Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm going through the series again, and I took a detour to finally read New Spring, which I left out in my original read-through. It was good! It definitely feels like that's where RJ got his groove back after book 10.

Now that I'm done with that, what all is left in the WoT canon (outside the main 14 books)? I know about The Strike at Shayol Ghul and The River of Souls, and I know there's also the Big Book of Bad Art and the WoT Companion, although those aren't really meant to be read as a book from what I can tell. Is there anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait what's this about the strike at shayol ghul?

Full text here; it's a very short read. I read it tonight after work since I'd never actually read it before.

For people who haven't finished the main series, I don't think it gives anything away once you know who the Hundred Companions are, although someone might correct me on this.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I think this is answered somewhere in the books, but I forget: how is Ishamael there to taunt LTT in the first place? At that point, isn't he sealed in the bore? I know he gets "spun out" every thousand years or so; did he get sealed in and then immediately spun out?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

Gawain, Galad, and Egwene could all be removed from the series as easily as Tom Bombadil from Lord of the Rings.

Gawyn, fine, and I guess for Galad you could cut out the Whitecloaks entirely or leave their arc unfinished, but the series would suffer from it IMO.

But how the hell do you cut out Egwene? She's extremely central to the White tower plot line and also her dreaming is important several times throughout the series. If you cut her out the series is completely different.

e: I should refresh the page before posting

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Vavrek posted:

When I first read the series, I always liked Mat the most. Didn't give Egwene much attention, thought her development was kind of weird, paid it little mind. Came back to it a couple years ago, now that it's concluded, and was surprised by how much Egwene ruled.

This has been my experience in re-reading, too: I'm really enjoying Egwene and Nynaeve a lot more this time through and I'm finding them a lot more relatable. I'm wonder if it has to do with where I am in my life now vs. when I first read the series, or whether it's just that my first time through I was so excited to get to Rand chapters that I didn't give the other plotlines the attention they deserved.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Nynaeve's chapters are great for the same reason. She has pretty much every quality that she complains about in men, and is often demonstrating that quality at that exact moment.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Anias posted:

For a thread title sure, but as a one sentence summary - "Mat and birgitte get drunk together" has everything you need to know.

Since Birgitte's presence in the physical world is a bit of a spoiler, I'd personally rather keep it out of the thread title. I'm fine with saying that people who haven't finished the series browse this thread at their own risk, but IMO just seeing the thread title shouldn't give anything away.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I must have missed this in my re-read: why does Tuon rename and demote Egeanin? Is it because Tuon found out that she helped some marath'damane (Elayne, Nynaeve, and Bethamin)? Or because Tuon is jealous that Egeanin is pretending to be Mat's lover? Or both, or something else?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Yeah Garfield appearing, either as an angreal or as one of the first-age relics in Tanchico, was 100% believable to me.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Brolander posted:

read it to the baby. hook em young

Great if you want the baby's first word to be "woolhead"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

All the wide ones are great. Knowing what's happening with Verin makes me appreciate her a lot.

I see what you did there.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I can never keep Merilille and Myrelle straight.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I always get Moiraine, Morin, Moridin, Mierin, Mori, Marin, Mirin, Murin, Moriairin, Mruaruirn, Miririrn, M

I mean for the most part I don't have trouble with all the M characters, as they are either very memorable (Moraine, Moridin) or fairly minor and thus not really worth remembering. But Merilille and Myrelle are in the middle ground where they are important enough to be worth keeping track of, but minor enough that I never got the hang of who was who. Also, they are both Aes Sedai, which adds to the confusion.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Reminds me of one of my favorite takes on Mat, when Tuon sees him interacting with the Band for the first time:

It's two lines that get me. The casual "he's planning us a war," and Tuon realizing that she's seeing an important side of Mat that she'd never seen before.

I'm re-reading KoD now and that part really stuck out for me as a great moment. Really all of KoD is great though; it's crazy how much Jordan got his groove back between books 10 and 11. My theory is that he just needed a break from the main series, and New Spring gave him that. In NS when Moiraine takes her Aes Sedai test, you can really feel the classic Jordan coming back.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Libluini posted:

I've always read this bit as meaning that the Human soul needs both good and evil to function and if you take one half out you get crap. It basically turns you into a soulless homunculus regardless of which half is missing.

