Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I went 6-1 in the Brawl event with Faeries, only match I lost was to the mirror with my opponent on the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Does "Protection from [color]" prevent combat damage from that color? Does that mean that Questing Beast can be blocked by a Protection from Green creature and the blocker will die?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Huxley posted:

Protection prevents blocking.

I'm referring to a Protection from Green creature blocking Questing Beast.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Relin posted:

nevermind, i went 16-0 lmao. done with this poo poo

What deck were you using?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

New card from ReiderRabbit

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

Seems pretty versatile and each of those options could be useful. Flashing it in with Vial to save another of your creatures from removal is pretty good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

zoux posted:

What's the cheapest blink effect in Modern right now

Is Flickerwisp still played in Modern?

Edit: I don't know if you mean Modern-legal or cards that are actually being played in competitive Modern decks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Right but blink spells are bad cards a lot of the time, if you aren’t already ahead then you need stars to align to get value. Prince is good as a 2-drop on curve and seems to have gas in the tank at every stage of the game... and stoneforge mystic just got unbanned so...

Yeah the blink effect alone would not make the card particularly good. The option of Scry 2 is really nice though and is useful at any point in a game.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

How do you pick one of these 'at random'?

There are plenty of Magic cards that have you doing things 'at random'.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Reminder that if you've been keeping up with the daily/weekly xp gains since the season started you theoretically shouldn't need to do this Standard 2020 event to hit level 100.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 10, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like it says I'm at 12000 XP remaining to fill out the bar (I'm at 88), I've done my daily for today and my weekly XP is also checked off, do I really have enough time to hit 100

You should be fine. You have 15 more days of 500xp = 7500xp

You also have 2 more resets of 15 wins at 250xp each = 7500xp

That's 15k available xp without this event.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Went back to regular Ranked BO3 after losing a bunch to Cavalcade. First match I activate Golos revealing 3 Nexus of Fate. Opponent snap concedes the match.

I need to savor this while I still can.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Unless there's another infinite combo deck that becomes popular I don't see Deafening Silence getting played in Standard, sideboard or not.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Eej posted:

It completely blanks Phoenix and also owns Feather so...

It doesn't really own Feather and Phoenix won't be a deck anymore without Chart a Course and Tormenting Voice.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So the whole core set is rotating out in a few days? Sorry I just started up and wanna know if I should even bother getting packs at this point

The Ixalan sets + M19 + Dominaria are rotating out in like 2 weeks. All other sets are good for at least a year.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That is so much worse than Reckless Rage. It costs 2, is only Sorcery speed, and none of the creatures in Feather are Knights so it will usually not deal 4 to the opposing creature. You'd also have to make sure your own creature survives the fight.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GimmickMan posted:

It's not just weeklies. It's weeklies and dailies.

Who cares about dailies. You can still do quests in historic, which is nice.

I think I'm mostly fine with these changes because I tend to finish off my 15 weekly wins pretty early in the week anyways, so the rest of the week I can just play historic to do the daily quests.

Edit: The article also says Historic Ranked will count towards everything (dailies, quests, and weekly wins). So really if they just keep Historic Ranked up indefinitely, all our issues would be solved.

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 13, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Best thing about a bunch of Food in the format is that it makes mono-red worse.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The Goose on T1 into Oko T2 seems fast enough to me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

That gargoyle is real good.

I'd say it has the potential to be good, if someone can build the right mill/control type deck around it.

Grumgully I think will definitely see play in Standard. Makes Chandra, Acolyte of Flame insane and think of the synergies with like Skarrgan Hellkite, Legion Warboss, or Incubation Druid.

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 13, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

flatluigi posted:

so, who's a judge?

cast irencrag feat. in response, cast expansion copying irencrag feat. a copy of irencrag feat goes on the stack. can you cast another spell that turn?

the way my friends and I think it works is that at first it seems like you can, since copies aren't cast. then, it seems like you can't, since the copy says 'you can only cast one more spell' and it'll count the original irencrag as that spell. however, given that you've already cast both irencrags and are just resolving them, neither of them count as a spell you've cast after either irencrag resolved

it's some fun thinking though

I'm not a judge but I think you can copy and still cast another spell afterwards. Like you said the restriction doesn't go into effect until after the copy resolves. The original on the stack has already been cast, it's just resolving now so you haven't used up your additional cast for the turn.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Folio of Fancies + Narset seems pretty deece.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Could be decent in limited, but if you're going to put a 7 CMC card in your deck in Constructed, there are a lot more powerful/broken things you could be doing than dealing 7 damage divided among 3 targets.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Narset doesn't even stop Light Up The Stage, Experimental Frenzy, or Risen Reef. Not to mention Kethis combo which gets its massive card advantage through the graveyard. It's perfectly fine in Standard.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

That Lucky Clover is totally not busted in any way whatsoever and will not piss me off when this and Murderous Rider or Bonecrusher Giant wreck my poo poo.

It's an okay effect, unless your deck is like, entirely adventure creatures. Are you really going to devote 1+ slots in your deck to Lucky Clover, which does nothing on its own and only benefits maybe 4-8 other cards in your deck?

