Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Normal person: So much commuting :shepicide:

Backers: So much commuting :shepspends:

This cloud tech is so amazing that Imgur has flagged that particular screenshot as erotica.

Edit: aw crap, snipe. Have a polar bear strapped on a backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what fun things we'll be able to do on Bespin Crusader. I hope it involves delivering boxes!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'd be really tickled to see marketing master Sandi come back to a major role in the project!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

You can't have a 'life-sized' teddy bear, teddy bears don't exist and aren't alive.

And it's certainly not a life-sized bear

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Play posted:

You can't have a 'life-sized' teddy bear, teddy bears don't exist and aren't alive.

And it's certainly not a life-sized bear

Everyone focused on the bear and all I can see is that awesome mess hall- a little something something for the backers :wink:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Did they ever post the “proof of life” video they promised?
It'll be ready once their developers recreate CR and Sandi based on some old mocap data. For now they're unable to give Sandi facial animations and CR's arms have only ragdoll physics, but soon.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 18, 2021

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

FishMcCool posted:

I have spent the last two days reading this entire thread and I have to say, for people who have no interest in Star Citizen, you all seem to have a surprising obsession with it. I have run the stats to see the posting frequency distribution per individual and the lopsided histogram says it all about the MVPs.

Anyhow, it is clear to me that you don't believe in the project. I can't honestly blame you, faith is on the wane in this century, and gaming is no exception. But for someone like me who grew up in the 80s/90s, it's heartbreaking to see that a honest attempt at recapturing the magic of old pc games before they got tainted by commercial pressure from publishers and neoliberal investors looking for their pound of green flesh (I mean dollars, not orcs). And as a game developer myself, I'm all too familiar with that kind of pressure. I wish I had the courage of Mr Roberts to roll out my own company and make my dream game, but since I can't, supporting him is the next best thing and I don't regret my now-concierge status. It's not like it was a big expense either as it only grew organically over the (growing) lifetime of the project. Sure, it's not "released" yet, but then what really is a release these days? Tetris on the GameBoy is probably the last game I'd call actually released. Everything else since is a half-broken mess pushed out too early. I mean, just look at Star Wars Squadron or Subverse. Bugs all over the place, hotfixes... I wish I hadn't gone over the 2h mark so I could refund and transfer the money to CIG instead, they would use it better.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say. "But those games are there, I can play them, Star Citizen isn't there yet". Well, the PU is. Now, make no mistakes, it is early days and I'll be honest, I wish Squadron 42 wasn't a bit late, as I have always liked Gary Oldman and starring in my own movie with him is an exciting prospect. But ultimately, it's the living/breathing "second life" (but actually well done) experience that I'm really after. And this is now what you are getting with any other game. Well, apart from Second Life, but that ship has sailed and its engine is an outdated mess. Unless SL licenses Star Engine in the future, who knows? But in the meantime, nothing on the market offers what SC does. In what other game do you physically wake up in your bed each session? It's a small thing for you but for me, it's like I'm getting out there and my other me was just sleeping in the dimension I was inactive in. Then walking to the cockpit, inspecting everything around never gets old. What other game has you landing on planets from orbit like that? Sure, Elite does, Flight Simulator is pretty, and Kerbal has nice physics, but Elite doesn't have the planetary fidelity, FS isn't procedurally generated/extensible and lacks orbit/space anyhow, and please don't even mention Kerbal for immersion.

And then there is the walking. Because ships aren't everything in a space game. If you never leave the cockpit, it's like you "are" the ship. And then, does it make a difference whether you are a character, a ship or the Kamoshika line between Akita and Aomori? Leaving the seat is what gets to your mind, reminding you that you are a human, and that the ship is not you but a temporary extension of your body. Walking is what makes it worth. Yes, I agree with some of you, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's boring, and SC train lines are too slow (but then, that's the beauty of a fictional universe: Mr Roberts can simply decide that a new Train Tech has been discovered and double train ride speeds). But this is what makes you appreciate even more your ship's capacities, even a modest Aurora, when you get to it. Less is more, something that many of you have forgotten if I look at the posting numbers. Yes, in many ways SC is a walking simulator. But with a twist. And that twist happens to be the objectively best looking ships gaming has ever seen. I've always thought the Tiger's Claw from Wing Commander 2 couldn't be topped, but every new SC sale makes me even more wrong. And by forcing me to get out of my ship for human interactions, I get a reminder of the weak, fragile thing that a human body is. I have been chatting with many other pledgers over the years, and most agree with me. It is *incredible* what that walking transition achieves and how much it makes you think. It's always a little sad to log out afterwards in fact, because I have no ship to augment my feeble human body in the real world. The next best thing is my Tesla car (you may want to google 'Elon Musk', that's another visionary like Mr Roberts, and, surprise surprise, he also has space-related aspirations), but well, it's not quite the same. I'd be tempted to pass a pilot's license for the flying experience, but it's pretty expensive sadly, and the physical limitations of Cessna-class airplanes are probably frustrating when you're used to the Gladius.

