Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’ll never get tired of Dreams.txt posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Want to say thanks to Mr. Roberts posted:

I want to say thanks to Robert on making a great game. Often all I hear is problems and negativitity, but I wanted to share that I am very excited for what you and your groups have done.

quote:

NOT A COACH... YEP noted.
Learn to be a coach, these include a parent, unlce/aunt, friend etc. if you want something done well give ataboys, and you will find that they go MUCH farther than "your so dumb, and this is worthless".

quote:

if you only say good job to a child when they become 18 for all their work they do then they will have never grown up with understanding how to give compliments, learn that their striving is worthwhile, and that they are appreciated. if you give good job every 3 seconds they have nothing to strive for because you hand it on a silver platter. if you are working on an engine, and your boss comes over and says "Rorik, great work on the cylinder , that bore looks good, will it run as well" and you say "yes sir" , "good thats what I like to see, tell me when your done", you feel honored that your boss cares for your work. Same with CIG. they have gotteen over and over and over bad crap from people on this site, and look at this post, negativity, even your post that says until they are done you will not say good job.
since your a truckdriver, you should know this. your boss doesnt say good job at the end of the year or 10 years, they say good job when you deliver each load correctly and on time and without a ticket. you dont expect it nor need it, but you enjoy it, and so do people who are doing their job. CIG has been doing their job, and very little praise is given.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
give praise to much to child result in many who say can you even accompliish? but Robert gives all and get no praise. like in hometown Brno we say "The man who catch fish with a hook makes a rubber blade of himself." praise for Robert now lacks, lets announce what job he does. step aside from gentle attacks on this accomplish game

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Robert need more gold.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Is Star Citizen the first quadruple-A game? posted:

The only comparisons are GTAV and RDR2 but that's from a purely monetary standpoint and they dumped half their budget on each game in to shilling/marketing.

No other game has the breadth, depth, and scope of Star Citizen and looking at current trends it is unlikely any studio will take the risk on a comparable project any time soon.

quote:

I just want to focus on this point. You're right that no studio would make a comparable project because SC/SQ42 is essentially a DARPA project for gaming. Super high-risk, insanely high reward R&D gaming. They are trying to build a game that does what every other gaming dev doesn't do because they have shortcuts (which take away the "immersion" factor).

The results of all the R&D can be transferred (sold) to other devs to build their own universes using the same tools. SC could be the start of a new era in PC gaming and truly put PC gaming above consoles once and for all.

But really, the long-term health of this project likely has factored in the selling of the StarEngine and her dev tools so other studios can build equally immersive games. Seriously, imagine a Battlefield 2142 remake or Planetside sequel will fully realized planets to fight over.

quote:

I'm confident that CIG will license their engine out to other companies.

But I don't think it's going to happen for at least a couple years after SC launches and CIG can ride the wave of offering a strictly unique experience. There's no way that they'd license it out before SC is out of beta because they'd be handing away that competitive edge before they can even cash in with the 1.0 for-real release.

quote:

Ditto, probably starting with smaller shops building out systems.

It's the only way I can seem them tackling it down fast enough and it dove tails with early access to licensed devtools for 3rd party shops to learn the engine.

It makes sense from a long term business perspective, there is also the whole movie/tv and fx industry to tap into.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
What is it about video games that make people think they have a direct influence on the mood and psychic wellbeing of the people making the games? Guys, we can't point out the glacial pace of production for this $300 million+ scam game because the devs might get sad and just, I don't know, quit their jobs or something

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheAgent posted:

like in hometown Brno we say "The man who catch fish with a hook makes a rubber blade of himself."

What.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I bet I could make Star Citizen I don't even need as much money as Mr Christopher Roberts has received

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Golden Bee posted:

Gigantic space empires, in a game where you can barely get enough ppl to fill a Motel 6 dining room.

CIGs big selling point for the game has always been "dream about what we might be!" rather than "look at us now."

