Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

A reminder that Diablo 2 released in June 2000. Then Diablo 3 released in May 2012 (and was considered to be pretty late), around the time of SC Kickstarter.

Now, nine years later, there's Diablo 4 announced, Blizzard is releasing Diablo 2 remaster for its 20th anniversary (slightly late, but Covid) and Star Citizen still has nothing.

There's been an silent countdown for years now, that started the instant CR opened his mouth about Star Citizen. The countdown is ticking to a foregone conclusion: either the failure of the project, or him being kicked off so they can poo poo something out. The project will never amount to anything as long as he's attached, so we'll see lots more timelines with games coming out, sequels, etc. while this shitshow rumbles on. This was always going to be another Freelancer situation, with the exception that this time, without a publisher, we might get nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

A reminder that Diablo 2 released in June 2000. Then Diablo 3 released in May 2012 (and was considered to be pretty late), around the time of SC Kickstarter.

Now, nine years later, there's Diablo 4 announced, Blizzard is releasing Diablo 2 remaster for its 20th anniversary (slightly late, but Covid) and Star Citizen still has nothing.
See? But this is proof that other developers also spend 5 6 7 8 9+ years developing a game. ignores 4 WoW expansions, Overwatch, Starcraft expansions, MOBA game, TCG game etc. So it's perfectly normal. And unlike Blizzard, they had to build a company first!

edit:
https://v.redd.it/d8uh4h423hj61/DASH_480.mp4

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 25, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Scruffpuff posted:

There's been an silent countdown for years now, that started the instant CR opened his mouth about Star Citizen. The countdown is ticking to a foregone conclusion: either the failure of the project, or him being kicked off so they can poo poo something out. The project will never amount to anything as long as he's attached, so we'll see lots more timelines with games coming out, sequels, etc. while this shitshow rumbles on. This was always going to be another Freelancer situation, with the exception that this time, without a publisher, we might get nothing at all.

I have to disagree, I think eventually they will run out of money and Chris will announce that SC is released and the Beta 15.5 will be renamed to SC Final 1.0. This will only happen after all the external studios are closed down, and the entirety of CIG is just a skeleton crew doing what is necessary to keep the PU alive. SQ42 never comes out.

Then he rides into the sunset knowing he saved PC gaming.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It's pretty mind boggling to me that they went with unique names (but also only unique across each ship type?), and naming it on a loving website, instead of just adding "string name;" on a ship and put input box on one of many terminals in game. But I'm not looking at it from a whale tender perspective

Is this Diablo 2 remaster just re-rendering videos and making higher res textures, or do they say they will do more and then just change the textures and that is all? I mean like warcraft

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

commando in tophat posted:

It's pretty mind boggling to me that they went with unique names (but also only unique across each ship type?), and naming it on a loving website, instead of just adding "string name;" on a ship and put input box on one of many terminals in game. But I'm not looking at it from a whale tender perspective

Is this Diablo 2 remaster just re-rendering videos and making higher res textures, or do they say they will do more and then just change the textures and that is all? I mean like warcraft

From what I've seen and read, the game will be redone to higher assets, but CGs will be completely made anew.

EDIT: Finally got time to find the pretty extensive summary: https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-2-resurrected-release-date-alpha-changes/

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 25, 2021

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

commando in tophat posted:

My guess is that Turbulent is grabbing functionality as much as they can in the mad machine that is Star Citizen development. And since they are smart enough to stay far away from dreams.txt features they are the people who can 'get stuff done'. None of that stuff is related to a spaceship game anymore but that's not really relevant anymore, you're just naming your digital pet who happens to be a spaceship.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Summon Blobers I guess?

Joe Blobers posted:

Except it is not and will never be. It is like saying EVE is better than ED and NMS because released 10 years before.

You missed the point of @Eliot’s comment in this very section: “it’s clearly the only game having fun poked at it here.”… because outside, in the real world, 200.000 new backers joined SC just in 2020 :)

Quote: “We are not trying to entertain the critics. I’ll take my chances with the public” (Walt Disney)
Just the usual delusion.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Isn't reclaiming the thing you do if, for example, you die while your ship is out in space or parked somewhere and you want it available to spawn at whatever dock you woke up in?

