Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chadzok posted:

That's when you roll up an Agent of Treachery for 7. Jeez people, this is basic, basic stuff.

also meteor golem. I won a game against blazing archon by just rolling 7's over and over again instead of maxing out at 8 or 9 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I assume someone has done the math on deck thinning, is it actually relevant?

it's relevant in the sense that it will make you slightly less likely to draw a land off the top of your deck, but it's a very small percentage that doesn't outweigh the cost of having lands that cost you life or enter the battlefield tapped or whatever.

zoux posted:

Then why is it so verboten to play 61 card decks

because it does not cost you life or tempo to remove the 61st card out of your deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but losing instantly because the game dropkicks you in the nuts for spending 6 mana vs your opponent getting a cool dude are two very different things.

it's insanely hosed up how momir added all that variance to a game that involves a shuffled deck of cards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
played a bunch of games with the doom fortold deck, and it seems really good when you draw more than two lands but also less than 10, which is unfortunately zero percent of the time

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

JerryLee posted:

So the new random game feedback thing is 100% a psychological ploy to reassure players that they are heard and their feelings matter, right?

Because I can't possibly see how they can be extracting any useful information about what creates good or bad game experiences.

e: This is an exaggeration; I can contrive certain scenarios where you might extract some suggestive information (e.g., "wow, people tend to hate games more where Dance of the Manse is involved"), but there are still so many variables and confounding factors when you're just polling people on happy face vs. sad face. Taking that set of Dance of the Manse games, do you split out games where one player ropes a lot? Where emotes or pet colors get spammed? Where one player has the totally innocuous username of MAGAQ88?

vvv Fair, I'd been assuming it was random sampling.

nah gauging a player's immediate emotional response to stuff is important to the f2p model of trying to elicit emotional responses that are conducive to payers getting out their credit cards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Foulmire Knight seems reasonable.

yea it's the most powerful card in the pack aside from covetous urge, but urge has too restrictive of a casting cost to take when you have too solid red cards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

RC Cola posted:

It would be nice if there was a way to interact with that deck

the only way to interact with it is to play one drops and attack with them

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Is it time to maindeck 4 Unmoored Ego? I see a lot of decks depending on a few key cards and it'd only really whiff against aggro. T3 might be too slow though, so it'd need to go with quench etc

fires and golos decks have incredibly powerful + robust late games and will absolutely roll you if you sacrifice cards and tempo to remove some cards from their library. dance decks not so much but i've won plenty of games with just a few doom fortolds.

focus on finding your own powerful thing to do, answering your opponent is not a winning strategy at the moment

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Did Cavalcade die? Because it seems like a good simple deck to catch people by surprise so you can get your wins for the day in.

The only rares I can think of in the deck are Torvald (probably 2 of) and Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (2-3 of)
The rest of the deck looks something like
3x Gingerbrute (common)
4x Scorch Spitter (common)
4x Grim Initiate (common)
4x Shock (common)
3x Skewer the Critcs (Uncommon)
3x Chandra's Spitfire (uncommon)
3x Scampering Scorcher (uncommon)
4x Cavalcade of Calamity (Uncommon)
4x Light up the stage (uncommon)

This is the baseline. Room to improve a bit with rares.

here's another good mono-color deck: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23285&d=360264&f=ST

you can probably get away with not crafting tomik or the castles if you want to shave a few more rares

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Argas posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.

get multiple fields in play and suddenly they need to have a sweeper for every land drop you make. they cant kill you quickly and you run them out of sweepers before they can kill you with dance

the matchup is like 90% - 10% in favor of golos, you're probably just running into some bad variance. bring in some veil of summers and negates/vetos from your sideboard

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol every deck in platinum is either golos or a deck clearly meant to prey on golos but is still not actually favored against them

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so the problem I’m having with Gruul in Bo1 is basically that I will absolutely lose if I ever draw 3 or more lands in a row.

If you’re ripping threats reliably then you can’t really lose but any flood whatsoever and it’s game over

have you considered playing a deck where flooding out still generates 6/6 worth of stats every turn?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Golos outside of a mirror isn't fun to play either. I don't even get that sort of sinister glee that I get when I play like Turbofog or Control. It's just slamming lands down and occasionally playing a card that gets more land.

counterpoint: there's nothing funnier than playing against someone with unmoored ego, ashiok, and shitloads of discard conceding to your 8/8 hydroid krasis

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

What decisions are Golos fields players making exactly?

land sequencing, sweeper timing, whether to roll the dice with golos or make the reliable play of the stuff in your hand. it's got the same decision points as any other deck you're just a lot more likely to win at the end

most matchups get completely braindead once your late game is setup but the mirror is wild and you gotta do a lot of work to get ahead when both sides have a huge wall of zombies

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Play a wish board, have tectonic rift, win mirror. :v:

you can already sort of do this with kenrith or the beanstalk giant -> cast off combo

the wish package is completely pointless, just play agent of treachery instead and it will be better than anything you could possibly wish for

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

beedub posted:

I just lost a game against Esper Dance and I'm trying to learn the game and see if I threw. They were at 4, with 2x Doom Foretold in play, I had a Skarrgan Hellkite out and the shock Giant dude in my hand. I had enough mana to play the shock instant and also activate the hellkite to kill them. However I only got one onto the stack when we moved to my upkeep before their Doom Foretold triggers went through, my poo poo got sacced and they healed out of range.

