Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bedshaped posted:

last time i checked in they were working their butts off to release a sq42 trailer or something, did that ever happen?

Chris Roberts

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"We're still figuring out how ladders should work" is an encouraging signpost.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

That was a tier 0 plan and was not delivered
The tier 1 plan was a year long roadmap to a roadmap also not delivered
Tier 2 was a roadmap that showed nothing
Tier 3 was a annoucement of a monthly show for which their was one episode
The final god tier was a snarky post for CR to stop asking and his magnum opus will be done when it's done
No "when" questions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That letter implies there is going to be another in game "event" in which you have to run supplies within the only system in the game. It's also just as likely that there is no event coming and this is just another lore dump that has no bearing on anything happening in the game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like some evocati testing is coming soon with the new station. I feel sorry for the servers.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

:carol:Get ready to eat poo poo, fudsters, it's time for the Roadmap Roundup, presented by that dude from INN who now works at CI-G:carol:

GOD:drat: The cheapest version of one of the oldest ships has passed its final review! Holy poo poo! All the proud owners of the worst Connie , the ship used to pad all packages, are lubricating their PrtSc key in anticipation.

And the very first T1, not T0, but t1, T1, T-ONE feature is currently under review. Of course CI-G did the responsible thing and removed it from the schedule until that T is worth the goddamn 1.

Finally, after weeks (maybe months) of work, the engineers at the core gameplay team managed to change the name of a deliverable because it won't deliver half of what it was supposed to deliver. That's called T.R.A.N.S.P.A.R.E.N.C.Y. you asses, and it what makes CI-G the best company around.

Look at all that loving progress!!! I fully expect ladders T1, with a never-seen-before level of fidelity to be here at the latest in the middle of 2022 and you can quote the poo poo out of this post.

Funny part is, most of those Taurus owners have to be mad about that. Don’t they currently get the better Andromeda (which still sucks last I heard) as a replacement?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looks like some evocati testing is coming soon with the new station. I feel sorry for the servers.

I wonder which planet they'll have to remove this time.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

That letter implies there is going to be another in game "event" in which you have to run supplies within the only system in the game. It's also just as likely that there is no event coming and this is just another lore dump that has no bearing on anything happening in the game.

ding ding ding

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously, if EA did half the things CIG are doing people would be posting pictures on twitter of breaking their FIFA discs in protest. People would burn the EA lawn.

But somehow CIG has this core fanbase that are too deep in the cult to see it.

Their would be loving congressional hearings if any developer pulled the poo poo CIG has done. Selling DLC for game systems that aren't developed yet and with NO projected delivery date. I mean the average ships costs as much as those special editions with the statue and all the other goodies.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
What's with people using CI-G or whatever instead of CIG in this thread?

Noticed a few people doing it

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Abongination posted:

Ah that's just how it's pronounced:

"Cloud Imperium minus Games"

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Abongination posted:

CIG has a series of shell corporations and at one point they changed from "Cloud Imperium Games" to just "Cloud Imperium", dropping the "Game" and the irony was too good to pass up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Funny part is, most of those Taurus owners have to be mad about that. Don’t they currently get the better Andromeda (which still sucks last I heard) as a replacement?

Suck is relative. What sucks more than a Taurus? That's one of those philosophical questions that appear to have no answer but, in fact, there are different types of suck, of which the Taurus is but a mere facet of one.

If a Taurus self-explodes where nobody can take a screenshot of it, does it cause a 30K?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

CIG has a series of shell corporations and at one point they changed from "Cloud Imperium Games" to just "Cloud Imperium", dropping the "Game" and the irony was too good to pass up.

Yeah this, the day they announced they were changing to just Cloud Imperium was seriously the funniest.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I also like the sign for "Robert Space Industries" that the convention hall flubbed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

In the early days we had nothing but a short video and lot's of excited talk, then we got a hangar and a couple of ships to climb into, then Arena Commander. We could dream, we could theory-craft and engage in the creative process yet the ships we get now regularly into the game are far superior to those flat textured basic models we had in our hangars. We still can indulge in the theory-crafting but because we have a fixed set of assets now it's easy to fall into the trap of lowering your horizon to just what you see because let's face it that's all that everyone else seems to be responding to and a lot of them respond negatively to the dreams of others. This is why people like listening to Tony Zurovec an Evo Herzeg, they remind us of what the grand vision always was and how the plan is far grander than the casual observer can comprehend.

We have planets and moons, but we have only one system and it's very earth-like right now, we have minimal flora and it is also very earth-like - we know there's more to come. When the clouds go in, there are those who will go nuts about them and we just know that Chris will not settle for 'good enough'. We don't have a skybox the way other games do. Chris knows that players will boil like frogs in the new and jaw-dropping, they get used to it all pretty quickly so he is not going to give it all away, the best is being kept under wraps. We get teasers, Chris loves to see people pick apart clues that he gives and theory-craft.