If so, love having to log in to a website to name my ship every time I clip through the ground and fall into the center of the planet.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

squirrelzipper posted:

This is so loving nuts tho, like I just bought a new snowboard, it’s nice, carbon fibre inserts, sintered base, bamboo, but it was $560 and I don’t really need it. Like $700, for a picture of a promise. JFC.

I collect Warhammer and even to my fiscally broken brain this is madness.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I'm very sorry.

Warhams is also terminal.

Sometimes even in death you still serve (and pay)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I collect anime figures and ditto. At least I have something physical that's independent on Crobbers's servers.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
GCU Scope Amenable To Change

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
There was an ED livestream a few years ago with a community manager having his ship buzzed/ganked by players, one of the player ships that kept flying slowly past had the name Derek Smart Was Right on the side.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Some drive-by Star Citizen shitposting

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

BigglesSWE posted:

Whatever can be salvaged is really besides the point. The point being: they kickstarted the game eons ago and promised pretty much anything to anyone. The only thing that keeps this house of jpg.‘s from falling apart is the perpetual development cycle. If the reason you pledged 6 years ago still isn’t nowhere to be seen, don’t worry! The game is in development, they’ll get there!

I feel like taking over the development of SC at this point would be kind of like taking over the rule of
Nazi Germany in May 1945. The writing’s on the wall, pal.

Hah! Godwin law, you loose, loser! Whatever.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

dieselfruit posted:

I'm going to call my space ship The Crobbler and none of you can stop me

Someone please try Mae Demming.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
How the fuckity gently caress can naming a ship be something that they have to implement per ship?

Surely there's some sort of base structure in the code ('Spaceship') that all the ships extend/implement/whatever (I don't know a drat thing about how C/C++ works) and you would stick the implementation of "this thing has a visible name" on there?

The implications of how their code is structured is honestly infuriating.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

How the fuckity gently caress can naming a ship be something that they have to implement per ship?

Surely there's some sort of base structure in the code ('Spaceship') that all the ships extend/implement/whatever (I don't know a drat thing about how C/C++ works) and you would stick the implementation of "this thing has a visible name" on there?

Optimist in me says that maybe they just created geometry where ship name goes and whatnow for few ships, but experience says that everything is hosed and there is no inheritance or modularity, because it literally should be slapping a string on your spaceship class

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

People who care about uniqueness want ship names that stand out, and they don't need an enforced unique name for that. The players who don't care about standing out just want to name their ship Millennium Falcon, and you arn't winning any points from them by not letting them do that.

Looking forward to the first rager from a player trying to name all their ships the same thing except one hull where someone else got it first.

Yus.

Not sure I see how unique naming, even per ship type, is going to help anybody. It's like picking out a username somewhere. It's going to be Serenity77823 or some nonsense.

Wondering also why this feature isn't just "available" and instead needs to be rolled out on a per-ship basis. I wonder if each ship basically has its own database table and none of them share anything, or if we're seeing some light into the CIG chaos and these select ships happen to share enough code and database values that making this adjustment will affect this select group. And I wonder if this was the group with the most common shares architecture between them.

The spaghetti code must be a sight to behold. Imagine hundreds of Jr devs with almost no oversight and no senior developers to help them making this kind of game. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BigglesSWE posted:

The “in stock” always makes me laugh.

Database smegma.

At this point, I think their database is probably trashed just as much as or more than their code base, making all these connecting pieces even harder to do when you need to change hundreds of tables and pieces of code just to enable "name my ship".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The name plate is actually a default room object with zero breadth.
It still monitors how much argon in it.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Last King posted:

speaking of ridiculous...

holy cow what the hell?

Don't forget, just because you pledge for a ship, doesn't mean it will be available in the Persistent Universe! That's a separate stretch goal, PER SHIP!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

akkristor posted:

Don't forget, just because you pledge for a ship, doesn't mean it will be available in the Persistent Universe! That's a separate stretch goal, PER SHIP!

According to their TOS the pledge is for the development of the game(s) and the ship jpeg is just a nicety thrown in by Chris

They could at any moment bin everyone’s current and future jpegs and dust their hands off

Not sure it would hold up in court but that’s what their TOS says ( as expertly edited in secret multiple times)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

MedicineHut posted:

Someone please try Mae Demming.

