Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Death of the author indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm rereading and I never really noticed how carefully planned every attack on rand is. It just never occurred to me that they weren't trying to kill him, but to make him despair.

It was incredibly well done. I'm at A Crown of Swords and dude is like full on insane already, but he hasnt gone full evil yet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I remember that too.

And the Taimandred theory is hilariously wrong in hindsight. One of the other Forsaken thinks "events in the south had Demandred's mark all over them - he preferred working through proxies."
It seems clear as day he recruited Taim and stood back to watch, and the Dark One was super pleased because Dumai's Wells was about as chaos-making as could have been possible.

Knowing what the endgame of it all was, it's incredible how carefully placed the plans were.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Its also kinda funny how despite Lews Therin being insane, most of his babbling is actually fairly accurate. Look at all his warnings about the Asha'man and Taim, for example, and even breaking the seals - he wasnt wrong, just ahead of time.

Rand is PTSD as gently caress and knows his own death lies at the end of the road too. It's just so goddamn well done.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I want to mention as well that Rand has a moment in one of the later books where he spins a web and knots it, then freaks out because that isnt how he describes things....

But hes been on and off referring to it that way for a while.

Shares a lot with Walker's PTSD hell in Spec Ops: The Line really.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And jeez, the Forsaken all being unbelievably flawed and at each other's throats but full of their own pride. Hell Moghedien's entire deal is disguising the fact that shes an outright coward.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Can Judi Dench be either Sorilea or Cadsuane please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the lady who plays Avasarala needs to be one of the Wise Ones or something

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Either would be good, but the bite Dench puts in her words in this scene is incredible:

https://youtu.be/DE5A1PzJQ18

Basically I'm saying more hardass women please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah if Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn't get one of the big older female channeler roles, they hosed up

Jfc shes Semirhage. Like a spot-on Semirhage.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

A bit too light skinned to be Semirhage, but otherwise spot on. I love the actress, she's so amazing, so I wouldn't mind her playing Semirhage at all.

I sorta got the impression that race doesn't really matter with the casting.

Speaking of the Forsaken, I wonder who they'll get to do Lanfear? She has a pretty central role for the early books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always thought the split-up everyone make their way to Caemlyn would translate incredibly well to screen. One episode per group maybe?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If we dont get some Eastern Promises style dick flop while fighting nude I'm declaring the series a failure

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's one:
Brienne, whatever her actor's name was, as Birgitte, with The Hound as Gaidal Cain, only seen very briefly when the heroes appear at Falme.
Patrick Stewart as Artur Hawkwing!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm still rereading and the moment where Egwene takes command of the Hall rules

Also someone mentioned the outdated gender politics might stand in the shows way - come on, seriously? GOT had marriage night rape and that sure was a big flop!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea I don’t see it as all that bad, most of the main powerful characters are women even if Mr Dragon himself has to save every woman cause he’s a big strong man.

I mean that's a fairly important part of his character arc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rand also comes within a hair of damning his own soul. And Be'lal and Rahvin both would have killed him outright if not for Moiraine and Nynaeve, respectively.

Do you mind explaining what you mean a bit more, because I'm not seeing it...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Since the whole premise is MEN RAPED THE WORLD, SO HERE IS WHAT THE WORLD LOOKS LIKE IF FEMINISM AND ITS NARRATIVE GETS ITS WAY, I would think they would have to make some fairly fundamental changes in order to make it palatable in 2019.

Like it would be nice if the overall theme were not "it's unfair to tar #allmen for the crimes of one guy, let's let Big Strong Omnipotent Instantly Knows Everything About War And Swordfighting And Naval Tactics And International Politics And Is Also Internally Mentally Tormented Man just do what he knows innately is right and redeem the male gender"

The overall theme is that everyone is stronger when they work together, though. That's what caused Lews Therin to fail where Rand succeeded. That's why the Forsaken fell. I'm sorry to harp on you but I dont see your read of it at all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also having thought it over, if the series doesnt have Thom's best scene knifing black ajah while sitting and writing poetry then it's all been for nothing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

What I'm curious about is how many people in the audience, like him, are missing any possible readings that do not involve Rand as the infallible messianic figure who is proven right by every happenstance.

Honestly, probably quite a few. And I *guess* if you ignored everything else that was going on in the story, then yeah, you could read his interactions with both Moiraine and Cadsuane that way. But he blames himself for not being hard enough which is why Moiraine died, and sets about making himself harder to the point by the Path of Daggers (which is what I'm reading right now, so it's fresh in my mind) his own soldiers aren't even cheering for him anymore. Even though he's the King of Illian.
And with Cadsuane, well, seeing as he genuinely intended to blow up Ebou Dar, then the world, and once he'd had his revelation removed her exile, I would say that textually he was shown to be wrong bigly.

