Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Only Kindness posted:

Also what sort of incompetent is this Huckaby person that he's basically leaking to this zero-charisma twerp? It's unprofessional as gently caress, if it even happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Upside Down Cakette Taxxe

Did you know: cats do this because human faces look better to them upside down.

(Note: I just made this up.)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

colonelwest posted:

I know the faithful still believe that they are building dozens of systems for SQ42. But who even knows what kind of game it’s supposed to be at this point? Like everything we’ve seen is just canned missions with tons of cutscenes, not some big open world experience.
I hope they are wasting all these resources to create multiple star systems, each one is mostly empty except for a single corridor shooter level and you spend half an hour travelling between them. After each successful mission and before you can move on to other system, there is another 1/2 hour cutscene very reminiscent of Wing Commander movie, but your character's love interest is played by Sandi.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 27, 2023

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Only Kindness posted:

what sort of incompetent is this Huckaby person that he's basically leaking to this zero-charisma twerp?

Hope this helps.

Dwesa posted:

you character's love interest is played by Sandi.

So you're saying SQ42 is an horror game.

And in other OT news, Dead Space remake finally unlocks on PC in a few hours, can't wait.

Looks like another win for greedy publishers and AAA copypaste kids games, sorry citizens. :negative:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 27, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

"It might take another decade, and I understand why people are upset with that possibility but in my eyes, it doesn't matter how long it takes, because this game will not only be the first of its kind, it will change the gaming industry in ways we can not really fathom yet." :yarg:

Sometimes you wish that you could grab these people and and try to shake some sense into them while screaming that it's just a video game. When you get in deeper than how Ben feels about Wing Commander then you're just too far gone to be saved maybe.
Ben is obsessed with WC and will ramble on about how personally important it is to him, which is fine, but I don't recall ever seeing him say anything about how it changed the world.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
In 1997 Shigeru Miyamoto started work on the game he always wanted to play: Mario Universe, a complex physics-based 3D MMO platforming game.

Following the success of Mario 64 Nintendo have him free reign to make something truly exceptional. He assembled what is widely considered the best development team ever to take on the herculean vision he had in mind.

Development stared quickly, using the engine from SEGA's Virtua Fighter 3tb, licensed because it was praised for its skin reflection and fluidity of hair animation. A demo level ("Mario's garden") was shown at E3 1999 to great acclaim, with reviewers praising the "exceptional quality of textures on Mario's house" and the "quality of carrot-picking animations".

When asked why Mario couldn't move, lead developer John Romero noted it was still being worked on, the team wanting to "take the time to make a truly next-generation movement scheme, tied not just to thumbsticks and buttons, but engaging the player in an exceptional way". In later interviews, Romero said that they were held back with regard to the movement system by the limited quality and hitch cost of theremins.

As development continued, Nintendo's management was not happy that a character seen as essential to their profit margin would be involved in a "free to play" game, but the team refused to compromise on the vision Miyamoto had for the game. As a result, it is widely believed that it was during this period that the map screen was removed.

The full extent of Mario Universe's original vision was so detailed that Miyamoto had Mario running on land, water, the air and at any height. Two months later, after a prototype version of the game was presented to Nintendo, they finally gave in and allowed development to proceed at a far more aggressive pace.

The game's final retail version was so big that it was split in two, with a Super Mario World style "Grand Kingdom" three-player co-op game to tell the story of how Mario arrived at home, and a game that never got a name, "Kingdom Star Universe", for play on one's own. The moniker was often taken on-site at R&D and given to scenes where Mario arrived in the game. In addition to removing the large design team's name from the title screen, it also removed the CEO's name from the credits. "I get blamed for the destruction of free-to-play for Mario, and blame the CEO for the whole debacle"

In June 2000, Miyamoto announced that Nintendo would host a closed beta test for the game. Although Nintendo didn't release a release date, and there were worries that the team would be over-extended, Miyamoto assured the public that the game would be ready for release in the summer of 2000.

By 2011, development was ongoing. The game still lacked any sort of a release date and the team had been working on it for 15 years. In the meantime, Nintendo released four Mario series games and more than a dozen spin-off titles, most of them also co-developed with different development teams.

During this time, the game was being developed by three different teams, one based in Japan, one in Korea, and one in Europe, with the majority of the team based at Nintendo's newly built Design & Development Center in Redmond, WA.

In January 2017, it was reported that the game would be released in April 2017. Nintendo of America's President and CEO Reggie Fils-Aime appeared at an event with Square Enix to reveal the game as the eighth main entry in the Super Mario series and would be released exclusively on Nintendo Switch.

Backlash by then-CEO and two-time President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata and Ken Berry led to a policy change from the development team. Miyamoto announced that Mario would return to development and announced Chris Roberts as Art director.

