Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Super shill Jorunn makes a video praising his messiah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuuQH9-V73g

https://i.imgur.com/mwl73eQ.mp4

Quavers fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Oh my god this is gold! I highly recommend people read it all. I wonder how this bold experiment in development without time limits went?

:allears:

"Do you feel you've learnt from your mistakes?"
"Oh, certainly. Certainly. I've learnt from my mistakes and I'm sure I could reproduce them exactly."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Star Citizen will potentially give many of us a game to play for the rest of our life posted:

I'm drinking a little bit but hear me out. How long ago did WoW come out? And people are still playing it religiously to this day. Think about it. Not only that but the potential for immersion from the world CIG is building details to is insane. Once this project is done many will realize this is how a VIDEO GAME is made (Some are even realizing it now). Sure there are many types of games for different people, but this I really feel will be the mainstream one day because again look at World of Warcraft.

Thanks for reading this lil "reverse-rant" i guess. We need more positive stuff like this right now. Im so proud of what Chris and CIG are doing and if I could i'd jump right in and help (Get a studio here in Chicago man! lol)

quote:

Being 50, I'm quite happy for another 10 years of development and feature creep - will be ideal for my retirement! (Genuine comment)

quote:

35 here and right with ya on that sentiment!

quote:

36 and you can count me in! Our retirement homes will hopefully have VR and we can space travel!

quote:

As an original backer, I have always called it my retirement game. Just sitting here, continuing to pledge a bit more now and then and let them develop it. Looking forward to my future years!

quote:

I'm only 25 and expect to play SC for decades, if not until I die.

quote:

I have been playing Ultima Online since my older brother got into the beta test in '97.

I have no doubt that Star Citizen will keep my attention for the rest of my life. I already play almost every day since we first gained access.

quote:

I agree to the extent that this is the exact reason this game HAS to succeed. it's setting the bar and will rescue the mmo world from sad pathetic cash grabs with little content and no staying power. or games that cater to the chinease/anime crowd with ridiculous flashy colors nothing but female characters and overly large weapons. in games that lack depth and content.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mirificus posted:

I'm only 25 and expect to play SC for decades, if not until I die.

This game started dev when he was like 17. Just lol

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Looks like Michel Ancel who was working on Beyond Good And Evil 2 is quitting game dev https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-18-michel-ancel-quits-games-development

Safe to say it'll still release before sc

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

or games that cater to the chinease/anime crowd

:thunk:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if theyre planning on spending the next several decades playing sc and they also want making GBS threads to be a mechanic, how much of their lives do they plan on spending watching their spaceman go poop?

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

The Titanic posted:

When I think of doctors and my hospital adventures, I always wonder why nobody just pulls out a gun and shoots me.

Nothing says "made by men" quite like everything being a gun.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

The Titanic posted:

The only important lore is the fact that every celebration in the Galaxy results in space ship sales.

Me:
Grandpa's funeral today, followed by a wake...

CIG:
A wake is a celebration..

Me: .......

CIG: Buy a ship

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

So, did crobblers miss again his own schedule to answer a question this weekend?

E: just saw this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/ask-the-chairman

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

So, did crobblers miss again his own schedule to answer a question this weekend?

Sexy Bear posted:

@Rainwalker wins!

Question is "How is the Dynamic Economy shaping up? and is server meshing an essential requirement before Quantas show up?"