I GUESS you could read it as Rand always being right, but you'd have to willfullly ignore an awful lot of stuff to get there. Including the parts where he apologises to his friends and allies and sobs on his father's shoulder after almost killing him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It would be like watching Aliens, seeing that soldier say to Hicks 'I hear that' and going 'huh, Hicks must be speaking at a normal volume.'

Apologies to whoever in CD I stole that from.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I honestly didn't really notice the difference.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you were going to lob a rhetorical grenade, you'd do it like this:

Tylin didn't rape Mat, because women can't rape men.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not trying to be dismissive of you, I was quite genuinely baffled by the reading you mentioned on it. I'm ok with having a civil conversation about it but don't be surprised if I drop the odd joke here and there.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 20, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So about the gender relations thing...

Is nobody going to mention that the Dark One is released to make men and women equal?

Mierin's deal is at least partially about getting a powersource both men and women can use, whereas divine law is that men have a half of the power they have to fight and women have a half of the power they have to surrender to.

Attempting to violate this law is an act of absolute evil that literally frees Satan.

I mean, the Dark One IS called the Father of Lies, and at the end of AMOL is revealed to have been deceiving every one of his followers.

That was what Mieren THOUGHT she was doing, but...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ok, I'm at a loss again.
Is there something fundamentally wrong with men and women having different magic? I dont get it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That was more how I read it, yeah. It was mentioned Lanfear was thirsty for power at all costs, so I can see that being her motivation above all else.

As for the gender stuff, well, RJ fought in Nam, he was a product of his time. The points raised are interesting enough, but to be honest I dont see his views costing the show any significant amount of viewers. Now if Rand gets shown to be THE ONE MAN WHO KNOWS ALL AND PROVES ALL WOMEN WRONG, welp.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What a recorded memory of one random ancestor thought Mierin claimed she thought she was doing.

From memory it was also mentioned in the book of bad art as the goal of drilling the Bore

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I do like how flawed all of the Forsaken are, and the only one that learns a drat thing is Demandred. Instead of just being mad at Lews Therin he goes and gets the biggest army and learns to be the best fighter. The rest, to one degree or another, die because they are at each other's throats.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Basileus777 posted:

Even Demandred loses with an overwhelming advantage because he's an idiot who thinks only someone from his own age could match him and that Rand must be pretending to be Mat.

Also because Lan is The Balls

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hell just recast Viggo Mortensen as Lan

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Khizan posted:

One of my favorite things about the Forsaken is how many of them seem to have gone over to the Shadow just because of Lews Therin. There's even a point where the Lews Therin voice in Rand's head muses something along the lines of "Demandred could very well have been one of the greatest heroes of the age if I had been more of a friend and less of an antagonistic competitive rear end in a top hat."

That does make me wonder how he treated the rest of them. I mean, how big of an rear end in a top hat do you have to be to make so many of the best and brightest on your side go "You know what? gently caress that guy, I'm going to go sign on with Satan"?

Given that the women in the Age of Legends refused to go along with him, I'd say he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat, yeah.

I mean, the Forsaken all had some glaring personality defects, but even so. I'm still a fan of Semirhage being all staunch and stoic and not being able to deal with being treated like a child.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

If we're going to get into "The First Age" business... Jesus of Nazareth is the Dragon Reborn, right?

In the same way that Mat is Odin and Perrin is Thor, yeah

Or whoever the parallels are with, it's been a while

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

That's them. Rand has parallels with Tyr too I think. And then of course there's the parallels with Arthurian legend.

Part of why Wheel of Time feels so rich is because so much real world stuff is layered on them. It's not a simple 1:1, there's overlap between characters, cultures, and stories.

That was the thing I loved so much about it the first time I read it. It's very much its own thing, but it draws from others in a way that never feels cheap or forced.
I mean, Merlin travels with them but he sure as gently caress isnt a wizard!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Uhhh.... help me out here?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:aaa: how the hell did I miss that one

Ok smart guy what about Tamyrlin then

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tamyrlin -> Thom Merrillin

Thom is actually the Dragon, Rand is just whacked out as gently caress on Two Rivers Leaf

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Where can I get a framed copy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FWIW I'm ok with not meeting Perrin's family.
We knew the character well enough that his grief was real, the important bit was what it meant to him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It really is amazing on this reread how much of books like seven through ten is just outright skippable. If the series gets that far they could do all four books in half a season.

Book 7 - fucks up Sammael, recover Bowl, Rand gets hosed up by Fain
Book 8 - Bowl used, Rand arguably shows first real act of madness by blasting half his army while wrecking the Seanchan, open rebellion by Asha'man
Book 9 - cleanse Saidin, Osan'gar gets teamkilled
Book 10 - Egwene captured

There, saved you the trouble.

I forget if the chapter "In So Habor" happens in book 10 but its dope af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh wait, book 9 also has Birgitte getting drunk af to hide from Elayne going to town with Rand