Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr.PayDay posted:

STAR CITIZEN MOST LIKELY BIGGEST FLOP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OxQKbxiohA

Reading the comments, half of a DECADE later is :allears:

Chris Robbers does not make average scams

There’s a posting gimmick to be had posting five year old rebuttles. As we’ve lost our edgiest Poe posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I think it’s why the haven’t put in a single hint of sexuality into the game, not even a racy advert. They know the inevitable consequences of pouring any fuel onto that fire. The next thing you know the top post on Spectrum will be a demand for a $1000 sex dungeon ship.
I think we'll start seeing it now that Sandi is gone, but her terrifying influence is what probably kept that out, since backers were supposed to worship her and not other bepubed women.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lammasu posted:

That's one thing that's fascinated me about SC is the weird priorities they put on things. Like they had all these ships but didn't have female character models till like last year.

My hypothesis was they knew how nutso the space rapists were and were afraid to release it.

Or perhaps they don't understand game development.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 9, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/CkdzgiA.gifv

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

They start to get it. Sometimes, even in Cultist closed bubble forums.

On 3.10:

Star Citizen: old bugs, new bugs, just stupid poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Cryptocurrency idea, The Kilrathi coin.

July 20th at 7:31 am
how viable would it be to make a Cryptocurrency that is FINITE with in Star citizen that is findable in that spawn around the verse in the system grid.

these coins can be traded back to rsi for "flair" or traded freely in the open for whatever people want to trade it for.

There will be a limit of 25 million coins put in circulation.

and they can turn up in random locations like crash sites, abandoned stations, derelict ships, caves, inside the rectum of a space whale.

the coins are divisible to the 0.0000001 like all crypto. Maybe it can be tradable on the open coin market too.

they will be held in a spectrum wallet, THINK of it as gold Pressed Latinum of the Verse.

use UEC as a way to measure how much a Coin is worth over time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Spatial posted:

It looks exactly like Second Life lol

Not enough furries but yes it’s hilarious that all the amazing role play poo poo could be emulated 95% by just making an SL world with sci fi themes and then making it so pushing a button in your E:D hanger booted up SL, while still being infinitely smoother and less jank

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I wish I could go back in time and tell teenage me there would be an even more hilarious forever delayed game than daikatana and duke nukem forever but that it’d have more funding than both of them combined

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
A DJ option?
Discussion
July 27th at 9:21 am
Yer... just an idea.... On New Baggage there are 2 dance floors that isn't being used.... they are cool an all, but I think it would be awesome to place a console outside of those rooms. Look at the console and see a slot opening, a certain time of day and possible number of hours of an available slot. "A player" pays a good sum of SC to purchase a ticket. When their day is up, they go there, walk into a subsection where they stand in front of a turn table. The actual player either downloads a separate piece of software or a already known client, (like Teamspeak). The player actually plays his choice of music that can be heard from "within" the game of anyone who is there or passes by the room. So, basically, it would be a perfect option for any DJ's dance emotes and a party yet get together. BTW, depending on how popular it might be, might consider making it bigger. Maybe some tables or benches around the room. Also a walk a round servant where you can talk to them and order drinks and such without having to go to the bar.

quote:

Darian Vorlick: The reason why I liked this question is it's kind of an ongoing thing, almost a pet project of mine in a way. My personal goal, if the game will allow me, is to take an 890 jump and gut in the inside, turning it into a traveling nightclub, with my DJ character floating around in a DJ booth and if we have the tech to stream though it or whatever. Perhaps every year, or every week it goes from on system to another, a large circuit. Every time it comes back around, it's a big media deal, and everybody buys tickets and parties while it’s there.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

A DJ option?
Discussion
July 27th at 9:21 am
Yer... just an idea.... On New Baggage there are 2 dance floors that isn't being used.... they are cool an all, but I think it would be awesome to place a console outside of those rooms. Look at the console and see a slot opening, a certain time of day and possible number of hours of an available slot. "A player" pays a good sum of SC to purchase a ticket. When their day is up, they go there, walk into a subsection where they stand in front of a turn table. The actual player either downloads a separate piece of software or a already known client, (like Teamspeak). The player actually plays his choice of music that can be heard from "within" the game of anyone who is there or passes by the room. So, basically, it would be a perfect option for any DJ's dance emotes and a party yet get together. BTW, depending on how popular it might be, might consider making it bigger. Maybe some tables or benches around the room. Also a walk a round servant where you can talk to them and order drinks and such without having to go to the bar.