Did I need to put a stop or full control? Or what I wanted to do was impossible.

it shouldn't autopass if you still have spells to cast or abilities to activate. was there something you missed, like a teferi in play or not enough red sources?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

beedub posted:

I don’t recall anything, so I guess I’ll never know now, but I should probably get in the habit of jamming full control for any upkeep shenanigans anyway?

there is a 99% chance you misclicked or missed something about the game state (i've played a ton of online ccgs and this has happened to me a bunch), your mental energy is better spent focusing on playing tightly

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they ever do anything about Legion Warboss

they instituted a rule at mcs where you have to announce to your opponent that youre about to cast one, so they can set a stop if they want to lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Keep in mind that this is jank, and I'm having fun with it, it's just that there are a ton of cards in my library and I'm wondering if there isn't a more efficient / more effective card I can pull into maindeck or wish sideboard.

2 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
4 Merfolk Secretkeeper (ELD) 53
15 Island (ANA) 62
4 Overwhelmed Apprentice (ELD) 60
3 Drowned Secrets (GRN) 39
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
4 Wall of Lost Thoughts (RNA) 59
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
2 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
2 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
5 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Drown in the Loch (ELD) 188
2 Bond of Insight (WAR) 43
1 Folio of Fancies (ELD) 46

2 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
2 Folio of Fancies (ELD) 46
2 Finale of Eternity (WAR) 91
2 Frogify (ELD) 47
1 Finale of Revelation (WAR) 51
3 Into the Story (ELD) 50
2 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228

murderous rider with only 9 black sources is highly illegal

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

When does Field of the Dead get banned? Four days?

I've been running apeshit over Ranked with Goloscopy and there are tweaks I want to make, but I'm pretty sure there's no point.

I just hit mythic and here's where I ended up at:
there's two plains missing from the pic for some reason

I followed some advice from arena decklists where they suggested leaning hard on teferi because it's good against aggro and countermagic, which are the two most problematic things for you. also cutting tapped duals for off-color shocklands just to make sure they can cast your spells in the early game.

the way I found to get an edge in the mirror was to just not play any "hate" cards. opponents would have unmoored ego or ashiok or get a bunch of stuff with fae of witches, and I would just run them over anyways. unmoored ego is terrible and i have yet to lose to someone who has cast it. I never felt like kenrith was something the deck needed but maybe im underestimating it in non-mirror matchups

sky tether is my secret tech for everything else. one mana to answer a questing beast or skargan hellkite is super strong

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 16, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Four basics when you run 3x passage, 2x beanstalk, and 4 routes seems like you're setting yourself up for a bad time.

there's two plains that showed up blank on the decklist generator for some reason

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

It still seems a little light with 6 basics. I'd probably run 7 or 8 with swamp and mountain being the last two, just to prevent doubling issues. You can run into some fotd activation problems if you draw basics in your starting 7.

the manabase is super tricky, in addition to having diverse names for field, you also have to worry about actually being able to cast growth spiral on curve. if i put in a mountain or swamp i'd have to cut a spell for them. tbh i'm fine with the third circuitous route not being good or whatever

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Arivia posted:

Not sure what I should cut here:

The bots don't seem to be passing as many So Tinies or Merfolk Secretkeepers, at least in that draft.

forever young isn't great because you don't have many good creatures that you'd actually want in the late game, you could put it in the sideboard and just wish for it if you end up wanting it. lost legion is a fine card but not really enough to justify the risk of trying to hit BB on turn 3 off of 8 swamps. spinning wheel is an easy cut

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Sean posted:

Here is my draft budget:

1 Oko
3 Mill Cards
48 cards I haven't narrowed down
5 Run Away Togethers

Someone who is good at drafting please help me.

This is maybe my second draft for Eldraine. My idea (and I'm bad at imagining mtg) is to mill a bunch and use RAT to start the process over again. Then for whatever reason I have a ton of food making stuff. I never got much to do with them.

Potential cuts off the top of my head:
Garenbrig Carver - Not enthusiastic about this but I don't have much at 4 drop
Spiders - I have these in there for stalling out flyers, obliviously but I'm not sure if they're worth it.

spider is great, it blocks everything and is hard to punch through even with a pump spell

carver is weak but you have a lot of other bad stuff to cut, and it'll let your 0/4s and 1/5s actually kill stuff in combat. i think it has better upside than your insatiable appetites.

i'd go -2 beanstalk, -3 appetite, -1 return to nature, -2 run away together. maybe even drop another run away to make room for wishing well

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

gotta disagree with some of this, you don't need your big butt guys to kill things in combat, you just gently caress around until you deck your opp. to do that you can Run Away your merfolk so you effectively have 16 mill on your opponent.

