Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm very disappointed in the Chulaine precon but I'm excited to build a real deck with him eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Relin posted:

i've played it 5 times, it doesn't DO anything. no board presence, bunch of low pow/tuff minions. it just gets run over every single time... sure do have a bunch of lands though! hurray!

The key is to rebuy your etb effects with the commander's bounce effect. Stalling with forbidding spirit or blowing up all their poo poo with meteor golem until you can draw End-Raze Forerunners or Parhelion II/build up enough fliers with faerie formation is the whole game plan.

Also you will draw your finishers faster than you think since all of your creatures come with a free growth spiral.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Relin posted:

it's too slow. grats on your perfect draws and terrible draws for your opponent tho

All the decks are slow, the bant deck isn't special in that regard

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

Am I the only one that think brawl loving sucks? I'm probably just bad at it but no matter what deck I play I just get loving wrecked.

Its not so much brawl itself as the precons. If you've never played games with preconstructed decks from wotc before they almost universally have a bunch of suboptimal cards in them with a few good cards, which leads to really swingy games where it becomes about who top decked their actual good cards. Brawl isn't quite so bad since you always get access to your commander but its still that same familiar swingy precon environment.

I look forward to taking some of these commanders and constructing real decks around them though and am very glad we will have two more formats to play besides standard and limited. Here's hoping they work on implementing 4 player games so I can play multiplayer brawl with my friends that are spread out across the country.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Waffleopolis posted:

You think any of these brawl commanders will be usable in the new standard? I'd love to try to make a mrdu knights deck with some sir gwyns and a couple of colossus hammers and other equipment.

The Bant commander probably has the best shot, especially if you want to combine him with field of the dead and possibly Golos

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Simic is the "dick move" colors

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Goose is the new mana dork

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Im holding off on crafting anything before Eldraine drops but this tempting

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Questing beast was made to kill Teferi right down to being able to attack past a hero and its tokens.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I went on a pretty huge tear through the event with this deck:

4 Field of the Dead
1 Plaza of Harmony
1 Temple of Mystery
1 Thornwood Plaza
1 Island (335)
1 Forest (347)
1 Mountain (343)
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Gateway Plaza
2 Simic Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
4 Arboreal Grazer
4 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
2 Hydroid Krasis
1 Archway Angel
4 Growth Spiral
4 Guild Summit
4 Gates Ablaze
4 Circuitous Route
1 Command the Dreadhorde
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

(source:https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/going-under-the-defense-and-over-the-top-in-post-rotation-standard/)

Deck owns and will just run over 99% of the durdly do nothing decks with boardwipes and lifegain to insulate yourself from the aggro decks. Only issue I really ran into is that you have a huge problem with planeswalkers, Narset in particular. Without sideboards its harder to correct that but until we get those I probably recommend finding some way to slot a few Assassin's Tropies into the deck.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also Assassin's trophy is in the format which hits 90% of things

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chadzok posted:

Can't get a single Golos win past the All Cavalcade Event. tilting hard and can't stop the post.

Two things to keep in mind with the deck:

1. Your hand should either have a Gates Ablaze or a Grazer in the opener. Since this is best of one you should assume your opponent is playing an aggro deck when you make your mulligan decisions
2. Do not be afraid to have your golos search up Plaza of harmony for the lifegain. Its not ideal but you can also get thornwood if you are desperate.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Cavalcade will live forever :unsmigghh:

Notably the knight it buffs up will still trigger cavalcade if it had one power before being buffed up

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jabor posted:

It's called Bestow

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the green midrange deck of the future is sultai

Krasis is still around and murderous rider+Assassin's trophy make black very attractive.

Plus Goose loves being paired with Oko and sultai is a great shell for that combo.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
But t3feri hurts control more than anything else, turning off your counters and bouncing your win con sucks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

It looks fantastic, but just to make sure you know, next two sets are Theros 2 and Ikoria, Scandinavian monster assembly superstore

note: set may not actually be Scandinavian

Im getting a much stronger Kaiju movie vibe than Scandinavian vibe

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah with these super clogged up boards I dont think the small ball cavalcade decks are gonna cut it. The rakdos decks meanwhile have got some serious beef in the deck and some of the beef even has some efficient removal spells attached to them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Doom Foretold crushes these midrange decks so hard its actively embarrassing. Nissa is a complete joke in the face of it and even Tamiyo who, in theory, stops a ton of your sacrifice effects just gets bodied by your Oath of Kayas that you keep rebuying with Dance of the Manse.

Deck is incredible, though I have yet to go up against a real aggro deck with it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/C3NkRUmUBV4

The arena decklists boys talk about the first tournament results

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AngryBooch posted:

I found out mid game that Oko's elking ability hits artifacts but not enchantments yesterday morning. Yep, I need some main deck enchantment hate that isn't too narrow. Maybe knight of autumn.

I totally forgot Knight of Autumn was in this format and now I'm surprised more people aren't running it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think a green/white spell is kinda hard to fit in decks at the moment, but Bryan Gottlieb put three in his sideboard for today's fandom tournament.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2302210#arena

I dont think its that hard considering the Bant Ramp decks running around right now

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Stax actually was originally called The Four Thousand Dollar Solution because it was a very expensive way to beat decks that were prevalent at the time— T4K$S, which became $TAKS

Forgetting a key part of that story there

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The biggest weakness for the Golos deck is either an incredibly efficient aggro deck or some sort of combo deck that ends the game on the spot. Anything else is just going to get ground to dust beneath its infinite assault of zombies. So far I don't see any good aggro or combo decks but we still haven't fully explored the format yet, there are plenty of chances for something to pop up.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Torbran is basically the best 4 drop for any red deck ever and should absolutely close out the game when he resolves.

Hazoret is the best 4 drop for red ever made but other than that I agree

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ChrisBTY posted:

Why is the deck called 'Golos' and not 'Field'?

Its called "Golos Field" so im not sure what you're asking.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hoogland has played a RB knights list that seems incredibly aggressive and might be just the thing to get under Golos Field but I haven't seen many people talking about it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If Golos is in play its already done its job, destroying it doesnt solve that

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
An aggro deck whose weakness is "having blockers" and "playing some removal" is a bad aggro deck

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Field is such an absolutely messed up card in retrospect.

Having a card that generates a board presence with less than zero mana cost and an incredibly low opportunity cost is insane. This feels like a Skullclamp level fuckup.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

The most boring and hostile metas are the ones where the game always ends on turn 4, if RDW is the best deck in the format that means it's loving garbage.

Lol, enjoy playing golos mirrors for the next few weeks. Its exactly what you deserve.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

The most satisfying game of constructed I've played this season was dance vs golos, where I won because they had 6 cards left in their deck and none of them were lands so they conceded. I was not milling them.

I'd rather play five 20 minute games than twenty 5 minute games.

Dance vs Golos is one thing but the Golos mirror is actual torture to play.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

little munchkin posted:

counterpoint: there's nothing funnier than playing against someone with unmoored ego, ashiok, and shitloads of discard conceding to your 8/8 hydroid krasis

Golos is fun to play against other decks in the same way that its fun for some people to pull the legs off of insects but its not worth it for horrorshow that is the mirror. Its like pulling teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kawabata posted:

Ah, the sophisticated control mirror late game plays.

Nah Golos mirror isn't a control mirror, I've played plenty of those. Control Mirrors are defined by both decks constantly trying to disrupt each other while in the Golos mirror the two decks barely interact at all. Its almost deterministic, you could just flip over the top 20 cards of each deck and declare the winner right there after counting the fields, goloses and boardwipes.