This has a few great benefits CIG has been able to cash in on very well. Obviously it brings with it the great defense to "tier 0" despite that tier 0 probably being as good as it's going to get if it ever gets in at all.

No game can compare to the possibilities of every persons dreams for the biggest space game ever conceived that isn't even withheld by the needy shortfalls of a publisher. The sky is the limit and CIG will make it happen (not even might, but definitely will).

Meanwhile the actual game is nowhere near any of the dreams. Right down to the point of the player count being less than an average fortnight match on a Nintendo Switch.

None of it adds up to the amazing depth people dream up, but I think a majority of people with the dreams are also not playing the game at all. It's super easy to dream and look at all the pretty pictures and videos and imagine it all. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Lol at all of these idiots clinging to “physicalized everything”, “no cheats or tricks” and “Chris is building a universe from the ground up”. Not only will none of that make Star Citizen a fun game, but CIG itself is walking back all of those promises, they’re just refusing to acknowledge it.

We’ve already gotten a split inventory system with a non-physicalized part. CIG also recently confirmed that the newer elevators are all just going teleport around and they don’t give a poo poo about backer’s dreams of high fidelity elevator gameplay. Finally, just in the last few days they killed most of the dreams of cities teaming with millions of life-like NPC’s. The small Cryengine maps connected by train rides are all there will ever be, and maybe a few NPC’s will teleport in and out on a set schedule using hidden closets. So this would mean less fidelity than the NPCs in Oblivion.

But no, the Matrix is still going to spring like a Phoenix someday from Chris’ broken pile of code.

I think one of the biggest games to do this "physicalized" thing is Bethesda and their recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

However, they still did have your character have an inventory that destroyed the object in the world and keep its stats in your inventory, which I'm not even sure if CIG has at this moment.

But even with them being experts in this field, with multiple games over decades of development on pretty much the same thing with a different coat of paint, the games -still- big down to almost unplayable by the time you are close to the end, with crashes and loading screens that take multiple minutes... in part because they are remembering where you kicked a bottle in the dark in the tutorial dungeon and you can go back there and find it exactly as you left it.

CIG could try to learn from that... but I don't think they did. They talk about but don't do it, and peruse it like a buzzword without acknowledging the complexity and even if it's important in a multiplayer game.

Once you add in more players, persistence of the environment isn't something you really want to have. Unless you want to be the player who gets involved in the game after 2 years and all the dungeons are bare, the only thing killing your FPS is empty magazines and broken guns that you can only kick as you wade through them, and there's nothing for you to find except the realization you came too late and there's no fun for you anywhere.

Not even counting the time it will take to get this data across a network for no reason, and how many crashes it will cause people.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Titanic posted:

CIGs big selling point for the game has always been "dream about what we might be!" rather than "look at us now."

This has a few great benefits CIG has been able to cash in on very well. Obviously it brings with it the great defense to "tier 0" despite that tier 0 probably being as good as it's going to get if it ever gets in at all.

No game can compare to the possibilities of every persons dreams for the biggest space game ever conceived that isn't even withheld by the needy shortfalls of a publisher. The sky is the limit and CIG will make it happen (not even might, but definitely will).

Meanwhile the actual game is nowhere near any of the dreams. Right down to the point of the player count being less than an average fortnight match on a Nintendo Switch.

None of it adds up to the amazing depth people dream up, but I think a majority of people with the dreams are also not playing the game at all. It's super easy to dream and look at all the pretty pictures and videos and imagine it all. :shrug:

This is why I think CIG has no incentive to actually complete the game, even if they had the ability to. The actual "game" is a web based text adventure where you use the power of imagination to create a personalized fantasy simulation and talk about how great it will be when it eventually manifests. If CIG actually releases a final version of SC, then its game over and the fantasy crumbles to dust

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ask not for who we fish but what you can do for your country, for it's worth two in the bush. Buy an Idris

marumaru
May 20, 2013

let me file taxes in the verse

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I just really can't deal with these names anymore. Is there going to be a resurgence in obscure Greek mythological names in 800 years? And then that ends up paired with a last name that comes from a major chemical component of gasoline? There is zero thought put into people's names by the 'lore' team.