The kids have been dancing around to big name DJs in virtual nightclubs in Fortnite for about 3 years now. Checkmate Citizens

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

OK, so trawling the internet I came across this Men's Health article (I was looking for info on correct form for body weight exercises) on "Future Faking". It's hilarious how much of this applies to CIG and the citizens.

quote:

One of the hallmarks of a toxic, narcissistic relationship is the belief that things will change or get better in the future, often reinforced by a promise to that effect. But as clinical psychologist Dr. Ramani Durvasula explains, these kinds of promises are actually a narcissistic technique called future faking.

"It's actually a form of manipulation, and it's keeping you hooked in by making the kinds of future promises you want to hear," she says. "This may include wanting to have a family with you some day, and they may say things about wanting to get married some day, and buy a house together, some day."

"Future fakers reassure you, they tell you about the income potential they're going to have one day, or they're making more than enough money to take care of you," she continues. "In that way, future fakers can often coax a partner into leaving a job, or moving to another place, just to be with the narcissist... One of the main things that keeps people stuck in a narcissistic relationship is financial dependency. And once that narcissist renders you financially dependent on him or her, they are able to exert far more psychological control."

This isn't a tactic that's exclusive to romantic partnerships either; Durvasula explains that it can also present itself in family dynamics, where a family member will dangle the offer of future opportunities or financial support in order to get you to do what they want.

"One function of future faking is simply to distract you, just when you may be having a growing sense of discontent about the relationship, or starting to draw away," she says. "It's a perfect manipulation to draw you back in. They'll focus on talking about future things that really, really matter to you, and doing this can make you doubt yourself and make you think twice about transitioning out of the relationship."

Future faking is often deployed by narcissists at very strategic times, she adds, such as when a big decision needs to be made about work or school that might result in them having less influence.

The important thing to remember is that a narcissist has no intention of keeping these promises, they are made with the sole intention of keeping you on the hook. "It's kind of a psychological Ponzi scheme, in which you buy in now, and never get paid down the road," says Durvasula.

"They ask you to make a sacrifice now, to make a compromise now, give them money or support now, because 'some day' they will do whatever that thing you want is. What they're astute at is figuring out what matters to you in the future, and promising you exactly that thing. It's often part of the mirroring process, where they listen to you and work out what makes you tick, which is the perfect tool to future fake from."

https://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/a33491692/future-faking-definition-narcissism-psychologist-explains-ramani-durvasula/

This is basically the relationship between the citizens and CIG except instead of something at least worthwhile like having a family or a good job their dream of the future is a having a finished game that isn't poo poo.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Does anybody still have a link to that ancient Google doc spreadsheet with all the goons and what they spent from like 2012?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Spiderdrake posted:

I think we'll start seeing it now that Sandi is gone, but her terrifying influence is what probably kept that out, since backers were supposed to worship her and not other bepubed women.

Whoa, Sandi is out? I must have missed that year in SC coverage. What happened?

E: VVV Cool, thanks!

pokie fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 9, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

pokie posted:

Whoa, Sandi is out? I must have missed that year in SC coverage. What happened?

It’s all rumor and conjecture at this point. She’s been MIA from their videos for a year and a half now, and didn’t show up to CitCon 2019 or was even mentioned. Also, Chris hasn’t been wearing a wedding ring in recent appearances.

Though she’s still listed as a member of the board and they use her name for their whale correspondence.

It probably slipped your notice, because we really haven’t talked about it much, since there really isn’t much to talk about.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

It’s all rumor and conjecture at this point. She’s been MIA from their videos for a year and a half now, and didn’t show up to CitCon 2019 or was even mentioned. Also, Chris hasn’t been wearing a wedding ring in recent appearances.