Tony and his team have been spending a lot of time this year fleshing out the internal infrastructure of the Dynamic Economy / Universe Simulation (Quantum):

- Increasing data flow from the Dedicated Game Servers (DGS) to Quantum. These servers are what you as a client connect to, handle a player’s moment to moment simulation, and are what will be meshed together eventually. They push up to the overall universe simulation the state of all the players they are responsible for, but at a slower tick rate than they simulate (as Quantum doesn’t need to be 30 frames per second as it’s a much bigger picture simulation)
- Linking to various game services; these are specific services for things like shops, commodities, resources, encounters (probability volumes, AI spawns), and service beacons that any DGS can query to get the global state of the universe. Services are how Quantum communicates the state of the universe (what you are calling the dynamic economy) to the various game servers. It’s done this was to not overload Quantum, each service caches and updates the global state of the aspect (say prices of items in shops) it is in charge of from Quantum (which is simulating this in a singular universe view) and then can share that on demand to the various DGS that query it. Doing this allows us to scale the DGS count and not worrying about overloading the singleton that is the Universe Simulation.
- Reading state from backend databases like the persistent database (soon to be iCache) to track player state and assets
- Improving Quanta (the representation of a group of AI in the Universe Simulation) ability for their traits and proficiencies to drive their actions and occupation.
- Improving the Star Map and Player analytics so you can have a full view of the player’s activities (travel, combat, purchases etc.)

Last year’s demo at CitizenCon ( https://youtu.be/_8VFw1F-olQ ) demonstrated the high level simulation approach we are planning to take but a lot of the “plumbing” necessary for a player to feel the effect of a dynamic universe shared by all players (not just solitary 50 player instances) wasn’t in, so the work that has happened since then was a necessary step to link it back to gameplay so people can see the cause and effect that a dynamic universe will bring.

Over the next couple of quarters the team is going to work on further fleshing out Quanta behaviors and variety (tourists, entertainers, blue-collar workers, white collar office workers, etc.) and continue linking the overall simulation to the services to allow it to start to drive things in the game you are playing, including the upcoming dynamic mission system. Fuel and repair costs are likely to be the first instance of pricing driven by the backend simulation (versus a formula in the service which it is now). From there we will slowly start pushing more of the Quantum simulation like encounters (Probability Volumes), commodity and retail goods pricing and stock, resource persistence (no endless random chance to mine Hadinite in the same point) to the services, allowing them to drive gameplay in the various DGS.

Tony’s goal (goal != promise :blush:) is to have elements of the Dynamic Universe start to come online next year, likely towards the back half of the year, where player’s actions can impact both the Dynamic Economy and other players.

As far as Server Meshing being a prerequisite for Quantum, that isn’t the case. The server mesh is the optimization that will allow the universe to be dynamically broken up into individual islands, each of which is controlled by a DGS, allowing us to scale the concurrent player count inside a single unified reality beyond what an individual server could handle. How likely you are to run into pirates at a given location, what missions are being offered where and for how much, the distribution and quantity of valuable ores, and which shops are short on what goods and what they’re willing to pay to procure more is what Quantum, not the DGS simulates. Quantum is responsible for the big picture of the universe. Quantum is not dependent on the server mesh as it’s a level above the server mesh, but Quantum is what allows the server mesh to reflect dynamic state of the Universe. That doesn’t mean that Quantum is a prerequisite for Server Meshing though, it’s just the universe won’t be as dynamic without Quantum driving it. In the same way the iCache is not a prerequisite for Quantum, but when online it will allow more fidelity of object state and tracking in the Quantum simulation.

Also If some of you haven't seen the AMA @jake-cig did back in April on Quantum it's worth checking out https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/quantum-ama (props to @mollybot-CIG for organizing AMAs for the community, it's something we're trying to do more of to make developer community interaction more focused)

As an aside the runner up @GongYu 's post on the Chinese and Russian fan driven localization efforts was super impressive. I forwarded it on to our internal translation team; we just hired a localization manager in the UK to start focusing on our localization for Squadron 42 and Star Citizen; we've built our display systems with localization in mind but changing the font to chinese or cyrillic without us explicitly helping is impressive initiative. We are definitely very interested in working on foreign translations with the community, especially on Star Citizen which is a huge on going project. it fits in the spirit of Star Citizen as we couldn't be making this game without all of you, and the lack of movement on the translation side was more to do with lack of dedicated personnel, which we have recently rectified. So expect to see us more engaged on this front as we go forward.