Gotta keep up with the stupid Star Wars names cause the crobbear has 0 imagination. They are doing the stupid roman empire in space thing, so there should be a resurgence in roman style names at least. Everything in this game is just whatever looks good this week to flog to idiots.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Inacio posted:

let me file taxes in the verse

Ok, but prepare yourself for the inevitable consequences of tax fraud...

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

What is it about video games that make people think they have a direct influence on the mood and psychic wellbeing of the people making the games? Guys, we can't point out the glacial pace of production for this $300 million+ scam game because the devs might get sad and just, I don't know, quit their jobs or something

The publics reaction can definitely effect your morale. Some developers are really passionate about the work they do, and it can be especially frustrating to know that you are working on project that is lovely, not because of the quality or effort you are putting into it, but because of terrible management.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ahh, Starfield. Can't wait to fight aliens animated like they have sticks up their butts instead of mutants and soldiers animated like they have sticks up their butts.

And space dragons. The kind that eats the sun every 30 days. It's a nuisance, but what can you expect from a reptile?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Weekend at Bunny's?

With breakfast at IHOP

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/qBmuLZP.mp4

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hot Diggity! posted:

I bet I could make Star Citizen I don't even need as much money as Mr Christopher Roberts has received

Nor did Braben et al at Frontier.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-has-now-generated-more-than-100m-in-revenue.557432/

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Nicholas posted:

The publics reaction can definitely effect your morale. Some developers are really passionate about the work they do, and it can be especially frustrating to know that you are working on project that is lovely, not because of the quality or effort you are putting into it, but because of terrible management.

Yeah, but that's not unique to video games. Like, there's whole genres of entertainment dedicated to making fun of bad movies but you never see people trying to shut down criticism of film because it might make the key grip sad.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
yeah i guess thats true

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

:five:

So good, but need an extended version.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus posted:

Want to say thanks to Mr. Roberts posted:

I want to say thanks to Robert on making a great game. Often all I hear is problems and negativitity, but I wanted to share that I am very excited for what you and your groups have done.

quote:

NOT A COACH... YEP noted.
Learn to be a coach, these include a parent, unlce/aunt, friend etc. if you want something done well give ataboys, and you will find that they go MUCH farther than "your so dumb, and this is worthless".

quote:

if you only say good job to a child when they become 18 for all their work they do then they will have never grown up with understanding how to give compliments, learn that their striving is worthwhile, and that they are appreciated. if you give good job every 3 seconds they have nothing to strive for because you hand it on a silver platter. if you are working on an engine, and your boss comes over and says "Rorik, great work on the cylinder , that bore looks good, will it run as well" and you say "yes sir" , "good thats what I like to see, tell me when your done", you feel honored that your boss cares for your work. Same with CIG. they have gotteen over and over and over bad crap from people on this site, and look at this post, negativity, even your post that says until they are done you will not say good job.
since your a truckdriver, you should know this. your boss doesnt say good job at the end of the year or 10 years, they say good job when you deliver each load correctly and on time and without a ticket. you dont expect it nor need it, but you enjoy it, and so do people who are doing their job. CIG has been doing their job, and very little praise is given.

quote:

I think everyone needs an ataboy, once in a while for doing amazing things. These are the reasons that many have not moved forward in the world because others only said. "boo on you, your not doing it good enough"... we should be builders of others, not destroyers. those who build help others build. its easy to destroy, just take a sledge hammer or bomb, but to build, that takes real work. but when its finished, those are the things people say are WONDERFUL. so let us encourage during these times.