Agreed; I read this as "humans need the capacity to choose evil for good to mean anything". IIRC this is also the philosophical underpinning of A Clockwork Orange.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Really I don't mind Faile, I just think she and Perrin make for a terrible couple. #TeamRolan #TeamPerrelain

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Brolander posted:

#TeamElaytrim

Okay this I can 100% get behind; those two have way more chemistry together than any actual couple in the series.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

We can't have a discussion of WoT music without Blind Guardian's two WoT metal songs!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

- Rand: so far, very generic "chosen one" hero. The first 2/3 of the book was just him whining "wahh I wish I were home" or "wahh I wish I were with Mat and Perrin". Now that I'm far enough into TGH to know that he's The Dragon Reborn, I'm a bit more perked up to know what's going on with him.

What was the moment that convinced you that Rand was The Dragon Reborn? I kinda forget how that reveal works.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I'm still amazed that there are two Andoran high seats who have near identical first names (Perival/Pelivar). It always irked me.

...I'm not sure I ever realized that these were different people before your post.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MadHat posted:

13 Months
28 Days per Month
10 Days per Week

And Sunday, which not a day of the week but a once per year Holiday, the actual days of the week are never named anywhere.

Note that this is all information outside the main books, from secondary sources.

I thought all of that information was in the appendixes?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's really amusing that only Ishamael ever really understood what the Dark one was, or what being Forsaken was actually about.
I never got the sense that Lanfear compelled the innkeeper; horny, motherly old women giving the three boys sex advice was a common staple of the first few books.

Interestingly you can make a pretty good argument that Ishmael was wrong. His whole argument was that there are an infinite number of turnings of the Wheel and the Dark One only has to win once, so his victory is certain. But if there have already been an infinite number of turnings and the Dark One has never won (as evidenced by the wheel continuing to turn), then the probability of the Dark One winning must be zero and he and the Forsaken will never win.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Its also worth mentioning that the continent of Australia is now the Land of Madmen :discourse:

Wait, where's this in the books?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I like the Stormlight Archives a lot but yeah, just comparing the initial flashback-to-several-thousand-years-ago scenes in EotW and TWoK makes it pretty clear that Jordan is much better and world-building in a way that feels natural.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ad090 posted:

First look at Loial, posted in the non spoiler tv thread, which was stolen from reddit:

Interesting... I always kind of pictured him looking like Kimahri from Final Fantasy X

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

A couple things from episode 4 that I haven't seen discussed yet:

- They changed Leane's Ajah! She's blue in the books. But there's a nice line where Moiraine says "you could have been blue" in a nod to the book readers. Presumably they are dropping the plotline where she changes Ajahs after her stilling is healed. (spoilered since there was a first-time book reader a couple pages back.)

- I might have missed something, but I was expecting to see some warders to go into an incurable killing frenzy after the Green that was guarding Logaine was killed. Did this happen and I just missed it?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rarity posted:

1. That was Alanna Mosvani

2. They did, dude jumped axe first at Logain and got wrecked

Well this would explain why I didn't see either of those things mentioned. :doh: I'll cut myself some slack because Alanna does sound a lot like how I pronounce Leane.

What was Stephin's state at the end of the episode? Was he healed by Nynaeve? If so, it'll be interesting to see how he acts in the coming episodes.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hexel posted:

In the AMOL 10th anniversary livestream, Sanderson said that Rand is soo in touch with the pattern that he can make poo poo happen just by willing it and that's how he lit the pipe.

That's not canon, just his thoughts on that whole thing so basically Lanfear or anybody would have gently caress all power over Rand, he could snuff her just by willing it :shrug:

It's pretty strongly implied that Rand was able to affect the pattern directly back in TGS, before he became Zen Rand, when he threatens to kill Cadsuane by having the pattern stop her heart. So it stands to reason that Zen Rand might have kept that power.