Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's book three.

Else shows up on the farm in book 1, then appears as a Novice in the White Tower briefly in book 2, then Lanfear uses her as a disguise when delivering a message to Egwene and Nynaeve in book 3, not realizing (or not caring) that Else had been sent packing back home as a ditz several weeks earlier.

dang, i was way off on that. poo poo starts to bleed together after a point. i could have sworn that it was at least approaching books 7 or 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Perrin was great in TSR, he was great at Dumai's Wells, but from then to at least the early sections of ToM he's awful. He's been stuck in a cycle of taking down his banner and learning why he shouldn't from Book 4 to Book 13. He's constantly being an rear end in a top hat to everyone, even after KoD. I sort of remember him improving in ToM, but he's been such a drag.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He definitely rounds a corner when he accepts who he is, it just takes like 6 too many books to get to.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I had forgotten, but it's kind of hilarious how, after making a disastrous deal with the Sea Folk and loving up Aes Sedai standing with the Kinsfolk, both Elayne and Nynave manage to gently caress off and avoid dealing with any other Aes Sedai for the rest of the books until they both attain political standing that will forever prevent them from receiving any punishment from the White Tower. It's a real Trumpian move.

Prairie Bus posted:

Gawyn in Towers of Midnight is giving out serious "gently caress up ex-boyfriend from high school" energy.

There's a bit when he first pops up at the White Tower in book 2 where Gawyn very explicitly spells out his hierarchy of allegiances (to protect Elayne, to serve Andor, , to support Egwene, etc.) and by the end of the series he's betrayed every single one of them, in that order. He is such a useless little poo poo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I had forgotten, but it's kind of hilarious how, after making a disastrous deal with the Sea Folk and loving up Aes Sedai standing with the Kinsfolk, both Elayne and Nynave manage to gently caress off and avoid dealing with any other Aes Sedai for the rest of the books until they both attain political standing that will forever prevent them from receiving any punishment from the White Tower. It's a real Trumpian move.

Given that Cadsuane probably ends up as Amyrlin Seat after the end of the books and that Nynaeve at least is still part of the White Tower hierarchy, I imagine some sort of retribution will fall on them before too long.

There's a bit when he first pops up at the White Tower in book 2 where Gawyn very explicitly spells out his hierarchy of allegiances (to protect Elayne, to serve Andor, , to support Egwene, etc.) and by the end of the series he's betrayed every single one of them, in that order. He is such a useless little poo poo.

I got nothing. Dude doesn't even succeed on his final suicide mission. He really is a useless little poo poo.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Given that Cadsuane probably ends up as Amyrlin Seat after the end of the books and that Nynaeve at least is still part of the White Tower hierarchy, I imagine some sort of retribution will fall on them before too long.

Nynaeve is the crowned queen of the reconstituted nation of Malkier at the end of the series. And while, in theory, the Amyrlin Seat can issue penance to any Aes Sedai even if she is a queen, I'd really like to see her try to enforce it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gawyn Literally fails at everything. It could have been a tragic story but he’s mostly a whiney baby so nobody likes him.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm still convinced that Gawyn and Elayne are send ups of the fantasy prince and princess. They're comically inept and stubborn due to their upbringing and position in life. I can't imagine it wasn't intentional on Jordan's behalf.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

jng2058 posted:

I would like to read about them trying to make Nynaeve do anything she doesn't want to do while Lan is alive and breathing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lan and Nynaeve are the best power couple, then Mat and Tuon, followed by Berelain and Galad.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I never realized how early Nyneave fell for Lan until I started the EOTW audiobook.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s like early book one. It is a little weird since he’s old enough to be her grandpa. But he’s a solid beef boi so who wouldn’t?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s like early book one. It is a little weird since he’s old enough to be her grandpa. But he’s a solid beef boi so who wouldn’t?

feel like that romance will actually be significantly less weird in the tv show, since the age difference is like 14 years for the actors instead of like.... 25 years? in the books

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Lan's not quite that old; he's in his forties in book 1, and she's in her twenties, so still ewww. Lan's only a few years older than Moraine, it's just that he's been a raging badass since the age of 14. so he seems older.