According to Ueda, M2, Naka and Nintendo President Satoru Iwata created four types of characters for the game:

Koopas - strong melee fighters that had to be closed in on to perform attacks, also performed wall-jumping. I'm told that they were designed to look like a band of garbage men, with the hat to make them more menacing.

Ponies - we're told that they were based on the four colors of old-fashioned pony ribbons, and were meant to be helpful and agile.

Theremines - this one may be a reference to the peculiar and helpful security guards that can be found throughout the Mushroom Kingdom.

Other characters - these are purely fictitious, but those in the know tell us that they are based on the buildings of the world of Mario that have been swallowed up by the game's landscape. We're not entirely sure, but they are likely to be unique to the game and not seen outside of it.

There are some other characters in the game, but they may never make it to the final release.

Is this a true story?

Yes. The whole thing is true, according to people who are working on the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

At this point they should just turn Star Citzen into a bar crawl simulator.

It practically already is minus the simulator.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

This remake is loving great!

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

lmfao this is a really enjoyable post

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Here's my Steam list of games I categorise as "space"

I got a new PC recently and haven't re-installed a lot of them as you can see.

How is Cosmoteer? I played the demo and felt that I'd already seen most of what the game had to offer, so I'm wondering how the full game is.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

So you need to pick your lost items at a lost&found, but they haven't implemented it yet, so instead of returning them automatically they are lost forever? Every drat thing about this game is so messed up.

Lost: Ortwin and $546 million USD.
Found: 1 x Chris Roberts (high on "vitamins") and 1 x Cryengine mod (non-functional).

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Not sure if you didn't list RimWorld as it isn't space enough (and, without certain mods, would be fair), but you did put Stranded: Alien Dawn on there, and that's pretty much just FDev's attempt at making a 3D RimWorld clone. If you liked that at all, you should try RimWorld. I've played over 3,000 hours of RimWorld at this point, so I feel some need to advertise for it.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Viscous Soda posted:

How is Cosmoteer? I played the demo and felt that I'd already seen most of what the game had to offer, so I'm wondering how the full game is.

It gets a bit boring and repetitive after you've played it for a bit, but then I thought that about FTL so if you enjoyed that, you'd probably enjoy Cosmoteer - the ship building is fun though. I actually prefer Space Haven, I think it's a much better game.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

GaylordButts posted:

Not sure if you didn't list RimWorld as it isn't space enough (and, without certain mods, would be fair), but you did put Stranded: Alien Dawn on there, and that's pretty much just FDev's attempt at making a 3D RimWorld clone. If you liked that at all, you should try RimWorld. I've played over 3,000 hours of RimWorld at this point, so I feel some need to advertise for it.

Yeah I've played a lot of RimWorld, I just didn't categorise it as "space" for some reason ("sci fi" is the closest category I've given it). Subnautica probably qualifies as "space" as well, come to think of it. Might add them both.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

but your character's love interest is played by Sandi.

oof! yikes! bummer and also *holds pistol to his head and pulls trigger*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

"It might take another decade, and I understand why people are upset with that possibility but in my eyes, it doesn't matter how long it takes, because this game will not only be the first of its kind, it will change the gaming industry in ways we can not really fathom yet." :yarg:

All this will standardize is the amount of money people are willing to spend for single pieces of dlc.

Glad for it. I've been thinking that video games have been too accessible lately. I think like in madden if you have a team you may as well pay about the cost of that team in real life to some fraction. You also should probably pay their salaries too (like insurance so that they stay).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Made a gif of the bar/ dancing section in the latest ISC so you guys can enjoy it too. :lesnick:

Honestly it's perfect.

Its exactly what the game needs. More animations that people can just sit there and watch and not play the game.

Get in more and more of these and you'll be an MMO in no time because there's no actual game to play.

:trustme: Let them eat /dance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bet the bartender AI works really well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

At this point they should just turn Star Citzen into a bar crawl simulator.

That's not the game... that's the job. :grin:

At least for the blessed employees vacationing around the world on those "bar citizen" nonsense.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Made a gif of the bar/ dancing section in the latest ISC so you guys can enjoy it too. :lesnick:

i cant stop watching this help

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I got a new PC recently and haven't re-installed a lot of them as you can see.

Just wanted to jump in on this and ask

I didn't see this on your list, but is the star wars Squadrons any good or at least fun? I got it for free on epic or Amazon, I don't remember, but I haven't ever gotten around to playing it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Squadrons, it's pretty quick to play through. Worth giving it a shot if you like arcade style space flight sims.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
The safest bet at this point is that Sandi will not be a love interest, so don't fret peeps

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dwesa posted:

but your character's love interest is played by Sandi.

