Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

witchy posted:

Put battle of wits in Jumpstart 2 cowards

"Why is one of these booster packs eight times the size of the others?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Euro Land?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

IMJack posted:

Well that sucks.

But is it 250 tokens total or of the same type? Asking for a swarm of mutated friends.

token objects period.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I entered into the FNM Historic all access event with my M20/21 era izzet prowess deck and utterly destroyed someone who was piloting a netdecked muxis deck. I unsummoned muxis during their beginning of combat step and they sacrificed enough Krenko tokens to recast him, but couldn't, because combat step, this also took 10 damage off the table and kept me alive. They then proceeded to spend 5 minutes snoop/prospector/krenko/muxis/etc-ing their way through their deck and completing my "kill 25 of your opponent's creatures" quest for me, so. Thanks?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

sounds more like your opponent was trying to play to their outs and just couldn't get the damage through

you know, like someone who is trying to play the game

I had a 7/7 flyer and they were at 5 life. I saw 50% of their deck and saw nothing that would have dealt damage to my face or a creature in any fashion. So I'm genuinely confused as to what they were doing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I've been seeing the channelfireball christmas gift box thing advertised a lot on youtube and it looked interesting, anyone bought one before?

It looks tempting, though when I got my magicfest in a box it took a bit for them to ship it so they gave me some extra cards as compensation. and I have more than my fair share of sol rings, Paths, and lightning bolts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ScottyJSno posted:

If I block a dude with an Embercleave then sack the blocker, how much damage goes through if any?

Am I right in thinking in the old days damage on the stack days none of it would?

All of it.

And even in the old days of stack damage, the blocker only eats as much trample damage as it has toughness

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

fadam posted:

Couldn't they just destroy either the enchantment that provides the player with hexproof or the enchantment that makes the player unattackable?

There are already enchantments that stop attacking so it's not without precedent in the rules. It would be framed as "creatures can't attack players with hexproof" or something similar to Ensnaring Bridge.

Blanket attack prevention enchantments usually have some kind of downside or a way for the attacker to work around them, because otherwise they're "gently caress the red and/or black player" enchantments.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Ooh, that's a subtle but important interaction. I wasn't aware of that myself :prepop:

more importantly, If you mutate onto a scute the copy will have all of the stats of the mutate stack. So if you mutate a starrix on top of a Scute swarm and pull a land from the top of your deck, you'll make 6/6 scutes that will continue to copy themselves.

Also importantly, even though the token copies are copies of the starrix/scute mutate stack, they themselves have not been mutated before. So anything that counts "Do a thing however many times this has been mutated" Will see you mutating a token copy of a starrixcute as the first time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Anyone know of a reasonable place to get FNM arena codes? I know they get posted on places like reddit or big discords but the chance of actually nabbing one in those places before people (or bots) is basically zero, and I certainly am not desperate enough for codes to stalk them 24/7 which is about what it'd take. I believe you're limited to 1 code redeem per account right?

My FLGS has you submit a picture of your "participation" in that night's FNM and then someone DM's you a code over the weekend.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Turn one thousand year storm. sandbag until I get enough instants in a row to just dome them with inescapable blazes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Legends looks pretty much as I would want a "planeswalker game" that isn't simply MTG to be. The environments look a bit plain but the gameplay looks like it could be fun if the monetization isn't too aggressive, although there is obvious scope for that.

it's an ARC game, it's going to have lovely monetization.

also It's impossible to play because

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

What's the best deathtouch list currently? Killing people with Fynn in Draft has made me inclined to see if it's just as fun in Constructed.

green black 1/2 drops, Lurrus as your companion. reanimation and kill spells to taste. Blend until your opponent ragequits.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

denimgorilla posted:

This sounded pretty funny so I tried it out. I'm sure this deck could be much better but it does lead to a lot of early concedes!

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

Deck
7 Forest (SLD) 108
2 Typhoid Rats (ANB) 63
3 Boot Nipper (IKO) 76
3 Tajuru Blightblade (ZNR) 208
10 Swamp (SLD) 105
2 Fynn, the Fangbearer (KHM) 170
3 Mire Triton (THB) 105
1 Fetid Imp (M21) 98
4 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
1 Malakir Rebirth (ZNR) 111
2 Omen of the Dead (THB) 110
2 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
4 Ram Through (IKO) 170
1 Mire Triton (JMP) 257
1 Chevill, Bane of Monsters (IKO) 181
2 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
2 Jungle Hollow (M20) 248
2 Serrated Scorpion (IKO) 99
2 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Moss-Pit Skeleton (ZNR) 228
3 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
2 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99

Sideboard
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

I mean, i ran into it a few times which is why I knew it would work. But don't forget Moss viper exists, and probably run more Fynn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

house of the dad posted:

The tibalt’s trickery deck sucks. And it sucks!

*Casts tibalt's trickery on the deck sucking*
*reveals that the deck still sucks*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

No?
To exchange, in magic, means you need two separate players and each one gains something and loses something. If one player wouldn't lose something (like if one of the targets is dead) the exchange doesn't happen.
If one player controls both things being exchanged, nothing happens.

A player cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Magic's first law of Equivalent Exchange.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Someone post a fun mono-white, mono-blue or Azorius deck, historic or standard, emphasis on fun, not a yorion pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd_7E08jeZQ
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/reverent-reflection-445528

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

Extremely large queues of abilities or spells on the stack should no longer cause draws.
Developer's Note: Should being the operative word. We've been unable to force a draw internally with this, but we know some of you will take this as a challenge.