I hope this helped and thanks to everyone's questions.

-Chris

I haven't read it, it's too early to immerse myself in quantum economic nonsense, but I noticed this again
Star Citizen: goal != promise :blush:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 21, 2020

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Titanic posted:

When I think of doctors and my hospital adventures, I always wonder why nobody just pulls out a gun and shoots me.

Nothing says "made by men" quite like everything being a gun.
There are already animations for gun holding, but no animations for holding scalpel. I guess they would have to mocap some interns posing like surgeons/combat medics and then do animations from scratch anyway.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 21, 2020

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

quote:

In the same way the iCache is not a prerequisite for Quantum, but when online it will allow more fidelity of object state and tracking in the Quantum simulation.

Why the gently caress does an object state need loving fidelity?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

I spend a fair amount of time reading community discussions and feedback but I shy away from engaging as it can become a full time job, one that I don't have available time for as running a company of 630 people spread around the globe, while directing two projects already takes way more than 40 hours a week, especially as we now have to "over" communicate internally as almost everyone is working from home.

Look at him stumbling over excuses trying to cover the lie that he's working more than 40-hour weeks on SC. Me thinks you doth protest too much, sir. So many people under his leadership! How could he possibly find the time?!

Its almost like he saw the thread and felt like he had to cover. (not that he reads us lol)

quote:

Question is "How is the Dynamic Economy shaping up? and is server meshing an essential requirement before Quantas show up?"

Increasing data flow from the Dedicated Game Servers (DGS) to Quantum. These servers are what you as a client connect to, handle a player’s moment to moment simulation, and are what will be meshed together eventually. They push up to the overall universe simulation the state of all the players they are responsible for, but at a slower tick rate than they simulate (as Quantum doesn’t need to be 30 frames per second as it’s a much bigger picture simulation)

...what do you mean increasing? How can you increase something that hasn't shown up yet?

This is so much bullshitting and bluster.

Also if you weren't making poo poo up, this should be pretty trivial? He's literally saying "We have to connect some servers that do one thing to the game servers" which should just be... a given. So really he's saying "we haven't coded this yet"

quote:

Linking to various game services; these are specific services for things like shops, commodities, resources, encounters (probability volumes, AI spawns), and service beacons that any DGS can query to get the global state of the universe. Services are how Quantum communicates the state of the universe (what you are calling the dynamic economy) to the various game servers. It’s done this was to not overload Quantum, each service caches and updates the global state of the aspect (say prices of items in shops) it is in charge of from Quantum (which is simulating this in a singular universe view) and then can share that on demand to the various DGS that query it.

Is he having a stroke!?

quote:

Doing this allows us to scale the DGS count and not worrying about overloading the singleton that is the Universe Simulation.

....WHAT? The server mesh is a singleton? You would... overload it? Why? How? What the gently caress?

quote:

Improving Quanta (the representation of a group of AI in the Universe Simulation) ability for their traits and proficiencies to drive their actions and occupation.

Translation: Nothing is coded yet

quote:

Improving the Star Map and Player analytics so you can have a full view of the player’s activities (travel, combat, purchases etc.)

Translation: We also need to code the map

quote:

Last year’s demo at CitizenCon ( https://youtu.be/_8VFw1F-olQ ) demonstrated the high level simulation approach we are planning to take but a lot of the “plumbing” necessary for a player to feel the effect of a dynamic universe shared by all players (not just solitary 50 player instances) wasn’t in, so the work that has happened since then was a necessary step to link it back to gameplay so people can see the cause and effect that a dynamic universe will bring.

