Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I am glad that the same system that does nothing to prevent my opponents from rage roping every turn also times me out and passes the turn while I am legitimately performing actions. This is an excellent system and everyone responsible 100% deserves to still have a job in the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Now the matchmaker is disrespecting me by putting me up against what appears to be the Boros precon deck.

In fairness, I can't say I don't deserve it at this point, it's a pretty legit own

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Relin posted:

food shouldnt cost mana to pop for hp :/ that would make it viable as life gain

As I remember saying and I'm sure others have said or thought, it's pretty odd that the activation cost is the same for the "draw a card" mechanic as the "gain 3 life" mechanic. I don't think they'd cost those two riders equivalently in most other contexts.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I think Narset's passive is an excellent thing to have on a playable card, but I could buy that maybe it shouldn't be a blue card.

Then again, modern Magic is basically the five colors passing around the "be a blood-filled blister on the anus of the format" pipe, so I'm not sure what color you could put it in that wouldn't eventually end up being the fun police.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I actually think standard focusing on guild colors instead of wedges and shards will be fun, I’m sick and tired of playing against 3-4-5 color foodstuff in every match.

I’m 9-0 with Yarok today, I might earnestly hit Plat tonight

Man if you're already tired of playing against foodstuff I don't think you're gonna enjoy Eldraine standard :(

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

After realizing I'd made it to 100 without even thinking about it, I went back and bought the mastery pass with the gems I'd earned drafting with gold :toot:

Pretty neat that you can buy the mastery pass with F2P gems and come out significantly ahead once you factor in the gold, ICRs and packs you get for it. Shame my cat and lovely card styles will make me look like a dirty whale now, though :smith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's still about 20 minutes till the update hour and my last daily quest (the one I got this morning) stopped recording progress :argh:

e:fb

e2: I'm mad, not necessarily because I don't get four quests today (they didn't need to give three new quests at all) but because it randomly fucks me but presumably not others. I was at 18/20. If I'd managed to cast two more green spells before their arbitrary lockout, I'd have an extra 500 gold.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 26, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I suspect if you had a game where you cast one relevant spell you'd get to 19/20 and you aren't locked out at an arbitrary time (this issue happened to me hours ago) but nobody can finish their quest that started today and it'll just roll over to be finished after rotation.

I mean, I played more games afterwards and it still didn't budge. I admit I didn't try the galaxy brain approach of casting exactly one spell and then conceding, though. :v:

Sorry to hear it happened to others too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If I got the bug where I opened my green egg** but didn't get anything, did I actually get something but it just didn't show me what? Or am I going to have to wait for them to fix it?

**I read the posts in this thread and were like "okay, I better log in but not open my green egg" but apparently it shoves the green egg in your face without your consent when you log in and you have no choice but to click it. A++ design as always

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

I wish there was a "no planeswalkers" format. You know, so I could have fun playing a game of Magic again.

same except a "no opponents" format

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah it's the lazy push toward 2-3 mana that is making the card type suck.

They're supposed to be big splashy mythics and instead some shirtless dork shows up on turn 2 and starts baking pies.

I mean, mythics themselves are only big and splashy until they're a Disperse/Rishadan Airship split card.

Basically everything sucks and nothing matters. Buy more Collector Boosters.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Just had an opponent swing directly into my planeswalker with Questing Beast, two turns in a row :thunk:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Just to reiterate, countered adventures, adventures that get nullified via invalid targets, etc. go to the graveyard instead of the Adventure zone/exile.

Interesting. I wouldn't have assumed that, since the reminder text ("Then exile it.") is templated exactly the same way as Flashback, which obviously doesn't work that way.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

So the new random game feedback thing is 100% a psychological ploy to reassure players that they are heard and their feelings matter, right?

Because I can't possibly see how they can be extracting any useful information about what creates good or bad game experiences.

e: This is an exaggeration; I can contrive certain scenarios where you might extract some suggestive information (e.g., "wow, people tend to hate games more where Dance of the Manse is involved"), but there are still so many variables and confounding factors when you're just polling people on happy face vs. sad face. Taking that set of Dance of the Manse games, do you split out games where one player ropes a lot? Where emotes or pet colors get spammed? Where one player has the totally innocuous username of MAGAQ88?

vvv Fair, I'd been assuming it was random sampling.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 28, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

little munchkin posted:

nah gauging a player's immediate emotional response to stuff is important to the f2p model of trying to elicit emotional responses that are conducive to payers getting out their credit cards

It's obvious why a company trying to get people to spend money would want to try and evaluate what factors cause people to have a good time with their product. My point was that randomly sampling for happy/frowny face, without trying to sift out any specific factors, didn't seem to me like the best way of getting that information.

If it's not truly random sampling then that would make at least a little more sense.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

I would say it's fires of invention, a card which allows you to play two spells a turn.