And the best power couple is Siuan + Morraine, pillowfriends 4 life.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 10, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Thom and moraine are pretty great too fwiw.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Anias posted:

Thom and moraine are pretty great too fwiw.

:wrong:

I will never like this pairing, you can't make me! :argh:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

How are u posted:

:wrong:

I will never like this pairing, you can't make me! :argh:

Just imagine the stories of insane things they have seen and done they can reminisce over together

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

jng2058 posted:

She'll die of old age halfway into her inauguration and the Aes Sedai will overreact picking the youngest Aes Sedai of standing they can find who is, of course, Elayne. Crippling the Aes Sedai for generations

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Spek posted:

She'll die of old age halfway into her inauguration and the Aes Sedai will overreact picking the youngest Aes Sedai of standing they can find who is, of course, Elayne. Crippling the Aes Sedai for generations

I can't remember, did Elayne actually swear on the Oath Rod? Because if she didn't then they'd be dealing with the consequences of that for a long time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't remember, did Elayne actually swear on the Oath Rod? Because if she didn't then they'd be dealing with the consequences of that for a long time.

I don't think so. Nynaeve did after being tested to full Aes Sedai, but Elayne was pregnant at the time and wouldn't have risked the babies.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Isn't the plan to have Aes Sedai retire into the Kin and get released from their oaths and the death sentence that entails? I mean, of course, Elayne always gets to be the exception to everything, but they're going to have plenty of old lady channelers around either way.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

I don't think so. Nynaeve did after being tested to full Aes Sedai, but Elayne was pregnant at the time and wouldn't have risked the babies.

A curious excuse for her now that I think about it, considering she justified all her other bad ideas with "the babies will be fine, Min saw it and is never wrong."

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lord Awkward posted:

A curious excuse for her now that I think about it, considering she justified all her other bad ideas with "the babies will be fine, Min saw it and is never wrong."

I had never thought about that, but if it’s true that she skipped the oath rod with that excuse it’s perfect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Anias posted:

Just imagine the stories of insane things they have seen and done they can reminisce over together

Jesus, those two could shape entire continents

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The first signs show up soon after she tracks him down after leaving Emond's Field, and it gets pretty blatant after Shadar Logath. I didn't notice it at all my first time through, and on rereads didn't see it until Fal Dara.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just got to the point in the reread where Perrin flips the switch and turns into a dude who constantly pisses off his wife despite clear cultural instructions and the magic ability to read emotions :(

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Isn't the plan to have Aes Sedai retire into the Kin and get released from their oaths and the death sentence that entails? I mean, of course, Elayne always gets to be the exception to everything, but they're going to have plenty of old lady channelers around either way.

That was certainly Eqwene's plan but with her dead who knows whether it'll happen or not. I don't remember her telling anyone other than Suain. And maybe Elayne and Nyneave?

Plus we don't really know how death from Oath Rod induced old age works I don't think. Do you just drop dead from seemingly perfect health? Or do you feel it building up so you know when to retire? Do you basically have to go "well I'm a power level 5(+8) channeler and so should live roughly 650 years and I'm approaching 320 so I guess I should unswear on the rod sometime in the next few years"

And we don't even know if that would work. We know people who swear on the rod live roughly half the lifespan but we don't know if releasing the oaths actually just undoes all that or if essentially every year you lived under an oath aged you twice as hard as it else-wise would have. The former seems to be assumed by the few characters in the books who think about it, but the latter makes way more sense to me. And they really wouldn't have any way of knowing for sure until the first Aes Sedai unswears at 300 years or whatever. Or they track down one of the remaining forsaken and ask them I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lord Awkward posted:

i don't think it's much of a stretch that maybe the thing that halves the lifespans of anyone under its influence could potentially shorten the lifespan of any kids that they're pregnant with at the time of using it, and since they'd probably be born relatively fine it wouldn't exactly contradict that viewing

like i get that some people really want to do the whole conspiracy corkboard song and dance of 'everything is elayne's fault and i hate her and will say this in literally every post' but come on

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Spek posted:

That was certainly Eqwene's plan but with her dead who knows whether it'll happen or not. I don't remember her telling anyone other than Suain. And maybe Elayne and Nyneave?