+1 well, +1 egg
-2 beanstalk, -3 appetite, -1 return to nature, -2 garenbrig carver, -1 run away together, -1 maraleaf rider

ideally yea but we only have two copies of the merfork, drawing multiple copies of run away together and no merfolk is a death sentence and i'd rather try and minimize the chances of that happening

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Your deck was specifically tailored to beat the deck you beat, it’s bad against the rest of the field.

This is is why I was all in on Gruul until they pushed up the ban and then dumped all my WC into Golgari instead.

yea the gruul build the op copied is meant to prey on golos decks, and because of that it's super light on interaction and doesn't have any late game plan like henge or some planeswalkers (because golos' late game is going to be superior no matter what you do). It's pretty weak vs. the rest of the field and from my experience only like 50/50 against golos.

also with only 4 stomping ground for fixing (no idea why the op cut one), the mana is terrible. You're going to run into a lot of variance losses because of mulligans or not being able to cast your spells on time

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zyla posted:

how does a questing beast even hold a sword anyway

very carefully

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at the mythic championship trying to protect the narrative by showing only non-golos matchups, only to accidentally highlight how broken u/g food is against everything else

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

turboraton posted:

Not like this Mardu Knights :'(

anyone who tells you their deck "crushes golos" is a liar

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I guess I should clarify that besides everything I said “T1 Goose, T2 Oko” is probably the single strongest on-the-play in the format.

actually it's t1 arboreal grazer putting a simic guildgate onto the battlefield

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

I just hit mythic and here's where I ended up at:

I followed some advice from arena decklists where they suggested leaning hard on teferi because it's good against aggro and countermagic, which are the two most problematic things for you. also cutting tapped duals for off-color shocklands just to make sure they can cast your spells in the early game.

the way I found to get an edge in the mirror was to just not play any "hate" cards. opponents would have unmoored ego or ashiok or get a bunch of stuff with fae of witches, and I would just run them over anyways. unmoored ego is terrible and i have yet to lose to someone who has cast it. I never felt like kenrith was something the deck needed but maybe im underestimating it in non-mirror matchups

sky tether is my secret tech for everything else. one mana to answer a questing beast or skargan hellkite is super strong

up to mythic rank #223 because none of the decks people say are good against golos actually are, and none of the cards people use to get an edge in the mirror are good either (except oko)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

These MCV games have been good to watch but Jesus do I loving hate NummythwNumot/Kenji Igarashi. He seems so smarmy and like the most punchable guy

you fantasize about punching strangers for playing a card game the wrong way

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Bust Rodd

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

Ok but do you have NG in BO1 for laddering with the deck?

no but you can't play elderspell for the exact same reason, it's a dead draw against a large % of the field

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

If someone plays Turn 2 Oko, then I Spark Harvest it, then they say "oops" and play a Turn 3 Oko, then I Spark Harvest that then they play a Turn 4 Nissa and keep spamming oops, that's fair game to rope them right? What the hell did I reenable emotes for anyway?

in your pursuit for justice, you have become the very thing you look down upon. its you, you are the toxic one.

real revenge is staying positive

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 22, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cheen posted:

i've made it to mythic, i don't feel the need to post about it every other day

i don't feel like i need to but it's still fun to do

#84 right now btw, probably higher than that gaston avatar guy who makes all those bad posts

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vando posted:

Are there any good resources anywhere for figuring out the 'correct' way to play against a deck? Like what parts of popular decks should I be prioritising with removal, when to start a damage race etc.

mostly you want to be thinking about how the next few turns are going to play out. if you fire off that murderous rider, what follow ups could your opponent have that punish you? are there plays that could punish you for not pulling the trigger now? are there cards you could draw that could change these calculations? maybe you don't have great attacks, but you can get a little bit of damage in, and are things ever going to get better for you if you wait?

there's no trick to make this stuff easier, you just gotta think of all the possible permutations of ways the game could play out, and decide which play has the highest liklihood of a positive outcome. it's hard, especially for newer players, but it gets easier over time, especially if you've played the matchup a few times and play patters start to repeat themselves

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vando posted:

I'm thinking more like threat priority, stuff that's more dependent on the other deck than your own. Like I don't want the answer to be "play every other deck in the meta to learn what the keystone plays are," I'm hoping there are deck analysis resources out there that focus on what wrecks a deck rather than how to play it out optimally.

these resources don't exist and even if they did, they would not be helpful. it doesn't matter what "wrecks a deck" in the abstract because these decisions depend mostly on the context of your hand, life totals, and the board state.

next time you're stuck at a decision point, take a screenshot and post it here

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kawabata posted:

Yeah 4 copies of Angrath's Rampage plus Bedevil in any Rakdos deck or 4 copies of Trophy in Golgari whatever are absolutely brutal for decks that base their power on planeswalkers.

*casts a 6/6 hydroid krasis*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ex post facho posted:

jokes on them because they just time out conceded so i musta caught them needing to poop :smug:

drat dude we all respect you a lot now