Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A relatively new reader summarizes The Eye of the World in two minutes, and you know what, she pretty much nails it. :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOg27kPQGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

If you're into podcasts, I've been listening to Wheel Takes and it's really scratching that itch for me. It takes about a book and a half for the new reader to truly get invested, but when she does she really falls hard for the series. It's a good time

They just finished foh and the episode of mourning for Moiraine was hilarious

I'm NOT into podcasts, but I'll make an exception this time. It's actually starting pretty well.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

A relatively new reader summarizes The Eye of the World in two minutes, and you know what, she pretty much nails it. :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOg27kPQGg

God this show is going to gently caress with the internal pronunciations I’ve been living with for 15 years.

“Myddraal” is “My Drehl” in my head. Don’t know why it is, but hopefully they go with Fade in the show.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Democratic Pirate posted:

God this show is going to gently caress with the internal pronunciations I’ve been living with for 15 years.

“Myddraal” is “My Drehl” in my head. Don’t know why it is, but hopefully they go with Fade in the show.

I actually audiobooked the whole series on my first time through, so my pronunciation is pretty much the official one. My spelling, however, is often way the gently caress off. :shrug:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I always made use of the glossary in the back for pronunciations. I was pretty obsessed with this series as a teen so I'd read every page between book releases

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

Y'all forget the R

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Myrddraal

Myrddraal (pronounced: MUHRD-draal)

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 24, 2021

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Barreft posted:

Y'all forget the R

*heaves a sigh of relief* oh thank gently caress

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That podcast is like a warp back to 2005 era podcasts and it's so endearing to listen to.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

That podcast is like a warp back to 2005 era podcasts and it's so endearing to listen to.

So far they have not tried to sell me pillows or radicalize me in some way

Carillon
May 9, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

radicalize me in some way

Yes. Yes, I see that, now. He has gone out alone to spread the word of his coming. We must spread the word, too. Yes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Barreft posted:

Y'all forget the R

True, but regardless characters saying Myrddraal will always be pronounced like the My Brand guy in my head:

https://youtu.be/V-fRuoMIfpw

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gus and Ali have great chemistry and put together an excellent podcast for first timers, thank you for introducing the thread. their love for else grinwell's farmgirl horniness is very endearing

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hooplah posted:

Gus and Ali have great chemistry and put together an excellent podcast for first timers, thank you for introducing the thread. their love for else grinwell's farmgirl horniness is very endearing

Yeah honestly Else is like the purest character in the books maybe? And I'm pretty sure I'm glad that she manages to get booted out of the tower and her skin was saved.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh my god. You hit it exactly. From the first moment, that very clear, echo-y "two people sitting at a kitchen table without a script" vibe came through and I just had a dumb smile on my face.

"When do you think Elan Morin will come back?"
"Book ... five."
:allears:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vavrek posted:

Oh my god. You hit it exactly. From the first moment, that very clear, echo-y "two people sitting at a kitchen table without a script" vibe came through and I just had a dumb smile on my face.

"When do you think Elan Morin will come back?"
"Book ... five."
:allears:

Yeah I'm really digging this.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hooplah posted:

Horny Else Grinwell is the icon the world needs right now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hooplah posted:

Plus if she was taught a little bit but never took the oaths, she's gonna live for hundreds of years of horniness

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus if she was taught a little bit but never took the oaths, she's gonna live for hundreds of years of horniness

Do we even know if she actually can touch the true source?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Do we even know if she actually can touch the true source?

Yes, she's at the White Tower as a novice. But she's barely able to channel and too lazy to train so she gets kicked out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

she's filed under the category of being too inept at it to really get up to anything bad but at the very least she'll probably live a good while

Aborted
Aug 7, 2007

Boba Fatt
I’m really digging their bit about the oiled up farmboys.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

she's filed under the category of being too inept at it to really get up to anything bad but at the very least she'll probably live a good while

She's somewhere between Morgase and Sorilea, but that covers a lot of ground as far as age is concerned.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes, she's at the White Tower as a novice. But she's barely able to channel and too lazy to train so she gets kicked out.

Too horny for warders to train*

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Hell yes theyre doing the texan accents

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gus's commitment to accents is both a blessing and a curse

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

Gus's commitment to accents is both a blessing and a curse

Them being completely flabbergasted that Domon, damane, and Domani are all used together in the same passages

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Huh. I had always kinda assumed that Else was killed in that last scene on the farm. We never see her after that (right?), and it seems very un-Jordan-like to not conserve a character.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

bio347 posted:

Huh. I had always kinda assumed that Else was killed in that last scene on the farm. We never see her after that (right?), and it seems very un-Jordan-like to not conserve a character.

That wasn't Else, it was some other girl who was merely unlucky to be working for Siuan in her study, and yes that person is 99.99999999% certainly dead.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Oh huh, you're right. I have no clue why I got that crossed up.

Still kinda weird Else never recurred though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I was talking with a friend about that earlier:

Did Lanfear kill Else? She impersonated Else, but was Else actually put out of the Tower, did she run away, did she "run away" ...

Friend just assumed Lanfear killed her. I realized I couldn't remember anything one way or the other. I eventually put forth: "She's blonde, right? Lanfear probably killed her for that."

The Wheel of Time Companion implies she was put out / sent away, though.

quote:

Her potential was very low, though, which was the reason the Tower was willing to let her go in under a year. She was impersonated by a Forsaken, and Mat posed as her brother to Rahvin.
And that's the end of the entry. So maybe she's just still around, out there, still horny.

I hope she made it to the Fourth Age.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rand gonna roll up on her farm in the fourth age and she gonna get it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Siuan specifically mentions she sent Else home for chasing stableboys instead of studying or doing chores or anything.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

I was talking with a friend about that earlier:

Did Lanfear kill Else? She impersonated Else, but was Else actually put out of the Tower, did she run away, did she "run away" ...

Friend just assumed Lanfear killed her. I realized I couldn't remember anything one way or the other. I eventually put forth: "She's blonde, right? Lanfear probably killed her for that."

The Wheel of Time Companion implies she was put out / sent away, though.

And that's the end of the entry. So maybe she's just still around, out there, still horny.

I hope she made it to the Fourth Age.

She's dark-haired, actually, so I'm sure Lanfear sympathized with her for her equal lack of success in seducing Rand and let her go.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've definitely wondered if lanfear killed else to hide her tracks but I prefer to believe Else is still banging her way across Randland throughout the Fourth Age

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I don't think killing Else was required to hide her tracks, because at that point Else was already put out of the Tower, so having Else wander through the Tower to pass messages is already super obvious. So killing Else is only required if you think Mirror of Mists is like a T-1000 thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

When Siuan mentions that Else was put out of the tower a while ago, Nynaeve is like "how dare they *taunt* us like this" so yeah it was meant to be super obvious.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Didn’t Min mention there was an initiate that was going to get pregnant and kicked out due to sleeping with a guard? That wasn’t Else?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Goreld posted:

Didn’t Min mention there was an initiate that was going to get pregnant and kicked out due to sleeping with a guard? That wasn’t Else?

That was a different novice, I don't think we ever got her name. They booted her for sleeping with a guard, and just assumed she'd eventually get pregnant.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Siuan mentioned it actually, when telling min why it was important she stuck around instead of jetting off to tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

No, Min shared her visions of the girl getting pregnant, and decided to avoid it by piling extra chores on. That was the last we heard of the matter.