Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm getting close to halfway through the fires of heaven and it feels like pretty much every chapter so far has been either Elayne or Nynaeve and I'm starting to pull my hair out. I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm getting close to halfway through the fires of heaven and it feels like pretty much every chapter so far has been either Elayne or Nynaeve and I'm starting to pull my hair out. I

Stop tugging your braid so hard.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Stop tugging your braid so hard.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

UltraRed posted:

Perrin going DBZ and magically jumping around TAN Is one of my least favorite parts of the series.
Agreed

This mostly bugged me cuz I always wanted to see Perrin bump into Egwene in T'A'R and have her start teaching him. Or even have her direct him to the Wise Ones who have to figure out how to fit a man who can dreamwalk into their teaching hierarchy. That could have been real fun.
Especially with the books having a bit of a "what if matriarchy instead of patriarchy?" theme. Having the first woman in a traditionally male dominated profession is a common enough story archetype, it would have been neat flip that and would have worked well in WoT I think.

Instead he does nothing of relevance or interest for 5 or so books then becomes the worlds best dreamwalker in what feels like an afternoon. Which was doubly annoying because the stuff we see him and Slayer doing makes their interactions from the Two Rivers story arch seem really inconsistent in retrospect. Slayer should have utterly destroyed Perrin back then based on what we see him able to do.

I'd admit "it's only a weave" was really good though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Spek posted:

Slayer should have utterly destroyed Perrin back then based on what we see him able to do.

Whatever the TAR version of training with weighted clothing is, I just assume Slayer was doing that after he got his rear end kicked by Perrin the first time. It makes the anime ending work better at least.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I finished AMoL yesterday and am still processing a lot of what happened. One thing I wanted to post about is related to all the wonky time stuff happening:

As each book in the series progresses, the elapsed time seems to come to a crawl related to Jordan going into lots of details on things that are sometimes important or sometimes forgotten.

Time dilation happens when Rand is battling Moridin and then the Dark One. So question: is the time slowdown all intentional throughout the series as the Dark One’s grip tightens or am I being generous to Jordan’s planning of the series?

Also so many people died. Sometimes it was sad and then others felt like throwaways. I was left wondering if some of the deaths would have been more momentous had they died leading up to AMoL or at least prior to the Last Battle.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Prairie Bus posted:

I think Jordan was going for something on the danger of small-c conservative thinking and ossified orthodoxy. Healing is a great (and historically appropriate) example - the Aes Sedai are locked into their lovely battlefield Healing through a fear of the one power, the legitimate danger, and the force of tradition. Then Nynaeve (and eventually Sumiko) comes from outside the orthodoxy like a bolt of lightning to dramatically change how healing is done entirely. In the real world, western medicine orthodoxy was stuck on Galen’s / Ibn Sina’s theory of the humors for centuries.

I’ve been thinking a little bit about how Rand and the prophecy of the dragon more generally fit into the concept of creative destruction. At the start of the books, Jordan keeps mentioning that every nation is unable to exert its laws far beyond its capital and that most nations are in decline. The prophecies focus on how much Rand will destroy, and he caused chaos in every nation he went to by destroying the old orthodoxy. But that chaos was usually followed by beneficial changes for the people. Cairhien was nearly swallowed by rioting and famine after Rand made the game of houses collapse in on itself, but he was able to build strong institutions following that period of unrest. Cairhien came out of it as a strong city (even though it was swallowed by Andor).

I think that may have been the reason for "the Dark One was not the enemy, amd never had been."

I think he intention was that Shai'tan is not the embodiment of evil, he is the embodiment of destruction to mirror the Creator. Killing the Dark Ome removed conflict frpm the world, and thus eliminated the chance for what you call "creative destruction".

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Gnoman posted:

I think that may have been the reason for "the Dark One was not the enemy, amd never had been."

I think he intention was that Shai'tan is not the embodiment of evil, he is the embodiment of destruction to mirror the Creator. Killing the Dark Ome removed conflict frpm the world, and thus eliminated the chance for what you call "creative destruction".

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good read. I'm excited to get to that point of my re-read.