Now I understand everyone doesn't feel the same, but please, try and keep this in mind before you criticize. Ask yourself "is my critic objective and constructive or am I slwoly turning into a hater?" before posting. Because negativity breeds negativity. I have seen it happen plenty of times, and not that long ago, another promising project by an old gaming visionary (Shroud of the Avatar) got dragged into that negativity spiral and left the project in a very sorry state, despite it being "released" somehow (remember my point about release?). Yes, we all want the game to happen faster, but it's already available in a limited section of its universe. And that's not even unique: the shameless ripoff that is Elite Odyssey is only available in a limited section of its own universe... And what is there, as I mentioned earlier, is unparalleled in gaming. And with blocking tech items such as vulkan, server meshing as well as the disruptive NPC subsumption that will be an inflexion point in the singularity curve of gaming, this is only getting better. Read this post again in 3 months time because I'm above going "I told you so", it's bad manners. And speaking of bad manners, please stop the misinformation and propaganda about Mr Roberts. Yes, some of his relatives work at his companies, but so what? This is not the first family business in the world, and a grown up responsibility is to provide for their family. Helping your partner/brother/niece to get a job is something we all do if we can. The only difference is the scale of the job/salary, but you know what? As a veteran of gaming and movies, Mr Roberts earned that, and it was powered by us, the fans, buying his previous games or watching his movies. So *we* chose to get him there. And the day I finally get to walk through the corridors of my Idris, I will try not to look too smug as you are there, lined up to salute me while working to save for your own ship.

I was on the fence when I first read this (two days isn't nearly enough but you hit enough of the right notes), well done. Also I can't find the caught up with the thread gif, have this one instead.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Current cloud tech is still in active development and not yet final. There's ongoing work on SDF occlusion which should help alleviate the graphical artifacting (visual dots in the clouds). Additionally, we are working towards having local VFX for the clouds (similar to the gas clouds around rest stops) which will make a big difference in overall quality.

quote:

Performance in Orison is bad, difficult to get 20 FPS at 1080p.
Apparently the washed-out look is down to a limitation with planet tech and how they deal with atmospheric diffusion.

So this is the power of StarEngine. I'm buying a Hull-C.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CubicalSucrose posted:

I was on the fence when I first read this (two days isn't nearly enough but you hit enough of the right notes), well done. Also I can't find the caught up with the thread gif, have this one instead.

How did I miss this one? Well done indeed. It sets up perfectly right on the border of utterly deluded and completely tongue in cheek, to the point that a quick read could give you either impression

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

CubicalSucrose posted:

Play posted:

How did I miss this one? Well done indeed. It sets up perfectly right on the border of utterly deluded and completely tongue in cheek, to the point that a quick read could give you either impression

Belated thank you to you both. I had a good time writing it and cramming as many clichés, delusions, bad faith arguments, false equivalences and irrelevant references as possible while trying to still appear vaguely sane. :iiasb:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

marumaru posted:

I love how aesthetically terrible it looks. It looks like one of those early PS2 levels where they had 256 colors to work with, so the grey of the ground textures does not mesh at all with the colors of the skybox/fog.

Yes, exactly.

Then there are the random bulky tram rails everywhere, which completely defeat the look of a floating cloud city and instead make the whole thing look like a spindly mess connected by rigid tubes that would snap if anything shifted by even a millimeter. And the fact that the skybox fog makes it look like they built the city inside the cloud of presumably highly toxic gas, instead of 1k feet above it. Or the random flying L-shapes that my mind could not parse as anything but geometry errors when I first saw them.

It's so, so ugly

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For some reason I'm reminded of Morrowind or Kotor.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They're also a semi-blatant ripoff of Cloud City from Star Wars.

And how are they floating? Just expending fuel at all times? A thick atmosphere does not mean that gravity disappears for some reason. A light piece of metal can float on a very dense gas, but generally gaseous planets are actually very diffuse; the only thing that would happen is all of those huge pieces of metal would get sucked towards the planets core and crushed by the heat and pressure

I know it's a bit silly to get all scientific with video games that are meant to just be fun, but I always thought one of Star Citizen's main selling points was that it would be true to life and physics in every possible way

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Play posted:

I know it's a bit silly to get all scientific with video games that are meant to just be fun, but I always thought one of Star Citizen's main selling points was that it would be true to life and physics in every possible way