Thriving Lands that enter the battlefield with a Blood Sun in play will now correctly tap for mana.
. . . We're guessing no one noticed, but still, glad we fixed it.
:lol:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Did you get to the do the "cyclone summoner path back to find the land you need to activate path" thing?

Just the most durdles ever.

Cyclone summoner Battle of Frost and Fire back to your hand after they put down a bunch of creatures to rebuild after BOFOF is the best.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

It was interesting. I don 't regret playing in it, I just wish my games had been more competitive.

Yeah, really sucks when you're given rares with no real focus and no support and you go up against someone with 6 on-color rares, a pile of fixing, and a bunch of mythic uncommons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The important bit is that universes beyond are not going to be standard legal. So there's not going to be lotr in standard or modern probably outside of reprints or alt arts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Mutate is like tokens and a bunch of other aspects of the game that are fun on Arena but sound like a nightmare in paper.

Speaking of mechanics that have been phased out, what happened to regenerate? Why does Wrath of God still include "Creatures can't regenerate" in its text on Arena?

They've replaced Regenerate with the "Indestructable and tap" mechanic, and "destroy and can't regenerate" with exile. more or less.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

So when did they stop using regenerate on cards? Did they just think it was too fiddly, like mana burn?

Because regenerate is fiddly, and was designed around a world where damage went on the stack, more or less. Regnerate needing to be done before damage is applied and removing it from combat and all those other rules aren't things that people can wrap their heads around very easily.
Indestructible is very straightforward.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Why are half the cards crap they forgot to put in Amonkhet Remastered

Prolly cause they didn't want them showing up in draft?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Huxley posted:

No, it enters as a 13/13 with minus x already applied. So if you are at 20 life, he just immediately dies. No trigger to respond to (you can't like, giant growth him out of dying in response to his entering, he just IS a 13/13 with the minus applied).

If he's a 4/4 and you take 2 damage he immediately becomes a 6/6.

due to the way combat mechanics work, if death's shadow is a 4/4 and blocks something that will deal it 4 damage. and you take 2 damage in that combat, it will survive combat as a 6/6 with 4 damage on it before the game notices it's supposed to be dead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Adun posted:

How does this work for trample?

Let’s say it’s a 4/4 and blocks a 6 power creature with trample. Does it survive combat with or does it die and trample damage never gets assigned?

As mentioned, it depends. Your opponent can choose to deal four to the shadow and two to you, damage is assigned, and deaths shadow is now a six/six.
If they choose to deal all six to it, you take no damage and the shadow dies. The important thing is that deaths shadow's power and toughness are defined as x-your health total. So that value changing does not use the stack, it just happens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I've been playing more or less religiously since Avacyn restored and I have trouble remembering bant and esper and which one is which sometimes. Particularly bant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

wonder when we're going to see shard triomes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The main problem with Nephelim is that at their best they're simply "Okay". Dune brood is probably the best maybe? because it's effect doesn't require anything else to go off and what it does to the board state is permanent. Glint eye is the world's worst rummage effect and Ink-Treader basically screams "Cast a radiance spell on me and watch the gamestate explode."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

But enough about the Nate Silver Election Day Secret Lair

Fivey and a Half-Tails.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Funkdreamer posted:

Supposedly the latest bug is that Arena is merging the War of the Spark and Kaldheim draft queues

I hope to god this is true because it's hilarious

I love the censoring on the eyes, including Ajani's one good eye and the eye on bind the monsters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What did Antrazi do exactly?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hooplah posted:

what's this referring to? cards styles have never struck me as hard to deal with

Being able to set default styles like they just did with card backs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Am I the only one who's incredibly irritated that if they just swapped the black/green and blue/green guilds then they could have perfect color pairings around the key art, but they don't so it's wrong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I'm new and some of that news went a little over my head, so I'm hoping someone here will confirm my understanding.

There's a set being released here in a little under a month that will be available in Arena. The one after that will not, but then the D&D one will be available in Arena?

Also, does that mean that the 2021 base set will continue through into summer 2022?

Strixhaven is a Standard product, it comes out in arena on the 15th, the Paired commander 2021 product will not be in Arena.

Modern Horizons 2 is a Modern product, so it's only legal in Modern (Which isn't supported in Arena) so it's not coming to Arena.

D&D, Innistrad: Jacob Version, Innistrad: Edward Version are all standard products so will be in arena.

And D&D is taking the place of the "Core Set" this year.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What dual land cycle has been missing it's enemy pairs?

also

quote:

• a spell with three X’s in its mana cost

• a red sorcery that you can have as many copies in your deck as you want

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm guessing we'll get show lands or slow lands. Since we just had the tricycles and they're rotating out. and the Odyssey lands aren't modern legal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moravec posted:

I've got a few more spare prerelease codes for 6 packs—post if you take 'em!

AF577-56FB7-B1D2D-78A82-9B0AA
AF56A-D4171-8F1EE-797E8-05BCC
AF62F-99AB3-9DF30-A8F72-83FD8
AF62F-2F149-8925A-A725F-1B6F4

Grabbed that one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Exile isn't outside the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can cast mutate onto any creature except humans (which includes shapeshifters).

You choose either the new creature to be the top card ("mutate over") or the one that was on top already ("mutate under").

The creature on top of the stack's power/toughness and type counts, all the card texts combined count.

If you copy a mutate stack, you copy the text of the entire stack but it's just a single creature. It no longer recognizes how many time it has "mutated" for cards that care about that.