There are features coming in Squadron 42 that players have not experienced in quite the same way in any other game, but a lot of those features were only discussed and partially showcased in the very early days - it's easy to forget - but they are still coming. What they are doing with the AI will not only make the game more interesting to just watch and hang around with them when events happen you'll feel it, really feel it, because you feel a connection to those characters and places in a way most games don't really try to achieve.

In Mass Effect where they actually did pay most attention to player character relationships when the Normandy gets destroyed you don't really have any feeling about it, but it won't be like that in Squadron 42. When Chris talks about the new technology that made him want to return to gaming most assume he's just talking about graphics and level of detail, he's not, that is not his main concern - his main concern is to viscerally involve us in the world he is creating. He wants you to have a 'Saving Private Ryan ' experience, he plans to gut-punch the players the way Game of Thrones did. Why is he spending time on realistic looking fire in the game, and firefighting? It's not for the eye candy graphics or the observable realism of game mechanics, it's for the story telling.

If you ever get the chance to talk to Chris Roberts or any of the senior team ask them.. How will it feel compared to other games.. you'll see these seasoned gamers and very experienced developers suddenly get all excited!

Go back and watch a few of the old presentations to remind yourself how much bigger it was always planned to be than what we have today. The Stanton System as it is now is completely impersonal, it doesn't represent the final vision at all - yet.

One of my favourite features to look forward to is the look dev. I'm fascinating to see what it feels like to be in VR in an environment where the 'actors' don't stare past you into void space if you aren't standing in exactly the right position, also to see the NPC's actually looking at things as though they were noticing them or studying them. To see it written down or even shown in tech demos in video it doesn't seem much, but when it happens in the game you'll realise, you'll never look at NPC's in games quite the same way ever again.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: it doesn't represent the final vision at all - yet.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens are so far behind the times that even bad games pretty much universally have the NPC interaction features that they are dreaming of CIG some-day implementing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ighFX5A_E

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens are so far behind the times that even bad games pretty much universally have the NPC interaction features that they are dreaming of CIG some-day implementing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ighFX5A_E

the only thing 2077 has going for it in comparison to SC is that 2077's NPCs can walk around

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

marumaru posted:

the only thing 2077 has going for it in comparison to SC is that 2077's NPCs can walk around

No? 2077 is a real game and runs and has some style and originality in its design. It was rushed and its bugs really hold it back, but there's a good story and a decent game in there. Like NMS, it'll probably get redeemed a few years after release through long term support.

SC is a scam.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

'seasoned gamers'

oh god... am I a seasoned gamer

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Let's not be hyperbolic - whether CP2077 is a good or bad game is subjective (I quite like it personally, flaws and all, at least once I got it refunded on PS4 and re-bought it on PC), but the crowd simulations are the best I've seen yet in any game, ever. Sure, you're still going to see janky stuff, but I struggle to think of a single game that's executed what they did on that scale. (Edit: Watch Dogs Legion may have surpassed it, from what I'm told.)

Zaphod42 posted:

No? 2077 is a real game and runs and has some style and originality in its design. It was rushed and its bugs really hold it back, but there's a good story and a decent game in there. Like NMS, it'll probably get redeemed a few years after release through long term support.

SC is a scam.

Yeah, agreed. The main mistake CPR made was pushing to release the games on previous-gen consoles. If they had just accepted that wasn't going to happen and just released on PC (or delayed to release on next-gen consoles), it would have been much better received, warts and all. I've played the game extensively on both PS4 (pro) and PC, and it's pretty much a completely different game.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 17, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm watching the Xbox Games Showcase Extended and it's both funny and Sad how far behind SC is. I mean you have tiny studios and Eurojank studios light years ahead of Chris Roberts in terms of motion capture.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

SC is a scam.

meant to say 2077's NPCs
they're not very interactive at all. CDPR promised tons of stuff for their NPCs (just like a certain other developer):

https://old.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kbk4ap/the_ai_of_cyberpunk_2077_an_indepth_look_at_the posted:

Now let's compare these statements to what is in the game at launch:

No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.

If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.

NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.https://old.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...utm_term=kbk4ap

If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.

NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.

NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.

NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.

NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.

NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.

Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.

Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.

Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.

Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.

Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.

NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.

Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

I'm watching the Xbox Games Showcase Extended and it's both funny and Sad how far behind SC is. I mean you have tiny studios and Eurojank studios light years ahead of Chris Roberts in terms of motion capture.

I assure you that SC's Xbox 360-era graphics are very impressive. Youtube comments can't be wrong!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah the CP2077 NPCs are not strong at all and yet somehow they look like the work of Michelangelo compared to SC

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I assure you that SC's Xbox 360-era graphics are very impressive. Youtube comments can't be wrong!

