Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Rarity posted:

You could definitely still have that, I don't remember M'Hael doing much of value in the last battle

Nobody except for Lan, Rand, Nyn, and Moiraine is really important for the last battle. Talmanes is badass in the opening but he spends the entirety of the battle chilling in a cave with the dragons. He easily could have been killed off there and had his cannon-tending duties given to Aludra. The last battle is written really wierd IMO. It kind of feels like one of those COD / Battlefield video game trailers where it flits from troop to troop, each one getting owned by the next. Mat is talked up as the greatest military mind of ever, but basically the whole battle is won or lost by Lan's individual duel with Demandread. Even the cute fakeout of letting the cursed villagers protecting the dam get killed of only to return t he next day is barely an afterthought. Egwene's supernova sacrifice takes M'Hael off the board I guess but that is kind of a weak feat. I think that book had the greatest evidence of Sanderson's touch (competent, workmanlike, mechanical plotter) vs Jordan's more visceral style. Perrin's fight vs Slayer is kind of cool but also incredibly anime, and felt out place with the vibe of the rest of the series. Mat's climactic battle with Fain/Mordeith/Whatever takes up basically two paragraphs and is essentially him playing dead and stabbing it in the back as it passes by. Etc etc. The book is full of action and basically pretty satisfying but it felt the most mechanical and empty of emotional heft of any part of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DarkHorse posted:

You probably already know this but the last three books were originally intended by Jordan to be one book

It's completely unrealistic but that's what he said, though I think a lot was in response to people after the slog

He knew he probably wasn't going to last another four years and was trying his hardest. Plus he knew people wanted it done. So he said, and I quote, "this will be the last book if every copy has to come with a free wheelbarrow".

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jedit posted:

He knew he probably wasn't going to last another four years and was trying his hardest. Plus he knew people wanted it done. So he said, and I quote, "this will be the last book if every copy has to come with a free wheelbarrow".

Sanderson did a great job but I'd love to live in the world where bookstores stocked Wheel of Time branded wheelbarrows with 5,000 loose pages loaded in each one

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rarity posted:

You could definitely still have that, I don't remember M'Hael doing much of value in the last battle

But then we would have lost out on the actual Demandred bringing in the entire Sharan army which was pretty badass

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Memory of Light is real good. I like that Lan is now getting POV stories he's never kind of had them before really and its cool that his last charge has been bolstered by the Ashaman and others. I'm not even half way through though. I still got a lot of reading to do.

There's only 5 Forsaken left by the book count so far.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Memory of Light is real good. I like that Lan is now getting POV stories he's never kind of had them before really and its cool that his last charge has been bolstered by the Ashaman and others. I'm not even half way through though. I still got a lot of reading to do.

There's only 5 Forsaken left by the book count so far.

Demandred, Moghedien, Hessalam, Moridin, Cyndane?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

Demandred, Moghedien, Hessalam, Moridin, Cyndane?

Demandred , M'Hael , Moghedian, Hessalam, Moridin, Cyndane.

So six I guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hollismason posted:

So six I guess.

time for you to make your guesses about their eventual fates

here are mine

Demandred - wrecked by a quarterstaff-wielding farmer
M'Hael - mad from taint
Moghedien - dies from a spider bite, cruel irony
Hessalam - sees a mirror
Moridin - punched the gently caress out by the REAL Ishamael
Cyndane - retires with Galad, has a bunch of children and reforms

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

So six I guess.

Alviarin was robbed :(

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hollismason posted:

So six I guess.

M’Hael is NOT Chosen idgaf WHAT the Great Lord says! #NotMyForsaken

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

time for you to make your guesses about their eventual fates

here are mine

Demandred - wrecked by a quarterstaff-wielding farmer
M'Hael - mad from taint
Moghedien - dies from a spider bite, cruel irony
Hessalam - sees a mirror
Moridin - punched the gently caress out by the REAL Ishamael
Cyndane - retires with Galad, has a bunch of children and reforms

My guesses would be

Demandred - Gets taken out by Rand in a one on one duel
Moridin - Dies because of Rand sealing the bore , gets killed in the dreamshard
M'Hael - Gets killed by Logaine and that Andor dude
Cyndane - Gets killed AGAIN by Moraine
Hessalam - I dunno probably Nynaeve because she's good at undoing her weaves
Moghedien - Elayne or Egwene

I mean we know that Logaine has a huge part to play in the final battle I think because of Min's vision so I really see him taking out M'Hael.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 23, 2021

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

tylertfb posted:

... The book is full of action and basically pretty satisfying but it felt the most mechanical and empty of emotional heft of any part of the series.

I mean...you mentioned it, so you must have done - but, my dude, did you *read* Egwene's Last Stand?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CuriousSymptoms posted:

I mean...you mentioned it, so you must have done - but, my dude, did you *read* Egwene's Last Stand?

If this didn’t make you tear up, you are a mook.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really wonder if Aviendhas vision is going to come true because she's now changed the future? I'm unsure , before in her vision the Aeil were left out of the Dragon's Peace , but now they are included.

I hope everything works out for Aeil.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Also lol at saying a wheel of time battle was out of place because it felt “anime”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

goethe.cx posted:

Also lol at saying a wheel of time battle was out of place because it felt “anime”

Isn't there a literal Dragon Dall Z energy beam battle at one fight between two channelers, or am I remembered incorrectly?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

:emptyquote:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Few rules:

yes please but ONLY if it isn't going to screw up my sherman's bbq tag

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Few rules:

Me!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't there a literal Dragon Dall Z energy beam battle at one fight between two channelers, or am I remembered incorrectly?

Yeah, it's Egwene and Taim. Balefire versus the "It's just a weave" bullshit.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Few rules:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Few rules:

Can remove disco for it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Few rules:

Yes loving please. I can part with the goose gang if I need to but it sounds like I can keep it all

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Few rules:

I ha e neither avatar nor tag after years. So sign me up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Few rules:

i have a braid, and i sometimes tug it

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Few rules:

I’m in, remove pissflaps coalition if needed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Few rules:

I'm tugging as hard as I can, just nothing but non-stop tugging over here.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Few rules:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Few rules:

Oh gently caress I need this.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Few rules:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Few rules:

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Few rules:

Hell yes, I finished the series for the first time this year after stopping at Crossroads of Twilight when it first came out and the slog killed my interest.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Few rules:

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Few rules:

:bandwagon:

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Few rules:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Few rules:

Okay let's do it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ego Trip posted:

I ha e neither avatar nor tag after years. So sign me up.

What's this then?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Few rules:

Please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Few rules:

:emptyquote: