Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

From Jordan:

Ok, so you can't shield someone out of a circle, and it's really hard to shield a circle. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok, I just finished book 6, and need some help deciphering what the gently caress actually happened?

So what exactly happened here, in less flowery prose? Rand sees Sammael, with the fog growing above him. Sammael steps to the side (to avoid the fog, I assume). Rand gets made and starts to channel, but sees Liah being poked by fog. Rand then shoots her with the balefire instead (?), and sweeps the laser across the area, but stops before he hits the fog. The place where Sammael was is now engulfed in fog (?), and Rand is sure that means Sammael is dead.

I'm avoiding spoilers as to future books, but that entire sequence is just confusing to me. Why did Rand zap Liah? Why didn't he zap the fog (that would have saved her)? Why does that action cause Sammael to be absorbed in the fog, when clearly he was avoiding it before? It even says "He had come here to kill one of the Forsaken, but instead he had killed a woman he had abandoned here to her fate," which seems to be in direct contradiction to his previous claim he knows Sammael is dead.

Like at the end of the day all of the Forsaken that have died kind of went out like chumps, but this seems to be just silly. Sammael supposedly planned the confrontation in Shadar Logoth, but he just walked in and got eaten? Rand's actions with balefire don't seem to have any influence on Sammael's demise.

If he zaps the fog it undoes the past up to a certain point and that would mean it brings Sammael back to life as well as Liah. There's no guarantee she's not already corrupted so saving her isn't a sure thing and he can't risk letting Sammael win or escape. There's no clean victory, so he has to do what he can with balefire and hope for the best.

IIRC RJ confirmed that Sammael is dead so it's not a loose end but Rand doesn't know that

Also by that point Rand already has plans for Mashadar. It's one of those decisions where there are no clean victories.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok, I just finished book 6, and need some help deciphering what the gently caress actually happened?

So what exactly happened here, in less flowery prose? Rand sees Sammael, with the fog growing above him. Sammael steps to the side (to avoid the fog, I assume). Rand gets made and starts to channel, but sees Liah being poked by fog. Rand then shoots her with the balefire instead (?), and sweeps the laser across the area, but stops before he hits the fog. The place where Sammael was is now engulfed in fog (?), and Rand is sure that means Sammael is dead.

I'm avoiding spoilers as to future books, but that entire sequence is just confusing to me. Why did Rand zap Liah? Why didn't he zap the fog (that would have saved her)? Why does that action cause Sammael to be absorbed in the fog, when clearly he was avoiding it before? It even says "He had come here to kill one of the Forsaken, but instead he had killed a woman he had abandoned here to her fate," which seems to be in direct contradiction to his previous claim he knows Sammael is dead.

Like at the end of the day all of the Forsaken that have died kind of went out like chumps, but this seems to be just silly. Sammael supposedly planned the confrontation in Shadar Logoth, but he just walked in and got eaten? Rand's actions with balefire don't seem to have any influence on Sammael's demise.

I'm half asleep so apologies if I miss something but, in order (ish):

First that's book 7, not 6. I was confused when you started describing it because I was all ready to talk about the ending of Lord of Chaos because the ending of Lord of Chaos owns.

Second: Sammael isn't doing enough to avoid the fog. Mashadar moves fast, sometimes. The line is "Sammael peered into the darkness lying across the square, and Mashadar oozed out of the windows, thick billows of silver-gray fog sliding together, merging as they loomed above his head. Sammael walked a little to one side, and the wave began to descend, slowly picking up speed as it fell." Which to me reads like Mashadar is accelerating as it approaches Sammael. Rand wants to kill Sammael personally, though.

Third: Rand hears Liah shrieking, taking his eyes away from Sammael. He sees Mashadar touch Liah and concludes that he has just witnessed her death. Two points on using balefire to save her: One, it's not certain that zapping the cloud of fog next to Liah would re-do the causality of her getting poked by the fog. Like, if each piece of the fog is separate then the part that touched her isn't the part that's hanging out a foot away from her, but if all the fog is a singular whole then you'd need to kill all of Mashadar, or maybe it's yet a third idea, leading to: I don't think characters strategically think about the use of balefire like that. I kind of think they should, especially after seeing Mat and Aviendha alive, but it's also a kind of abstract logic metagaming technique that doesn't necessarily occur to people. I could kind of see Mat coming up with the idea if somebody explained balefire to him, maybe. He might be the right kind of unorthodox thinker. But Rand's been thinking of it just as "this is what ultimately, 100%, no questions asked will kill someone." So to spare her the fate of being consumed by Mashadar, Rand zaps Liah out.