So what we showed you was a bullshit concept demo, it wasn't real gameplay, and we had to since then actually start coding some stuff to make it real, but we haven't finished it yet.

quote:

Over the next couple of quarters the team is going to work on further fleshing out Quanta behaviors and variety (tourists, entertainers, blue-collar workers, white collar office workers, etc.) and continue linking the overall simulation to the services to allow it to start to drive things in the game you are playing

I thought you just had to increase it Chris?!

quote:

Fuel and repair costs are likely to be the first instance of pricing driven by the backend simulation (versus a formula in the service which it is now).

What will it mean to have "quantum" fuel costs, if that's the only thing on the market that's dynamic? Won't all fuel supplies go down, which means all prices will go up, unless other agents and commodities are also in the quanta system?

quote:

Tony’s goal (goal != promise ) is to have elements of the Dynamic Universe start to come online next year, likely towards the back half of the year, where player’s actions can impact both the Dynamic Economy and other players.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

END OF 2021 JUST TO GET THE DYNAMIC MARKET GOING

AND THAT EVEN ISN"T A PROMISE

I AM DEAD

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

or games that cater to the chinease/anime crowd

Somebody's totally missing why people play those.

Hint: It's not fidelity.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Star Citizen: (goal != promise )

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Shameless.

Next year, back half. Maybe.

No promises.

Buy Idris.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Oh my god this is gold! I highly recommend people read it all. I wonder how this bold experiment in development without time limits went?

:allears:

I know, right?

So much of it is Crobbler.txt. 23 years ago.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

Why the gently caress does an object state need loving fidelity?

Objects in a "quanta" state are managed on a abstract way, it's only when players get close to them that they are instanced. So, if box of X is being delivered by the quanta engine and you get close, it'll become an actual box you can interact and modify. But unless you have iCache what you did won't be saved when you move away. So with iCache you can do things like putting a tracker inside that box, which will be afterwards be delivered to someone else by the quantum simulation, so when they put the box in their ship you'll be able to track 'em.

This is what backers believe.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AbstractNapper posted:

Shameless.

Next year, back half. Maybe.

No promises.

Buy Idris.

The biggest weasel words in there are

quote:

is to have elements of the Dynamic Universe

Not the dynamic universe but elements of it, like the super-position engine allocation hyper matrix, or the quantic absolute director oversight system, or anything else that is something that players cannot actually observe.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit: posted:

Reading this , you can almost believe Sc is someday going to see the light of day. Almost.

This is the nature of large software development projects - the output is exponential, even though development happens at a steady rate (presuming steady headcount, etc)...

We're slowly approaching the point where we'll see the big items starting to appear, and the whole game starting to shape up. We've likely got a couple of years to go still before it really starts looking like the game we're hoping for (and that's just to start looking like it - not to finish it), but we do seem to be approaching the start of the up-curve.

In games like BFV the two biggest hacking groups by a million miles are,” Chinese and Russian”. SC better have some amazingly secure anti-cheat systems in place.

lolno

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

quote:

Tony’s goal (goal != promise ) is to have elements of the Dynamic Universe start to come online next year, likely towards the back half of the year, where player’s actions can impact both the Dynamic Economy and other players.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

END OF 2021 JUST TO GET THE DYNAMIC MARKET GOING

AND THAT EVEN ISN"T A PROMISE

I AM DEAD

LOL I look forward to the inevitable clip of SaltEMike's response once he hears this news ...

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I am working multiple years on dynamic simulation of economy of the universe containing a single solar system

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dwesa posted:

quote:

We're slowly approaching the point where we'll see the big items starting to appear, and the whole game starting to shape up.
lolno
They've been saying this since 2014 lol

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

POP QUIZ:

Is this reply from...

a.) 4 years ago
b.) Today?

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

*edit* double post removed

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Shroud Of The Avatar news

:reddit: Portalarium, Inc. - "Right to Transact Business Forfeited"

From the Texas Secretary of State -

PORTALARIUM (DELAWARE), INC.