I mean, the guy at the helm based his original efforts on ww2 aircraft carriers and space cats.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Or the random flying L-shapes that my mind could not parse as anything but geometry errors when I first saw them.
lmao i thought that's what it actually was too, someone after falling through the ground and looking upward

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The game is not final yet, fleet building is a bit ethereal. What isn't ethereal is the very real discounts you can acquire by chaining CCU's and getting the first release concepts. I have 2x Carracks which cost $270 each and 2x Banu Merchantman which cost $250 each simply because when the option to buy them at concept or CCU's came up I used my store credit to do it. What would you get for those prices today in the store? A medium fighter? I still have $250 BMM's with LTI in my buyback list. I have a $375 Orion which is now worth $575 as a starting ship for a CCU, and a $400 Hull E which has a CCU value of $650. The 890 Jump was $600 at it's concept launch it now costs $950.

If your store credit is tied up with little tiddlers easy to rent or buy in the game you're kinda stuck, which is a shame since just waiting a while will allow CIG to gift you hundreds of dollars of free ship value in the CCU game. Banu Merchantman's have literally doubled your money for doing nothing and they aren't even in the game yet so their price will increase again. If you have the store credit (melting small ships for example) to grab an Endeavor, a Crucible, a Hull D or a Genesis Starliner at their current (original concept) in-store prices you should definitely do that! Don't forget you will probably be able to sell your ships in the game for literally billions of credits each at that level. Why is the Kraken so darn popular at that price?

It should be noted that large ships in the RSI store are (get this!) cheaper than they will be to acquire in game after Beta release, Chris stated it very early on that ships are being made ridiculously easy to acquire right now to allow players to test them, they will be much harder to acquire after release. Only the top 10% of NPC society in the game can afford any sort of ship at all. Buying ships now is CIG's way of rewarding players today for their support in return for less grind when the game releases - ergo acquire the big ships now if you can, there's not much point in acquiring lot's of little ships with those real world dollars since you can grind for them easily enough later.

Even if you prefer the small ships to play with it's best to at least stock up your buyback list with the larger vessels if you can because it gives a significant discount later and it gives you more options as the ship store closes and we move to Beta.

Let me give an example. The Banu Merchantman at it's concept launch was $250 with LTI, as of this week it's price is $500 with no LTI. If you had one in your fleet or buyback list from it's concept launch (as I do) then you got it/can always get it at $250 with LTI since ship and package buybacks are always at the price you originally paid. In the game the Banu Merchantman is a rare and sought after alien ship - when they talk about 'Alien Tax' they assume it is just for the RSI website store, but actually the alien tax is in the game universe.

Would you rather get an Endeavour or Orion now for $350 or wait and see it's cost go to $700+, and find that it takes 6 months of grind in the game after launch? If you already owned 3 or 4 small ships around $100 now and found they took about 1 week to grind for in the game wouldn't you feel a bit miffed come launch day when you realise you could have gone top tier profession ship from day one? Remember everything you do in the Alpha stage will be lost when it goes Beta. Meanwhile you can rent or buy the smaller cheaper ships in the game.

Just a thought.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Play posted:

And how are they floating? Just expending fuel at all times? A thick atmosphere does not mean that gravity disappears for some reason.

Actually I think you'll find that Dr. Chris Roberts PhD proved that gravity is much weaker in the upper atmosphere than at the surface.

Also I found out where Star Citizens got their marketing skills:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1404958208960126976

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Everyone focused on the bear and all I can see is that awesome mess hall- a little something something for the backers :wink:

Fun fact: The mess hall in SC was named after the project management that is a mess.

The same name used in the military is just a coincidence.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

eXXon posted:

Actually I think you'll find that Dr. Chris Roberts PhD proved that gravity is much weaker in the upper atmosphere than at the surface.

Also that high G maneuvers will make a pilot lose consciousness but not someone standing next to the pilot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

marumaru posted:

The idea of a floating city on a gas giant is cool but the art direction in SC is so bad it just looks like a a city map has bugged out and objects are being stretched.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

To the Art team at CIG: posted:

I don't care how much it gets said, it doesn't get said enough. All the artists at CIG are phenomenal. Top to bottom. All of you. Yes even you, guy-who-did-the-work-for-our-space-toilets-and-coffee-mugs. This game is such an incredible show of video games as art. I don't know how many gigabytes of screen shots I have, but they're all stunning thanks to the artists at CIG.

Thanks guys.

*Disclaimer. I don't know video game dev words. When I say 'artists' I mean everyone that has anything to do with making the game look great. Particles... textures... lighting... *ahem* clouds... what have you. All artists IMO.

quote:

You've got my vote. A non-cartoon-graphics game with a stunning level of fidelity - and this is still EARLY ALPHA. Let that sink in: from this moment forward, Star Citizen will never look WORSE than right now, and it will look FAR BETTER when they actually get to polish time in Beta.

