rocked hard by a deck that just continually played Kaya's wrath, planar cleansing, doom foretold, oath of kaya, and other board wipers. And then they dance'd them back in twice, first time as creatures to knock me below 10 and second time as just enchantments but it was still enough.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

qbert posted:

That seems weird because Golos Fields has a great matchup against Dance. You usually don't have any non-token permanents to sacrifice, or if you do, they're not cards that matter.

Usually it was due to timing. I'd get a bunch of zombies out and they'd wipe it, or I'd have to sac Golos, etc. Every time I was ready to swing in the next turn they'd clear my board on their turn or right before I went. A few times I had to clear my board in the process with Realm-Cloaked Giant. The short of it is that I rarely got a chance to actually attack them with much of anything except a Golos and a pair of zombies.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zero VGS posted:

This was my experience as well, Dance owned me. You see that Doom Foretold card and are like "is that supposed to be a threat?" but it's really the 5 billion Wraths clearing a path for Dance of the Manse.

Of course the moment I blow my wildcards on this Fields deck is the moment the meta starts to get wise to it.

Still there's room for me to get better at piloting the deck. Most of your own creatures are great candidates to bounce with Teferi/TimeWipe, and Teferi also enables stuff like Circuitous Route at the end of their turn.

With all that said, the deck doesn't feel any more powerful than just vanilla Gates decks, and in fact someone with a Gates deck outraced me with an early Ram and a hasted Colossus.

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

little munchkin posted:

get multiple fields in play and suddenly they need to have a sweeper for every land drop you make. they cant kill you quickly and you run them out of sweepers before they can kill you with dance

the matchup is like 90% - 10% in favor of golos, you're probably just running into some bad variance. bring in some veil of summers and negates/vetos from your sideboard

Fortunately/unfortunately it was the event. I don't have the actual wildcards or really the desire to play Golos Fields normally.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of which, anyone looking forward to the second War of the Spark Novel?!

"revelations about the Wanderer!"

It's loving hilarious how the flavor of War of the Spark going by cards seems to depict this prolonged but slow unraveling of Ravnica with tons of fighting, destabilization of Guilds, death of at least one Parun, and lots of civilian death, etc.

And then it all takes place in just like one afternoon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The optimist in me says that there's plans to unite Historic and Pioneer eventually, but there's too many sets between the start points at the moment and they don't want to make promises or have people have expectations when an ETA is so far off.

But then you can just look at the state of the client and various issues and their priorities and who even knows.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How long ago do you think that cinematic was finished?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AngryBooch posted:

oh my god. Ali has brewed a deck using Chance for Glory to make all his creatures indestructible for the whole game by countering Chance for Glory's "lose the game" clause with Tale's End.

Absolute loving madman.

Before rotation one of the people at my LGS had a Feather/Chance for Glory/Lich's Mastery deck.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dr. Stab posted:

good thing they banned sorcerous spyglass.

Well you wouldn't want them to render your commander useless.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can I walk to a plane without planeswalkers

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eej posted:

There's like vague hints of story with the knights going out on some quest for... one of the kingdoms? and then there's Fairy Tale stuff along the way they gotta get through.

The novel is kind of okay but the fairy tale stuff is basically stapled on even there. It's more a flavor of supernatural stuff rather than specific events. Like when weird magical things happen in Eldraine, instead of medieval horror ala Innistrad it's stuff that's a little more whimsical like a gingerbread man coming to life or a bunch of fairies play pranks on you but can easily be just as malicious as Innistrad's happenings.

It's not Magic the Shrekening though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Does Oko only show up at higher ladder levels? I don't see it very often, but I also only just made it to platinum rank a few days ago and I still face a lot of starter decks.

I feel like once people hit plat they just experiment more. When people are serious about advancing, they're probably trying to use the most effective decks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's good art but I don't particularly care about my arena decks while I care about my paper decks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My neighbor at pre-release was really happy to get a foiled storybook Order of Midnight. It was pretty rad-looking.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Simone Poodoin posted:

I got a few in the Eldraine bundle I got, didnt know those were special packs and the bundle didnt cost more than usual.

You can get storybook cards in normal boosters, it's extended art that's collector's boosters only? I think? They really need a Ubisoft-style chart.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ptroll posted:

MTGO is a quality program

Currently stuck on this screen after my opponent conceded while I was tapping everything I own in full control.

MTGo play something else

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zero VGS posted:

What the gently caress, I tried doing that Omnipotence draft and right out of the gate someone has a turn 1 infinite combo. Scholar of the Ages, Unsummon and Anticipate. Just keep bouncing and replaying the scholar for infinite card draw.

Yeah but that could be you.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Will Core 2021's focus PWalker be Oko

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Huxley posted:

:)

It's Teferi.

Meant M22. Counted up from M20 and still somehow screwed up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

JerryLee posted:

Emrakul, wasn't it?

She wasn't banned, they put her in the moon. Why do you think NASA is going back to the moon?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MRLOLAST posted:

I discovered that Gorging Vulture is pretty good in my Golgari Knights deck, just wanted to share if someone else was having issues with the mono red matchups with Golgari. Also you do get a lot more mileage with it from Order of midnight/alter fate.

Can I see your list?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's slightly worse than normal Momir because there's quite a few creatures who are literally nothing but 3/3s. Without the elking, at least their power/toughness could matter. Just gotta hope even more than before that you luck out.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It might not be top tier but Ilharg in brawl is fun since you can throw creatures with ETB triggers and on damage triggers for a lot of fun.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zero VGS posted:

I mean yeah the correct answer if it's a creature commander is to cook it with Witch's Oven if you can manage to draw a one-off.

It still just seems screwy and against the spirit of the format that you can Frogify a commander or whatever and not have to deal with them for the rest of the game. Is that how it works in EDH too?

Yes. The answer is to have a bunch of cards that can act as answers one way or another.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oathsworn also has to attack each combat if able so it won't be blocking for long.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've been using my RDW deck for cascade. Spells that can be discounted like spectacles are great, and holy poo poo Embercleave wrecks as usual.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

zoux posted:

It's been a long time since I saw a 250 card deck but today it's back and I can't even begin to conceive of what the point is

I did that once for fun and it crashed my game the moment it searched my deck for something.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CapnAndy posted:

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Got a concede, then was just locked in the room with my now-headless opponent. Slightly creepy.

You got prison realm'd.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Milling out my opponent but they don't draw until their next turn is the best worst feeling ever, except it was in paper so we both had a good time.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If you want to just get the event over with, goon suggestion of going with Elspeth and mulliganning for good hands holds true. It's Arena, people frequently concede if they feel like they can't turn things around because there's just another game around the corner.

Except for once, you're the one with instant queues and they're the ones without.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Have you considered that I am the only moral MTGA player in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Going back to cat chat it is really crazy how resilient the combo is, you can get your point of life drain and still dodge instant speed exile effects both on the board and in the yard. Cry of Carnarium is one of the only ways to exile the cat, and even that you can play around if you aren't using the cat to block.

How's that work? The -2/-2 should take it out either way.