Is the tickle scene a QTE?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

holtemon posted:

Just wanted to jump in on this and ask

I didn't see this on your list, but is the star wars Squadrons any good or at least fun? I got it for free on epic or Amazon, I don't remember, but I haven't ever gotten around to playing it

In vr with hotas is amazingly fun, multiplayer a bit dead these days though

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Space Haven is indeed great. Gets really challenging at the harder difficulties too.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

PEScat explains why ropes are super important.

quote:

Ropes can be used to climb rock faces and buildings, but also rope simulation applies to refuelling hoses and electrical cables to run a bypass on damaged parts of ship relays. So it covers exploration gameplay, game world traversal for missions, refuelling, engineer gameplay. It could be used for hoist slings to transport large objects by ships, it can be used to capture and tie up people and creatures. Lot's of possible uses.

quote:

Lot's

:negative:

CIG totally has tons of stuff ready, we just haven't seen it!

quote:

How on earth do you know what they have done or not? Why do you get question what are priorities? You haven't seen Squadron 42 anymore than anyone else and we know they have features and mechanics for that that will come to the PU.

This is a test-bed alpha, it's running at maximum server capacity to test limited features only. You are the one assuming the only things you see in the PU are the only things they have ready for when the server architecture can support them.

Why are they re-making Lorville? Because when Lorville was first designed it was made to run on one server holding the whole Stanton system.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 28, 2023

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

CIG totally has tons of stuff ready, we just haven't seen it!

quote:

How on earth do you know what they have done or not? Why do you get question what are priorities? You haven't seen Squadron 42 anymore than anyone else and we know they have features and mechanics for that that will come to the PU.

This is a test-bed alpha, it's running at maximum server capacity to test limited features only. You are the one assuming the only things you see in the PU are the only things they have ready for when the server architecture can support them.

Why are they re-making Lorville? Because when Lorville was first designed it was made to run on one server holding the whole Stanton system.

I love how this guy will throw out something like 'How on earth do you know what they have done or not?', then immediately two seconds later claim to know what they have done.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
...and in the next sentence asserts something as fact that itself an assumption i.e. a guess i.e. made-up, and then immediately accuses the other person of making assumptions!

THIS loving GUY

I wasn't expecting him to be blasting ropes around either. I was talking about Death Stranding earlier, and that actually does have ropes that work as you would expect!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Can you step on the ropes, and will the game accurately simulate the blockage of gases or fluids caused by a kink in a hosepipe? Can a traitorous crew member prevent the passage of gravity goo through a hose by kinking it, and how will this effect stealth gameplay? Will a starship's internal security AI detect the low pressure gravity goo, and how will security guards respond? Will pirates be able to tie characters up with gravity goo hoses? Will there be a concept sale for a hose-gameplay focused ship?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Hose physics/gameplay is the first iteration of technology that will eventually lead to the development of a pipeline permitting the developers to create sandworms with the minimum of effort

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

Can you step on the ropes, and will the game accurately simulate the blockage of gases or fluids caused by a kink in a hosepipe? Can a traitorous crew member prevent the passage of gravity goo through a hose by kinking it, and how will this effect stealth gameplay? Will a starship's internal security AI detect the low pressure gravity goo, and how will security guards respond? Will pirates be able to tie characters up with gravity goo hoses? Will there be a concept sale for a hose-gameplay focused ship?

yes

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dead Space remake is a real banger

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Can a player siphon fuel from one ship to another with just a plastic hose and their superior sucking skills (tied to the Stamina stat)?

colonelwest posted:

Finally another one touched by the marker, I was feeling alone around here.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Finally another one touched by the marker, I was feeling alone around here.

Yeah it’s excellent. Pretty much the perfect modern recreation of Dead Space. They kept the core of the game intact, put in some gorgeous graphics, and tweaked the gameplay and exploration just enough for it to feel fresh. It’s amazing what happens when EA stops trend chasing and just lets it’s studios make good games.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The gamers are crying about the Dead Space remake being woke.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, obviously, when do they not cry about things being "woke". Or how game lady not make pp hard. Waah waah. gently caress Gamers.

Good news about DSr, I'll play it eventually. EA getting spooked by the failure of high-profile GAAS poo poo and the unexpected success of SWJFO (unexpected by EA execs I mean, not by everyone else) that they pivot to making singleplayer games... successes like HZD, GoW, GoT, TLoU just add to it.

Whomst amongst ust wouldst havest thoughtest that making boring slog games that feel like work wasn't sustainable in the end?

And talking of boring slogs, as if by magic, almost as if I'd planned it, we're back to shart citizen! (has anyone said shart citizen yet)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ropes will not be fully implemented until fibre meshing is ready later this year

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Last screenshot from Dead Space remake, just to show how they changed Stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Yes, but see that derilect Bengal Carrier over there ... You can fit 3 Dead Spaces in there!