I can totally see it being decent in Limited, though, where adventure cards all seem pretty good in general.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

beedub posted:

I haven't seen any actual scapeshift in a long time, did everyone drop it for golos field? Is there a rationale there?

I never played Scapeshift but I picked up Golos recently and just hit Diamond with it in BO3.

With Scapeshift, you're basically all-in on the zombie plan, and one Legion's End can ruin it pretty easily. Golos gives you multiple angles of attack in addition to the Field plan. Once you start activating Golos, you're like 95% to win the game.

I won a game the other day where I was at 1 life, no cards in hand, my opponent had a million creatures + Nissa on board. I draw Golos, cast it, activate, it flips Nexus of Fate, Nexus of Fate, Circuitous Route. Opponent concedes shortly after.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I’m leaning towards playing some variant of green deck post-rotation. Questing Beast seems nuts, Nissa is still great, and Once Upon A Time just seems great at smoothing out awkward opening hands. Not sure what the best second color to pair it with will be...I really want to try out new Garruk so I hope some deck can make it work.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Based on what I've seen on the streams today, The Great Henge is an extremely good Magic card.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

A Moose posted:

So, seems like the very first thing you should craft is 4x Oko, 4x Goose. Anything else is objectively wrong. After that comes Questing Beasts, Brazen Borrowers, Murderous Riders, and Henges.

I've been playing Oko and yes it's insane, and I don't even think you should play Questing Beast in Simic Ramp. Wicked Wolf is stupid good with a bunch of food tokens from the Goose and Oko.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

A Moose posted:

Ok, now that we've established that, what shits all over simic? I saw a spicy Fires of Invention Jeskai Walkers deck that looks like it can overwhelm most decks with sheer value if it gets an early Fires. Then there's the Field of the Dead decks which didn't really get any worse.

If theres nothing that really shits on oko, we're in for a boring-rear end standard

The Esper Dance deck is probably good against it, since it won the tournament yesterday and had to beat a bunch of Oko decks to get there.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Performance since Throne release has been absolutely terrible. I know there's been complaints of this forever but I feel like this is a marked decrease in quality.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Played Golos against a Fires + Fae of Wishes deck in BO3 today and that deck was doing some pretty broken things with that combo. I ended up winning the match, but only because my opponent's time ran out. He had Nicol Bolas + Ugin + Oko + Chandra-6 on board and pretty much had me locked up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

Fires having a good matchup into golos will be a really big deal. Golos doesnt have a ton of bad matchups otherwise afaict.

Golos dies pretty hard to aggro in my opinion. I have much better success in BO3 vs BO1, due to 1) less aggro matchups and 2) No opening hand smoothing.

Edit: Additional Golos chat: Deck does not really need all 4-ofs in my opinion. I took out a Once Upon A Time, Realm-Cloaked Giant, and Krasis and replaced them with 2 Agent of Treachery + 1 Planar Cleansing. Treachery should definitely be mainboard in this current meta IMO, since Planeswalkers are still hard to deal with and this also makes Golos activations better. Also very useful in the mirror to take your opponent's Fields.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 1, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

My only big complaint about BO1 is that it so heavily encourages aggro decks due to hand smoothing and aggro obviously having a better G1 matchups against most decks.

Honestly if they just got rid of the hand smoothing, I'd be okay with it, to at least punish the 18 land decks or whatever.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dumb question: when I'm in the deckbuilder view where all the cards are laid out in CMC order, is there a way to add a copy of a card by clicking on it? I know that clicking on a card reduces its number, but I was wondering if there was a key to hold down or something to add a copy. Or do I have to search for it above and click on that to add a copy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have a poo poo ton of wildcards saved up- has the meta settled at all or should I still wait?

Wait until after the Mythic Championships.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Click on the number, which turns into a +1 when mouse'd over

This works in list view, but I was curious about the side-by-side view.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Argas posted:

When I did my run of the win every card event, my Golos Fields got rocked hard by a deck that just continually played Kaya's wrath, planar cleansing, doom foretold, oath of kaya, and other board wipers. And then they dance'd them back in twice, first time as creatures to knock me below 10 and second time as just enchantments but it was still enough.

That seems weird because Golos Fields has a great matchup against Dance. You usually don't have any non-token permanents to sacrifice, or if you do, they're not cards that matter.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

kater posted:

I just put together my first field deck. This seems strong. All I did was play Once Upon a Time and two Circus Routes.

I hope you didn't spend too many WCs on the non-Field cards. Field gets banned on Arena in 2 days.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

beedub posted:

The Simic Food hate is real. I think I just ran into someone running 4x bedevil, 4x murderous rider, 4x elderspell main deck.

I played against a deck playing multiple Aether Gusts and Noxious Grasps maindeck in BO3 ranked. That guy was clearly salty about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Casting Syr Konrad onto my opponent's board of 4 Persistent Petitioners, followed by a slight pause, then a snap concede, was some satisfying poo poo.

The Sean posted:

I can't pull up the client right now but isn't it just the cosmetic and you don't even get the card?

You get a copy of the card and the cosmetic.