To understand that with the current level of fidelity makes me all giddy on the inside.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

marumaru posted:

Those colors remind me of Frontier: Elite II. I loved the wacky colors in Frontier. Space was blue.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

That was my first thought as well. Old school Vivec.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Play posted:

They're also a semi-blatant ripoff of Cloud City from Star Wars.

And how are they floating? Just expending fuel at all times? A thick atmosphere does not mean that gravity disappears for some reason. A light piece of metal can float on a very dense gas, but generally gaseous planets are actually very diffuse; the only thing that would happen is all of those huge pieces of metal would get sucked towards the planets core and crushed by the heat and pressure

What they meant by realistic was actually high polygon models and 8K textures. That's where the reality ends.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Is Turbulent really capable of cobbling together a techdemo that doesn't crash every half hour?

lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

The idea of a floating city on a gas giant is cool but the art direction in SC is so bad it just looks like a a city map has bugged out and objects are being stretched.

It's an ugly Mother Base from MGSV I think?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

The game is not final yet, fleet building is a bit ethereal. What isn't ethereal is the very real discounts you can acquire by chaining CCU's and getting the first release concepts. I have 2x Carracks which cost $270 each and 2x Banu Merchantman which cost $250 each simply because when the option to buy them at concept or CCU's came up I used my store credit to do it. What would you get for those prices today in the store? A medium fighter? I still have $250 BMM's with LTI in my buyback list. I have a $375 Orion which is now worth $575 as a starting ship for a CCU, and a $400 Hull E which has a CCU value of $650. The 890 Jump was $600 at it's concept launch it now costs $950.

If your store credit is tied up with little tiddlers easy to rent or buy in the game you're kinda stuck, which is a shame since just waiting a while will allow CIG to gift you hundreds of dollars of free ship value in the CCU game.

For the life of me I have no idea how to parse these words.

But good lord just look at this. Its supposed to be a videogame and the guy sounds like he's knee deep into cryptocurrency.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Honestly, star citizen and cryptocurrency is a match made in heaven, for various reasons. I'm even a little surprised they haven't launched CitizenCoin or whatever

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Play posted:

Honestly, star citizen and cryptocurrency is a match made in heaven, for various reasons. I'm even a little surprised they haven't launched CitizenCoin or whatever

I don’t think it’ll ever happen.

They can’t really want too much attention, it would just shine more light on all this mess.

(Besides NFTs would be more inline with the JPEG factory they have set up. )

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Titanic posted:

I hope all those clouds will have sentient AI that makes them indistinguishable from real clouds. Flying through a cloud in game should have emotional impact to that cloud. Does it get more dense? Did you separate it from a part of its cloud it liked most? Will it have anger towards that player and remember them next time they encounter each other?
Reminds me of a scifi novel I read one time where a ship went on a mission to find the origin of some signals. The source ended up being a sentient nebula that was sending out distress signals because it was lonely and wanted friends (or something along those lines, it's been a while). When the visitors tried to leave, the nebula got angry, tried to keep them there by force, and they had to figure out a way to escape. Maybe Chris Roberts is planning on incorporating promising a similar gameplay loop to backers?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

Today's wander through the garden of mass delusion over at Spectrum sees them discussing life insurance and taxes - apparently these 2 exciting features are coming soon to this its-a-spacegame-honest.

Nothing screams Star Wars fantasy more than life insurance premiums. I can only imagine the emergent gameplay.

they are truly hosed in the head

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zaphod42 posted:

For the life of me I have no idea how to parse these words.

But good lord just look at this. Its supposed to be a videogame and the guy sounds like he's knee deep into cryptocurrency.

What you're supposed to take away from these words:

YOU CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO BUY THESE SHIPS.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

it was exactly the same for me i tought about morrowind

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

duuuuude

Rascal_Rockhog
Dec 4, 2011

Now, that's a nice post
Can someone explain what LTI means.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
It means Lifetime Insurance. The problem is nobody knows what that means, including CI-G.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rascal_Rockhog posted:

Well, you see, it's insurance that is incredibly important and you must buy it with all your ships. It's absolutely not even worth buying a ship without it.

Also LTI is no longer available, only ships bought before they pulled it in 2013 can have it (edit: actually it still does exist if you buy a package that costs over $1000, apparently). That's ok because LTI isn't a must-have thing, just a nice perk for backers who got in early and paid extra for it.

Currently LTI is not actually in the game so no one knows the true value of it, but they sure are willing to pay for it. Hope that helps!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rascal_Rockhog posted:

LIFETIMEINSURANCE!!

it means that no one can take away your vidjagame spaceships .
imagine playing chess but no one can take away any of your pieces.
or if they are taken they respawn.

sounds like big fun doesnt it