quote:

understood. for me. I am doing my own games in here. I am setting up a 2 team rugby game, shooting multiple video (movies) that will come out soon, writing up papers to help my org in different aspects of game play, such as search and rescue, etc. See I think most people want a game handed to them on a silver platter to do everything without the work on such a thing, or the willingness to help (not monetarily) . most that I speak with just want to go shoot em up and mine, and trade. those to me are aspects of the verse. instead go to the ocrean and sit and watch the sun rise while doing my homework or project. that to me makes it AMAZING. have you been to the ocean in the game. its amazing. 95% of the people I speak with didnt even know they are in game, let alone beautiful ones.
AND it will really reduce the depression.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I still don’t understand why anybody would care if elevators teleport or not.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Other games have taken everything else, so non-teleporting elevators is all they have left. (No one show them the old arcade game Elevator Action.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, didn't CI¬G recently reveal that some elevators are teleporting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bubbacub posted:

I still don’t understand why anybody would care if elevators teleport or not.

Yeah, its a pretty clear indicator of how extremely unrealistic most of the SC fans are.

Because the only way that's something that you could even notice is if the game makes it possible for someone shooting at your ship to happen to blow a hole in the wall of the elevator and you get sucked out into space mid-elevator ride. But only if they hit the specific area your elevator was travelling through.

But making that work is an incredibly insane amount of effort for very very very little tangible gains.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's time for another episode of
:siren:INSIDE STAR CITIZEN :siren:

The show that most definitely will not take you anywhere near the inside of Star Citizen!

* Disco is doing a skit about the offices being empty, skip skip skip
* Holy poo poo it goes on for like 4 minutes
* There's some new HUD style, they've worked very hard on it, nobody cares, this is like the 4th redesign of the UI
* "We'll be handing all of this over to the vehicle feature team so they can actually start to implement it." I sometimes feel really bad for the vehicle team
* Oh jesus Lando is back with more halloween skit, shut the gently caress up
* Now some dev is rambling about resource distribution within a ship. This is the kind of thing that would have been neat 7 years ago. Now, my only thought is "You're going to have to rework every loving ship to do any of this. This will never make it into the game."
* Summary of the resource system: When you have low resources or a damaged distribution system things will turn off. Elite managed to do this without having to give 8 years of powerpoint presentations.
* Oops that was it, Lando does more lovely vamping

Big sale next month!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

The show that most definitely will not take you anywhere near the inside of Star Citizen!

* There's some new HUD style, they've worked very hard on it, nobody cares, this is like the 4th redesign of the UI
* "We'll be handing all of this over to the vehicle feature team so they can actually start to implement it." I sometimes feel really bad for the vehicle team
* Now some dev is rambling about resource distribution within a ship. This is the kind of thing that would have been neat 7 years ago. Now, my only thought is "You're going to have to rework every loving ship to do any of this. This will never make it into the game."
* Summary of the resource system: When you have low resources or a damaged distribution system things will turn off. Elite managed to do this without having to give 8 years of powerpoint presentations.

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1321910989927837697

quote:

Big sale next month!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Also included this apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN8L0yVTRhM

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Big sale next month!

How do you sit through these?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Man the new hud looks absolutely terrible. What the gently caress.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

How do you sit through these?

I skip all the parts where Lando is mugging at the camera or talking, which cuts the watch time down to about 2 minutes

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

Man the new hud looks absolutely terrible. What the gently caress.

Just you wait for the fifth version!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Star Citizen is the greatest example of bikeshedding in the history of mankind.

Thousands of hours spent re-re-redesigning the UI and working on physical elevators but the game runs at 10fps, you can't walk without falling through the ground, and servers cap at 50 players

what are priorities lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the next ship expo, which will surely be a huge improvement over the ship expo they had 6 months ago.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also what happened with that dumb UEE election? I'm sure whoever won is making a big impact in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

"If you don't have it fun with a cube and a sphere, you can put all the pretty paint on top of it you want, and it won't be fun"

- Dan Trufin, Lead Systems Designer CIG

lmao, if only this guy was around 8 years ago to tell Chris that.