Plus we don't really know how death from Oath Rod induced old age works I don't think. Do you just drop dead from seemingly perfect health? Or do you feel it building up so you know when to retire? Do you basically have to go "well I'm a power level 5(+8) channeler and so should live roughly 650 years and I'm approaching 320 so I guess I should unswear on the rod sometime in the next few years"

And we don't even know if that would work. We know people who swear on the rod live roughly half the lifespan but we don't know if releasing the oaths actually just undoes all that or if essentially every year you lived under an oath aged you twice as hard as it else-wise would have. The former seems to be assumed by the few characters in the books who think about it, but the latter makes way more sense to me. And they really wouldn't have any way of knowing for sure until the first Aes Sedai unswears at 300 years or whatever. Or they track down one of the remaining forsaken and ask them I guess.

Didn't Siuan and Leane look noticeably younger, even compared to their "ageless" Aes Sedai looks, once they were stilled, and thus freed from the Oath Rod's binding oaths?

Fake edit: I initially wrote Lelaine instead of Leane, but realized I only had to delete two letters without rearranging them to get the correct name. Jordan really did have a habit for giving characters very similar names.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, look, people in real life have similar or identical names, I've really not understood this complaint.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You make up names for 1000 people and see how it works out!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'll cop to it: I don't even try to keep track of 90% of Aes Sedai when i read these dang books, and the characters all kind of blend together.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Spek posted:

One thing I picked up somewhere, maybe in this thread, that never occurred to me and which I love for post-AMoL theorizing: [spoiler]Nynaeve will be Amyrlin at some point, not simply because of Aes Sedai deference to strength, but because she's a healer and the Tower really needs healing.[spoiler]

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

silvergoose posted:

I mean, look, people in real life have similar or identical names, I've really not understood this complaint.

people also take dumps but it would be weird if RJ spent a lot of time describing bowel movements. books aren't real life

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Vavrek posted:

One thing I picked up somewhere, maybe in this thread, that never occurred to me and which I love for post-AMoL theorizing: [spoiler]Nynaeve will be Amyrlin at some point, not simply because of Aes Sedai deference to strength, but because she's a healer and the Tower really needs healing.[spoiler]

when I think canny political operator I think nynaeve

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
All sitters better get used to the taste of sheep dip or whatever the gently caress she used to wash out disrespectful mouths.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

at the end of AMoL they wanted that old rear end Aes Sedai to be and in the prequal I believe it's shown that she can hurt/lie so probably never took the oaths. The oaths/tower will probably end anyway regardless of who's at the seat. Black tower and Seachan and all not being bound.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think it's much of a stretch that maybe the thing that halves the lifespans of anyone under its influence could potentially shorten the lifespan of any kids that they're pregnant with at the time of using it, and since they'd probably be born relatively fine it wouldn't exactly contradict that viewing

like i get that some people really want to do the whole conspiracy corkboard song and dance of 'everything is elayne's fault and i hate her and will say this in literally every post' but come on

It was really just an idle thought, but I mean you could also apply this to a bunch of other stuff that she did anyway like continuing to poke at unknown ter'angreal while pregnant, getting caught by the black ajah while pregnant, etc.

awesmoe posted:

when I think canny political operator I think nynaeve

Regally staring down all the Sitters in the Hall of the Tower while they argue but it's actually because 99% of her concentration is on keeping her hands off her hair

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder if it’s a coincidence that tar valon looks like a vagina in the maps

e: I’m desperately trying to find a description of the black tower as eg having a long rectangular field with two circular courtyards at one end

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Didn't Siuan and Leane look noticeably younger, even compared to their "ageless" Aes Sedai looks, once they were stilled, and thus freed from the Oath Rod's binding oaths?

Fake edit: I initially wrote Lelaine instead of Leane, but realized I only had to delete two letters without rearranging them to get the correct name. Jordan really did have a habit for giving characters very similar names.

Siuan and Leanne looked younger after being stilled, but that's a separate thing from the oath rod. Several Aes Sedai over the course of the novels (and all black ajah) unbind from the oath rod without getting younger, so we know that just not being bound doesn't remove the ageless face effect.

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, the black ajah also immediately reswore oaths to the Dark One on the rod, so maybe there's a time lag before the ageless face goes away if you don't swear further oaths. It's unclear.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 11, 2020