It's not just graphics. They Senua actress has been practicing stage fighting for the last two years, who remember was the office video editor. SC can barely handle them walking.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

It's not just graphics. They Senua actress has been practicing stage fighting for the last two years, who remember was the office video editor. SC can barely handle them walking.

But CIG mocapped and lip synced every single one of the NPCs standing around on the Javelin tour dryly telling you about the still-unimplemented features of the ship! All the citizens were VERY impressed as they sped past them to find the bridge (that wasn't accessible).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Last I checked Cyberpunk 2077 didn’t ask me to pledge 450USD to guarantee that super sweet new ride they’ll start adding to the game “soon”.

That’s all there is to it IMO. Unless a game is literally trying to sell you stuff for outrageous prices with a release date of “eh?” there’s nothing to talk about. Like, War Thunder for instance has a lot of premium purchase options but with few exceptions, the product you purchase is instantaneously yours, and actually a functioning part of the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'd say the people who set Cyberpunk's release date deserve a lot of blame - the game was absolutely not ready to meet the expectations their marketing had set.

That said, preordering a game and then being disappointed in its quality is one thing, what Star Citizen does is orders of magnitude different, both in the amount they expect you to pay and how little they actually provide. The two games are nothing alike.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Play posted:

Yeah the CP2077 NPCs are not strong at all and yet somehow they look like the work of Michelangelo compared to SC

walking/sitting down are complicated features ok

Play
Apr 25, 2006

marumaru posted:

walking/sitting down are complicated features ok

they just need to add the quanta and it'll all come together. bing bong, so simple

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

marumaru posted:

meant to say 2077's NPCs
they're not very interactive at all. CDPR promised tons of stuff for their NPCs (just like a certain other developer):

I mean yeah, but neither are SC's npcs.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Mirificus posted:

quote:

This is why people like listening to Tony Zurovec an Evo Herzeg, they remind us of what the grand vision always was and how the plan is far grander than the casual observer can comprehend.

Falling for the "Grand Vision" seems to be why a lot of kickstarter scams gain traction. You'd think that after over a decade of kickstarter projects, consumers would have caught on that it's not the big and elaborate ideas that make games, but rather focus, competence, and a realistic assessment of one's own abilities and resources.

Unfortunately, SC is still raking in money and none of the people in the project have faced any kind of accountability for it. It's teaching the wrong lessons, and I'm sure a number of scam mmo kickstarters have at least drawn some inspiration from its example.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

dejapes posted:

Falling for the "Grand Vision" seems to be why a lot of kickstarter scams gain traction. You'd think that after over a decade of kickstarter projects, consumers would have caught on that it's not the big and elaborate ideas that make games, but rather focus, competence, and a realistic assessment of one's own abilities and resources.

Unfortunately, SC is still raking in money and none of the people in the project have faced any kind of accountability for it. It's teaching the wrong lessons, and I'm sure a number of scam mmo kickstarters have at least drawn some inspiration from its example.

Oh there's a whole new wave of them now, and they've come out swinging, with lawyers ready to hand out defamation lawsuits against people who dare question the project. The lawyers are on staff before they even design the game, I wonder why that would be?

Chris has paved the way for a new kind of PC gaming - just not the kind his backers wanted or expected.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

Oh there's a whole new wave of them now, and they've come out swinging, with lawyers ready to hand out defamation lawsuits against people who dare question the project. The lawyers are on staff before they even design the game, I wonder why that would be?

Chris has paved the way for a new kind of PC gaming - just not the kind his backers wanted or expected.

Like that one scam MMO that staffed it's discord with 13 year olds and promised payment in the form of game keys and steam cards.

Dreamworld I think.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I also like the sign for "Robert Space Industries" that the convention hall flubbed.

For nine years, you have been asking: Who is Robert Space? This is Robert Space speaking.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I think I most enjoy the spectrum posters who dreams.txt about how TonyZ's AI will be just like a real person they can talk to and make laugh and possibly steal a kiss from, if the moment is right. They're so desperate for genuine human emotion :shepspends:, no wonder 2020 was such a good year for SC funding.

Star Citizen: This will be a fully realised AI society

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

akkristor posted:

Like that one scam MMO that staffed it's discord with 13 year olds and promised payment in the form of game keys and steam cards.

Dreamworld I think.

There's also near a dozen that are taking SC's fake land claims to its logical limit, and creating either real or fake planets and selling parcels. Which will be a great investment because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Scruffpuff posted:

There's also near a dozen that are taking SC's fake land claims to its logical limit, and creating either real or fake planets and selling parcels. Which will be a great investment because

I think you're thinking of Earth 2, which was covered in depth in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dod7QZ2IBWQ

Credit where it's due, I hadn't thought of combining a scam "do-everything" MMO with a pyramid scheme.