Mailing Address 124 WASHINGTON ST STE 101 FOXBORO, MA 02035-1368

Right to Transact Business in Texas FORFEITED

File missing reports, information reports and/or payments https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/franchise/webfile_franchise.html

State of Formation DE

Effective SOS Registration Date 06/25/2012

https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/

So good old Port either didn't pay some state taxes or fees, or didn't submit required filings, and now officially is no longer operating. What a shock. Your Seedinvest is just fine, I am sure!

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I think they sold the game to somebody else, no?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

We're slowly approaching the point where we'll see the big items starting to appear, and the whole game starting to shape up. We've likely got a couple of years to go still before it really starts looking like the game we're hoping for (and that's just to start looking like it - not to finish it), but we do seem to be approaching the start of the up-curve.

This was too good: "a couple years to go", "just to start looking like it - not to finish it" :laffo:

Who of you posted it really?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: Nothing is coded yet

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
If funding ever dries out and the project collapses from lack of funds, Chris will say "There just wasn't enough money", and his disciples will agree that his ambition was too great for the shoestring-budget he was afforded, and that the game would have been amazing and complete if people weren't so stingy and just coughed up the 2 billion dollars they needed.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Quavers posted:

Shroud Of The Avatar news

:reddit: Portalarium, Inc. - "Right to Transact Business Forfeited"

From the Texas Secretary of State -

PORTALARIUM (DELAWARE), INC.

Mailing Address 124 WASHINGTON ST STE 101 FOXBORO, MA 02035-1368

Right to Transact Business in Texas FORFEITED

File missing reports, information reports and/or payments https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/franchise/webfile_franchise.html

State of Formation DE

Effective SOS Registration Date 06/25/2012

https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/

So good old Port either didn't pay some state taxes or fees, or didn't submit required filings, and now officially is no longer operating. What a shock. Your Seedinvest is just fine, I am sure!

So many parallels. No crossbow then, for the investment savvy Citizen who backed both games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I think they sold the game to somebody else, no?

Not quite, they technically did but in a really sketchy underhanded way. Another employee started up a new company which they then sold to that person.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

quote:

Tony’s goal (goal != promise ) is to have elements of the Dynamic Universe start to come online next year, likely towards the back half of the year

Somewhere there is a picture of TonyZ standing over his boardgame visualization on how the intergalactic market might work circa 2013. Progress! lol

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dwesa posted:

I haven't read it, it's too early to immerse myself in quantum economic nonsense, but I noticed this again
Star Citizen: goal != promise :blush:

:lol:

Of course the softest of softball questions mysteriously won by a huge margin. So after days of hype from the community for some sort of macro-level explanation of the state of SC; Chris just gave a rambling non-answer for something that was already talked to death.

In the end, commodity prices will just randomly tick up and down, and CIG will claim that it’s the result of a dizzyingly complex simulation.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Not quite, they technically did but in a really sketchy underhanded way. Another employee started up a new company which they then sold to that person.

quote:

In October 2019, the assets and rights to Shroud of the Avatar were sold to Catnip Games, a company owned by Portalarium CEO Chris Spears.

lol

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

Star Citizen: (goal != promise )

And you guys said he wasn't a programmer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yeah basically they cant pay their taxes, so they are just playing the tax evasion game by moving the ownership around endlessly.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colonelwest posted:

:lol:

Of course the softest of softball questions mysteriously won by a huge margin. So after days of hype from the community for some sort of macro-level explanation of the state of SC; Chris just gave a rambling non-answer for something that was already talked to death.

In the end, commodity prices will just randomly tick up and down, and CIG will claim that it’s the result of a dizzyingly complex simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Zadda posted:

Looks like Michel Ancel who was working on Beyond Good And Evil 2 is quitting game dev https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-18-michel-ancel-quits-games-development

Safe to say it'll still release before sc

Well, that first line really got me excited because it says his plans are related to 'wild life' which sounded like his retirement was set to be focused on drug binges and elaborate parties.
But then it turned out to be 'wildlife' which is only like half as interesting.