Though she’s still listed as a member of the board and they use her name for their whale correspondence.

It probably slipped your notice, because we really haven’t talked about it much, since there really isn’t much to talk about.

The Chris and Sandi Show™ was definitely a driving factor behind the amount of money they've been able to steal. If the powers that be thought those two were still important to keep on camera to keep emptying wallets, they would be. So someone, somewhere decided that either their appearances are now harmful rather than helpful, or that they're willing to take the financial hit if it means distancing them from the project, thus improving its chances.

One way or the other, it wasn't accidental, and it wasn't CIG's call.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol @ how tiny, irrelevant and poo poo this is:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mystery armor

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MedicineHut posted:

Good to see that development has started on their core tech.

(Edit: never mind I'm reading the stupid loving roadmap wrong. Is anything in this project not abject poo poo?)

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 9, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

Well, it's like that because the backers have proved to be incapable of understanding open development, always demanding unreasonable stuff. So nowadays CIG has been forced to work on the really important tech silently. If most backers weren't such whiny children we would have proper roadmaps but, unfortunately, they are.

quote:

They tried showing everyone coding the game and got backlash for that and no one would watch....

We have a roadmap... And people complained it showed everything...

They removed items to keep it interesting...

They moved things around to appease people.

They redid items to appease people..

People complained every single time regardless of what they tried.

Like shut up and let them work people.

Read the "No bamboozles" roadmap to avoid being bamboozled by CIG saying it's doing less than they are actually doing.

quote:

Don't get bamboozled by the dates on the official roadmap! Software R&D is iterative and incremental. It can't be predicted to any degree of detail unless you're building something that you've built before. At least, not without fancy statistics. You can have a list of features or a list of dates, but you can't have both at the same time.

CIG has responded to this by being more and more conservative about what they put on the official roadmap. That still doesn't work, of course, because software R&D can't be predicted... but it does mean that a lot of CIG's work—maybe even most of it—doesn't appear on the roadmap.

So instead, this roadmap collects information from a variety of sources* to give you the real picture. No bamboozles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/hk67c0/no_bamboozles_roadmap_july_2020_edition/

trucutru fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 9, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I've been playing a lot of Grounded lately. It's an early-access survival game where you and your friends get "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"-ed and have to run around a back yard trying not to get eaten by spiders:

It hit early access like a week ago, so obviously it's full of bugs (haha get it) and a lot of stuff doesn't work exactly right, and the storyline quests basically stop after the first three. And it follows the exact same survival game mechanics that you might find in something like The Forest - hit stuff with an appropriate tool type, gather the little pieces that fall down, use it to make bigger stuff - even down to the "can only carry 6 logs at a time" deal. By all rights it's pretty simple stuff that doesn't bring a lot of complexity to the picture. But I was watching a Star Citizen streamer try out the new mining truck this morning, what with all its different types of beams and varying percentages of yields or whatever, and I realized I would 10000% rather have this "make a hammer, use it to hit rocks to make a better hammer" poo poo because it actually feels connected to the game. Whatever complexity is there is in service of making the game fun, not just wedged in there because some fat idiot was like "We have to have the most detailed rock-hitting simulator of all time" and imo it's better that way. Anyway that won't be news to anyone but it did get me thinking that Star Citizen sorta shot itself in the foot right out of the gate because in order to be able to make money they had to show incredibly detailed poo poo instead of being like "here's some grey squares, use them to shoot at other grey squares."

If you want more bugs and avoiding being eaten by spiders, go play Earth Defense Force 4.1 or 5 next :D
https://i.imgur.com/uJYfoai.gifv

No survival mechanics (other than surviving tons of bugs), though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

How will server meshing handle visibility between servers?
How will server meshing handle physics interactions between entities on different servers?
How will server meshing handle migrating between servers (on foot / in a ship)?
How will server meshing handle dynamically splitting a space into 2 or more new spaces?
How will server meshing handle combining 2 or more spaces into a single space?
How is the size of a space partition determined? Are they divided in half? Into Octrees?
How will the game simulation run in spaces that are not occupied by any players? Will it still require a server instance?
What is the density limit of a server partition?
How do you accomplish any of this without introducing noticeable lag, stuttering, or loading to the client?