The Tickler in Black is decloaking off the starboard side!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

alf_pogs posted:

time to spend another day in Squadron 420, doing, uh, i can't remember but it was v chill

Squadron 80085 has boobs in it :quagmire:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

squirrelzipper posted:

This is so loving nuts tho, like I just bought a new snowboard, it’s nice, carbon fibre inserts, sintered base, bamboo, but it was $560 and I don’t really need it. Like $700, for a picture of a promise. JFC.

you are a man of the earth/mud. so you care for earthly goods.
citizens are people of the skies, like more better.

but because i am also a mudman here is a free jpeg:

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Fidelitious posted:

I just assume every ship is actually it's own struct and that they implement features separately for each ship. The fact they cannot squash known bugs for months / years at a time tends to back up that view as well IMO

It is definitely the most pessimistic option, and no doubt they had competent coders at the start, but it has been in dev so long, with such turnover, that it is quite feasible their codebase is utterly rife with duplication of effort like that.

Also it makes me feel better about my own lovely coding skills lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

V1.0 Naming does not support much of the alien language that CIG has developed posted:

Owners of alien ships and fans of alien languages might be considering using Romanised Xi'an or Banu to name their ships, particularly as it's a way to get a unique name that other people are unlikely to have taken. However, it sounds like the limits on ship names in V1.0 will not support several of the characters common in the romanised versions of Banu and Xi'an.

quote:

There is a limit of 32 characters for a given ship name that must consist of letters, numbers, spaces, and dashes in any combination.

From this, we can already tell that Xi'an pitch markings are not supported, as they require the period, apostrophe and quote marks.

From experience, accented letters are not well supported on CIG services. Check my citizen dossier and you will see that my Banu name is rendered Jéla - and both names are even more messed up in-game, reverting to unicode codes. Accents are not confirmed to be supported so far, and based on past form I do not expect them to be. In order to support both Banu and Xi'an, we would need ā, ē, ō, ū, (and their uppercase equivalents) as well as â for Xi'an support, and á, é, í, ó, ú (and their uppercase equivalents) for Banu.

I am not sure how they will support the letters that are not in the English alphabet but used for Banu, æ and ø. From the lack of support for even acuted letters that are common in English loan words like 'fiancée', I doubt that they will be supported.

When I have voiced this concern previously people have suggested it would only worsen the problem of people creating lookalike names, like Enterpríse rather than Enterprise. I think that this is a valid concern, but one that can be entirely addressed by replacing the special characters with their unaccented equivalents for the sake of checking for duplicate names. This is even easier if the accented characters are rendered by using combining diacritics (i.e. instead of ē as one character you have e and a combining macron character ̄ which gives two characters superimposed as ē). Then you just need to strip those out before doing the comparison.

Naturally, this is not as important as support for names from real languages that use an accented Latin alphabet. However, it seems strange that we would not have support for words that the company invented, particularly when we are expected to come up with unique names for each ship.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mirificus posted:

From this, we can already tell that Xi'an pitch markings are not supported, as they require the period, apostrophe and quote marks.

From experience, accented letters are not well supported on CIG services. Check my citizen dossier and you will see that my Banu name is rendered Jéla - and both names are even more messed up in-game, reverting to unicode codes. Accents are not confirmed to be supported so far, and based on past form I do not expect them to be. In order to support both Banu and Xi'an, we would need ā, ē, ō, ū, (and their uppercase equivalents) as well as â for Xi'an support, and á, é, í, ó, ú (and their uppercase equivalents) for Banu.

I am not sure how they will support the letters that are not in the English alphabet but used for Banu, æ and ø. From the lack of support for even acuted letters that are common in English loan words like 'fiancée', I doubt that they will be supported.

When I have voiced this concern previously people have suggested it would only worsen the problem of people creating lookalike names, like Enterpríse rather than Enterprise. I think that this is a valid concern, but one that can be entirely addressed by replacing the special characters with their unaccented equivalents for the sake of checking for duplicate names. This is even easier if the accented characters are rendered by using combining diacritics (i.e. instead of ē as one character you have e and a combining macron character ̄ which gives two characters superimposed as ē). Then you just need to strip those out before doing the comparison.

Naturally, this is not as important as support for names from real languages that use an accented Latin alphabet. However, it seems strange that we would not have support for words that the company invented, particularly when we are expected to come up with unique names for each ship.

