Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

wei posted:

That was just something I threw in there (on the off chance that we could activate World Tree more reliably) without carefully examining the mana. I think Feed's just better since you're going to play it later in most games anyway. Draugr Helm kinda fills the role of the Hammer anyway (5/5 menace Ravens should be difficult for the opponent to deal with) and both your tutors can fetch B. Normally I'd build the manabase to be more helpful but I've got my own pool to look at!

Thank you! Good luck with yours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Good luck to everyone who made it to day 2!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I really hope there will be a good reaction compilation for day 2. Showcasing all the streamers when they open 6 pathways and when they have to face a guy with 6 goldspans.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

deathsie at 6-0 with a disgusting koma deck, just beat a former world champ who also had a disgusting deck (varragoth, predator, eradicator valk)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I hope this event shows WOTC there is a lot of demand for limited tournaments. I don't even really like sealed but joined to give it a shot and even though I went 1-3 I had a good amount of fun.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It was interesting. I don 't regret playing in it, I just wish my games had been more competitive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SalTheBard posted:

It was interesting. I don 't regret playing in it, I just wish my games had been more competitive.

Yeah, really sucks when you're given rares with no real focus and no support and you go up against someone with 6 on-color rares, a pile of fixing, and a bunch of mythic uncommons.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Anyone seeing any weirdness? I just queued up for my second match, it took a minute and a half to find a match, and then as soon as the battlefield appeared, we drew.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

disaster pastor posted:

Anyone seeing any weirdness? I just queued up for my second match, it took a minute and a half to find a match, and then as soon as the battlefield appeared, we drew.

That isn't weirdness.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Liliana's Contract + Maskwood Nexus... is this anything in Historic?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

It’s cute but unless there’s a cheap way to dump both into play at the same time I don’t think so. Abrade is all over the place, too.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Scrubbed out at 1–2. Second round was winnable if I had been on the play game 1 (all three opponents got to decide, lucky them); Realmwalker was showing me the Poison the Cup sitting on top the turn I needed to use it. Third round, I blew myself out with a misclick game 1, and then game 2 was foretold Packmate into Esika's Chariot into Goldspan Dragon, and that was that.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, really sucks when you're given rares with no real focus and no support and you go up against someone with 6 on-color rares, a pile of fixing, and a bunch of mythic uncommons.

I haven't played a ton of the format, but it seems like the fixing is the big thing. Feels like the two-color decks aren't powerful enough to keep up (because there's a wider-than-usual gap between commons and uncommons in terms of quality), so it's all about having mana that lines up with your good (uncommon/rare) cards.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

that doesn't even combo because the demons have to have different names

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

I understand, but those could both go in a zombiedemon tribal deck as an alternate wincon.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

I understand, but those could both go in a zombiedemon tribal deck as an alternate wincon.

You still need some way of putting 4 different creatures into play, as well as playing two expensive do nothing permanents.

e: reread Contract and OK it's not that bad when you play it. Still think it's a big ask to make that work.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 21, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hey mom its 420 posted:

I think the goal is it turns the four different mana dorks or whatever you have on the field into demons.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

You still need some way of putting 4 different creatures into play, as well as playing two expensive do nothing permanents.

e: reread Contract and OK it's not that bad when you play it. Still think it's a big ask to make that work.
Contract is an eminently playable draw-4 to refuel, and you only need 3 other creatures. The incredibly high ask of "control 3 creatures" doesn't seem like that tall an ask in a historic deck. I just got into Diamond 4 so there's no risk to trying anything right now, so I'll throw something together and report my results.