Fourth: He then swings the beam down to the square where he was looking at Sammael before and sees it covered with the fog, so he stops to go "huh?" and draw conclusions: the fog was accelerating toward Sammael, then Rand takes his eyes off Sammael for very short interval of time, and when he looks back the fog is covering the entire area where Sammael was standing. The fog covers a greater area than where Sammael could have run to in that time and Rand felt no gateway. Everything, from Rand's POV, points to Sammael having just gotten ganked by Mashadar while Rand was looking to the side for a second.

Fifth, clarifications: Nothing Rand did had an impact on Sammael dying in this scene. I think Sammael was probably just underestimating Mashadar, or it crept up on him in a blind spot. He may not have realized just how dangerous Shadar Logoth is. The reason Rand's narration says "instead" is because he had no real part in Sammael's actual (apparent) death: he had a brief moment when he could have killed Sammael and he was about to, but in that instant he was distracted by Liah and, with almost no contemplation of the act, mercy-kills her.

Sixth, commentary: On the Forsaken going out like chumps so far: Yeah, kinda. My favorite might be Aginor, who just sort of ... walked up, yelled at Rand, and then burst into flames. For non-chumps, I do like Rahvin's death. You have an extended pursuit in the world of dreams, with the two fighting both using the power and dream-rules. Nynaeve bathes Rahvin in fire and his response is to turn and stare at her while he is on fire, and it's only the combination in timing of Rand coming up and dealing out balefire right then that saves them both. Like, if Nynaeve hadn't intervened, I don't know if Rahvin would have been caught unawares by Rand. If Rand hadn't killed Rahvin then, I think he might've fought off Nynaeve.

Also, you know, Rand's repeated fights with Ishamael are pretty cool.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Liah might have also been the distraction Sammael needed to get ganked

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Liah might have also been the distraction Sammael needed to get ganked

Oh, yeah. That makes sense. My analysis was pretty Rand-POV centric. Didn't take into effect how other people would react.

(This comment written to avoid needing spoiler tags.)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Data Graham posted:

Wwwwwwhy do it then? What's the advantage?

Because A) it lets one particularly skilled channeller tap into the strength of a dozen lesser talents for specialized tasks like healing, and B) there are some things you just want raw brute force for.

By analogy: if you want to dig a trench a mile long, you might want 50 men armed with shovels, but if you want to knock down a castle wall, you'd much prefer 1 man the size and strength of 49 regular men armed with a big gently caress-off hammer.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 13, 2021

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Data Graham posted:

Wwwwwwhy do it then? What's the advantage?

When you're shooting at a tank do you want 1 shell that weighs 20 pounds or 2,000 handgun bullets? You need something to cut through all the bullshit and do the job.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, concentrated power in one area is often more effective than a larger quantity of power spread out. Like book six is the perfect example of this

Rand could have individually overpowered any of the Aes Sedai who captured him and was able to run roughshod over multiple of them at a time. When linked though he was completely unable to breach them. Those sisters working individually even in tandem could never have captured Rand or held a shield on him but they could with a circle

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, the books make it pretty clear that it's much easier to fend off several small shields than one big one.

Another advantage of circles is that some weaves require a certain amount of power to function in the first place. Traveling is a prime example. Most of the Kin are too weak to travel by themselves, but they can make it work if they link. And traveling also demonstrates another advantage. Perhaps sometimes you want to move your army in small groups, and at other times you might want to move all of them at once through one huge gateway. Linking makes the latter possible.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh that actually reminds me of the best example for the advantages of mixed circles- With Perrin's army, after he finally cajoles his Wise Ones and Aes Sedai to work with the two Asha'man, one of them specifically calls out at how much easier it is to make very large gateways vs what any of the individuals alone or just the women could do. And it's a big deal because of just how many loving people Perrin has with him, that the Asha'man alone simply couldn't make and hold gateways large enough for them to move the army reasonably.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And, if they get to the last battle...

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, the books make it pretty clear that it's much easier to fend off several small shields than one big one.