I just got to the part with Lord Ramshalan in TGS and it really shows where Sanderson excels. Rand's plan makes a lot of sense (even if it's a little evil) and uses the rules of the system in a creative way. A good bit of plotting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

More than a little, I'd say! Plus, it didn't work, he was too clever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I like how that shows just how sharp Graendal actually is. The instant she gets wind of all that Power she bails. No matter what Rand might have been doing, it wouldn't have been good for her.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

what exactly causes the big famine in the dragon reborn? I thought it was just the dark ones influence making the crops go bad but a few people have alluded to it being Rands fault?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlesThunder posted:

what exactly causes the big famine in the dragon reborn? I thought it was just the dark ones influence making the crops go bad but a few people have alluded to it being Rands fault?

He was responsible for burning down the Cairhien grain houses in TGH, right?

E: vvv it’s been a couple months. I’d guess it was a result of the power vacuum - no one was at the top organizing food for the poor, lower nobility was squabbling, and the civil war was preventing any serious trade.

Prairie Bus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 7, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Prairie Bus posted:

I thought I just read near the end of TDR somewhere that cairhien couldn't buy any grain and the grain sat in the silos.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's probably some weird poo poo going on to mess things up overall, honestly. in CoT there's the part where perrin and co. go visit that weird town where they're seeing ghosts everywhere and everyone is basically sickly-looking, and when they go to the warehouse to check the grain they want to buy it turns out like half the total mass is made up of weevils basically.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's probably some weird poo poo going on to mess things up overall, honestly. in CoT there's the part where perrin and co. go visit that weird town where they're seeing ghosts everywhere and everyone is basically sickly-looking, and when they go to the warehouse to check the grain they want to buy it turns out like half the total mass is made up of weevils basically.

My read was that was the Dark One’s second serious attempt at starving out the world after the year without a winter failed. Same reason there were more rats everywhere and Keepings and wards on the Tower started failing - the prison was weakening and he could exert himself on the world to a greater degree.

E: yup, I was wrong. Tied to the land. I’m a couple hours out from the end of TGS, looking forward to that.

Prairie Bus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 7, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well they say that a lot over the last few books. I like the moment he becomes Jesus and is walking by some dieing orchard and the trees start producing. They just stare at him like alright my dude we’re gonna follow you. That’s how the dragon reborn should come across as.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
All the food rots because Rand is losing the plot and the land reflects him. Then all the food turns out to be fine after Veins of Gold? I don't really remember that well.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
there are to events that stop the famine. the first is the bowl of the winds. the second is the land mirrors rands mental health. the land springs back before the last battle

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I really liked the moment in TGS where Rand is wandering into Bandar Eban and a balcony collapses and he thinks to himself well, there's always balance to that and BAM second balcony collapses

It's a really great 'poo poo is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked' moment

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
In-universe, the Prophecies of the Dragon say "There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he is one with the land." Out-of-universe, it's a riff on the Fisher King, an Arthurian character whose incurable wound was reflected in the sorry state of his land. It depends on the version, but the Fisher King is usually healed through the forgiveness of Jesus. Although Rand has incurable wounds on his side, the relevant wound here is his PTSD, which he heals by forgiving himself on Dragonmount (because Rand is Jesus).

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CharlesThunder posted:

I think the famine in TDR is because of the war in Ghealdan

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The famine in Carhien is because all of the farmers abandoned their farms along the dragonwall after the Aiel war and the entire nation has been on the verge of famine for twenty years, saved only by expensive royal grain barges: a system that break down entirely when the King dies.

Illian, Murandy, Ghealdan, and Altara have food shortages caused by local political instability; Logain's uprising, the Seanchean invasion, and dragonsworn bandits, so it is at least partly Rand's fault.

In other news, my re-read is now up to Path of Daggers, and I had forgotten that this book is 40% Elayne, 40% Faile, and 0% Mat. Send whiskey and pray for my soul.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Spek posted:

Agreed

This mostly bugged me cuz I always wanted to see Perrin bump into Egwene in T'A'R and have her start teaching him. Or even have her direct him to the Wise Ones who have to figure out how to fit a man who can dreamwalk into their teaching hierarchy. That could have been real fun.
Especially with the books having a bit of a "what if matriarchy instead of patriarchy?" theme. Having the first woman in a traditionally male dominated profession is a common enough story archetype, it would have been neat flip that and would have worked well in WoT I think.

Instead he does nothing of relevance or interest for 5 or so books then becomes the worlds best dreamwalker in what feels like an afternoon. Which was doubly annoying because the stuff we see him and Slayer doing makes their interactions from the Two Rivers story arch seem really inconsistent in retrospect. Slayer should have utterly destroyed Perrin back then based on what we see him able to do.