Like I said, it's an alt-wincon beyond just "beat you to death with zombies" which is a very valid gameplan.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Bing bong that simple

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

fadam posted:

I think the goal is it turns the four different mana dorks or whatever you have on the field into demons.

ah i see, as usual, it turns out im the one that's retarded. oh well. might be fun with all 1-of creatures

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Having four different* creatures on the field simultaneously and being in a position where you’re not about to win through damage on turn 5ish doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen that much. The enchantment you can maybe make an argument about being a fine if unexciting reload, but the changeling artifact seems like it’s going to be dead and a wasted draw way more than it’s going to seal the game.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 21, 2021

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just had a red aggro deck actually legitimately play Tibalt's Trickery to counter my Tibalt planeswalker while I was playing my Sultai deck. Ended up casting Shadows' Verdict instead, which wiped out his already meager board.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CapMoron posted:

I just had a red aggro deck actually legitimately play Tibalt's Trickery to counter my Tibalt planeswalker while I was playing my Sultai deck. Ended up casting Shadows' Verdict instead, which wiped out his already meager board.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've seen a couple of Tibalts Trickery decks as I've been ranking up the ladder. I think I'm something like 2-3 against them. It irritates the gently caress out of me to lose to that stupid deck.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Is it possible to full control to draw with Throne of Death before it mills at the start of your turn? Or do your lands untap after it mills?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Crashed out 1 match away from the money, rip. Decent result for what I thought was an average pool and I got all my gems back from the 6 entries on day 1.

https://www.17lands.com/pool/affeb32f6f47446bb786940fb04b8f41

This was the main deck, Koll's kind of an awkward splash but I felt he was needed to grind out the durdle piles. Elven Bow or the 3/4 flash flyer were the other options for that slot.

https://sealeddeck.tech/bzO6gByBt7

This was the base of the grindier deck I would look at boarding into on the draw against other aggressive opponents. If the mana was better I think I would have gone with this as the main deck.
https://sealeddeck.tech/YdhubLIpl6

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Look Sharp! posted:

Is it possible to full control to draw with Throne of Death before it mills at the start of your turn? Or do your lands untap after it mills?

Untap is the first thing that happens on your turn, then upkeep, then draw. ToD triggers in upkeep and you should be able to respond to it if you have effects that function at instant speed and the resources to pay for them, but it always happens before you draw.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Look Sharp! posted:

Set an upkeep stop (click the little dot to the left of your avatars head) during your opponent's turn.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

I've seen a couple of Tibalts Trickery decks as I've been ranking up the ladder. I think I'm something like 2-3 against them. It irritates the gently caress out of me to lose to that stupid deck.

It's entirely down to luck. At least, win or lose, the game will usually be over quickly.

I had a game this morning where my opponent used Trickery to get a Dream Trawler, but I had a cheap Stonecoil Serpent out and those Trickery decks have no removal.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does this Izzet Goldspan deck match up well against anything? This is my biggest deck-crafting regret to date.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It feels super strong against almost anything that cant immediately answer (with a wrath) or go over the top of the dragon. The thing is, it is 100% a tempo deck and if you ever stumble on lands or flood you are 100% hosed.

Identifying and prioritizing what needs to be Stomp/Petty Theft bait and what can stay is also important but youve had a year to figure that out by now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Does this Izzet Goldspan deck match up well against anything? This is my biggest deck-crafting regret to date.

untapped seems to say 'lol'

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The meta has moved on and the deck is more or less dead in the water, sorry.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
on the plus side i think a playset of goldspan will probably be good for some deck before it rotates out given how effective it can be in limited

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Looks like it beats the grindy late-game decks but just isn't fast enough to compete against aggro, is my interpretation of those stats.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Play mono w if you want to do well in standard imo

flatluigi posted:

on the plus side i think a playset of goldspan will probably be good for some deck before it rotates out given how effective it can be in limited

Not sure if it’s optimal but I’ve been seeing it a lot in RG Adventures as a top end

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Mono w, mono r, or sultai ultimatum (heavy on ramp and board clears) are the places to be right now, imo.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
So Seasoned Halloblade is just difficult to remove right? Also why can you can attack with it and still tap it to give it indestructible? This seems different from back when I played with actual cards.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I haven't played either deck in a while, but what is emergent ultimatum doing to ever take a game off rogues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

So Seasoned Halloblade is just difficult to remove right? Also why can you can attack with it and still tap it to give it indestructible? This seems different from back when I played with actual cards.

It doesn’t tap to activate that ability it taps as a consequence of using the ability.