Another advantage of circles is that some weaves require a certain amount of power to function in the first place. Traveling is a prime example. Most of the Kin are too weak to travel by themselves, but they can make it work if they link. And traveling also demonstrates another advantage. Perhaps sometimes you want to move your army in small groups, and at other times you might want to move all of them at once through one huge gateway. Linking makes the latter possible.

Yeah, there's points where someone is trying to shield someone else holding the power and it just straight up bounces off. Enough power differential and I'm assuming you can ignore one person trying to shield you. Plus there was always the known fact that 13 people in a circle was capable of overpowering any one person no matter how weak the 13 were. Even 13 people as weak as Morgase should have been able to shield Rand, assuming they could get a circle up.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doing a re-listen of the audiobooks, puttering around the house in the evening letting Lord of Chaos roll in the background.

Michal Reading posted:

Chapter 55. The final chapter.

Dumai's Wells.

*record scratch* time to get a drink and sit down.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I think if you somehow manage to knock out a single sister they would leave the circle. But the remaining circle is still exponentially stronger than the sum of the parts soooo

Once a circle is formed, only the leader can end it. It's mentioned in the books a couple of times that there is a danger of burning someone out if they are forced to channel too much through the link. I think it's only additive as well, if you want to let someone go, you have to drop the whole thing and link up again.

That's why they don't keep a circle on Rand. They don't need the strength of the full circle, and by keeping a half dozen women on him individually, they can take shifts over the days they have him captured.

As far as the a'dam goes, I don't know that it's mentioned in the book what would happen if one was put on a woman in a circle. Given what's said about ter'angreal it breaking the circle and working, nothing happening, the victim being burned out, or the whole thing exploding all seem equally likely.

Gambor fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 15, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's actually explicitly mentioned that the circle acts as a buffer and doesn't let you draw on people too much!

It sure can make them tired as gently caress though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

It's actually explicitly mentioned that the circle acts as a buffer and doesn't let you draw on people too much!

It sure can make them tired as gently caress though.

Yeah I just read that in Crown of Swords when Elayne is teaching the Sea Folk linking, the people in the circle are like sa'angreal and buffered from drawing too much.

The three sisters that were stilled by Rand were because they were the last ones holding the shield when he broke free

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah I just read that in Crown of Swords when Elayne is teaching the Sea Folk linking, the people in the circle are like sa'angreal and buffered from drawing too much.

The three sisters that were stilled by Rand were because they were the last ones holding the shield when he broke free

Just to clarify, angreals act a multiplier to the channeler's strength. Someone in the circle can only add a percentage of what they can draw individually. People channeling through an angreal don't get any protection from burning out. If anything they're more prone to it.

No word if leading a circle gives you protection from burning out. It never happens in any of the books (though Lan thinks it's possible), and it's never mentioned in any of the sources I've read.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Not sure if you meant to imply that breaking through a shield can still the person who was holding it, but that's not how it works (apologies if I'm misinterpreting you). Yes, they get stilled, but only because Rand does it on purpose after breaking through and regaining access to saidin. He follows the "soft points" of their now insufficient shields back to them and intentionally stills them, "crushing them ruthlessly with fists of spirit." He holds back after he's out of the chest and just drops tied off shields on the rest of the AS rather than stilling them. "If he decided to still her, he wanted her to know who was doing it and why."

It is a seriously great sequence though. When Rand gets out I'm always like

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ninjoatse.cx posted:

People channeling through an angreal don't get any protection from burning out. If anything they're more prone to it.

Most are buffered, some aren't. Vora's Sa'angreal that the tower has is specifically called out as being flawed due to lacking the buffer that keeps you from drawing too much.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Callandor*

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah that one is just going double ham on the "flaws" too lol

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm trying to remember... is it actually said that Vora's lacks a buffer? We only ever see it once prior to the Sanderson books, right? I guess we have to assume that it doesn't have one, given how it ends, but that seems... odd now that I'm thinking about it. *angreals having buffers is stated as a given.

Callandor is special and specifically-constructed (whether by "accident"-of-the-Wheel or intention) and I had thought its condition was a one-off because of it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bio347 posted:

I'm trying to remember... is it actually said that Vora's lacks a buffer? We only ever see it once prior to the Sanderson books, right? I guess we have to assume that it doesn't have one, given how it ends, but that seems... odd now that I'm thinking about it. *angreals having buffers is stated as a given.

Callandor is special and specifically-constructed (whether by "accident"-of-the-Wheel or intention) and I had thought its condition was a one-off because of it.