This is easy:

It won't.
It won't.
It won't.
It won't.
It won't.
We have no idea. We have no idea. We have no idea.
We have no idea. We have no idea.
We have no idea.
Uh... buy an Idris?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Parp.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MedicineHut posted:

Talk about a wet parp of an update.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

colonelwest posted:

It’s absolutely baffling that after 8 years and $300 million down the drain, they still haven’t built or even in many cases planned the basic infrastructure for an MMO that’s supposed to support thousands of players interacting simultaneously in massive space battles.

Infrastructure is boring. You can't show it to Chris at monthly progress meetings, so he shouts at you for not showing any progress. So very quickly the only team leads still at CIG are the ones who know how to present Chris with lots of green pixels he can change to blue.

Remember the story that used to circulate about how procedural planet generation was something one guy threw together in secret that Erin took to Chris when it was finished (i.e. when it was pretty and could be the basis for a video) ? I'll bet ALL the existing server code is like that. Worked on in secret when nobody is watching, or not touched at all by career-minded coders who know all that matters is the flashy lighting effects in the next update meeting, and if they do it enough times they'll be in a lead engineering position by Christmas.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

MedicineHut posted:

Fully half of it is just caption and info :lol:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/U4QWoJc.mp4

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Darian Vorlick: The reason why I liked this question is it's kind of an ongoing thing, almost a pet project of mine in a way. My personal goal, if the game will allow me, is to take an 890 jump and gut in the inside, turning it into a traveling nightclub, with my DJ character floating around in a DJ booth and if we have the tech to stream though it or whatever. Perhaps every year, or every week it goes from on system to another, a large circuit. Every time it comes back around, it's a big media deal, and everybody buys tickets and parties while it’s there.

I'm the citizen who after a day of work I log into Star Citizen and buys tickets to go on some dude's space yacht for an in game party. Leisure time well spent.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t time stamp but at 51:00 a 10k backer talks about putting his money in years ago and getting gently caress all out of it.

https://youtu.be/2qtI2-_pueI

Wasn’t expecting to see that in a random eve video.

Choice quote “one of the fuckin ships I bought hasn’t even been built yet!”

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 9, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t time stamp but at 51:00 a 10k backer talks about putting his money in years ago and getting gently caress all out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtI2-_pueI&t=3099s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! For some reason that doesn’t work on mobile even though I can see you’ve time stamped it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mobile was a mistake.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Mobile was a mistake.

Coming out of the oceans was a mistake.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

well, not really conjecture or rumor. her position as vp of marketing has been filled by someone else according to linkedin

she does remain on the board and is still making money off this scheme tho

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Star citien is a absolute poo poo product made by an ultra dysfunctional company that's just a god drat mess top to bottom. what the hell

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I totally forgot that they had a new marketing person. And he actually has experience as a marketing person, crazy.
And coming from marketing at Perfect World Entertainment he has direct experience with marketing really lovely MMOs.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Solarin posted:

Star citien is a absolute poo poo product made by an ultra dysfunctional company that's just a god drat mess top to bottom. what the hell

It's an incredible feat of marketing to get so many to pay so much for so little. Maybe it's by design or by accident but the results are undeniable.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Solarin posted:

hosed up if true

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Ground cover... BUOYANCY? What the gently caress? I mean, I guess if it's anything like their seaweed buoyancy, we're in for a treat!

But personally I can't wait for improved throw. How long has it been on here now?

Star Citizen: cryptocurrency inside the rectum of a space whale

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gamesguy posted:

Does anybody still have a link to that ancient Google doc spreadsheet with all the goons and what they spent from like 2012?

Oh yeah, someone needs to link this. I want to see my shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tippis posted:

Mobile was a mistake.

Is it any worse than the rest of Alabama?