I guess you could say that the deck's popularity is... catching fire!!! ahahahahahahahaha *begins coughing and hiccuping*

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Cheaper Vraska’s that can turn into a lifelink body later might be a little broken

It wouldn't be a strictly cheaper Vraska's, but it would be a strictly better Hero's Downfall, so yeah.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

So I got my first 6-0 in trad draft with a mill deck that I didn't even think was any good. Turns out that a decently strong play is just ignoring whatever dumb poo poo your opponent is trying to do (outside of tossing out So Tinys here and there) while you play Clover into a Secretkeeper or two, then, after they've managed to batter down your 0/4 walls, using Forever Young to do it some more.

I even played against two people with Midnight Clock and actually milled one guy out again after a successful Clock trigger.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Just need Legion's End but for nonbasic lands with non-mana abilities.

It would not be a bad idea for the Sowing Salt cycle to be evergreen in Standard. Change my mind.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm running on the unity ticket of "actually, it's bad for either mindless caveman decks or dual lands to be too strong". Please donate to my campaign.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Funkdreamer posted:

Pretty compelling tbh

I mean if we're going there, theres no shortage of examples re: segments of the working classes being dumb lovely people who are placated by having the opportunity to poo poo on others, even if it doesn't actually improve their own situation

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Kinda sucks that these metagame challenges are placed so early in the format. Gives you very little time to put together a deck unless you drop a bunch of cash on packs.

An inexplicable move on Wizards' part, to be sure :thunk:

e: to be clear, I am agreeing with you that it sucks and is bad

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gotta say it's pretty weird that they haven't implemented a simple right-click report system yet. That seems like extremely baseline functionality for a multiplayer online game in 2019.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

That's called "concede", as in hit the concede button. As opposed to "x out of the game so the opponent has to sit through all your ropes".

People who concede obviously shouldn't be penalized, but people who grief by roping and people who rage quit by alt-tabbing should be treated the same.

A lot of people (including myself) do use the term "ragequit" to refer to those sorts of concedes where they immediately concede to t2 thought erasure or whatever, so there's some potential for confusion there.

Kanfy posted:

I'll throw you a different one - It's the same as the old person in front of your grocery store line taking longer going through checkout than you. They're not being deliberately slow and they'd love to be fit and fiddle enough to get home as quickly as possible because they probably have other things to do too, but throwing them into a separate line - one for similarly old people, the disabled, and assholes who argue with the cashier and intentionally make everyone else wait - thus making their business take even longer merely so that you can be done faster is not in fact the appropriate solution to the problem.

I mean even in the case of old people it's not quite so clear-cut because you do have them making specific life choices such as "writing a check to pay for groceries" and "having the checkbook in a huge handbag full of crap".

There are a lot of variables involved in any of these cases but reasonable people can usually make a judgment on what an appropriate balance is between personal situation and consideration for other people.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 15, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

MTGA: Bot drafts are fine

also MTGA:

Stolen from reddit but yeesh

I really don't want to play this limited format

I actually was wondering earlier today if they'd done a bot update already, since the number of Secretkeepers falling from heaven seemed to have declined drastically.

Still a ton of So Tinys though.

I went 0-3 in a couple of ranked drafts because lmao bo1 variance, so I got salty and just ground out the rest of my daily games in unranked constructed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

axeil posted:

Too bad they don't really errata cards anymore. Oko is fine with the make a food as a +1 and the elk as a 0 or -1.

They still errata cards when necessary for them to work properly (due to a misprint or ambiguity), they just don't do functional changes via errata anymore.

Even when they did, I'm 99% sure it was never to do things like tweak numbers for power level; they changed Palinchron's untap clause (and most/all? of the other Urza block ETB effects) to only trigger if it was cast from hand, but they didn't and presumably wouldn't have ever done errata to make it a 4/4 instead of a 4/5, for instance.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jabor posted:

In recent history, they've erratad one of their commander cards for power level reasons, and a standard card purely for digital convenience.

Ajani's Pridemate isn't power level errata, as you mentioned. Not familiar with the commander example.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BioThermo posted:

It was Xantcha. They changed it so if Xantcha's controller loses the game, she no longer reverts to control of her owner but instead goes to exlie (the command zone).

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/oracle-changes-2019-09-27

That's interesting, thanks for the link. It's still not what I would call power level errata (unless there was a rash of people somehow taking advantage of this functionality difference, but if so I'd think the article would mention that; instead it just talked about how they came up with a better templating to make the effect work as intended).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Obviously we need a third button.

All Attack
No Attacks
Attack With Everything A Reasonable Player Would Attack With, All Else Being Equal

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone explain to me why Golos Field players are the slowest imaginable. Like the deck is basically play lands, then play more lands.

One thing that I can understand taking a few more cognitive watts is figuring out exactly which lands you should be searching for to get to 7. But that should be once per game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

So I've gone ahead and finished my playsets of both FotD and Oko, on the logic that either they'll be banned (and I'll get the WCs back and still be able to play them in Historic if I ever get the itch, so free value), or that they'll be good to have for Standard going forward.

Obviously, if they decide to ban them but no longer follow the precedent of reimbursing WCs for bans, I'm going to be extremely owned. So I hope that doesn't happen.

Anything else worth taking a flier on in that form? Is Golos worth crafting now?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Alternately, accept that someone who wants to draft may have to wait 2-3 minutes for a draft to fire and make actual drafting

:yeah:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

For all Wizards' corporate-capitalist sins (and there are many), they've built up a pretty good set of socially progressive bona fides. They already compared quite favorably to Blizzard when it comes to representation in game lore and to inclusion efforts among the playerbase.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oceanbound posted:

It’s hard to reconcile misogyny with how he arrogantly proclaims his wokeness on stream whenever possible. I guess he could be faking it but I don’t get the impression that he’s capable of faking anything very well.

The appearance of wokeness is not incompatible with hidden or unconscious biases. Especially when that wokeness is "arrogant" or being performed for an audience.

I have no particular reason to believe that's actually what's happening with Hoogland, as opposed to him being someone who tries to be good but also does dumb poo poo sometimes (which, let's face it, is every "good" person to some degree or another). Just pointing it out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

They should just swallow the cost as part of their own donation.

It's really disgusting when corporations try to dress something up as charity, when they're literally just shaking their customers down for donations and trying to take part of the credit for it, maybe even taking a cut of it like they are here.

It's like when I'm checking out at a fast-food restaurant or a CVS or whatnot and the PIN pad prompts me with "would you like to round up/donate a dollar to charity? :downs:" Why am I the one being expected to pony up ( :v: ) in this situation? If you want credit for a charity drive, how about instead you let me divert a dollar to charity from your executives' compensation packages every time I make a purchase, and I will windmill slam that poo poo every time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

This isn't true. Power Level Errata was standard practice along until Wizards changed their policy in 2006. The best example of this is the card Time Vault. The card's mechanics were fundamentally changed multiple times because lol Wizards.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/power-level-errata-b-gone-2006-07-14

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/evolution-of-magic-the-roller-coaster-called-time-vault

Or did I miss a /s somewhere?

That's sort of in a gray area between actually trying to change the power level vs. fixing an unintended interaction. I do tend to put it in the "power level errata" box (and the title of Forsythe's article suggests he agrees), but I don't think it's automatically nonsensical for people to think of it as an unintended interactions thing rather than power level, either.

You're Richard Garfield or whoever else helped with Alpha. You make a card whose purpose is to let players skip a turn now in order to get another turn later. As far as you are concerned, that's all you intend it to be able to do. Then later players figure out you can Twiddle it or do that Animate Artifact thing. This clearly increases Time Vault's power level, but it's also something that the card just wasn't supposed to do, in your mind, just like you just didn't intend Hostage Taker to be able to exile itself. (We are obviously applying two different sets of standards for templating diligence here, since once card was printed in 1993 and the other in 2018, but the principle is the same.)

If, hypothetically, all they had wanted was to change the power level of Time Vault while still letting it interact organically with untap effects, one can easily imagine them putting a rider on so that it deals damage to you whenever you tap it. That would obviously chop the power level way back down. It would also be a significant departure from the intention of the card as printed.

To bring this back to Oko, we're not dealing here with a case where Oko does something they had no idea he would do. They didn't ship Eldraine and then go "goddamn it, we didn't mean for him to be able to change your food tokens into Elk!" He does everything he's supposed to, in the ways he's supposed to; it's just that the numbers are too big. So pretty much any change to him would be unambiguously power-level errata. Which is why they won't do it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

fire the creative team, especially whoever said fairy tales were too cutesy

:yeah:

Lone Goat posted:

they also played that jace because it was a good card

I mean yeah, it's not a card you're embarrassed to play on its own merits, but I think the point is that removing/blanking JTMS was a significant part of the calculus for playing it as opposed to whatever other card draw might be competing for that slot. Which is true.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

it was played before JTMS was even printed...

I assumed we were talking about people's reasons for playing it in JTMS standards, since that was the context of the post you were responding to.

You are of course correct that people were not playing it to hose JTMS before JTMS was printed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

the person i responded implied that jace beleren was only played as a counter to JTMS

my point was that jace beleren was also played because jace beleren was a good card

Fair, I didn't read that implication in their post but again you're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Why bother spending them though? It's not like you get back more than you spent.

On top of what Kalli says, in the event he doesn't get banned in every format, you'll have free copies for Brawl or Historic or whatever.