Yeah, it was explicitly said in the last book. (I think it was somewhere else too, but that's where I remember it from)

AMoL p887 posted:

She closed her eyes and drew in the power. More than a woman should be able to, more than was right. Far beyond safety, far beyond wisdom. This sa’angreal had no buffer to prevent this.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I have a mildly puerile thought to share with the thread.

The Dragon Reborn, ch. 25: Questions posted:

A woman turned to face her at the foot of the ramp, and Egwene stopped in confusion. Whoever she was, this was certainly not Else. All in silver and white silk, she sparked feelings Egwene had never had before. She was taller, more beautiful by far, and the look in her black eyes made Egwene feel small, scrawny, and none too clean. She can probably channel more of the Power than I can, too. Light, she is probably smarter than all three of us put together on top of it. It isn’t fair for one woman toAbruptly she realized the way her thoughts were going. Her cheeks reddened, and she gave herself a shake. She had never felt—less—than any other woman before, and she was not about to start now.
(embolding mine.)

I think the intended reading is chiefly that Egwene's titanic ego is such that she's never really thought of someone else being above her, not in hierarchy (like Siuan) or in social station (like Elayne), but in some sense of being a fundamentally better person.

But I can't help reading the sections I bolded as "Lanfear is so hot that even Egwene feels it."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

I have a mildly puerile thought to share with the thread.
(embolding mine.)

I think the intended reading is chiefly that Egwene's titanic ego is such that she's never really thought of someone else being above her, not in hierarchy (like Siuan) or in social station (like Elayne), but in some sense of being a fundamentally better person.

But I can't help reading the sections I bolded as "Lanfear is so hot that even Egwene feels it."

Oh, very much so. Like, it's pretty low-key textually, but a number of Aes Sedai were in relationships as novices with other novices.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I think it is implied (or even outright stated) that Lanfear is using some sort of "LOVE ME! WORSHIP ME!" weave at all times.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

I think it is implied (or even outright stated) that Lanfear is using some sort of "LOVE ME! WORSHIP ME!" weave at all times.

Yeah, same.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bare minimum she probably just has some sort of glamor going on that most of the others probably don't bother with but she finds personally useful for a lot of obvious reasons

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

bare minimum she probably just has some sort of glamor going on that most of the others probably don't bother with but she finds personally useful for a lot of obvious reasons

I stand by my theory that Rand had just never met a woman with shaved legs before.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah the whole period with Rand and Julin in the Portal Stones it's pretty clear they're being manipulated. Like Rand's head clears occasionally when they're separated temporarily and she's clearly aggravated it's not working. It's not Compulsion but definitely a "I am amazing and great, worship me" mind effect.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

You can tell it’s a weave by the way it even works on Loial despite Lanfear’s tragically anemic human eyebrows.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah the whole period with Rand and Julin in the Portal Stones it's pretty clear they're being manipulated. Like Rand's head clears occasionally when they're separated temporarily and she's clearly aggravated it's not working. It's not Compulsion but definitely a "I am amazing and great, worship me" mind effect.

Hurin. Thief taker, not thief-catcher.

I suppose a mild or moderate Compulsion-like effect would explain even Loial babbling about how hot Lanfear was.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

You can tell it’s a weave by the way it even works on Loial despite Lanfear’s tragically anemic human eyebrows.

This is an excellent post, I appreciate it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

She 100% does. One of the times with Rand in book 3 or 4 she asks him if he'd like to see the real her, and drops the web. It's not even a dramatic difference though, she's just more mature/even more imperious looking iirc. I think she makes some comment about how aginor and balthamel were stuck too close to the passage of time and thus ended up the decaying husks when they were freed, while she was held almost in stasis, too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lanfear just wanted to bang and recreate reality. Didn’t seem so bad.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Lanfear just wanted to bang and recreate reality. Didn’t seem so bad.

Also destroy the dark one AND the Creator and also have the most powerful man in the world enthralled by her

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DarkHorse posted:

Also destroy the dark one AND the Creator and also have the most powerful man in the world enthralled by her

It's good to have goals.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

rip to a true #girlboss

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

She just really, really wanted a lay. Unfortunately everyone saw her for the type that would rip a man's skin off and noped the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She just really, really wanted a lay. Unfortunately everyone saw her for the type that would rip a man's skin off and noped the gently caress out.

You rip just one man's skin off and everyone starts looking at you sidewise.