I'd admit "it's only a weave" was really good though.

I don't know how much Egwene could have really taught Perrin though. His understand of TAR is very instinctual and combat-focused, and he is pretty much the most powerful combat dreamer as early as Shadow Rising(other than Slayer). Egwene could never have done "it's only a weave" because she views things from the perspective of a channeler so to her balefire is the ultimate weapon. The Wise Ones could own him but that's because they wouldn't fight fair.

What Egwene could have helped him with is the TAR-adjacent stuff like interpreting dreams and visions, but none of that is ever that important to Perrin. Also I agree that Slayer should have easily wrecked Perrin in Shadow Rising but that can be attributed to Sanderson doing his thing in the later books.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Plus the whole series starts with that terrible neverending winter

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's whiplash from long winter->(period that is mostly glossed over because Rand and Company spend 6 of the 9 non winter months stuck in a portal stone alternate timeline fugue)->normal winter->long forever summer drought pushed by the Dark One->Bowl of the winds induced turbo winter->spring where nothing blossoms because Rand is a shellshocked mindfuck victim->revelation time and brief recovery.

Prairie Bus posted:

E: vvv it’s been a couple months. I’d guess it was a result of the power vacuum - no one was at the top organizing food for the poor, lower nobility was squabbling, and the civil war was preventing any serious trade.

Rand doesn't torch Cairhein himself, but after going to the party at Barthanes' place and snubbing the king, the king has thugs follow Thom to beat information out of him and kill his girlfriend/apprentice. Thom then (offscreen) assassinates the king and tosses Cairhein in to the civil war that wrecks it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thom :allears:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The description of him with this awful grin on his face as he goes off to kill the king...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
One of the best bits about Mat's run from Ebou Dar with Tuon is the chapters you get from the Seanchan perspective where they conclude that obviously Thom is the brains behind everything that's happened to them, and that he's the White Tower's master spy/assassin/fixer. Right down to the scene when they finally meet up with Mat after he's re-united with the Band, and the Deathwatch guards are all getting those funny responses of "Wait, you want to see *Thom?* Uh, sure, ok, I guess, here he is."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

God that bit is so good

The thing is in any other company at all, they'd be dead right and Thom would be the man to watch

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"General Merrilin, you have fought a brilliant campaign..."

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Thom’s continued weariness as taverens taveren him is my favorite part of the character. Just imagining the offscreen Loony tunes style hijinx as he tried unsuccessfully to get away and then coincidentally found himself back in the thick of it is great. Similar to the battle where mat tried to find a way out to safety and being taveren meant it just wouldn’t work.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
the grain was fine all along, they were merely opening the wrong sacks!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Brolander posted:

the grain was fine all along, they were merely opening the wrong sacks!

Came here to post this. That was one of my favorite bits for being so subtle. It was a great way to explain miracles and statistics.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked every once in a while Mat would realize he was taverening and would try to get away. Then immediately taverens himself back, realizes it, and slinks off like Charlie Brown to accept his fate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

I liked every once in a while Mat would realize he was taverening and would try to get away. Then immediately taverens himself back, realizes it, and slinks off like Charlie Brown to accept his fate.

Its the daughter of the nine moons, Charlie Brown

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Grinwell parents have been cast along with some new character called Dana, so at least some of the Caemlyn road sequence is happening. The casting call for Else is gonna be fun - I bet they just have them stare at a shirtless guy and react.

https://www.cbr.com/wheel-of-time-casts-three-more-characters/amp/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The best part is that she shows up again in book 3 for like, one scene.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i forget which book it is, maybe like winter's heart or the book before it, but iirc else is relevant again because one of the forsaken imitates her to drop off a message in the white tower or something? which sets off alarm bells in the target's head because else supposedly left a while back or something. i dunno, the details are a bit hazy.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i forget which book it is, maybe like winter's heart or the book before it, but iirc else is relevant again because one of the forsaken imitates her to drop off a message in the white tower or something? which sets off alarm bells in the target's head because else supposedly left a while back or something. i dunno, the details are a bit hazy.

It's book three.

Else shows up on the farm in book 1, then appears as a Novice in the White Tower briefly in book 2, then Lanfear uses her as a disguise when delivering a message to Egwene and Nynaeve in book 3, not realizing (or not caring) that Else had been sent packing back home as a ditz several weeks earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Gawyn in Towers of Midnight is giving out serious "gently caress up ex-boyfriend from high school" energy.