Thanks Britton, now get back to making up space Chinese words please.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
So, is V1.0 the same as Tier 1? Or can we get a T1 build of V1.0? Will this be on the roadmap?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I dunno the roadmap guy prolly only had a two month contract.

Every year the CI's versioning system gets more complex.

Aplha 3.12 V1 tier0 ship naming (early) investigation

Where every other company goes to great length to keep their versions simple.

V.bad coder here I would have thought having some text on the side of the ship was low hanging fruit

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Everyone at CIG is avoiding the elephant in the room that is actually building the foundation of the MMO game they promised so you have these ever more peripheral non-game things being worked.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Chris has to be getting paid a poo poo load of money.

Imagine being chained to a job you can't leave, where you have been failing so much there is a dedicated forum of people laughing at you ...for a decade. You are given every resource but just cant even get a mess hall to work in your space opera.

Work can be hard and stressful, but knowning there are untold thousands gathered to see you gently caress up, they have every confidence you will gently caress up. Your ongoing failure has become a comical internet mem.

I would find that rough, I'm sure there is an amount you could pay me to do it

Then again CR has always been comfortably detached from reaility, he is just happy driving a porche.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah the several million dollars a year would make up for a dozen or so posters on a dead comedy forum making dumb jokes about my hairline or whatever

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Squadron 54 out yet?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know why this surprises you. Here's how the pricing model works:

$360: This is the bog standard cargo ship. It is big and it hauls cargo. It will be completely defenseless even with turret gunners and will still lose all your poo poo when the game crashes to desktop. It is absolutely not worth even a tenth of this price, and you can buy cargo ships in-game for free.

$480: This is the "Military" version of the cargo ship. It hauls less cargo than the first one, in exchange for a hand wave and nebulous promise of better equipment, or something. They don't even bother to describe the difference anymore, they just say "It's military" and raise the price by a hundred dollars. Citizens still pay the difference.

$700: This is the "Whale" version of the cargo ship. It can haul less than a third of the first one's cargo, but they have promised new features like being able to drop gravity bombs, in a space game about spaceships in space. Only a fool would buy this. It is here to make idiots think that the first two are a good value. Citizens have been trained to fetishize spaceships that are facsimiles of actual planes, so this one is compared to the C-130 Hercules that they stuck a howitzer to the side of. It will not have a howitzer.

No loving way- are you speculating or is that actually how those ships are broken down?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kellanved posted:

Squadron 54 out yet?

Out of what?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't even remember what the correct squadron number is anymore

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Strangler 42 posted:

The Tickler in Black is decloaking off the starboard side!

Derek's Revenge
The Final Pledge
Endlessly Turbulent
Don't Tell Sandi
Uncrashable II
Ship Name Tier 0
Absolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

Chris has to be getting paid a poo poo load of money.

Imagine being chained to a job you can't leave, where you have been failing so much there is a dedicated forum of people laughing at you ...for a decade. You are given every resource but just cant even get a mess hall to work in your space opera.

Work can be hard and stressful, but knowning there are untold thousands gathered to see you gently caress up, they have every confidence you will gently caress up. Your ongoing failure has become a comical internet mem.

I would find that rough, I'm sure there is an amount you could pay me to do it

Then again CR has always been comfortably detached from reaility, he is just happy driving a porche.

Yes that’s basically the entire crux of my argument with him and CIG at large

From day -360 they have taken every dime available and splurged on everything imaginable except the one thing they should be using it for .... making a game

I say day -360 because I recall Chris himself said he was talking back-pay because of all the time he spent pre-Kickstarter coming up with the idea and “working on it”

So he back paid himself a salary for a year or two

That was the first thing he did when the money really started piling up

Does that not ring anyone’s alarm bells at all ?

If Chris was truly the developer genius he claims to be , he would take a relatively comfortable salary and make sure the rest goes towards his workers

I know for instance in 2020 the entire executive team at the company I work for cut their salaries by 50%. And the ceo cut his by 100%

Can you imagine Chris giving money BACK ? Hahaha

The person that tears apart the yearly filings can probably estimate what Chris pays himself. But I imagine it’s between 2-3 million + the valuation of his shares in the various holdings.

For comparison that’s probably a million more than the ceo of a publicly held - 1 billion dollar valued company would take home

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 25, 2021